Brookdale Mandarin Central - Jacksonville, FL

Brookdale Mandarin Central - Jacksonville, FL has yet not published prices.

Seperate Building For Memory Care

What I really like about this community is that there are 2 separate locations one for assisted living which is across the street from this location and then they have the memory care building. My sister in law is still trying to adjust to being here but day by day it seems to be getting better. The staff has been very patient and understanding with her and with us. She is meeting new people and starting to make some friends. She is really enjoying the food. We would recommend this community to anyone.

Not Able to Provide The Care We Needed

Unfortunately this community was not able to provide the care my father needed once his dementia got worse. They were honest, and also they suggested another community that would work for us.

Pleased with This Community

My love on is doing as well as can be expected since his move to this community. However I do feel comfortable with his move to this community. This is a nice community, and they do have good intentions for your love one.

Friendly Staff!!

I thought this place was a great experience with lots of great amenities available to all of the residents. The staff where very friendly and made sure to make my my mother and I feel very welcomed into there facility. I just did not think this was the right fit for her with all things in mind at the end of the day. Overall great experience and I am pleased.

Warm and loving professionals are in charge of this facility. Very clean and apartment style room is like new! So happy with this choice of care.

Other options for care

I toured this community. I did not like that they had a hole due to a storm It did not have a pleasant odor. The staff were nice and answered the questions we had. I was not happy with this community and would not recommend this for anyone. The only positive was the price for the care.

Choose Carefully

I have hesitated to write this review since Mom's moving in, first off I'm new to dementia so it's hard to know what is expected from a facility in terms of care and overall assistance, it is termed as "assisted living, memory care".
I personally stand by the rule that you do not park a loved one in a facility and assume all is taken care of, I do however anticipate the given standards of communication. One would expect that this communication would be between the caregivers at your carefully chosen facility and family rather than the communication between the resident with dementia and family, which is never a true picture of what is going on.
Being a first time, only child taking on the responsibility of a Mom with the first stages of dementia I find Brookdale Mandarin Central disappointing. My reasons are primarily in their lack of communication. If I did not call to check on any aspect of my Mom's care and well being I would never hear from anyone at the facility. I have one person with whom I'm in contact with and who truly responds to my questions, if not for her I would never have chosen this facility and if she were no longer working there I would make immediate alternate plans to move Mom. This facility is grossly understaffed, they lack simple communication skills and their cleaning is non existent. My Mom has lived there well over a month, I personally had to BEG for a plunger to unclog her toilet on a Sunday afternoon because the regular maintenance man only comes in the morning. I unclogged the toilet myself after several pleas for a plunger and finally calling the facility phone number from her room to say there would soon be an over flowing toilet in her entire room . Nobody cared if she had an overflowing toilet in her room, plain and simple.
To the best of my observations her small two room apartment has never been vacuumed, her bathroom sink and toilet never cleaned or sanitized before the clogged toilet and dirty dishes in her kitchen sink never washed.
I visit Mom on a regular basis and as of 8 days ago, she is still wearing the same clothing. I do not believe she has showered since she moved in.
While I believe it is my ultimate responsibility for my Mom's well being and care, I do think "assisted living" in accordance to their brochure includes daily communication, help with dressing and bathing as needed, periodic assessment of your loved one's stages as they advance thru dementia and the necessary care, light housekeeping, and much more. We are very short changed to say the least.
My advice to anyone choosing a facility for their loved one is to tour several places several times, talk to the families of the residents extensively, be involved with a support group to know what to expect.
I'm totally at a loss as to my next steps because I did not have the luxury of making well informed advanced decisions.

A great place

My mom is happy and getting the help she needs

My mom is pleased with the place.

My Mother is In Good Hands Here

Everything is working out very well for my mother here, and I'am pleased with all they done for us. They are taking good care of my mother and her needs. The staff is great, they are very courteous and attentive. It is a very nice looking community, they do a good job with the cleaning. There are activities offered for her when she ready to participate She says the meals are nice. I know she is being cared for well here. This is nice, safe community and I would recommend it.

Brookdale Mandarin Central is a family oriented community!!

The staff are excellent and keep me apprised of my Mother in law's health. The food is not as good as I hoped it would be. The community is clean and I would recommend it. They offer some activities and she does participate in a few. A Place for Mom was a good resource for us.

Very Helpful Staff

This is a nice community with great people. They have a great staff at this community. They are very helpful and kind. The community looks good and clean. There are activities through out the week for the residents. The residents are sweet and friendly. They serve very good food here, no complaints there. It is a good community and a very pleasant environment for your loved one.

Mixed experience

We had somewhat of a mixed experience with Brookdale Mandarin Central. It was a nice enough place in terms of the facility itself, and the staff seemed very friendly and kind. However, it just did not end up being a good fit for us in terms of care. I think a little more one on one care and management of the residents would have helped, my loved one had an issue with other residents being able to get into her room.

Worst place ever

I would not recommend this facility! My father was evaluated before going in and within 2 days of placing him they said he was not a fit there and we had to remove him and was forced to pay for an extra 30 days. We would visit and find him stuck on the floor with no assistance to get up, his linens missing, his roommate locking him out of the room, he didn't get fed breakfast because he over slept. This facility caused hardship and pain.

It's going much better than expected!

We made the decision to move my brother in law into Brookdale since he needs more care than what we can provide. I was thinking that it would be a hard time for him but it's actually the exact opposite. He's made some friends and even participated in some of the activities! The staff are very kind, gentle, tender, and caring which is exactly what the residents need considering the situation. They serve three hot meals per day and snacks in between time and I haven't heard any complaints! In fact, he is doing a lot better health wise since he's moved in! I would absolutely recommend them!

Mixed experience

We've had a somewhat mixed experience with Brookdale Mandarin Central. For the most part it's a nice looking, clean, well kept community, and the staff seem friendly. However, there are a few things I think they could work on. I'd like to see them improve the level of care they provide, and I also think they could do more to get the residents involved in activities.

Toured, very nice looking place!

I toured this community while looking into care options for a loved one. The facility was well kept and clean, and all of the staff I met seemed friendly and professional. I really preferred the one story layout this community had to the high rise setup some locations use. However, I don't think the care was the best match for what my loved one was needing at the time. Overall it seems like a nice place, and is definitely worth a look!

smaller facility

My mom does not participate in any activities so that would be hard for me to rate. I like the most that it is a small facility. They have 1 floor and 1 level. It was recently updated.

Brookdale Mandarin Central. A great place for our loved one.

While my loved one has only been at Brookdale Mandarin Central for just more than a month, I am very pleased with the choice we made for her. It is clean; there is no "nursing home" smell, and the staff is friendly and knowledgeable.
I spent a great deal of time researching facilities in the Jacksonville area, and Brookdale offered the greatest number of services and activities -- at any cost.
My sister was very upset about moving into a care facility, but she has settled in nicely and is very happy. When I visit, she is out of her room participating in activities or visiting with other residents. She also enjoys the outings (other facilities didn't make this a part of the residents' experience}. Finally, she thoroughly enjoys the food!

They were extremely nice to work with.

This is one of the places we considered when looking. They were extremely nice to work with. We ended up going with a Brookdale that was closer to us, and we are very happy with them so far. I think this would have been just as good.

Very good facility - I would stay there if I needed that care!

All the staff are really great and the cook and food are wonderful. The facility is older but kept clean and all the residents seem to socialize well together. One resident acts as the leader and she keeps things moving. The staff all seem to be concerned with the well being of the residents.

They are primarily for those who have mild memory loss and still function at a pretty high level.

The entrance could use some pressure washing to remove dirt, etc and make it more appealing.

I have visited on numerous occasions and I have yet to see any activities lead by the facility staff. I was told they utilized a large screen tv for many different activities but again I have not seen that. I believe if it were not for the resident ambassador, there would be little going on!

Excellent community for memory care

I'll start by saying that the care here is excellent. It's not the newest or most beautiful building, but the staff are extremely empathetic, professional, and caring. However, 95% of the population here has dementia or Alzheimer's to some degree, and my loved one is really feeling isolated socially. If you are looking into memory care this place would be an excellent choice, but it just isn't working out well in our case. They also seem to have a very high rate of staff turnover, even higher than is normal for these types of communities.

Brookdale Mandarin Central offers Alzheimer's and dementia care options in Jacksonville, Florida. Our secure memory care community is Florida's only free-standing early stage Alzheimer's and dementia care community.

Our community was specifically developed to help people with early-stage dementia with our Clare Bridge Crossings program. This specialized program builds on the growing body of aging research that shows well designed programs can help sustain mental functions often impacted in the early to early-middle stages of Alzheimer's and related dementias.

Relax on our patio with friends, stroll around our courtyard or tap into your artistic side in our gallery, at Brookdale Mandarin Central there is something for everyone to enjoy. We offer a variety of amenities and activities, including:

Garden club
Wii sports
Wheel watchers club
Horseshoes
Karaoke

Our exceptional blend of hospitality, service and genuine care help loved ones continue their life story in a place they will feel comfortable to call home.