Brookdale Hawthorn Lakes - Vernon Hills, IL

I went to view this property. Very nice but very high community fee of 3500.

Again, the tour was wonderful and working with [name removed] made everything easy. Thank you!

Very impressed with facility. Moving forward to see if we can get all ducks in a row.

We liked the facility and feel our MIL would fit in well with the other residents. The rooms were spacious, we were surprised to see the filth in one room of a recently departed resident. The carpet was trashed. Of course they rehab each room when the resident departs. The cost of care seemed more expensive than other places we visited.

Many activities offered

While trying to find a place for my loved one, we didn’t necessarily tour many properties. However, when we first toured here, my loved one immediately wanted to live here. Then we just began the process in doing so. When you first walk in it feel like you are walking into a contemporary hotel at Disney. They keep everything neat and organized and they decorate the facility for the holidays. They just had their Halloween decorations up and now they’re starting for Thanksgiving. The staff team really pays attention to their tenants which is a big plus. The residents have many activities/amenities offered to them. There is a morning exercise class every day at 9:30am, there is a gym if you want to work out on your own, they have bingo, there’s movie night, every Saturday they have concerts, and once a week that have outings. The outings could be taking the residents to restaurants or shopping at the mall. There’s also a hair dresser on site and we just realized that my loved one’s doctor has an office in the building as well. This has been really ideal. The food is great, you go in and sit down, and you have that feeling of being in a restaurant. They give you a menu and they change the options daily. The residents are getting a well-balanced diet with the options given. Overall, I would recommend this location to others.

Good Experience

I had a pleasant tour of this community. Everyone was very kind, and informative. The staff was very friendly, and caring towards their residents. The experience was overall a good one.

In Law Is Doing Well In This Community

My in-law is still adjusting to his move to this community, but so far we are comfortable with his move here. They have met some new friends, they are pleased with the meals they provide. The staff is great, and they are taking good care of their needs. Overall we know they are safe, and in good hands in this community.

I did like Brookdale but am so surprised that independent living residences don't contain small room safes for valuables (much like one would find on a cruise ship or hotel). Brookdale needs more than 2 elevators. I have been there twice and each time the residents have to wait too long for the elevators to arrive.

A little pricey

The staff at this community seem pretty good. They do offer daily activities and they keep the community clean. The food is good and healthy. The cost of this community is not all inclusive as they charge for any additional care services needed. If you could afford it I would recommend this community.

Impressed with Our Tour

I had a very nice tour of this community. The staff was very friendly too my family, and I. The community looked very nice, and clean. It was a nice experience, everything went very well. We were very impressed with our tour of this community. There were many factors that played into where to move my mother. This is a very nice place, but it was the one for us.

We love it!

The staff here has been totally awesome. The community is always kept clean and neat. They offer a lot of activities that mom has been getting involved in. We really are pleased with this community.

No washer/dryer in units--a deal breaker for me.

Great Experience For Us Here

We didn't move into this community, but our experiences were very nice. We did not move into the community, because we needed a community with memory care. They do not provide that type of care. Everyone was very understanding when we told them we couldn't move here. They refunded us all our money and wished us the best with everything. The service's they provide are outstanding. The staff is lovely and very kind. Overall this is an outstanding community.

Great Tour!!

The community has various activities offered on site and of site for their residents. During my tour the guide was able to show me all around and i got to meet some nice staff. The community looked clean. Meals are also offered to residents that reside there and would like to be on the communities meal plan.

Brookdale at Hawthorne Lakes

It feels like a good place to be for this later stage of my life. All the amenities I possibly need.

A Great Place

My experience with the Brookdale staff has been a great. Everyone from the wait staff to the personal care givers are very responsive to the residents needs and treat them great. The personnel is very good at keeping me updated with my parents care. The community also offers a wide range of care from independent living to personal care. They even offer PT at this community! As a family, we eat there regularly and I think the food is awesome. The overall experience has been excellent, I would definitely recommend this community.

Nice place, overall

Overall our experience with Brookdale Hawthorn Lakes has been a good one. The facility is clean and well kept, and the staff is friendly, professional, and takes good care of the residents. Many of the residents here have a very high level of care, so I'm always impressed by their quick response time to the in-room call buttons. My loved one has had very good things to say about the food!

Staff is very involved

My mother has adapted well since moving to Brookdale. Things are going good there, there she is currently in the hospital with pnuemonia, but that is not the community's fault at all. The staff there is very involved with the residents and they have events and activities constantly to keep everyone busy and happy.

Review of Brookdale Hawthorn Lakes - Vernon Hills, IL

Updated apartments. No dishwashers but very big with lots of closet space. Can have own washer dryer unit in apartment at a one time cost of 1500.00 installed in a closet by Brookdale. Includes 2 meals a day no assigned seating in dining room. Lots of activities and center of complex has an open concept with a mezzanine on the second floor. All floors above look over the mezzanine.

mother has not been encouraged

My mother has been Brookdale Hawthorn a week and the communication between the different shifts has not be good. My mother has not been encouraged to participate in anything there. She is in the assisted living because she feel and the nurses are taking her to the independent living for her meals. The assisted living residents are so out of it and even mean to her. A lot of the young staff members don't even get the instructions right. Some of the staff are just marvelous though. One of them that is nickname Jay went above and beyond for us. Michelle is also wonderful. When my mother needs assistance they take too long. My mother is getting no socialization at all here and that is a big concern. Also the staff need much better communication with each other as to what does or does not need to be done. We are going to see how things go in the next few weeks and then decide if we need to find a new facility.

The staff is extremely friendly

The staff is extremely friendly. They really aim to please. The facility is nice. The food is good. They really try hard there. Overall It has been a really good experience at the Brookdale Hawthorn Lakes. The friendliness, care services, and activities are excellent. They offer a lot of activities. I am just really pleased with them. This is a really nice community. I would recommend it to anyone.

The staff we have encountered so far have all been very pleasant and friendly. Some things in my mom's apartment that were supposed to have been taken care of a month ago have still not, so that's a little disappointing. Overall, still good - it's about the environment, people, and care.

Great

I found everyone to be very pleasant and helpful during this move with my mom. It make things so much easier.

Not quite right for mom.

My mom lived on the assisted living side for 6 months. She never was very happy in that time so we had to try something else and found another community. We had hopes that she would move to the Independent Living side when she recovered enough but when it became more apparent that she would remain Assisted Living we needed to find something more comfortable and inviting for her. She became depressed here. It is a beautiful area with the lake and such but still wasn't the right place for her. The food was just ok. I had to stay on top of the billing each month since they continuously would try to overbill for some nursing services that I know my mom didn't use. Some nursing and pal staff was excellent while others were below par. Some of her therapy services were great (kudos to her PT!) while others were a bit disappointing. Also, the place was a bit too big and overwhelming for her..too spread out and inconvenient for a person in a wheelchair. Therapy was clear on the other side of the community. We had high hopes for this place but they didn't quite cut it for our mom.

Hawthorn Lakes is beautiful...

Hawthorn Lakes is beautiful. It was a wonderful, informative tour. Nancy provided so much information and was very pleasant and professional.

Close Runner-Up

Our family toured this community, and it was a pleasant experience. We all met with Ronda, who was very nice and did a very good job of showing us around. This community is very nice inside. They were willing to allow us to customize the room. They also had lots of activities and opportunities for socialization. It was definitely a close runner-up. The main reason that we didn't pick this place was because the entrance looked that that of an ER or a hospital. It was not particularly inviting. Once you were inside, it was nice, but it reminds you of all the medical problems your loved one may have.

Good So Far

I think they're friendly enough. It's expensive but if my parents are being taken care of it's worth it.

They go the extra mile!

My parents are very happy at Hawthorne and I am too. They are very attentive. They truly go out of their way to make sure all their needs are met. It's the little things like mom and dad were at a doctor's appointment. The driver from the community dropped them off and was waiting in the office for them when they were done. They really go the extra mile. Maybe just the food could be improved but other than that my parents have been blessed. I don't have to worry.

I Loved The Activites

My husband and I lived in a senior residence there. It's not and assisted living or anything. I enjoyed it very much but my husband didn't like it so we moved out. I enjoyed the activities. They had exercise classes everyday and entertainment and a lot of theme meals and little treats. There were lots of things going on. I still go over there for a knitting group.

Big and Spread out

This community just seemed too big for what we were looking for. It was really big and spread out. It has a very resort like feel to it. I just felt like they would have difficulty navigating the community with all the buildings and open space.

Made the tour with Ronda. N...

Made the tour with Ronda. Nice place we are scheduling an assement of my dad, to see what needs they feel he needs, hope fully we can work something out.

Brookdale Plaza Hawthorne Lakes I provides a full range of choices for today's seniors. Choosing a senior living community represents a lifestyle choice and we understand that our residents are choosing much more than a comfortable living environment to call home. Our Brookdale community delivers Inspired Independent Living, with the promise of Exceptional Experiences Everyday. In choosing this community, our residents have made a conscious lifestyle decision designed to deliver enhanced opportunities for pursuing health and life fulfillment through the exceptional services, amenities and opportunities we offer. And, our residents can rest assured that as their needs change we provide a variety of ancillary services and a Personalized Assisted Living environment that encourages our residents to continue to live as they please while respecting individual preferences.