Brookdale Echelon Lake - Voorhees Township, NJ

Comments from a disheartened child

I have been so disappointed in Brookdale, Echelon Lake. I blame corporate Brookdale on this. Extremely poor management. Receptionist placed in charge of housecleaning. One custodian leaves and my mom’s room hasn’t been cleaned by staff since. My sisters and I have to clean everytime we go to visit. My mother, who is wheelchair bound- is so often soiled because staff doesn’t come for 30+ minutes after being called. My mother has been told by staff they don’t have time to care for you- we have others to care for besides you. That is all my mother asks of them. Family members shower my mother. We supplement my mom’s meals because of low nutrient meals. I could go one, but don’t think any of it matters. Our elderly are being taken advantage of by large corporations who don’t care and don’t know how to manage facilities housing human beings. They hire staff at minimum wage or slightly above and put our parents at their mercy- of which there is little. I am saddened and sickened that this is where we have placed our mother. Choices are so poor for our beloved parents.

1 year private pay req., once on medicaid would be sharing a studio/1 bath with another resident. $3780/mth, $3000 entry fee

[Removed] was very helpful in reviewing this community and the other Brookdale residences nearby. We determined that Echelon Lake was not the right fit for my father in law.

Clean Community!!

I have no complaints about the tour I had taken at this community for my loved one. The staff where on time to our appointment and made sure to provide us with lots of great information as well as answer any questions we had for them. I liked the layout out of the over facility and thought it was easy to navigate throughout the building. Overall the staff did a great job and this place was great it was just not the right fit for my dad in the end decision.

Very Content!

Brookdale Echelon Lake is an older but clean establishment. It does need some upkeep. I absolutely give a five-star rating on the staff. They are very friendly and do a good job caring for my Mom. I couldn't ask for a nicer staff. My only complaint is the food. The meals could use a lot of help. There is not enough variety. Last night my Mom did not eat any of the food provided, so I brought her food that she would eat. They offer plenty of activities, my Mom prefers not to participate. She does enjoy people watching. They provide outdoor seating for residents to enjoy the outdoors. They also offer transportation for shopping trips for the residents. Mom is very content at Brookdale Echelon Lake. We feel good that she is in a safe environment.

Nice Community, Tour Went Well

My tour of this community was a pretty nice one. The community looked nice, and from what I saw everything appeared to be well-kept. The staff was kind, and answered my questions. It was a good experience, and everything went well. I did find another that met our needs better,but my tour went well of this facility.

Lots of great amenities!!

We had taken a tour of this community for my mother and it was a pleasant experience for us. The staff where on time to our appointment and made sure to give us lots of great information about there facility. The residents seemed to be enjoying them selves and involved in activities throughout the building. It just was not the right location for my mother in the end decision.

Tour was Nice

I had a good tour of this community. Everything went well, and they were all very kind to my family and myself. The experience went well, and I was satisfied with my tour. The community looked nice and neat. The staff was kind. This is a pretty nice community.

Very poorly managed facility

My Mom has dementia and lived there for about a year in the memory care unit. While there are instances of compassion from the employees, this organization is very poorly managed. To give a little background, I live in California but honored my Mom’s wishes that she stay in New Jersey to remain close to her friends, hence the decision to move her into Brookdale Echelon Lake. As my Mom’s only child, I am her legal and financial representative.

In August, I received an invoice which showed an increase in Mom's Personal Service Rate (PSR) by $641 per month retroactive to 6 June.  I called Brookdale Echelon Lake multiple times to determine the reason for the increase, but received no response. Since I had no response from the local facility, I called Brookdale central billing who said they could not address my question and that I had to contact the local facility.  I left more messages for their local business office to call me, but they were not returned and I was not provided an explanation. In September, I traveled to the East Coast and met with Brookdale’s Business Office Manager and several other of the facility’s leadership. During that meeting I was told that there is no requirement to notify me in writing of the increase in PSR, nor obtain my formal acknowledgement of the increase. I pointed out that there was a signature block on the personal service plan for the legal representative, which I had not signed, yet they insisted they had no requirement to obtain my acknowledgement for the change in services. Finally, when I showed them that notification was required according to the Residency Agreement they eventually refunded the money. When I asked why the rate needed to be increased they stated that my Mom required bathroom assistance, which equates to $641 / month. Interestingly enough, I visited with my Mom for several hours that day and not once did I witness a Brookdale aide ask her if she needed help going to the bathroom, nor did anyone actually take her to the bathroom. Several weeks later, a friend of my Mom (who is a Doctor) visited her and told me that “she had to assist my Mom to go the bathroom because the staff was ignoring her” – yes, that was her unsolicited comment to me. According to Mom’s Personal Service Plan dated 6 June 16 the additional funding was in order to "assist resident using the bathroom schedule:  approximately every two to four hours during the day and as needed during the night".

I could go on, but to close this out, Brookdale informed me that they could no longer accommodate my Mom. She had several unwitnessed falls, and they were becoming increasingly concerned with her safety. I will say that they were very patient as I attempted to find a facility near me in California and moved her closer to me. I finally moved my Mom on 20 October. It is now 11 December, and Brookdale has still not returned the remainder of my Mom’s payment for fees for the rest of October in the amount of $2,600. Looks like I have more phone calls to make this week.

A wonderful place!

I really enjoy the staff at this community! I love that they offer music all the time because that is what my loved one likes. The staff is caring and always there for my loved one. It is also in a great location. There is a mall and restaurants right across the street where I can take my loved one on outings. The community is always clean and neat.

A Community I Would Recommend

I'am very satisfied with my mother in law moves to this community. They have all the resources available to care for her and her needs. Everything has worked out very well for us here. We know she is safe and in good hands here. They are providing her with great care. This is a community I would recommend.

Kudos to everyone at Brookdale Echelon Lake for knowing how to treat Elders.

My older sister was transferred from another home.

Her hair was dirty and a mess. The caretaker at Brookdale
Echelon Lake cleaned her hair and fixed it into a plaited braid down the back. Made such a difference and my family
Was thrilled at the care. My sister looks so much better

My sister has been there for about a week and loves it.
She has made some friends and is eating. She did Not like food in the other home and would not eat. They wanted to Operate and put a feeding tube in her. I refused. She
Is hungry and eating at Brookdale. They like to know what
A resident likes to eat.

Thank you to everyone who works at Brookdale Echelon Lake for their caring and treating all with dignity.

Can't wait to hear how my sister likes the weekly outings.
I know she will love them.

Very Accommodating

While I do not live in the area I feel very comfortable with the decision to move Mom into Brookdale as I know she is being well taken care of. The staff keep me updated about how my mom is doing by email and they are very quick to respond to my email. My mom lost her phone the other day and when I emailed them they went and looked for it and found it right away. She goes to an exercise class daily and attends other activities. Since Mom doesn't really have a sense of timing the staff are really good about going to get her to join in. She has not said much about the food but I haven't heard any complaints. Mom is in a great place and I am glad A Place for Mom was there to help me when I needed it.

Were not prepared for my visit. Tari was at a meeting in another location but was helped by 2 other staff. Found a clean & bustling facility. Residents looked well cared for. Staff greeted each person by name. Toured 3 resident rooms, dining facility and outside porch on other floor. Smelled & looked clean. They were getting ready for a walking tour with memory care residents. Good amount of daily activities listed on board. Saw them getting ready for a Hang Man game with the residents. Seemed like it is a much busier facility than the Cherry Hill location. Nursing staff on each floor. LPN or med tech staffed on weekends.

Really liked the facility (no current openings). Definitely a contender. Residents offered positive opinions - also spoke to daughter of resident who also spoke very highly of facility.

Would not recommend

We did not have a good experience with this community. When we moved my loved one in they assured us they'd be able to handle her care needs, however that did not end up being the case. She was not even at the high end of the care that they provide, but they said they did not have enough people on staff to handle her. Based on our experience I cannot recommend this facility.

Nice and safe

It seems like a nice, safe place for a senior parent. The staff has been helpful and it's pretty economical compared to other places. It was recommended to me by several people. Nice, decent place.

Fabulous memory care director!

We've had a good experience with Brookdale Echelon Lake so far! The facility is just a high quality place in general, but the memory care staff in specific does a really great job. The memory care director is fabulous, she puts in so much effort and heart into her job, and really just makes it a great place to live. I've never seen anyone so dedicated! I really can't say enough things about her. The community changed hands recently, so I am hoping she stays on.

I love this place, and I think that whole experience was wonderful.

I love this place, and I think that whole experience was wonderful. I was very pleased. Even when there was an emergency they get in touch with me right away. I can call anytime I need to. The food is great, very tasty and always looks good, and I was buying her ice cream, and they told me I don't need to they can give it to her. The activities can be tough with the dementia patients, but they try, and they have outings and entertainment, I think they do a good job of it on the dementia floor. I don't feel like I need to have someone there everyday, if I can't get there to visit every day, I know she is okay.

Good experience overall

I helped a client locate this facility, and I've heard nothing but good feedback about it. Her relative seems very happy there, and she hasn't heard any complaints! The marketing person that I worked with was very helpful and informative, and working with them was a good experience overall!

Emeritus at Echelon Lake review

Our overall experience has been very positive. My brother has only been there less than a week so I would need more to time to give a more detailed review. However, the staff I have met thus far have been very friendly, professional, positive, patient and very responsive to our family's needs. All interactions have been wonderful. It is so different from the facility he just left! People seem to really care about clients. Observations during future visits with my brother will be more helpful to me for a more in depth review. But so far, soo good!

We enjoyed the tour

We toured several Emeritus locations while looking into options for Mom, and while this was not the one we selected it was a nice looking community. Everything looked good during our tour, but we ended up selecting another location based on accessibility for our family, and a great experience with the staff.

Overall very good care, but some issues

This community provides great care for my Dad, but we have had some issues.
Everyone I've spoken with on the nursing staff has been very knowledgeable and able to discuss the details of his care that I was interested in. However, having to speak with anyone on the aide staff is an exercise in frustration, and I don't feel like any valuable information is being exchanged. I've also had some staff not know basic information like the pricing tiers for care, which seems like it should be general knowledge.
They provide very good overall care, and they keep the residents busy and active with activities. However, there have been issues with basic care needs like pain medication, nail clippings, or bathing reminders, having to be things that I have to follow up with them on.
I'm grateful for what they do, and the help they provide, but it is hard to not expect the very best with the sort of costs you pay for this kind of care.

Short stay, but very impressed!

I had a great experience with the community from the moment I walked in the door. The facility itself was very nice, and the staff was very professional set my mind at ease. They appeared familiar with the sorts of issues my Mom was dealing with, and knew all the right questions to ask. Mom was only there for a short respite care stay, but they certainly made a good first impression!
It was very expensive, as this sort of care is, but it was definitely good care for the price.

My Dad is adjusting very well

This all happened so suddenly; my Mom died unexpectedly, my Dad had to move out of his apartment and in with me. His dementia was much further along than I had known. We couldn't leave him alone and soon he was becoming depressed and threatening bad actions. Emeritus was willing to work with us very quickly to make room for him so that he would be in a safe place, and even after he had a very rebellious first attempt at living here they stood by us and reached out to him and he is now very, very comfortable and actually loves where he's living. The staff is tremendous; I don't know how they do it. The facility is above average and I have a warm feeling every time I visit. I don't know how to thank them enough.

Very friendly and helpful

Very friendly and helpful

Very Disappointed as former loved one lived here

My mother lived there for a year and half, and had many problems. She fell trying to pull her laundry back to her room and had to go to the hospital where they put staples in her head. The laundry was rarely done on time and was mixed up with other peoples on a regular basis. The staff that cleans does a very poor job and her room was very dirty, especially the bathroom sink and toilet. It was a bit disgusting and I finally had to come in and wipe down the bathroom faucet. There was dust all over the dressers for months on end. A resident bullied my Mom, and the staff barely acknowledged it and did not do much to stop it. The one positive thing is that the some of the staff seemed to really care, but not the top person in charge. She was always cold and unapproachable. I have since moved my mother to a different place and it is worlds apart, clean and well managed. The residents at Emeritus are so bored due to not having stimulating activities, that some would walk the floors up and down. I volunteered regularly to help out, but they didn't even encourage the residents to attend the acitivity I came for. The staff seemed very overworked with barely a minute to talk with you. My advice is to steer clear of this place which is completed mismanaged and confused. I am very glad my mother is happy in a new resident. I think that they are only interested in the monthly fees that residents can bring and not the residents. I gave notice my mom wasn't coming back and put it in writing and they kept sending me bills for the time when she didn't even live there. I left confused, because they would say one thing and do another! Find a better place for your loved ones. This place doesn't know what it is doing sadly and it is peoples lives.

Difficult transition as of now

One, he has limited assets so we needed to go to a place in New Jersey; number [removed] I was referred to Emeritus by A Place for Mom and number three, it appears to be a safe, clean, good environment for him. A combination of everything else was a two or a three on the scale; Emeritus seemed a little cleaner, they were very friendly and it seemed to be a safe environment for him. There are issues and they are in the process of being resolved, he does not like being there although it moves across the spectrum, he seems to be happy when he's in the presence of the Emeritus people but he has been begging me to take him home. He's resisting the idea of being in an assisted care facility and he cannot fathom why he's there; it's extremely difficult to go through. I see no evidence to back up what he's telling me. Where he was before was essentially no human interaction and the people say that he's friendly when I'm gone. My responsibility is to do what's right for him, not what he wants.

The staff has been wonderful!

There were not any other affordable options, so this home is further away than we would like it to be. But the staff is wonderful, I couldn't say enough good things about them. There was one problem we had that they quickly resolved to our satisfaction.

Gives a very good feeling

The staff has really great attitudes when I call. My dad was in a rehab facility before moving to the Emeritus and the staff here is really, truly happy which I found refreshing. He's only been there a short time but the staff has introduced him to other residents and we are trying to get him to participate in the offered activities. When I toured I liked the atmosphere, the place, and the people. The residents looked happy and clean, just had a very good feeling while touring. A friend of my husband's is looking for a place for their loved one and we highly recommended the Emeritus at Echelon Lake.

Has walking by lake. Best place so far.

Has walking by lake. Best place so far.

Very nice. Will need more help finan...

Very nice. Will need more help financially. Advised to pursue VA benefits. Will check in with The Director after meeting with VA to let her know how things are going.

This was the best one so far.

This was the best one so far.

more of hospital feel; but nice

more of hospital feel; but nice

living at an Emeritus Senior Living community.

The sense of community is all around you when you become part of the Emeritus family. Through special
delight in showing you our home.

Our Family is Committed to Yours.