Brookdale Dickinson Avenue - Greenville, NC

Brookdale Dickinson Avenue - Greenville, NC has yet not published prices.

Great place, but could be even better!

The staff here is caring and their heart is in the right place. Unfortunately, they are understaffed,so Mom often has to wait a long time for help. Most of the staff goes out of their way to be helpful and courteous to the residents,

The food is not very good at all here. They do not always serve what is on the menu. An example occurred in November when the lunch menu called for beef sirloin, mashed potatoes, and green beans, and the actual meal was vegetable soup and a turkey sandwich. The residents complain frequently about the poor quality of the food and its preparation. They have met with management on several occasions to hopefully get this corrected. The perception is that management is trying to skimp on food in a cost-cutting move.

Brookdale Dickinson Avenue is a nice, clean, well-maintained community with none of the telltale smells so common in senior care communities care facilities. Mom is very happy that laundry service is provided 2x a week. I love that this facility is a smaller place, with fewer than fifty residents. Mom had a beautiful view from her window. The grounds outside her room are well-maintained, with flowers and a birdfeeder she can see.

I would like for communication between administration and the families of the residents to improve. There was a holiday dinner that took place before Thanksgiving. No mailing was ever sent to my home informing me of this event. I also wish that promises made by administration were carried out efficiently. For the money charged for the facility, personal care, and the initial Brookdale membership fee of $2500, I would like more "bang for the buck".

Overall, I am satisfied that this is the best facility for my Mom at this time in her life. I would recommend this place to other prospective residents.

Not a bad tour

The person that took us on tour of this community was friendly. This community looked clean. This community seems to offer some nice activities and amenities. The community we chose was closer to family.

A visit

The community looked nice when I visited. The person that took us on tour was nice. This community did not have an opening when we were looking.

Good

The food is pretty good and they offer some nice activities. The community is clean and they clean my loved ones room daily. The staff have been friendly and encouraging. I would recommend this community.

Enter with Caution

It has taken me awhile to write a review simply for the fact that the experience was so horrible that it was painful to talk about. As a matter of fact I have deleted what I was writing multiple times. When you first arrive....no onboarding done such as shower date/time, laundry times, where to sit in dinning hall (for first meal my mom sat in a "regular" residents chair and he had a meltdown-this could have been avoided. The staff know where people sit for there meals. Always in same spot) You pay $2500 upfront for activities, etc. If you like bingo...this is the place for you! Activities are posted at front desk for that day. My father had parkinsons so unless you wheeled him to the frontdesk he didn't know what was going on. No activities board for the week/month. It wasn't until i complained that a schedule was made and placed in room...
Communication between residents and management is just not important to this community practice. Nor is communication between management and staff.
Memory care unit is a money pit. Within a week my mom had significant [Removed] from being grabbed. This happened on several occasions. Each time the suspicion was on a particular staff member that rotated thru the memory care unit and was not regular staff for that unit. I learned quickly that there is no legal recourse unless mom had a broken wrist or bruising/bleeding that was life [Removed]. State investigations done but unfortunately not enough residents or families report for fear of retribution.
The memory care unit needs a remodel. Outside area is very small and walk path is around a tree. (Not making that up) There is not enough outdoor space, dinning space. They had one small computer screen that served as TV/computer. So if a resident wanted to play a game then no one could watch TV. You watch TV but can't hear it. The staff is inadequately trained as to how to handle dementia. (this was backed up in the state report).. So much to say but bottom line is unfortunately when you have to look for a place it all happens so quickly so you have to pray and believe the best you can in people. There were some staff that were just a joy to work with and I am so appreciative of the respect and care they gave my parents. 99% of the time staffing was inadequate for the acuity of residents and the money that you pay for the increased level of care. My dads disease progressed and costs kept increasing but there was no increase in staffing assistance. I pulled my parents out and the bill for the next month was going to be $13,000 dollars. There was no additional staff, etc. So my question is where does this money go? I specifically asked staff if they had gotten a raise lately. Of course the answer was NO. So those staff members that really cared about the residents and the quality of their work were overworked and didn't last long. I would be remiss if I didn't speak to the meals....all I will say is residents have no voice. I never saw the dinning director with the residents during meal time and never got their input as to meal suggestions as to menu items nor variety.
I had two parents that progressed with different needs so options of care were such that I brought them home with me til another facility had beds available. I can tell you that this place is not the norm! My mother is in a fantastic true Memory Care facility! So what is the best way to find a fantastic facility. Introduce yourself to family members of some residents and you will get the true picture.

Not The Right Fit for Us

We had an alright tour of this community. We didn't feel this was the right type of atmosphere for my mother in law, and her needs. The gentleman who showed us around was very kind, and accommodating. This was not the community for us, but our tour was okay.

Highly Recommend Care

I am happy with the community. The staff is very caring and helpful. The food is good and a good variety. Alot of great activities are offered. Very clean atmosphere. I would recommend this for other families for great care.

Misleading Sales Pitch

As long as the resident has NO dementia or issues, this place is probably fine. However, just be aware that they are out for money first and foremost. They will say anything to get you in there (with the non-refundable $2500 activity fee) and then if there are any problems, they don't have any hesitation kicking someone out. We went there to tour it and told the lady who spoke with us (a salesperson, who received a car for selling the most rooms that year) that my father had dementia issues and would try to come on to women. We were very upfront about his issues and did not hide anything because we wanted to be sure this place would be appropriate for him with his dementia. She insisted that this was not a problem, said she'd had a resident grab her breasts and they were trained to deal with this kind of thing. Once he was there and started exhibiting these behaviors, all of a sudden, the manager claimed she knew nothing about his dementia. Then it was about how fast they could kick him out, sadly informing me that the $2500 activity fee was non-refundable, even though he had only been there a few months. We were given a few weeks to find somewhere to move him, and finally found a place in Windsor that accepted him and were actually trained in dealing with Dementia patients.

staff members are excellent

The staff members are excellent at Brookdale of Greenville. I would give them a 6 if I could. It is more than adequate here. My mother is happy. It just will take time to get into the routine. The staff are doing what they can to encourage her and get her involved.

needs to be more upfront full disclosure on what to expect

Carolina House Of Greenville does a great job of keeping the facility clean and picked up. The staff members are friendly. They do the best they can for a group facility. I have to remind my self that this is assisted living and set my expectations on that. They are willing to work with me. I would just say there needs to be more upfront full disclosure on what to expect going into this facility. Is it perfect for my parents, no but I would recommend this facility to anyone. They just need to know going in what to expect.

It's been going well. He is settling in fairly well.

It's been going well. He is settling in fairly well. The one shock I had was that when he was on medicare they were taking care of all of his medications, and when we moved in they had to get all of his medications and we were billed for it. Remember to check the medicare part a or b portion of your insurance, the difference is huge. Other than that, he likes his room. Sometimes he complains about the food, but he's eating it. Everyone is friendly, and they keep it clean, when you come in and sniff the air it smells clean. I am really pleased.

My mom did rave about the food.

My mom was only there for a month. It was very nice, very friendly, they out of the way to help me and my mom. They even did a couple of steps to help our concerns when they didn’t have to. There is a a court yard. The food was very good. My mom did rave about the food.

very nice, but age group 82+

very nice, but age group 82+

Brookdale Dickinson Avenue provides our residents with lifestyles, housing, care and services in comfortable surroundings combined with exceptional amenities, programs, and care. Through Brookdale’s signature Personalized Assisted Living we customize our care offerings for the individual. This allows each resident the freedom and opportunity to make choices that will ease their lifestyle transitions. Our residents enjoy life with the support they need, coupled with the proper lifestyle and care accommodations as their needs change.

At Carolina House we promise Respect for Individual Preferences and offer personalized care needs in an atmosphere that encourages each resident to live in health and longevity. Carolina House provides a comfortable lifestyle, housing, care and services in comfortable surroundings combined with exceptional amenities, programs and care. Our residents enjoy life with any support they need, coupled with the appropriate accommodations as their needs change.

Our community is dedicated to enriching the lives of our residents every day with signature services to those who value their freedom and independence.