Brookdale Atrium Way - Jacksonville, FL

Brookdale Atrium Way - Jacksonville, FL has yet not published prices.

Dirty Facility in SNF/Poor Care

This is not a nice facility. My loved one was placed here for a short time in order to be stabilized. It may be of better quality while patients/residents are in the ALF part of the facility, but as they are moved to Skilled Nursing Care or Hospice Care, the quality plummets. The facility smells of urine and the nursing staff lacks knowledge, compassion, and communication skills. I would not recommend this facility to anyone.

They are only concerned about money

My Father lived here but I moved him out after only three weeks. It is a very large community and they seem to only be concerned about money. Before my dad even got here they were supposed to send someone to assess him but to my knowledge that never happened. I feel like the care he needed, they could not provide without it costing a lot of extra money. While he was here, I had to leave work so I could walk him from his room to the dining hall and give him his medications. While he was in the dining room it sometimes took 10 to 15 minutes for them to even take his order. It is a beautiful facility but it does have a funky smell like a gas station bathroom that doesn’t get cleaned as often as it should. When I told the staff that I was going to move him, their attitudes changed and they were helping my Father left and right.

Not what I was looking for. Too quiet - not lively and full of life!

A Good Place For The Residents

So far, so good with our experience for my in-laws. They are okay here and they are just now starting to join some of the activities. The meals are good to eat for them. the community is clean. It is good for them.

A nice place to call home.

We like the care at this community. We like the staff who are attentive and always willing to help.This is a positive environment. We like the menu and most of the meals that are offered. They are always offering us assistance and we feel comfortable here and would recommend this nice community for other families.

Mom's Excellent Care

This is a nice community with a lot of great staff members. The community is very clean and is maintained. They offer a lot of good meals. My mom is liking the activities and I am happy to see her doing very well here. I would recommend this community for excellent care with a great value.

A good tour!

Brookdale Atrium Way was a nice community. The place was clean and all of the staff seemed friendly. The tour guide was informative and able to answer my questions. It was a good experience for the most part.

Very Good Tour

My family had a good tour of this community. Everyone was very kind to us. The community looked nice. Everything we saw looked nice and clean. The staff we came across was friendly, and kind. It was a pleasant experience. The independent living wasn't quite what we wanted. It is a nice community, but it was not a right fit for us.

This was a very nice facility. [Removed] was great. I will be considering this for sure in my search for the best possible place for my parents. Thanks

A happy place

We like the care for my mother in law. The staff is always caring. She is very please with the meals that are served. She likes the activities and they have a lot offered. If she wants to cook in her room she is able to. This community is close to our home. We do recommend the care and value to other families for great care for a loved one.

Excited To Move In

My mother hasn't moved into this community, but so far our experiences have been wonderful. This is a very nice looking community, and my mother is very excited to move in. They offered us a dinner before the move, and the food was great. Everybody is very kind and friendly. A place for mom was great with all the help. Especially my advisor Laura, she was outstanding. She really made this process easy.

This property is older and could use some attention. The apartments are small and dark. Outdoor space is limited. The staff are lively, engaged, and clearly care about their residents and the facility.

The care they provide is concerning!

My Dad was transferred here for rehab. As a physician, here are my concerns in the care they provided my Dad:

1. He is a diabetic in end stage renal disease. Apparently they can only do one form of diet. He was placed on a renal diet, all the while completely ignoring the fact that he is a diabetic. He was given more carbs than he has ever had in years...pancakes, brownies, cookies, pasta, mashed potatoes, spaghetti. His blood sugars were the highest they've been in months during his stay at Brookdale.

2. They got his meds WRONG! Decreased the doses on his statin and BP medication!

3. They didn't bathe him or changed his sheets for SIX days! Although they have a "bathing schedule" my Dad was not bathed for SIX whole days!

4. The staff (besides the SW and Admissions Coordinator) were completely unresponsive to my concerns! It took that facility FOUR days to call me back after calling and leaving voicemails several times a day regarding my concerns.

5. It took almost THREE days before he even got his first PT evaluation...when he was transferred there for physical therapy! They are short staffed and for a few days there was only one physical therapist onsite to do everyone's physical therapy

6. The nutrition room was disgusting with what appeared to be cups that were days old (dirty) being saved for future use!

7. Breaking JHACO rules! Nurses were eating in the nurses station.

8. Most of the times that I called, no one answered the phone!

I really appreciate the church services

After my husband died, I had a stroke and was not able to live in my home with stairs any longer. My sons and I looked at senior living communities around Jacksonville and together we decided Brookdale Atrium Way was the one for me. I have been here over six years and have made some very good friends here and I enjoy the programs offered. I really appreciate the church services that are provided here because church is very important to me.

Love living with all my friends

I moved the Brookdale Atrium Way several years ago because I liked the people that lived here. I did look at other retirement communities but none were as friendly as the Atrium. All my friends are living here. I love the activities and all different events. I love living with all my friends.

“This is Home”

My wife and I decided to move from St Augustine to Jacksonville to live in a retirement community. Initially, Brookdale Atrium Way was not our first choice. But of all the communities we’ve looked, it was the only one that gave us a warm feeling we can’t explain how – we just felt at home. We’ve also developed friendships. When my wife Janice passed away last year, residents, even the ones who didn’t know us as wells as staff stopped by to give condolences which helped me cope. It gave me so much comfort to know that I had a support group. Even though my daughter suggested for me to move out, I decided to stay here because this is my home. I started volunteering several months ago (calling bingo, delivering the mail & packages) and enjoying every minute of it.

Discovered a whole new life

“When my wife died two and a half years ago I felt it was the end of the world for me. Six months later, I moved to Brookdale Atrium Way and discovered a whole new life was just beginning for me. Here I found just the right mix of help and independence and I feel very fortunate to call Brookdale Atrium Way my home

Do not choose if budget is a concern!

My mother has lived here for a year and seems to be doing fine. The accommodations and facility are ok....The biggest problem is the budget! Do not choose Brookdale if you have income limitations.. Clearly Brookdale believes the elderly get a $150 a month increase every year!! Unfortunately we were not told this when we moved in and now are in a very tough position.. The annual increase has no justification, no improvements or modifications just an increase across the board..I am unable to speak to anyone at the Atrium since none of my messages have been returned..
I have also tried several times to reach someone in daily living about some daily assistance.. Again, three messages later no return phone call..
I would definitely rethink my choice if I would of known what I know now. I'm disappointed and believe Brookdale Atrium is all about the money, once your in there you are just another pay check..

aren't enough activities

My father complains that aren't enough activities at Brookdale Atrium Way . He gets really bored there. Other than that things are going pretty well here. It has been an overall good experience for him.

Five-Star Experience

My brother was in the assisted living and then had to be hospitalized, and when he came back he was then in the care center. Really we have had a five-star experience with them so far and are just waiting for him to be back in the assisted living.

Their goal is to keep your loved one independent, which I think is wonderful.

They are very accommodating. They offer a lot of options that I haven't seen at other facilities. They have very spacious accommodations. They are very economical. Their goal is to keep your loved one independent, which I think is wonderful. The facility has a wonderful layout. It's just a really nice community. The staff is very helpful. They are very in touch with me. They keep you updated on your loved one and comfort you. It's a wonderful place.

Private pay only. Occasionally take medicaid if patient has previously been long-term private pay.

They go the extra mile!

Last Sunday we had the pleasure of dining in one of their private dining rooms with our extended family. We had 10 people total spanning four generations. Our server Janet (from Puerto Rico) did such a wonderful job. Janet had a great attitude with all age groups; calling our 7 year-old grandson "handsome", 14 year-old granddaughter "gorgeous" and on down the line. She was very sweet with the five month-old baby and our 94 year old mother. Some of our party ran late and Janet did not rush us once they arrived but ensured all our food arrived fresh and hot. She is an asset to their dining room staff and we feel very fortunate to have had her as our server. All of the staff has always been very accommodating and kind but Janet really went the extra mile and served us so well! My Grandmother is so happy at Atrium, and after this experience, i wouldnt want her anywhere else!

It is a amazing community and clean facility. The people and staff make you feel like your at home. The activities are neat and fun to play. The food is also good the past ones has not. I love the people their and I feel like I am at home.

I love it here

The food is some of the best i've tasted in retirement communities. That was one of the main reasons i moved in. Friendly staff, clean premises and welcoming residents.

Lovely tour, I would recommend visiting!

I toured this community and it is one of my top picks for my loved one. The Community is bright, clean and everyone seems so happy. We were greeted by name when we arrived and almost every resident stopped to tell us how happy they were there. The sales director was a pleasure to meet with and was very helpful in answering all of our questions. I feel my loved one would be happy here and look forward to moving him here!

I would NOT recommend this facility for long term care! If you love and truly care about your loved one then look for a better facility! The turn over rate of nursing techs as well as nurses is high! There are only 2 nurses that are competent, professional and able to perform to the appropriate standards of care. Administration is unprofessional and are not equipped with the appropriate education and experience needed to successfully run a nursing home. Most of the nursing techs are vey nice. You constantly have to check behind the nurses to ensure medications were given on time. Many of the patients are not changed frequently enough or not given a good bath. Too many negative experiences have occurred at this facility! I wouldn't send my dog here!!!!!! As a healthcare provider I give this facility an F!

Friendly staff, provide transportation and activities

We haven't really had any care services; it is independent living.

My mother is there. I like that it's safe, a very friendly environment. The staff speak to the residents and call them by name.

They provide transportation to shopping and medical appointments.

They have exercise class, and entertainment on Friday nights. They have a country store for toiletries and the like.

Each unit is a studio with a small kitchenette, and a porch, which my mother really likes.

Yes, I would make the same selection if I had to do it again

Mom has only been in the ALF 7 days. In that time, she fell in her room and needed transport to the local hospital. This all went well; however, the staff apparently discovered her problem from her screaming, not from her several attempts to get help via the emergency pendant. An attendant in the hall heard the screaming after about 20 minutes (time is not verifiable) and took the appropriate action. Am still waiting on feedback from staff about this incident (now 3 days and waiting.) Cleanliness, friendliness and activities all appear outstanding although she has not involved herself in any of the extracurricular activities yet. Value is definitely subjective but $5,500 monthly is what I consider VERY high. The actual rent for a one bedroom unit is about $3,500 with the rest going to her professional ALF support fees.

It is just a warehouse

With very few exceptions, we found the place to be well below what had been promised to us for my father's care. The staff were very unresponsive to his needs, our questions, or anything else. The place was dark and uninviting. The staff changed so often no one knew what was supposed to be done. The record keeping was terrible. I took my concerns all the way to the director, on several occasions, and nothing improved. We could not get him out of there fast enough. On the positive side, there was a speech therapist who was very caring and diligent, and one nurse who I could trust. Even the staff, however, said to get Dad out.

Nice looking place, very large

We toured this location when we were looking into care options for my loved one. This was a nice looking place, and the staff all seemed very friendly. However, this community was very large. Our loved one has mobility issues and getting to and from things in a community this large would have caused problems. It also seemed more crowded and busy than we would have liked.

Great place to live

They have really great meals. I also liked the bus that takes you to different places like Walmarts Winn-Dixie, etc. All in all, it was really a good experience for me.

Very Large Apartments

Very pleased with them. Very good, very clean. my dad is pleased with the care. They have a lot of get togethers, from cards to movie nights and introducing people around. They had a nice Thanksgiving get together for the families and all. Everyone has a kitchenette, with just a microwave and refrigerator, because they are provided with three meals a day, and the very good food! The apartments are much larger. The building is a little older, and I think that that is why they're so large. It's in a class by itself in terms of that.

Can't Handle Wandering!

She walked out too many times because it wasn't a locked unit. She was calling cabs and getting on the bus, so they said that they couldn't have her there. I was disappointed; it was so much more convenient, and she was a lot happier at Atrium. I probably would give them like a three. It was certainly better as far as her independence, but she couldn't function like that. I did not realize, because they did not tell me, that if she wandered they would have to find another place for her. They called me on a Friday and told me that she had wandered and needed to be out that day. I didn't like the way that that was handled. I asked if we could make some accommodations to her room, and they weren't willing to work with me on any of it.

Just OK

They were a more up to date, more recent build look to the facility. However, I didn't get the same good feeling from staff, or from the patients. There wasn't the same level of engagement. I wanted a group with the possibility of memory care, and they looked fine, but I didn't think that there were quite as many opportunities nor the staff seem quite as engaged with the memory care patients as they were elsewhere.

Small, Low Ceilings

It was extremely small. The ceiling was extremely low. Their biggest room was way too small and not well lit.

A Lot of Good Things

The expense was too much for us. That's the mostly why my mother moved out but Atrium was good. There were a lot of good things about it.

Brookdale Atrium Way provides a full range of choices for today’s seniors. Choosing a senior living community represents a lifestyle choice and we understand that our residents are choosing much more than a comfortable living environment to call home. Our Brookdale community delivers Inspired Independent Living, with the promise of Exceptional Experiences Everyday. In choosing this community, our residents have made a conscious lifestyle decision designed to deliver enhanced opportunities for pursuing health and life fulfillment through the exceptional services, amenities and opportunities we offer.

At , The Atrium, Optimum Life® and Celebrations provide an all-encompassing way of life that touches our residents, their families and associates alike. Optimum Life® is a journey of self discovery including services, features and benefits that allow each resident to pursue their peak level of health, wholeness and fulfillment while balancing six key dimensions of personal wellness: emotional, intellectual, physical, social, spiritual and purposeful. As part of Optimum Life® we encourage our residents to celebrate life each day. Inspired dining and vibrant lifestyle activities come together in our Celebrations program, filling the monthly calendar with themed experiences, special events and group activities that highlight different cultures and cuisines in a common venue of camaraderie.