We are calling you now to better understand your needs.
Bishop Wicke Health and Rehabilitation Center - Shelton, CT has yet not published prices.
- Activities Onsite
- Devotional Services Available
- Indoor Common Areas
- Meals Provided
- Aging in Place
- Nurses on Staff
- Podiatrist Available
- Physical Therapy Available
- Occupational Therapy Available
- Speech Therapy Available
- Complimentary Transportation
- Activities Offsite
- Outdoor Common Areas
- Beauty & Barber Services
- Pets Allowed
- Wheelchair Accessible Showers
- Hospice Available
- Respite Available
- Resident Parking Available
- Doctor on Call
- Nurse on Call
- Homecare Onsite
- Dentist Available
VERY BAD THEY TREATED MY WIFE TERRIBLE. THE NURSING STAFF ARE NOT VERY GOOD AND THE AIDS ARE AWFUL
Good rehab and physical therapy but if your personal items of clothing are important to you and your family cannot personally launder, beware as their laundry service seems to be incompetent in returning laundered clothing to its owner. All clothing is clearly labeled with the patient's name but clothing items are not all returned. This happens time and time again and no one seems to care as improvements aren't made and patients continue to receive each other's clothing.
This place is straight up TERRiBLE, if I could of given it NO STARS that would of been correct, when my mother was there, the care that she received was BAD, things my mom told us that happened, when we approached the nursing staff they all covered for each other, we left our phone numbers near her phone and an aide called my cell phone to tell me to get up there because my mother was over medicated, so when I got there they moved that aide to a different wing and she really was over medicated and she fell repeatedly and they did nothing, don't use this facility if you love your loved one !!!!
Very Effective PT/OT Therapy
I was there for about five weeks for rehab. The physical and occupational therapy was very good. The PT and OT professionals were patient and encouraging. They had good ideas about using a variety of PT/OT activities. The aides tried to help, but they had a heavy workload which resulted in having to wait for things like being taken to the bathroom. The case manager was very responsive when my family reached out to her for information and planning help.
Was this review helpful?
A "home" for me
I have been a resident of Bishop Wicke Health Center for over 4 years. I am unable to stand, am wheelchair-bound and have only minimal use of one hand. I am given choices in what delicious food I want, and the engaging activities I attend. I'm extremely involved in my own healthcare, which the staff at Bishop Wicke totally encourage, support and facilitate in every possible way. I would recommend Bishop Wicke without reservation because of the friendly, home-like atmosphere and the compassionate outlook of the employees who care for me.
Was this review helpful? 2
An incredibly long 15 day stay
Would not use facility again. Bathrooms were not kept clean and facility was understaffed. Medical care was inferior.
Was this review helpful? 2 1
Visited dozens...Only choice for us!
My grandmother has lived at Bishop Wicke for 5 years. I could not imagine a kinder, more caring team of people for her to depend on. I do not say this lightly as I am a nursing home consultant and have visited over 75 homes, many considered the best in their geographic area. Though I moved two hours away, her and I decided that it was better I drive the distance to visit rather than leave the phenomenal people there. When I was recently asked by a nursing home professional the best place they could visit to see truly caring teams in action I answered with Bishop Wicke. (Did you know ppl from around the WORLD come to tour them to learn their "secrets"?) No place, even my own home, is perfect but I always trust their clinical judgement and most importantly that they are doing the right things for my grandmothers happiness. I know WITHOUT A DOUBT that she would not be with us today if not for Bishop Wicke's compassionate care.
Was this review helpful? 2
Prepare to spend everyday overseeing your loved one's "care"
Grandfather spent time at Bishop Wicke for rehab following a heart attack. Upon arriving, we found him in bed with same clothes he had on the day before. He is diabetic, and we were constantly having to stop staff and cna's from giving him fatty, sugary foods. Grandfather ran out of soap and asked for two days (scary to think of what staff was washing their hands with in his bathroom) Bathrooms are shared by FOUR beds, so if you have an urgently needed trip to the bathroom prepare to have an accident…also had to request toilet paper twice. The rooms are not cleaned daily and there are NO hand sanitizer dispensers posted inside the rooms (I noticed one at the main entrance). The list goes on and on and on. It's scary to imagine what kind of care he would have received had we not been there everyday to remind staff of his needs. The rehab staff simply checked the block. I observed many staff members texting and paying more attention to their cell phones than the patient exercises. In the end there were some very nice nurses and Rachel from the kitchen was exceptionally attentive. Other than that, prepare to micro-manage your loved-one's care. Disorganized, lack of communication, and substandard operating procedures had us frightened for our grandfather everyday…couldn't wait to get him home.
Was this review helpful? 3
Bishop Wicke Health and Rehabilitation Center was recently selected by U.S. News and World Report to receive a Best Nursing Homes Ranking for 2014, a title they had also won in 2013.
Bishop Wicke Health and Rehabilitation Center At-A-Glance
Newly renovated! Innovative resident/patient friendly design to promote communication and relationships between those we care for, thier families, our staff and our medical team... the first of its kind in the state of CT.
~Five-Star Rating With a long history of positive outcomes.
~Pioneers and innovators in relationship-centered care.
~Tray-Less Dining For a more home-like atmosphere.
~Short-term rehabilitation and long-term care
~Hospice and Palliative Rehab
~On-site Registered Dietician
~Caring for the body, mind, and spirit.
~Consistent Caregivers For stronger relationships and better care.
As pioneer and leaders in the Planetree model of relationship-centered care, we work closely with all area hospitals, including Griffin Hospital in Derby, CT (the home of Planetree) to provide for successful transitions from the hospital, to Bishop Wicke Health Center, and for our short-term rehab patients, back home. We understand the importance of communication and include our residents and our caregiving staff in creating a personalized care plan. Our award-winning Transitions of Care and Congestive Heart Failure programs are just two examples of how we continually strive to innovate and improve to achieve the best outcome for our residents.
It is intentional that we use the phrase “Caring Relationships, Enriching Lives.” Being part of UMH means the way we care for our residents is driven by our Mission. Our focus on relationship-centered care is at the heart of all we do.
Located in Shelton, CT, Bishop Wicke Health and Rehabilitation Center provides residents with skilled nursing care and shared or private accommodation. Recently renovated, the Bishop Wicke Health and Rehabilitation Center was designed to promote relationships and communication between residents, their families, the medical team, and the staff.
The nursing stations are designed without physical barriers, which ensures that residents and families can connect with the staff regardless of mobility. Staff at the facility clearly understands the importance of communication, which is why caregivers and residents are involved in developing a personalized care plan.
The facility has received awards that show its efforts to achieve the best outcomes for residents.
- Average Age: The median age in this zip code is 46 years old.
- Average Weather Info: July and January are the warmest and coolest months respectively in Shelton. Shelton gets 50 inches of rain annually, and the average snowfall is 33 inches. There are 176 sunny days on average annually in this city.
- Buses: Mason Transit Authority and Valley Transit are the two bus agencies that residents can use. The latter operates a fleet of fourteen minibuses on a reserved-ride basis. The former travels a set route and a regular schedule.
- Trains: The train station is in Derby, but it's close to Shelton. Therefore, residents shouldn't have a challenging time accessing a train. Click here for the train schedule.
Health and Safety
The facility partners with area hospitals such as Griffin Hospital to guarantee successful transitions from the hospital to this center.
- Hospitals: Some of the hospitals around this facility include St. Vincent's Shelton Urgent Care Center, Connecticut Heart/Vascular Center, and Huntington Walk-In.
- Crime Rate: Shelton is safer than other cities in the country. The crime index is 66%.
Sports and Leisure
- Golf Courses: Highland Golf Club of Shelton Inc., Browson Country Club, and Sports Center of Connecticut are some of the golf courses in Shelton that residents can visit to play golf.
- Tennis Courts/Clubs: Residents at Bishop Wicke Health and Rehabilitation Center can play tennis at East Village Park, MacNeill Tennis Lessons, Shelton High School, Brownson Country Club, and Shelton Parks and Recreation.
- Gyms: Some of the senior friendly gyms nearby include Orangetheory Fitness and The Edge Fitness Clubs Shelton.
Shopping and Entertainment
- Apparel: Residents can shop at Walmart, Clothing Outlet, T.J. Maxx, Dressbarn Woman, ICD Creative Studios LLC, and the Shelton Square Shopping Center.
- Grocery Stores: Residents can do their grocery shopping at ShopRite of Shelton, The Common Bond Market, Stop & Shop, Walmart, White Hills IGA Supermarket, Wooster Street Market, and Mill Variety.
- Restaurants: II Palio Restaurant, Wellington Restaurant, Red Lotus Restaurant, Berticci's, Outback Steakhouse, Caloroso Eatery & Bar, Plaza Diner Restaurant, La Scogliera, and Panera Bread are some of the world-class restaurants near Bishop Wicke Health and Rehabilitation Center.
- Movie Theaters: Some of the movie theaters that residents at this facility can go to grab the latest films are Center Stage Theatre, Inc., and Bow Tie Criterion Cinemas.
- Libraries: Huntington Branch Library and Plumb Memorial Library are the two closest libraries within Shelton city.
- Salons: S Salon by Salvatore is one of the best senior friendly salons nearby.
- Attractions: There are plenty of things to do and see in Shelton, CT. Residents can discover the pure fun, natural beauty, and €˜'hometown feel'' of this New England town. Among Shelton's top attractions are Discovery Museum and Planetarium, Barnum Museum, Beardsley, and Norwalk Maritime Center. Other must-see attractions are Kettletown State Park, Osbornedale State Park, Indian Well State Park, and Webb Mountain Park.
- Religious Facilities: Residents can attend services at First United Methodist Church, St. Paul's Episcopal Church, Saint Lawrence Parish, Huntington United Methodist, St. Margaret Mary Church, and Church of the Good Shepherd Episcopal.