Berkshire Commons and Berkshire Center - Reading, PA

Look elsewhere

My mother was placed here for therapy after a fall. She stayed for two weeks before being discharged to home. After ten days, I was given the admission packet of information regarding her stay. She never received a menu to select her own meals, despite two separate requests. I made sure to take her laundry home to wash myself, rather than deal with lost clothing. When I took her to a doctor appointment, no one bothered to get a wheelchair to transport her to my car. I had to go downstairs to the lobby and borrow one. Most of the time, she was left to do her own care. Her room mate did not fare much better. Having worked in a nursing home thirty years ago, I can say that the care has not improved over the years. In fact, the ratio of caregivers to patients is worse than it was then. I do not recommend this facility for rehab. Look elsewhere.

Not as good as it used to be.

The facility isn't is good as it was when my mother moved in in 2010. They have a new chef, the food isn't as good, staff turnover is high so service isn't as good, and especially checking on the whereabouts of residents if they don't show you for meals is poor. Activities are only marginal. The only excursion is to Hollywood Casino. Really? No cultural excursions. (They do take residents shopping on Mondays.) For what she pays, if she were younger I'd start looking elsewhere.

Bad place

My mother in law lives there. She fell twice, once when in the presence of an aide, out of bed! Their cleaning staff not good at all. Her clothes are always lost. The toilet had a black ring around bowl. The aides are nice but do not help her brush her teeth or remember each time you tell them to help her. DO NOT SEND YOUR LOVED ONE THERE!

Good Care

I think the care that they are giving my father is good. Certain care at the facility did not occur initially until I prompted them about it however, they now seem to be very proactive. My father likes the food and appears content. All the caregivers are pleasant and willing to assist with anything requested. The facility clean with great amenities.

My Mom and Dad have been he...

My Mom and Dad have been here since Feb 2013. Dad has gotten worse...they say he is confrontational and aggressive. I must now hire a person to sit with Dad from 10AM to 9PM every day. The facility does not have the staff(in number or properly trained) to handle Dad. I may have to move my Dad.

Checking on this one - is about 35 to...

Checking on this one - is about 35 to 40 minutes but not out of the question.

Berkshire Commons and Berkshire Center, two Genesis HealthCare facilities located on the same campus, offer Senior Living and Skilled Nursing options.

Berkshire Commons Senior Living offers active seniors a fun, dynamic lifestyle. This lively community supports each resident's independence, while also offering personalized health care services if they're ever needed.

Berkshire Center Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation

offers skilled nursing, medical and rehabilitative care for patients and residents requiring a short stay or extended care. Our Clinical Care Teams are focused on implementing personalized care programs to facilitate recovery and improve well-being.