AutumnGrove Cottage in Stone Oak - San Antonio, TX

Not for active residents

I moved my 66 y/o active mother here mid-May on a move-in special with the reassurances from the staff that they could "handle" my mom after they had witnessed some agitated behavior when my caregiver took her there for lunch. Within 4 days of her admittance, they had shipped her off to the ER. They were unable to keep her busy nor redirected away from her aggression during her transitioning to memory care. This is a very small facility with narrow hallways and dark furniture. My mother could see passing vehicles (MAYBE reminding her of her inability to drive nor go home?) in their courtyard area and would throw her clothes over the fence, pacing about constantly, which I am told pacing and exit-seeking is "normal behavior" for transitioning. My mom was over-medicated by an psychiatrist/nurse on Haldol every 4 hours when they clearly have a "no chemical restraints" policy. Within 2 weeks my mom was on her 4th ER visit! they made my family and I feel from DAY 2 that my mother was an inconvenience. They called me constantly to complain and even told an ER NURSE one evening that they didn't want her anymore and that the ER could keep her. The few weeks that my mother was here was the most stressful of my ALZ journey so far. Do not place your LO here unless they are in a wheelchair! 3 weeks later my mother has been moved to a more experienced facility for less than I was paying here, even with the move-in special I had. Not once in 2 weeks have I had one phone call from them. Not once have I had a complaint about my mom. This place needs a new fence to block passing traffic and more activities for their residents, maybe a bus to take them for drives.

Enjoyed my tour and liked the facility a lot. Would be a great place for my mom. Director seemed genuinely caring and knowledgeable. Smaller home-like feeling than larger facilities. Even had sweet dog and friendly cat on premise which I liked.

Wonderful Memory Care Facility

Autumn Grove Cottage in Stone Oak is a wonderful memory care facility. We chose this facility for our mom especially because it has a low care giver to resident ratio. The facility is always clean and the decor is pretty with a warm, home-like feel. The staff is very experienced, kind and caring. Also, the managing staff is very good at communicating with the family. I always felt mom was safe and well-cared for.

We Saw Activities and A Large Community

We got so many options from A Place For Mom that made our search easy. The found options in the perimeter we were looking in. This was a nice community but too large for my mom. She was not going to socialize as much we liked and we saw they had more activities going on during the day. It was not going to work for her.

Felt A Bit Crowed Overall

My tour of this community was pretty decent. One of this first thing I noticed is there is not much parking around the community. It took a while for us to find a parking space. Everybody we came across was nice. The community overall felt crowded. It just didn't feel like a good fit overall.

Autumn Grove, Stone Oak - Quality Care

The facility is clean, well kept and smells good. More importantly, the quality of the staff and low staff to resident ratio result in exceptional care. The visiting physician was also complimentary of the staff. She sees a much broader sampling of assisted living / memory care facilities than I.

Small, square, 16 resident facility. Halls were narrow and no bathrooms in the residents rooms. Each hallway has a shared bathroom. One main room for dining and TV viewing. The kitchen was open to the main room and was the same as a kitchen you would find in a single family home. No pets permitted and had fixed menus. Resident rooms were also small. If you're looking for a small operation similar to a private residence albeit with 16 beds, this may work for you. Be prepared for sticker shock! Highest priced facility of all that I've toured thus far and none of the extras you may expect to come with it. I am sure there is a market for this style of facility. Not the right fit for my dad or our family.

Wonderful place!

Things have gone very well here so far, I'd give them top marks across the board! The facility itself is beautiful, and all of the people we have worked with have been wonderful. The caregivers are great, the nurse manager is nice, and the social worker has been very helpful and informative! My aunt is really thriving here, and has shown a lot of improvement since moving in. We couldn't be happier!

Representatives from Autumn...

Representatives from AutumnGrove Cottage assessed my husband, Wayne, and refused to take him because he was still combative. I'm very disappointed because I had already put a $500 deposit down for a room at the new facility on Stone Oak. :(

Stone Oak is AutumnGrove Cottage's newest location. Opening in the Fall of 2013, Stone Oak is our second location in the San Antonio area and our ninth cottage overall. AutumnGrove Cottage is excited to expand our family and to be able to extend our help to more families in need of Alzheimer's Care.

AutumnGrove Cottage is a sixteen bedroom, private-pay, assisted living home specializing in care for senior adults with Alzheimer's disease and other dementia-related illnesses. AutumnGrove Cottage offers the smoothest transition from one's own home to a home that offers assistance with the activities of daily living. We make it possible for residents to enjoy the benefits of 24/7 care in a familiar, homelike environment.

AutumnGrove Cottage is to the assisted living industry what a bed and breakfast is to the hotel industry. It is smaller, more "home-like" in design and appearance. With only sixteen residents, the staff, residents and families get to know each other in a very personal and intimate way.

The facility's natural surroundings create a highly scenic view of trees that residents can get a closer look at by taking advantage of the many walking paths throughout the grounds. With the facility's fully furnished patios, it's easy for residents to enjoy the sunny outdoor weather. For the benefit of those with mild to moderate memory loss, AutumnGrove Cottage developed a special nutrition and hydration program.