Atria Marland Place - Andover, MA

[Name removed] was our tour guide. He did a great job. Friendly, informative and explained every aspect thoroughly.
We met many of the staff and residents. All we very pleasant. The restored mill building was beautifully decorated and is very welcoming. All and all a beautiful community.

This community has everything you could want

The staff are over the moon great. Mom likes the food and they do offer daily activities. The community is very clean and well maintained. They offer a bistro, cafeteria and a pub that is open in the evenings. They have a pool table room, dart room and two libraries. They have a van and a town car for transportation. There Is a river that goes by her room. We could not have found a better pace and I would recommend it.

Positives outweigh areas of opportunity

One thing Atria could improve is better communication with the family. My mother was recommended a care plan.I asked several times for someone to explain it to me and got no follow-up. For example, they were supposed to give her a shower everyday and she only got two in one month. I felt we were paying for services they weren't providing. In other cases,I think some of the staff went above and beyond for us. [removed] went beyond her means to accommodate us. [removed] was very nice and helpful. The maintenance guy is right on point.My mother can be difficult and the staff is patient with her and try to make her comfortable. I was impressed that during our tour of Atria they sent us home with a cheesecake. The head chef has since changed and I hope they are able to continue the quality of meals they had before.

Kate Vance

Thank you for reaching out about your experience and for being a part of our Atria family. I'm glad to hear that you've had some wonderful experiences with our team members. I appreciate the feedback and will share it with our community leadership. I also encourage you to reach out to our Executive Director to discuss specific ways we can serve your family better.

Love the variety of activities...

My father has only been at the Atria for a short period of time but so far the place is great. The staff has been trying to pull him out of his shell and encouraging him to interact with other residents and join activities.The staff is very friendly and happy, they engage with other residents that live there encouraging him to interact. The community is very clean and the meals are great, I ate there a couple of times and the food is in good portions, not over or under feeding them. The main reason we chose this place is the activities are more stimulating. They even have a professor \that comes in for a lecture.

So far my favorite place. It's a little far but it would be worth it. Keep on my list.Lunch was great. Gave out a free bottle of wine. Love the rooftop.

5 Stars All The Way!!

The Atria Marland Place is wonderful, my mother has been comfortable with the community she has been engaging in activities and being able to meet other residents. The food is good and the community is kept clean. They offer various activities some of these include going out for dinner. The activity coordinator even took the residents to the beach. I feel that she is in a very safe community.

Really Nice Facility

My parents are here. It's a beautiful facility. Lobby area looks more like hotel than assisted living. It's recently renovated, high ceilings, brick walls. Several options on menu for meals in dining room, in addition to pub (pub food/drinks) and bistro (yogurt, juice, fresh cut fruit, muffins). There are also full salon, transportation, entertainment, theater room. The only issue my parents have is being forced to sit with different folks for each meal. You are seated by hostess each time you enter dining room. I guess that is the social aspect, but my parents are quiet and would rather go to eat and not chat with different residents constantly. I also noticed the day their room was supposed to be cleaned, it wasn't cleaned. I looked at shower, sink, toilet, floor. NOT cleaned. My parents being elderly don't notice cleanliness.
They have been at other assisted living and this is definitely the best.

My understanding that "marketing" states to prospective residents that there is a van that will take residents to events. However, it apparently does not run on any evenings or Saturdays. While it is available to take Christians to Church on Sunday; it is not available to Jewish residents to go to their place of on Friday night or Saturday morning. If you want to attend a funeral on Saturday...your stuck. If you want to be taken to locations within walking distance during the winter months when there is ice... you are stuck. Seems like Marland Place should either revisit its policy or not mislead prospective residents.

Katy Miller

I'm sorry to learn of your frustrations. If a resident has an important event to attend, such as a funeral, we are happy to make arrangements for them. In addition, Atria Marland Place offers in-community religious services on Friday evenings since it falls outside of our scheduled transportation hours. If you'd like to share more feedback, feel free to reach out to me directly any time at [removed].

Nice place overall, activities could use some work

Overall our experience with Atria Marland Place has been a good one. It's a nice looking community, and the staff is friendly and professional. I will say that the quality of some of the services isn't quite what we were hoping and didn't really live up to their marketing. The frequency and quality of the activities leave a little to be desired.

Katy Miller

We’re honored that you’ve chosen our community and want to serve you beyond satisfaction. Please let us know how we can enhance your experience by reaching us directly at [removed].

My Father Seems Happy

I would say so far my father seems very happy there. They have had a lot of very nice activities and outings that I think he enjoyed. One concern I had was about my dad's routine in the morning, just a couple issues about his room, but they handled it right away.

Newly renovated Atria Marland Place

Stayed here for short-term respite care. Building has just been completeley updated. Staff is wonderful, helpful and friendly. Rooms are spacious and clean. Common areas are nice, residents are friendly and food is delicious. A fantastic experience.

Atria-not suitable for residents with Alzheimers

The memory care unit at Atria in North Andover is not appropriate for residents with Alzheimers or advanced dementia. They put residents in a chair and are not as attentive and caring as they need to be. Individuals with unique needs are seen as a burden and problem. With the exception of a few caring and loving caregivers (real angels), a number of caregivers just want to do their jobs and go home. Some members of management lack empathy and come across as negative and uncaring. There's a cookie cutter approach to care. While a beautiful facility, many of their caregivers are untrained and ill-equipped to handle difficult behaviors that are common to Alzheimer patients. Facilities like this can make a lot of money "baby-sitting". Front desk staff is very good as is the food. I would not hesitate to recommend for assisted or independent living but not for memory care patients who need a higher level of care.

Kate Vance

We appreciate you taking the time to share with us. Your comments are concerning to us, and we'd like to speak with you in more detail about your experience with Atria Marland Place. If you're open to continuing the conversation, please connect with us at [removed].

Review of Atria Marland Place - Andover, MA

We never actually moved my father I'm to marland place but it was the location we had selected.

We absolutely love it here. She is really enjoying it!

We absolutely love it here. The memory unit is so nice, its spacious and secure. The Atria has done many renovations so it looks brand new and beautiful. The staff are very attentive. They do a wonderful job at integrating everybody in activities, so it was very easy for mom to make friends! She is really enjoying it!

TOTAL LACK OF COMPASSION/RESPECT/PROFESSIONALISM

OVERWHELMING INCOMPETENCE THROUGHOUT. TOTAL LACK OF COMPASSION/RESPECT FOR RESIDENTS. Wanting to take a friend/resident to our 40th high school reunion, I called two weeks in advance and spoke to "life guidance", who had me first speak w/my friend to give her all the details. Life guidance person then directed me to speak w/the office as I would need to get approval from the resident's sister. I immediately called the office and was told that they would contact the sister and have the sister call me directly. Six days later when I still had not heard back, I called asking to speak w/life guidance and was told that she wasn't in that day. So, I called life guidance the next day and left a voice message saying I was very concerned that my friend would be waiting for me to take her at the appropriate time, but I still had not gotten approval...and to please call me. When I had still not received a call back two days later, I called and asked to speak with the "office". I was transferred to someone yelling "DINING ROOM. What? What? I can't hear you over the construction." (Sigh) Having had enough, I then called back and asked to speak w/the Director, who took down all info in a so soothing voice, apologized for what had transpired and said he'd get back to me w/an answer by the end of day. NOTHING, EVER....NO CALL BACK FROM EVEN THE DIRECTOR! Three days later, I had not choice but to go to the reunion w/out my friend, as I had never received permission to take her...although I had attempted to many times within a two week period and spoken to people from all care levels, including DIRECTOR. Who is the first person I saw AT the reunion? My friend ...accompanied by an aid. Sadly, the aid told me that my friend was telling everyone that I was picking her up to go to the reunion. The aid said no one knew anything about this, so she contacted the sister who said she would be thrilled for her sister to go to the reunion and she shouldn't miss it. The sister had never been contacted previously....despite all of my efforts/requests.

Kate Vance

We are happy to hear that your friend was able to attend the class reunion and apologize for any miscommunication that may have occurred leading up to the event. Your comments will be shared with the appropriate directors to ensure this will not be an ongoing issue. In the meantime, if you would like to speak with someone further, please reach out to [removed].

Atria Marland Place, Andover, MA

My 89 year old mother lives in the Life Guidance area at Atria Marland Place in Andover, MA.

The level of care is very high and we feel comfortable about her well-being. There is a strong familial culture in the entire building and most of the aides work on at all levels, including traditional assisted living and life guidance. Our mother is known in the building and genuinely cared for by staff and other residents.

The facility is under extensive renovation, but it will be gorgeous when completed. the food has greatly improved with the new executive director.

I highly recommend this facility.

Atria Marland - Andover

Mom is happy here, that's all that matters. Personally, I think the common area bathrooms along with residents bathrooms could be cleaned more often than they are. The food is good and the staff is friendly and caring.

Kate Vance

I am so glad to hear that your mother is happy at our community and am grateful for your feedback. I will share your comments with the appropriate directors to make sure Atria’s high standards are being met. If you have any questions or other suggestions to share, please feel free to contact us at atriaseniorliving.com and be sure to include “Atria Marland Place” in your subject line.

Mom seems to enjoy it

I don't live here myself, it is somewhere I helped my mother locate. When I have visited everything seems fine. It's clean, and the staff are friendly, and from what I've heard the food is fine. Mom seems to enjoy it. It's very expensive, but that seems to be how all of these places are.

A Home where the staff is a treasure

Our family has had an incredibly wonderful experience at Marland Place for over 3 years. When we were faced with the task of moving my Mom to Asst Living we looked at Marland Place and several others in this area. We had heard descriptions of Marland Place from several trusted friends and it had a reputation as warm, caring and an excellent community. Well our expectations were not only met but having been there three years and now about to leave due to declining health, incredibly exceeded. What we learned over these years is that the historic and cheerful feeling of Marland Place is not in the brick but is in the staff. The "front desk " staff sets the tone with personal, knowledgeable greetings and assistance. Mary M embodies the face and heart of the community as all those who are at the front desk. They are the beginning of working with assistants , nurses, building and culinary staff who are just exceptional. By exceptional we mean staff who care about your family member and who in tern become family to you. Over the years the relationship that developed between the staff and our family is very heart warming. My Mother's care there, returning from the hospital, VNA , activities, hair dressing, the dining room and the administrative offices were a treasure to her and our family. We will miss all there and hope you have such a wonderfully comforting experience as we have had. ( I fondly remember sitting and singing with the staff and residents and looking around and thinking - we are so glad she was here.) The day to day staff is exceptional ( aides) and that is what you want, need and are so appreciative of). We knew others were caring for my Mom as we would ourselves. We will miss them and thank them for the care they gave to our Mother and our Family.

Assisted Living

My father-in-law has been a resident of Marland Place since Aug. of 2012. He is 98 years old and absolutely loves the Social Life that he has found at Marland Place. He moved into Marland Place with his wife of 4 years, but when she injured herself in a fall in April, she moved to a Nursing Home. Marland Place has been very caring and accommodating to my father-in-law by transporting him to and from the nursing home 5 days a week. He visits her just about every morning and fills his afternoons with social activities. He constantly tells us that he could never have found a better place.

A new chapter in my Dad"s life......

Choosing an assisted living for my Dad has been one of the hardest decisions in my entire life. My Dad is my entire world........he's always been my rock and since his diagnosis of Parkinson's Disease, I have become his rock. When we were first told he couldn't come back home, I began looking into assisted living. As soon as I walked into Marland Place, I just had a amazing, warm feeling. Everyone was so nice to me and I felt from the start that the entire staff really cared about Marland Place and what they could do for my father. Rosie and Jim have Ben by my side the entire way......I cannot say enough about both of them. I have laughed and cried with them. Today I brought Dad to live there......words cannot describe how hard that was for me to close his apt door.....my Dad and I have always been an amazing team. I have to let go a bit and allow the Marland staff take over in my Dad's care.....it will be an adjustment for us both. Getting that phone call from Jim telling me that dad is just fine and he will thrive allowed me to breathe and my tears stopped flowing out.....although my Dad has been dealt a tough hand in life, he deserves to live the rest of his life in an amazing, loving and caring environment. I truly believe Marland Place is the place for him.......

Fantastic

My grandmother lives here and loves it. There's great food, activities, and staff!

A good solution

My Mom moved there a year and a half ago for the assisted living option. This experience was okay until her dementia went to the next level. Fortunately, at the same time this was happening the management changed and she offered a better solution for my Mom in the Memory Care unit. The aides are great and are always there for her. Her apartment is always clean and she can always find someone to sit with so she is never alone.

Best of the best

I have had my mom at Atria Marland 3.5 years and it's the very best with attentive staff, some minor turnover but always smooth, plus clean, good food plenty of customized activities and accomodations to everyones weaknesses (hearing, memory, eyes, mobility or whatever). It justifyably gets all the best ratings in the area from assisted living to personal memory care (Life Guidance).

Generally Good

The value is always the debate. It is so hard to say, she is in the dementia unit. Generally speaking they do a pretty good job of dealing with that aspect of aging. The food is pretty good. She has her own apartment and there is a refrigerator, but she doesn't really use it. What I have observed is some group things where they play board games and craft activities or bounce a ball. They also go outside for lunch or movies.

Peace of Mind

It’s been a year and a half since my dad and I first walked through the doors of Atria Marland Place. It was apparent from the start that this was a place where he could be comfortable. The setting is a lovely converted mill building with all the charm and character one could wish for, and a friendly, welcoming staff. But, let’s face it…a building is just a building and first appearances can be deceiving. Dad has been a resident for just over a year now and what we have learned is that, no matter where you are, it’s more about the care and caring than anything else. I doubt that there is any assisted living community that understands this better than Atria Marland Place. Dad has wonderfully attentive aides and housekeepers who help to keep him healthy and safe and, along with the rest of the fabulous staff, engaged and happy. It is a blessing for me to have the peace of mind that comes from knowing my dad is “at home” at Atria Marland Place.

Great place for my mother in law

My mother in law is thriving at this facility. She loves the activities, the staff, and the food. It is great to know she is safe, well cared for and happy.

Atria Marland Place Is Wonderful

My mom has been a resident here for 5 years. She has gone from lonely and introverted to outgoing and belly laughing. The staff is respectful and friendly. The activities are engaging and appropriate. The food is delicious. The common areas and apartments are very clean. It is not just a place to live, it is home.

Terrible Experience

My husband was thrown out after being there for two days. They didn't have the kind of staff they needed. It happened on a weekend and the person that was there to deal with things was the handy man because there was no staff.

LaDawn K.

Thank you for your review and please accept our deepest apologies for any confusion during your husband’s stay with us. We would like to discuss this further with you, as we have trained staff on-site 24 hours a day and none of our residents have left us in such short order for quite some time. The only time arrangements are made for a resident to relocate at our request is when we can no longer safely care for the person. In those instances, we assist the family every step of the way to find placement locally to ensure that the resident is moving to the next best option. We would appreciate you contacting us at [removed] so that we can continue this conversation (please be sure to include the Atria community name in the subject line).

Nice Rooms

I liked the facility. I liked the room she was going to get better than the one she had today. I think the cost might have been a little less, but almost insignificantly so.

Beautiful Facility but the Management Needs Improvement

The staff was very nice. The facility itself was bright and airy. I just thought that sort of added to it. The price was pretty much in line with the rest of the facilities that I looked at. There were some important things that they probably should have said. For Example, they talk about this van that you can take to appointments and to meet people for lunch and things but after my mother moved in they said oh she can't use the van because she's in a wheelchair. They knew that during the sales process but they didn't bother to add that fact in. That kind of left a bad taste in my mouth.

My mom was hospitalized and never once did anyone call to ask how she was doing. They called me to work out the billing for when she's not in the room and during that time they still have not asked me how she's doing.

The facility was beautiful and the people that work there were very nice in terms of the caregivers but I think the management above that leaves a lot to be desired.

LaDawn K.

Thank you for taking the time to review our community. I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed our staff and the atmosphere, but I would like to address the issues mentioned. Our van is most definitely wheelchair accessible and has a lift with secure ties for two chairs so that residents do not have to transfer to other seats. When someone is admitted to the hospital, our current protocol is to follow up via phone with family members and provide in-person visits from our management team and our wellness nurses and/or resident services director. Additionally, a member of our nursing team will follow residents to the hospital. If someone is in the hospital, we generally do not call to discuss billing. We would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you in more detail about these issues as we are very dedicated to resolving any problems that may arise. Please contact us at [removed] and include the Atria community name in the subject line.

Loved it. Expensive, but perfect in ...

Loved it. Expensive, but perfect in every other way.

Very nice Knowledgable

Very nice Knowledgable

For more than 18 years, Atria Marland Place has been the senior living provider of choice for Andover’s wisest older adults. Building on this foundation of trust, they’ve recently completed a thoughtful, thorough renovation to expand and enhance their community – including the addition of Atria Marland Falls, an independent living residence located in the fully restored east wing of the community.

Residents enjoy a host of exciting new living spaces and upgraded amenities including a new fitness center tailored to seniors, a full-service salon and spa, new lounge with bar and grill, a modern bistro, custom-designed movie theater and an expanded Life Guidance® memory care neighborhood with a new restaurant and outdoor garden deck.

Located in a renovated historic mill on the banks of the picturesque Shawsheen River, Atria Marland Place is comfortably situated on the north end of Andover’s town center. This vibrant assisted living community is convenient to many of the area’s best shopping, dining and entertainment destinations.

Atria Marland Place offers private apartments, a professionally certified, 24-hour staff, and a full range of personal care services, including medication reminders. Residents enjoy full-service dining experiences, an active social calendar, housekeeping services, local transportation, and a warm community of friendly neighbors. Most importantly, residents and their families experience greater peace of mind knowing that professional assistance, if desired, is available around the clock.

Guided by a tenured management team with extensive experience and a proven reputation in senior living, Atria Marland Place is committed to providing residents with exceptional accommodations and a superior level of service.