3801 Grand Retirement Campus - Des Moines, IA

Not the right place

The staff was cordial and answered all my questions. The only thing that really turned me and my loved one away was the old neighborhood that the community is in. The community is kept clean and neat just was not a good fit for my loved one.

A lovely Tour With Kind People

My tour of this community went well. The tour guide was very kind and friendly. They showed me all around the community and everything looked great. The staff I met was helpful and attentive. It was a lovely tour and I enjoyed it.

We are very pleased so far

We are very pleased so far. The food and activities seem to be okay. They are very good to her.

I thinks so far it's been good.

I thinks so far it's been good. It's clean and the staff are pretty friendly. The food seems to be pretty good. The weekends can get a little difficult because there are less staff on duty. I don't think anyone is perfect but they do a good job.

It's been a good move.

It's been a good move. Any concerns that have come up have been resolved. The food seems to be pretty good. I would give them a five so far. We are happy with them.

still working

At this point we are still working with 3801 Grand Retirement Campus to care for the needs of our father. They are receptive but I would say it still has a ways to go. We are working with them on it. As far as activities I don't think there are enough for what his needs are really. Perhaps his mental deficiency is below what the other residents are.

3801 Grand - Des Moines, IA

Dad is very happy here. His apartment is comfortable, the size is suitable for him, and the entire complex is always very clean.

The care he gets is very good. He's been there only a short time so we're still teaching the staff what his needs are. Staff is very nice to him and they seem very respectful.

We had a couple maintenance problems when he first moved in and we had to request they be fixed several times but when they finally got around to it they did a very good job.

All in all, Dad is happy here and we are happy with his care.

Says one thing, does another.

Our experience with 3801 Grand in Des Moines has been very mixed. Kept my Mom active and involved. Very serious language gap with employees working directly with residents. Was told by 3801 Grand they could care for my Mom through the stages of Alzheimers. We have been informed she cannot return after she was taken to the hospital. We are now disparately trying to find a quality facility to care for my Mom. Anyone that has worked with Alzheimer patients knows, changing their environment is much more confusing and difficult for them.

Find One on Your Own

THere was no connection between A Place for Mom and my association with 3801 Grand retirement community. I found this place on my own when driving on Grand Ave in Des Moines.

I have my independent living apartment that is a part of the 3801 Grand community. I have been here for one month and find everything to be very satisfactory. Have had limited opportunities to become acquainted with other residents, but the associations developed have been pleasant. Having dinner served every evening is wonderful--well prepared, delicious food.
Administrators appear to have the well-being of residents as the top priority. Very pleased to be here.

very impressed with the operation of this one. It is smaller. Doesn't seem quite as institutional. Some benefits to being downtown. Rooms seem larger than others I have visited. all rooms except first floor have decks,

Great Place - remodeling is...

Great Place - remodeling is being done right now to improve their community dining room and meeting center. Paula was a great person to show us around. Bob and I were verify impressed.

Exceeded our expectations

Our mother moved into an apartment for a 2 month trial and stayed in her new home for many years. The loving staff helped her with her personal care and homemaking duties which gave her a renewed self confidence. She became more independent without the ongoing concerns of health and home. Mom flourished with the social aspect of her new life and participated in many of the activities. We found she was much happier than she had been in years. She received all of the support she needed in the final stages of her life. We received the peace of mind that comes with the right care.

look beyond the flowers

We have had issues with the apartment not being ready on move in. Language barriers, not getting a bath when it should have been given going 10 days between, Expecting a person with demtia to answer open ended questions. Most of the staff is friendly the food is excellent. We needed fewer sorrys and more fixes

Great Food

While we were here they treated us very well and they looked after us very well. The food was very good. They would give you a menu that you could pick what you would want and then they would bring it to you, they even had lobster meals on the menu a couple of times during our short stay. The people here were very nice from the staff to the residents. It seemed like they were happy to work here and live here. We were very happy with them and would recommend them to anyone.

There' s a gap between what they say ...

There' s a gap between what they say they'll do versus what actually gets done. For example, my mother's cable TV was 2 weeks getting set up when they said it would be ready on move-in, and no one is monitoring her bathing and dressing. She spent 3 days in the same clothes before getting any attention.

Feels like home

Really like the area the setting is very beautiful. Plenty of patios to sit at and relax. Lots of flowers surrounding the community. Really feels like home.

Our Assisted Living facility at 3801 Grand features 60 private apartments. We offer all-inclusive service, allowing residents to continue their daily routine, while receiving additional care from our 24-hour staff. Medication management and personal care are included in the monthly rent. There is no extra charge as a resident’s needs change… providing piece of mind for the resident and their family.

Our Independent Living community at Grand Suites features 34 luxurious one or two bedroom apartment suites with one or two bathrooms. Grand Suites apartments are equipped with an emergency call button, and each resident receives ten days per year of complimentary short-term respite care at 3801 Grand. If they later need full-time assisted living, Grand Suites residents have priority access to 3801 Grand.

Both 3801 Grand and Grand Suites also include a wide range of amenities in the monthly rent. Housekeeping, unlimited scheduled transportation, meals, activities, and paid utilities (except phone) are just some luxuries included to make your life easier. We offer underground parking; an on-site beauty shop; and a massage therapist, podiatrist, and audiologist visit every month (additional charge). Best of all, there is no buy-in or endowment!

City info

Des Moines, Iowa, a city built on and thriving under the insurance business, is now a bustling, cosmopolitan metropolis. With hot dry summers and brisk, snowy winters, Des Moines's dynamic climate offers a unique perspective on the robustness of the Midwest. It also helps to launch the U.S. Presidential election every four years with its famous caucuses.

- Walkability score: based on Walk Score, Des Moines' walkability score is 45 out of 100.
- Average age in the zip: 39.6
- number of senior housing facilities in the zip: three
- Average weather info: summers and winters often present extreme weather conditions and temperatures (reaching near 100 F in the summer and near 0 F in the winter), but fall presents an idyllic, temperate climate and fall foliage.
- Veteran's facilities in the area: one.

Transportation

Des Moines has a variety of transportation options, including many routes along the DART bus line, multiple taxi companies and both Uber and Lyft operating in the city.

- Buses: Des Moines operates the DART bus system in the city. Route 60 is easily accessible in this zip code. Half-fare, lifetime Senior Passes are available with ID.

- Trains: Des Moines does not offer an underground, and no train station is available in this zip code.

- Taxis: several cab companies operate in the Des Moines area, including United Cab LTD, Yellow Cab, and Cab Trans.

- Ride shares: Des Moines supports both Uber and Lyft ridesharing, both of which can be accessed by downloading the mobile phone application.

- Hospitals in the area: the closest hospital to this zip code is Mercy Franklin. Other nearby hopsitals include Iowa Lutheran Hospital and Broadlawns Medical Center.

- Crime rate in the zip: Des Moines has a relatively high felony crime rate, but localized to certain districts, excluding this zip code.

Sports and Leisure

Des Moines has several nearby recreational and sporting complexes, many of which have special discounts, offers, and passes for senior citizens.

- Golf courses near by: there are two major golf courses nearby: Waveland Golf Course and The Wakonda Club, both of which offer senior discounts.

- Tennis courts/clubs near by: The Wakonda Club also has tennis courts, and a pro shop where seniors can take lessons.

- Gyms near by - senior friendly (aerobics):Mercy Wellness Center offers a wide variety of exercise programs that are senior-friendly, including SilverSneakers Classic and SilverSneakers Chair Yoga.

Shopping and Entertainment

Both traditional as well as more contemporary forms of shopping and entertainment are available in this area of Des Moines. Whether one seeks organic, all-natural food products or cheaper options, museums or movies, there are options for all.

- Clothes Shopping nearby: There are several major shopping outlets near this zip code, including Uptown Center, Shops at Roosevelt (both of which are easily accessible by walking from this address), and 22nd Street Plaza Shopping Center.

- Grocery stores: The most nearby grocery stores to this zip code are Price Chopper and Gateway Market, which offers more upscale, expensive, and organic products as compared to Price Chopper's more affordable, commercial grocery products.

- Other restaurants: This zip code boasts a number of Mexican restaurants, delis, and more classic American fare restaurants. Options include Firehouse Subs, Jimmy John's, and El Patio Mexican Restaurant.

- Movie theaters: The Varsity Theatre, a vintage theatre open since 1938, shows mainly independent films. However, a local AMC multiplex, only a short ride northwest, also houses new release films.

- Libraries: The closest library to this zip code is the Central Library, located at 1000 Grand Street, within walking distance of this community.

- Senior friendly salons (men and women): Dorian's Salon on Ingersoll Avenue provides senior rates for cuts and dyes.

- Attractions: Both the Des Moines Art Center and the Salisbury House are easily accessible. Admission to the Des Moines Art Center is free, and senior rates for tours of the Salisbury House are available.

Religious facilities

All faiths will find accessible venues for worship in this area, particularly those of the Christian faith.

- Religious facilities nearby: There are Catholic, Presbyterian, Episcopal and Lutheran churches along Grand Avenue in Des Moines, including St. Augustin's Catholic Church. Temple B'nai Jeshurun is also located on Grand Avenue. Several mosques are also scattered around the city limits and accessible by public or private transportation.