Westwind House Assisted Living - Albuquerque, NM

Management wasn't very cordial

I talked with the woman that runs the place and they didn’t have any openings at the time when I was looking and there was a waiting list. I found that they don’t help people to the dining area so you have to get there on your own or you don’t eat. The rooms were about the same size as another community I had seen. The place was nice, there was a nice dining area, though I didn’t see anyone cooking. They had plenty of activities to keep everyone busy from what I saw as well. Since she didn’t need any new tenants, the woman I spoke with wasn’t as cordial as she probably would’ve been if she needed more residents. You could just tell that she didn’t need anyone new.

Lisa Witt

Thank you for providing feedback on your tour. I'm sorry that Westwind House was full and this reflected on the reception you received. Westwind House has an Executive Director who started as the receptionist before Westwind opened and has adeptly been at the help for over 15 years. This is not the norm and we hope you will return if the opportunity presents itself. Westwind House provides escorts to the dining room for residents although we encourage those who can walk to do so to help stay more independent. Thank you for noting that Westwind had a nice dining area and plenty of activities. We take great pride in caring for our residents. We hope you'll return to check us out again! All the best.

Smelled like smoke!

The dealbreaker with the Westwind House Assisted Living was the fact that they had a smoking lane and it makes the whole place reek of cigarette smoke. Also, I did not like the food or the overall feel, it was not a good fit.

Lisa Witt

We provide a place for smokers to smoke outdoors. I can only speculate If the wind was blowing the wrong way and a resident lit a cigarette not in the designated place, perhaps smoke blew into the community. Executive Director Maria has taken steps to make sure this does not reoccur. We have strict rules on smoking and regret you had a bad experience. I hope you will return again to check us out again. It looks like otherwise you gave Westwind 4/5 stars, thank you.

A tour with care

We toured this community. We did not like this as much do to the area. It did not have a lot of the features that we were looking for. The community was nice and clean. The environment was more like a farm then residential care. The staff were very helpful and answer the questions on the care that is given. They had activities for residents.

Lisa Witt

We hope you find a community better suited to your needs. Glad you commented that your tour was "a tour with care." Westwind House is located in next to Los Volcanes Senior Center which is nice for our more active residents to be able to participate in their programs. We pride ourselves on our clean residence, caring staff and robust activity program.

Compact and Caring

My mom is eating the meal. It is not like home cooking but I think it is good. The staff are good people who help out very well. I am pleased that she is getting taken care of.The staff assist with her ADL and there has been no problems. A Place For Mom helped us find this community. They are able to provide the most care for her needs.

Lisa Witt

Thank you for sharing your Mom's experience at Westwind House. We are glad you recognized our caring staff. All the best.

low turnover, impressed with staff

I am very, very pleased. Everyone was extremely helpful and there were more services than I realized they had. They offer a lot of activities. I was very impressed when I first went that the manager that is there has been there for over 20 years, they have a very low turnover with their staff.

Lisa Witt

Thank you for your review. We are pleased that our Executive Director has provided the continuity of compassionate care for over 20 years. We strive to make Westwind a "warm and comforting" community that residents happily call home!

Lisa Witt

Thank you for your review. We believe there is great value that our Executive Director has provided the continuity of compassionate care for over 20 years. Westwind House is a "warm and comforting" community and we appreciate your positive feedback.

Not the best care

Staff were not nice to my mother. They refused to help her with most activities, and kept emphasizing that they don't have to under assisted living. I don't believe her medications were administered correctly. They would send her on ambulance alone, even in the middle of the night.
Activities were good, apartments were large.

Lisa Witt

We appreciate your feedback. We would like to speak for you to speak with Maria so we can benefit from your experience. We take great pride in our caring staff and quality care, especially in medication management. Thanks for noting the strong activity program as we believe socialization is key to resident happiness.

Good Place to Work and Live

We visited this place and really liked it. We went to their happy hour and my mother was going to move in the very next week. Unfortunately she had a fall and had to go to rehab instead. I liked talking to the lady that was there, Maria, the administrator. She is the kind of person who is going to say it the way it is instead of trying to sell me on something. She wanted to make sure that my mom had the right capabilities to be there. She was honest and truthful about the situation. I also really liked that there are activities. One thing my mom needs is activities. She liked to be active, observe and play games and things. It’s a larger facility. They had a nice menu with fresh foods. I met a lot of the people there and the workers looked happy and involved with the residents. It seemed like a good place to work and live. It was clean and it just felt right.

Lisa Witt

Thank you for your evaluation of Westwind House. Sorry your mom could not join our family of residents.