Brookdale Valencia - Albuquerque, NM

Not too impressed with the staff.

Nice and helpful

While looking at other locations for my love one I thought that this place is really nice and their staff team is really helpful. I was very happy with my first initial visit to tour around their facility. When it comes down to it, the only reason why we went with another property was because the location was more convenient. However, I know that they are capable of caring for their residents. I would still recommend them to families in that area.

Very Nice, But Too Big

We toured at Brookdale, and really liked the community. It was actually cheaper in price than some of the other places we saw, but it's also a very large community. We knew that my loved one wouldn't be comfortable in such a large place.

Really Nice

I visited this Brookdale while I was looking for a new place for my loved one. I felt that this community was really nice, and I liked the memory care unit. However, I worried that the Brookdale Valencia might be too large to be comfortable for my loved one, so we looked elsewhere,

Big rooms but nonoperational kitchen equipment

I toured here when trying to find a place for my friend. It’s a big facility, you can kind of get lost in the shuffle of it all. There are about 180 rooms. The room I saw was bigger than at a lot of other places I had seen but had a nonoperational 2 burner stove. It just didn’t hit me as a place that my friend would be happy at. The facility was kept pretty clean from what I could see. I don’t really know how many people they have on staff but if you have 180 rooms, I get the feeling they’d be spread thin. I was able to talk to someone on the staff, whose name I can’t remember, but she was very pleasant. I was able to see what activities they provided as well and it seemed like there were a few good choices. I wound up finding somewhere else that my friend liked more, but this would’ve been my second choice. It was just a little bit too far.

I don't recommend it here

This place was very sad and very dirty. I toured here to see if it would be a good fit for my dad and I went because my dad had actually had a friend that was there. When you first enter the building, you walk into this great big room that’s dark and dingy and outdated and no one was there up front to talk to. There were stains on the carpet and I was taken to this office area where there was paper everywhere and overflowing bookcases. I feel like it’s important that when you first walk in, the receptionist area should be clean and bright because first impressions are everything. The commons area just had a bunch of residents sitting there, the courtyard was very rocky and had a lot of weeds, and the dining area just made me feel like I wanted to scrub it. The guy that gave me the tour was very nice but I would not recommend sending anyone over there.

Out of this world sugar-free pecan ice cream!

My mom chose this place for herself and it was honestly because of the price. Of all of the other places that she had taken a look at, this one was about $500-600 less in price. The staff is very easy and outgoing, and they seat you quickly in the dining room. The living services director is very bubbly and outgoing as well. They allow my mom to have her dogs with her and even offer to take them on walks. The communication with the staff is good; as long as you communicate what you need, they’ll respond. With that being said though, we are still having a bit of an issue getting a parking space for my mom and trying to get the front desk to move quicker is difficult. They’re busy and I know they’re a large facility, but it’s been 3 weeks. Everybody seems pretty positive but there is one particular individual at the front desk that kind of runs at his own pace. These are elderly people and they need support and reinforcement and anytime I’ve talked with him, I didn’t get the impression that he cared. It took 3 days for them to give my mother a key to the front door and a couple of days later she accidentally lost it. When I tried to speak with the man at the front desk and tell him what happened, he started berating me and giving me the 5th degree about it, saying “we’re going to have to have a talk about this because it’s not safe for that key to be lost.” My mother is in her 80s and she did not intentionally lose that key. That’s the only issue I’ve seemed to have when it comes to the staff there. The facility itself is very clean and well maintained. They clean her apartment every other week and she has a trash chute on her floor so she’s able to take her trash to the elevator area where the chute is and just drop it down. She has a washer and dryer in her apartment (that she purchased) and does her own laundry. The food is pretty good. Most of the time they’ll have 2 set items on the menu, but we’ve learned that they always have standards like hot dogs, hamburgers, and tuna salad (just to name a few). They serve healthy portions, I think, not too big and not too little. They offer out of this world sugar-free pecan ice cream too! And sometimes the food staff will have meetings with the population to get ideas of what they would like to eat and see on the menu. There are tons of activities that they offer and they have something going on all the time. My mom doesn’t participate much right now, but they have field trips every week and every Sunday they’ll load up in the bus and just go for a drive. There are wheelchair exercises and aerobic pool sessions 3 times a week. All of the other residents seem to be very pleasant to be around and active. They even have a welcoming committee that came to my mom’s apartment and gave her brochures and spoke with her about what the community had to offer. Overall, I would recommend this place for others that are looking for the same type of life style for themselves or their loved ones.

Happy Here

I chose this place because A Place for mom Is a great referral service. The staff is very friendly and caring. The food is tasty but same things over and over. I've played bingo and looking for more activities now that I'm settling in. The grounds are well maintained. The maintenance have been a huge help hanging up mirrors and some paintings for me.

A great tour for care

We toured this community.and were happy with the staff who were able to assist us with the questions that we had on the care that is offered. We liked the cleanliness and the environment. The menu was appearing. and the activities are offered. We would recommend this community for other families and there loved ones.

A tour for care for mom

We toured this community. We did like the staff who seemed to be very helpful. We did speak with some of the other residents' family members and we were not comfortable with the answer from the family members. We would suggest that other families tour this community for the care of a loved one.

Great Place to Be

My mom's room is always clean as is the community itself. The facility interior is old but in good shape and well kept. There is now all new staff and we were told that the new ownership is working on updating things. The new Director is doing a pretty good job in keeping us informed about all the new changes going on as well. They were having an air condition problem so they brought in window units while they were repairing the air.
The staff is very caring and they try their very best. If there is a problem they call me right away and inform me about the situation
I have eaten there two or three times and the food is pretty decent Cafeteria style and it varies, they have a menu that you can order off right then and there.
Activities - my mom is not much of activities but they do encourage her and they do offer a wide variety.
I do feel that when you have your first orientation they should go over the handbook with you and explain how certain things like doctor appointments must be scheduled in the AM and orientation would be best when a loved one first move in a sit-down situation.
When I took the tour a lot of residences introduced themselves to me and told me that it was a "great place" many are professionals such as teachers living there and it is Best Value in town.
I would definitely recommend Brookdale Valencia to friends and family.

The Community Is Very Good

All is well for my dad. It is a clean facility with great staff who are providing good care. He is satisfied with the meals. They have activities available for those who wish to participate.

Transportation Was Available

I thought it would be a good idea to move into this community. However the plans changed and I did not move in but they were willing to pick me up from prior location.

My place to call home.

I like this community. And the staff are caring and attentive to my needs. The variety of the meals is outstanding and healthy. I like that they offer a lot of activities for me to participate with the other residents. The community is very clean and this is a nice place to live. I recommend this community for the great value that is offered and the care to other families.

4 Stars For Every Category

For the price of living at this community it has been a good deal. My mom really likes the community and she has been great since moving in. She likes the meals and activities. Her choices are favorable and I would recommend this community to family or friends.

This is was a nice community tour. The staff was nice and helpful. They did offer activities to the residents. We would recommend that families take a tour to see that it is clean and to speak with the wonderful staff that is very helpful.

We have no complaints!

My mother is still adjusting to all of the changes and things that have been going on since she moved to the Brookdale Valencia. The place itself is very nice and all of the staff are accommodating. They have a physical therapist on site as well. The food my mother thinks is very good. So far, everything is going well.

Not The Right Fit For An Independent Person

On the tour and follow ups, there was no bad experience and every staff was friendly. It felt they were more large with more residents. The ceilings were lower with smaller hallways to walk through and they offered a more dated apartment. It was smaller than what mom wanted. It was safe but she did not want to compromise her wants. They put the extra effort and welcomed us with a follow up with after touring. She did not want to feel like it was the final stage so it was not a good fit.

Welcoming residents!!

The residents at this community have been extremely welcoming to my loved one since he moved in, he is really enjoying there company. The housekeeping has done a great job at making sure my dads room is staying clean and well maintained throughout the week. The only complaint my father has is there needs to be more of a variety of the meals they serve. They are serving way to much chicken and not very many other meats.

Not A Fit For Us

I liked the community when we stopped by. My mom did not care for it though. It is kind of big. We Are looking for a smaller place, not private. The tour was good and really nice, it was not close enough for the family.

It is all good!

My loved one really loves this community. They are very good at communicating any changes in my loved one and keeping me updated. The community is always kept clean and neat. They offer a good choice of food and my loved one loves the cook. I would recommend people to this community.

I would not recommend Brookdale Valencia!!

My mom was only at this community for a short time before I moved her out. I was not happy with the staff as my mom fell and she was left there overnight. The food was ok. I only saw this community for a weekend but it seemed clean. They did lose her laundry and they do not seem organized. There approach to getting her to participate in activities was not good.

Not Very Courtesy

My experience in this community has been okay. My mother has fallen a couple time and they were not very attentive to her when it happened. They are not very courtesy. There are nice people at this community. They do keep the community pretty well-kept . I was not pleased with the type of care she was getting here. She is now in rehab and will be returning to my home when recovers.

Hidden Gem in Albuquerque

I first toured this facility back in 2006 when I was trying to find a place for my mom to live. Unfortunately, they don't accept Medicaid, so I had to choose a different facility.

Now 10 years later, I came back to this facility (after looking at many others) to consider a place for my dad and his wife (step-mother).

I liked it back then, and I like it even better now since it's been updated. This is an older facility in the SE part of town, but it's very well maintained, very clean, has great staff, and has a hotel like feel to it that seems very homey and comfortable.

My dad is super picky about food, but raves about the food choices in the dining room, and the chef's desire to prepare food that is appealing to all tastes. That in itself is a miracle, because I anticipated that this would be the toughest part of his adjustment. I guess I didn't need to worry about that after all.

Staff is exceptional. All are friendly, attentive, and enjoyable to interact with. You can tell that they like working here.

The Albuquerque metro area is experiencing strong growth in the assisted living market with many new options having recently opened, or about to open. No doubt, retirees are attracted to the high desert climate and abundance of sunshine. This particular facility is well worth checking out even though it's a bit older. It's close to hospitals, including the VA Hospital, the airport, and many dining and shopping options are only about a 10 minute drive away toward Uptown and Coronado Shopping malls.

Toured, nice looking place

I toured this community while looking into care options for my brother. The facility was well kept and clean, and all of the staff I met seemed friendly and professional. This was a little out of the way for our family so we ended up selecting another community, but this is somewhere I would have felt comfortable placing my brother.

Great staff, great facility

This place was definitely the best fit for our dad. The staff was excellent, the tour was very comprehensive and we were very satisfied that the care provided for dad would be excellent. The person who originally was supposed to give us the tour was not available and so the director stepped in and took the time to answer my many questions about care and price. I am an RN and am not easily persuaded by anyone's words that healthcare services are going to be delivered well or safely. This place has it all, multiple nurses stations, wide hallways, handrails everywhere, elevators, good food (we ate lunch there) and lots of support staff. The place was clean and most importantly the staff genuinely seemed to care about dad, I can't say that about the other four places we visited except perhaps one. I spoke with multiple residents and all of them had nothing but good things to say about this place. Finally, the price, it was more affordable than any of the others and offered more services. It has now been almost three months since dad moved there and he has nothing but good to say about this place. A+ in my book and believe me I am a hard sell.

Great place

Everything is so clean and nice. I would recommend this place to friends and family.

Good Feedback

All the feedback that I have gotten from my loved one and family members about the Brookdale Valencia has been good. They have been very accommodating, but I think that the food served there is just alright.

Everyone seems really friendly

We had some problems at the beginning with laundry, but they have settled out. We also had problems with them cleaning his room, but other than that everything seems. I can't really say that I have any complaints. My husband seems happy there because everyone is really friendly.

My dad Likes It There

My dad really likes it over there and he likes the fact that he gets three hot meals a day and gets to talk to interesting people. The people that are there take time to listen to him, but they never make him feel like they don't have time for him.

overall, a great place

Most things are very nice. Friendly staff, except perhaps in the dining room. Food from the dining room seems to be the weak point. Portions are small, service is slow. Irene and Roberta, front desk stafgand maintenance workers are all helpful and great to work with.

We love this facility!! Everyone is so friendly, it was super clean and they have many extras that we were not expecting. We feel that my sister will be very happy there. She was with us on the tour and was impressed also because she can take her kitty.

Brookdale Valencia has been an excellent choice for my parents. They are both 89 and somewhere in between independent living and assisted living. Having assisted living in the same facility was a plus. The staff is very welcoming and so kind, they really do care about the residents. There are many activities available. My folks are getting accustomed to participating, they've been fairly isolated for many years. They like their privacy, they can be on their own in their apartment. They really enjoy the morning exercise class. In-house nursing and personal assistance staff have been outstanding. It's a huge adjustment for my whole family and there is support when we get overwhelmed. It's a very compassionate environment. Mom had a fall and a near-fall within the first few days, and she had help immediately. Perhaps that's the most important feature, she had help immediately.

Impressed with Everything

So far I have been pretty impressed with everything there at Brookdale Place at Valencia. The food is really good there and the staff is really friendly and they have a lot of activities for the residents to participate in.

Brookdale at Valencia is a good place to move to for retirement.

The meals and service at meal time are top notch.

Cleanliness is good through out.

The literature you are given upon signing up needs to be updated perhaps, some statements (such as linen laundering and weekly cleaning of apartment) are not as promised (cleaning is done every 2 weeks, linens not at all), but, on the other hand, phone service is free which was not mentioned.

My parents seem very happy there after one week in the apartment and I would recommend it to anyone in the market for a retirement community.

Brookdale Senior Living

Thank you for taking the time to visit and share your feedback! We will share your feedback about the literature and laundry with our management team.

It's gone well so far!

My mother is living there and she has had a good experience so far. The staff tries very hard to make their residents happy!

A very welcoming facility!

Brookdale Place at Valencia is a very welcoming facility, the dining room is big and clean!

my dad loves it!

The lady that I met with at Brookdale Place at Valencia (her name was Roberta) was excellent in helping me. Irene was very helpful as well. So was the front staff. Everyone there was wonderful. The residents there are very safe (which was a concern for me). My dad loves it there! It has been a really good experience and we are very pleased.

Seems a little overpriced for what they offer, did not feel very welcoming to me.

Beware of theft

We moved our parents with dementia here 3 years ago. At first it was a very good fit for them, but as they began to deteriorate mentally and physically, it became hard to manage their care long distance, no good communication.

Also while there, they had every valuable piece of jewelry stolen that they owned. Not blaming anyone in the facility, we were warned against keeping valuables, but my Mother wouldn't be separated from her jewelry. They also kept cash for incidentals and we lost about $200.00 per week their last year there, until my Mother's death, where she lost $300.00 while dying and not getting out of bed. When I was there to move my Father to another facility, another resident who appeared very credible came to the front desk to complain that she had come back to her apartment from lunch and entering her locked door, found the contents of all her drawers and jewelry spread out on her bed, claiming someone had a passkey to her room. Beware!

This facility is also in a very questionable neighborhood and if residents with ground floor doors don't lock their outside doors (we are talking about impaired seniors here) , thieves can easily enter from outside and do their normal thing.

Pleased with their activities

The Brookdale Place at Valencia does a lot of activities to keep the seniors engaged and active. The staff does a great and job and goes the extra mile to be able to do that. The place is great. The place is well staffed with friendly and professional staff members. We are very pleased with everything.

It's a good facility for the value

The thing that stands out for me is all the activities. There are a lot of activities that keep everyone busy.

Very nice looking place!

We toured this community when we were looking into care options for our loved one. This was a very nice looking community, and right when you walked in you could feel the warm friendly atmosphere! During the tour I saw plenty of residents out enjoying themselves and socializing, and the staff all seemed caring and responsive. Unfortunately they do not provide memory care here, and we didn't want to have to move my loved one again when the time came. Overall this a great looking community, and definitely worth a look!

Poor experience with Brookdale.

We had a bad experience with Brookdale Place. First of all we felt my father was rated higher independent than he physically was capable. After only 3 days Hospice determined he required 24 hour care. Brookdale wanted us to stay and upgrade to more assistance. My father didn't have the money to do that. We found another facility recommended by Hospice and Brookdale refused to accept the clause in their laws that if determined increased assistance is required due to resident's safety, the $2,000 is waived. I definitely would not recommend Brookdale to my worst enemy!

All fives

Everything at this community was good. Brookdale Place is a clean community. The staff was friendly. We were okay with the value they offered. The activities and the care services were enough to meet our needs.

It is such a great place!

It is such a great place! We appreciate everything they do for my loved one! He says the great food is very good. We haven’t had any issues with the laundry or with finding a place to park. The best thing is the help they’ve been able to give us. It’s just been great!

My father just moved in. Employees ar...

My father just moved in. Employees are very friendly but a little more help to get him oriented and a little more direction from staff the first week or so would have been appreciated.

Glad my Mom could move in

This review is for the independent living area.

Besides the wonderful social interaction that is possible there, we were pleased that there was Occupational therapy in the bldg for help after my Mom's surgery.

The availability of doctor's "house calls" to the resident's room is wonderful.

Though the food is very good, dining room service is slow and can be VERY slow at times. This is the only area of improvement I can think of that they need to work on.

We have been very pleased with Brookd...

We have been very pleased with Brookdale Place Valencia.They have bent over backwards to help us get my family settled in and happy. Steve Tracy stops by to say hi to them and see how they are doing regularly. He has a wonderful personality and always has a smile on his face. My in laws say the food is really good. My mother in law says the clothes dryer in the laundry room takes a long time but what else does she have to do.

We had a terrible experience here! We...

We had a terrible experience here! We ended up having to move my loved one out of here! The staff didn't seem to care about my loved one and they didn't watch over her. We are very disappointed in how this turned out...

Such a Blessing

It has been such a blessing to us. Everyone is so kind and helpful and treats my mom like family. She loves Brookdale Place at Valencia and loves everyone there. She is doing well. She has had physical and occupational therapy and she's now both walking and eating really well. She is being very well taken care of.

friendly informative staff....

friendly informative staff...had PT program, indoor pool...residents all seemed active and engaged....will bring my dad back to check out...

Very Institutional

We didn't care for it at all. It was way too institutional.

Not for Us

Totally feels like assisted living. My mom hated it. She had a one bedroom with a very minuscule kitchen. It had just a half refrigerator and sink. One little window that was dismal. The rest of the place was new place and beautiful. It was cleaner, and a lovely facility. I can see if someone has real dementia or Alzheimer's how it would be a good fit.

Would Not Recommend

My mom was here a while ago, but I would not recommend to anyone. They were having financial issues. I saw detrimental cutbacks to the staff, which ultimately let to cutbacks in the care that my mom received.

Awesome service and care

The care and timeliness of Brent's service to me for my dad was amazing. She sent me referrals, followed up with me and discussed options based on my dad's needs all within a day/24hr period. I was able to find and settle on a place for my dad by the second day. Incredible and loving service. Thanks you Brent.

Good Community

We had previously visited Brookdale several years before but our loved one was not ready to move in yet. When we felt it was time for her to move to a community we knew where we wanted to go. Brookdale had no surprises and they did a very good job with our loved one.

Good Parts and Bad Parts

Both of my parents were there. They liked it. They were happy with somethings and unhappy with others. Some of the personal service they didn't like. The people would just knock once and come it and sometimes that didn't give them enough time to cover up or move out of the way - they didn't like that.

The liked being able to be in a place that was thier own. They liked being independent without having to worry about cooking food (which was pretty good). They were only there for a couple of months because my dad got sick and they've since moved in with me.

"House of Horrors"

The assisted living portion of Brookdale Place was terrible. They did not manage the medication very well, they either wouldn't get them on time or they wouldn't get the proper medication. When our loved one fell out of the bed they did not call us to inform us of what had happened. The food is terrible. The staff is poorly trained, even had a staff member pull me to the side and suggested we get our loved one out of this community. They only have 1 nurse for about 200 residents; the care giving staff wasn't very empathetic. When you were there you were lucky to see someone come check on your loved one. The response time for someone pulling the emergency cord was like 30 minutes. When I would call at various times to check on loved one no body would answer the phone. The nurse seemed combative and always made excuses for the staff. It is not located in a good neighborhood and is really a depressing place. I would not recommend this community to anyone. Would give them a zero if I could.

Good Community

My loved one was here but had to move her due to needing a higher level of care. They were conveniently located and we enjoyed being at this community. We did have to supply 100% of the furnishing and any other goodies. They have 3 meals a day that are offered in the dining area. The head person Roberta gave us false information which at the time gave me peace of mind but turns out due to it being false I ended up having more issues.

Toured with the Director. One of the ...

Toured with the Director. One of the residents allowed us to see her 2 BR place. Spacious and nice. Renovations going on inside. The outside looked very tired and I felt some concern about the neighborhood. It is pretty far from what is familiar to mom and dad. The Director gave me some contact information about VA information.

I enjoyed this facility very much and...

I enjoyed this facility very much and believe our father would be happy here. Facility was clean and the staff was very cordial and attentive.

Think we visited a friend. Had lunch ...

Think we visited a friend. Had lunch with them. Did not have a tour. Nice.

The space is very nice and has a lot ...

The space is very nice and has a lot of good points. I was hoping for a studio rather than a one bedroom apt but the price was still ok. This home would also take my dad to the church he prefers so that is also a big plus. I also felt they are very aware of the residents, their health issues, and any changes that might be occuring.

older but renovated. I met some resid...

older but renovated. I met some residents and they seem pretty happy. they do have on site assisted living and a therapy pool - water aerobics. no studios - all one bedroom, one br deluxe or 2 br.

Tramway Brookdale is my preference be...

Tramway Brookdale is my preference because of the location but if they're set up like the Tramway location I could see mom being happy in either place.

Brookdale Place at Valencia provides a full range of choices for today's seniors. Choosing a senior living community represents a lifestyle choice and we understand that our residents are choosing much more than a comfortable living environment to call home. Our Brookdale community delivers Inspired Independent Living, with the promise of Exceptional Experiences Everyday. In choosing this community, our residents have made a conscious lifestyle decision designed to deliver enhanced opportunities for pursuing health and life fulfillment through the exceptional services, amenities and opportunities we offer. And, our residents can rest assured that as their needs change we provide a variety of ancillary services and a Personalized Assisted Living environment that encourages our residents to continue to live as they please while respecting individual preferences.