Vintage Hills of Indianola - Indianola, IA

Vintage Hills is located in Indianola, Iowa just 15 minutes south of Des Moines.
There are 46 assisted living apartments ranging from 414 to 813 square feet. The memory care consist of 20 apartments with private and shared rooms. We have immediate availabilities for memory care.
There is a town center connected to the the community with many amenities.
We are currently building new town homes with heated underground parking. Expected opening for town homes is August 2013.
We accept Aid & Attendance for Veterans.

Somethings were wonderful others were awful

This is a beautiful community and even though my father was only there for 2 weeks during that time some of the nursing staff were so very kind and caring with my dad. Dad loved to dance so they would dance with him all around his room and it made him feel so good.
Unfortunately I also had a very bad experience with a few of the staff there. I was told that I was calling too often and that they had everything under control with my dad's care and his meds when I would ask about him. I was also turned away when I brought my children to see their grandfather and told that they upset him and it was hard to calm him down after one of their visits. Sometimes when I came to visit (by myself) I found that his daily care needs had not been addressed he was wearing soiled clothing and I cleaned him up and changed his clothes for him.
My dad did have a fall and was taken to the hospital for observation and when we called the community about it there was no record/report on file yet he had been transported by the paramedics because of the fall. My father did not go back to the community as we brought him home under the supervision of hospice until he passed.

Watermark Ambassador

I’m glad to hear your feedback about the loving atmosphere at Vintage Hills. I discussed your review with the team and how to better communicate when a resident is having a tough day. I personally visited your father every day I was in the community and I did not note any issues in cleanliness. However, sometimes after a meal folks don’t want to change right away and that may have been the case. Unless it is crucial for health and wellness, we will accept a refusal for grooming or clothing updates and instead, will wait an hour or so and try again. It is a delicate balance and we always first respect the wishes and preference of our residents. Our records indicate different information regarding the hospital visit which I of course would not discuss in a public forum such as this. I would be more than happy to speak with you at any time if you call [removed]. Your father was a welcome addition to our community and he is missed. Our hearts go out to you and your family. Sincerely, Lyn Hilgenberg, Executive Director
Posted on behalf of Lyn Hilgenberg.

We are pleased with this community

Mom and dad are doing well at this community. They seem to like it here. My parents like the food and they bring dad's meals to the room. They do a good job with their laundry. They offer daily activities and the community is clean. There is a nurse that checks on them weekly and I would recommend this community.

Watermark Ambassador

Thank you for sharing your experience. Please stay in close contact and let us know anything we can do to ensure your parents continue to thrive. Sincerely, Lyn Hilgenberg, Executive Director
Posted on behalf of Lyn Hilgenberg.

Staff Go Above and Beyond

When we first walked through the door, I knew this place was it! This place has an outdoor area with a garden, my friend loves mending it. The place is top of the line, beautiful and awesome. It is always spotless and the staff go over and beyond and keep my friend occupied. the food is so wonderful and my friend loves it! the chef checks on the residents and asks for requests. I cant say enough about this place and Monica is a great communicator.

Watermark Ambassador

That’s wonderful to hear, thank you for providing a review. Thank you I will share this with our entire team. Sincerely, Annette Grochala
Posted on behalf of Annette Grochala.

mom has been VERY impressed

My mom has been VERY impressed with the friendly staff! It's a lot of money, but she's safe there, and the cost is about the going rate. I do wish that they would do more laundry for you without having to pay extra. It's been a good placement for mom. We've been real happy with the care and treatment of the residents. Personnel is very kind and helpful.

My experience with Vintage Hills had ...

My experience with Vintage Hills had been fine. The staff is good, I like them. They are friendly and caring. The facility is very clean. They have good food selection. I'm pleased overall.

Unkept promises!

I think the facility is nice, however, the promises and claims made about the memory care unit, and what they are set up for and trained to handle are VERY exaggerated. This can have disasterous results for families who trust in those promises. Though some of the staff is amazing and exceptional with the residents, there are at least as many who have minimal training and little or no desire to learn ways to help your loved one through the difficult road that dementia takes them down. When they become overwhelmed with the needs of a given resident, you will be given a notice of 30 days to find another facility. I want others to be aware of this policy, since moves are so devastating for people with dementia. Every move is a monumental set back. Be wary!

Watermark Ambassador

The health, happiness and safety of our residents are always our top priority. Upon move-in, we carefully explain that every resident may remain with us until the end of life, as long as they continue to meet standard criteria set forth by the State. We are required by assisted living regulations to include and review this criteria in every residency agreement. To respect the privacy of individuals and family members, I of course cannot discuss specifics or details. We are typically able to resolve or manage any issues by working extensively with physicians, physician assistants and providing extra input and training to our caregivers but in this instance we simply could not come to a resolution. We are all deeply saddened when a new resident becomes unable to remain in our environment. Please feel free to contact me at any time and we can further discuss what took place over your Mom’s stay here at the community. I am anxious to do what I can for your family during this difficult time.

Sincerely, Annette Grochala, Executive Director

Wonderful Community

When I viewed the communities back in march 2013 I was looking for a nice home for my parents. I went to the Village Hills of Indianola and found the staff to be wonderful the layout and grounds were well kept and the care service we were seeking fit the needs of my parents.

Warm friendly place, feels like home

My mom moved in and really likes living here. She says the food is good and she enjoys the activities.

Beautiful new senior community

This place is first class and affordable

great place for entertainment

We attended a Hawiian Luau and had a great time.
This place is first rate!

Caring staff committed to residents

We just moved here from the east coast and bought a house. Being new to the area, we asked our realtor where we should look for my mother. Vintage Hills was warm and cozy like living in a small town. The staff was genuine and friendly. They focused on my mom and made her feel welcome.
We moved mom in 2 months ago and she really enjoys going outside in the courtyard to water flowers
(she had a big garden at home) and sit with her friends.
We have had lunch with her and the food is very good.
We highly recommend this place, our mom is very happy here.