Edencrest at Riverwoods - Des Moines, IA

My care and comfort

We like this community for good care. We like the staff who are caring and attentive. The menu is good with a lot of healthy choices. They offer actives for the participate We would recommend this community for good care and a nice environment for others.

Kayle Neegaard

We so appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. It is a pleasure to provide wonderful care, delicious meals and life enriching activities for our residents. Thank you for the positive feedback!

Options for mom

We toured the community for mom's care. The staff was nice and the community was clean and maintained. We like that the staff was very kind and patient. Meals are offered that are healthy. We would suggest a tour for other families for the value and the levels of care that offered.

Kayle Neegaard

Thank you for sharing your experience during your tour for your mother. We are happy to hear that your experience was a pleasant one. If you haven't chosen a community yet, we hope that you are considering Edencrest at Riverwoods and the amenities it will offer your mother!

Awesome facility!

The facility is really awesome! The staff are accommodating and friendly and the facility is kept well maintained. Everything is going so well, and we don't really have any complaints so far!

Kayle Neegaard

Thank you so very much for sharing your experience so far! We are so pleased to hear that your experience has been a positive one so far. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to improve further!

It's a very nice place

One of our family members did the tour for us at Edencrest and they did like the community, it was clean and spacious, the staff was friendly and they felt Edencrest had a lot to offer their residents.
Between the two we felt that Prairie Hills would be a better fit for my mother-in-law.

Kayle Neegaard

Thank you for sharing your review. We appreciate your wonderful comments regarding our community, the building and the staff. We would be honored to care for your loved one if your situation changes. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us!

Care for family

I like the care that we had from this community. The staff was nice and friendly. They needed more staff members to be able to care for the residents. The community was clean and maintained. The staff needed to make sure that he had his personal needs to be taken care of.

Kayle Neegaard

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with Edencrest at Riverwoods. We're glad you have been satisfied with the care provided. Our goal is always to not only meet expectations but also exceed them.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. The facilities were clean, food was good. The apartments in memory care were nice but the area was small, only 10, and a bit confining.

Kayle Neegaard

We're so happy to hear that you were pleased with the community, our staff and the dining experience. We appreciate your feedback regarding our Memory Care program as well. Our goal is to create a home-like environment that encourages residents to spend their time just as they would in their homes before Edencrest. Thank you so much!

Care and Comfort

This is a nice community for good care. The staff is pleasant. The meals are needing some small improvements lately. They offer a lot of activities that he is participating in and it is very helpful. They have a nice activities board to see what he is participating in. We would recommend this community for other families for the care of a loved one.

Kayle Neegaard

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. We are glad your loved one is enjoying his time at Riverwoods. Please let us know what improvements you would like to see in our culinary service as we are always looking to be the very best for our residents and their guests.

All around great community !!

All around this community has provided excellent care to my mother and I have been very pleased with her experience this far. She does not eat many of the meals because of her age but really likes the dinning experience and the interaction she has with the other residents. I really like the fact that they have multiple common areas with great amenities for her to relax throughout the day and not be stuck in her bedroom.

Kayle Neegaard

What a pleasure it was to read of your family's experience with your mother at Edencrest at Riverwoods. We are so pleased to hear that she has adjusted well and is enjoying herself. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help make her experience even more enjoyable. Thank you again for your kind words!

Great place

From our initial visit, assessment, and move-in, we have been impressed. Staff, building, food, activities have all been favorable. My mother has tried not to be happy there, but she enjoys the food, flexible mealtimes, says the staff is friendly and respectful and facilities are well maintained and clean. She is still avoiding activities,but they have a wide variety to participate in, they ask but do not push. She particularly enjoys it when staff has their children visit. Would highly recommend based on experience at this time.

Kayle Neegaard

Hazel, it was a pleasure reading your comments regarding your experience with Edencrest at Riverwoods. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and please let us know if there is anything else we can do to make your mother's experience with us even more enjoyble.

Nice Community With Good People

She is doing very well here. I'am pleased with all they have done for us. This is a lovely community with kind people. There are nice activities and good food. Overall everything is working out well.

Kayle Neegaard

Thank you for taking the time to review Edencrest at Riverwoods. We appreciate your honest feedback and the positive information you've shared. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to improve further!

Very helpful staff!

We're very pleased with how things turned out at Edencrest at Riverwoods! It's a very nice looking place, and the people we worked with were a huge help throughout the whole process!

Kayle Neegaard

Thank you for taking time to share your positive experience with Edencrest at Riverwoods. We are thrilled you chose our community and will work hard to ensure your loved one gets the very best care possible!

The people here are so happy

The people here are so happy. We would have moved here, except they were opening another location closer to me, so we were able to move to the new one. Which is pretty much identical, and so wonderful!

Kayle Neegaard

We're so happy you chose to stay in the Edencrest family. Thank you for your kind review!

RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN IN THE OTHER DIRECTION

Alzheimers/ Dememtia unit Review. My mom was moved no less than 4 times in the 7 months she was there. The staff is not trained properly, and management does not have their backs. No wipes, no cleaning products, and those who try to care cannot because they do not have the proper equipment. No one there repeatedly. Yelling at my mom from across the room while sitting around.

Mom was left in a soaked bed without attention until noon. Left in a room with no bathroom....Any facility affiliated with this one, I would Highly discourage. This is not a joke or a prank. I wish it was.

Kayle Neegaard

Thank you for reviewing our community. We apologize that your experience was not as you had hoped. Your comments have been reviewed and are taken very seriously. We are always looking to improve our services.

We are very happy with Edencrest so far.

We are very happy with Edencrest so far. We don't have any major complaints at all.

Kayle Neegaard

Thank you for reviewing Edencrest at Riverwoods in Des Moines. We are extremely happy to hear that you are enjoying the community. Please let us know is there anything else we can do!

Very nice place, overall

Overall we're very pleased with how things have turned out at Edencrest at Riverwoods. The facility itself is very nice. It is clean, well kept, and comfortable feeling. They also do a great job with the food, I've heard nothing but good things from Mom about it! Initially they felt a little understaffed, but they've been adding people and the service has gotten better as the new people settle in.

Kayle Neegaard

Thank you for reviewing Edencrest at Riverwoods! We're very pleased that your mother enjoys the community. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to make your experience more enjoyable!

A Great Experience

I think they could improve on their staffing, they are a understaffed at the moment. Aside from that though, it has been a great experience. They are friendly and caring and concerned about each of the residents and the food is good too.

Kayle Neegaard

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us! We're glad you enjoyed your visit and that you found our staff to be friendly and caring. Please feel free to reach out to us with any questions.

More staffing needed

She has only been there a short time and we are still having some adjustment issues. My Mom has escaped once. They are improving the latch door and working on improvements there. They need more staffing I think, especially in the evenings and on weekends.

This was a very hard decision to make but after getting through the hard part of finally making the decision my dad seems to be doing better. I think it is due to less stress of trying to cover up his memory loss and now he is more relaxed.

Beautiful facility; where's the staff?

Our mother has been in residence less than a month. Eden crest is a small facility -- 50 spaces. But the number of aides seems to be very low. Our mother is in the Closer Care unit and is supposed to be checked on every hour. Don't believe that is happening because of lack of staff. Our mother takes meds in the morning and in the evening; twice the staff has switched the morning meds for the evening ones and once my sister found that some meds were missing all together. On our first visit there was no one at the front desk; I had to wander about the facility until I found a worker in the kitchen. Not a great way to greet new residents. The aides there are hard working and very kind but they could use more help. This facility just hired a community relations manager. I would have preferred they hire more hands on deck.

My grandfather resides here and has had bad experiences that are not just an inconveience, but [removed]. They mess up his medicines constantly, the nurse is exceptionally rude at EVERYONE in my family, the staff literally laughs at my grandfather when he is having problems. (We have seen it firsthand). A Vetran does not deserve the type of treatment he receives. (NO one does). Multiple complaints have been made about the nurse, but it has not changed. In fact, they are promoting her to manager soon.

More care givers are needed for the memory unit.

Love the Activities

Edencrest offers a great activity program for the residents with a wide variety of choices the residents always have something to keep busy with. They also offer free transportation for shopping and appointments which is great. The staff is very friendly and tries hard to please everyone. We really liked visiting Edencrest.

The Best Solution

This was the best solution to meet our needs. Food is excellent. They offer exercise, bingo, and group activities but could use a little more variety of activities that is why I rate it 4 1/2 stars. It is very clean, Friendly, A Great Value, and offer Great care Services. My overall rating of this place is 5 stars. I am very pleased with this facility and so Is my loved one. I would recommend this place if your searching for a great assisted living home.

a few things to improve

One thing I do like about them is that they do treat my dad with respect, which is very important.

That said, there are definitely some things they can improve on.

My dad's sheets have not been changed since he has been there (two months now). Mom has eaten dinner up there with him a couple times and the food has been cold. There is not much activity - just listening to music or doing puzzles. Dad says there is nothing for guys there.

If mom was going into assisted living, we would have chosen this place.

I really liked this community as it was pretty new and nice looking. It is an assisted living and I do not think my mom was ready for assisted living which is why we did not choose this community. When I toured, the staff was very friendly and helpful. If mom was going into assisted living, we would have chosen this place.

Doing well here!

They do a great job overall at Edencrest at Riverwoods. It's a clean, well kept, nice looking community, and they take great care of their residents. The staff are all very friendly, and have been very helpful every step of the way, answering all of our questions. My only complaint is that they could do a bit better in terms of providing activities, but I understand that since they are a newer community they may not have the population for a full activities program yet.

Did not have a good experience

We did not have a good experience with this community. From the very beginning we stressed to them that we didn't want this to be a "trial basis" type move, we wanted somewhere that our loved one could be comfortable in until the end. They told us this wouldn't be a problem, and that they could handle her level of memory care. However, after only 2 weeks here they've already said we need to find somewhere else for her, which is the exact situation we were trying to avoid. It has been a very negative experience.

Kayle Neegaard

"Edencrest understands that dementia is not a specific disease process with typical results. Each resident with dementia has very different outcomes that cannot be anticipated. When those with dementia present with needs beyond the capabilities of the community it is our responsibility to inform the family and assist them to find placement with a higher level of care. Edencrest is committed to assist all families who are confronted with this difficult decision. Our priority is the safety of our residents. "

Senior Housing Companies

Edencrest was also very nic...

Edencrest was also very nice and we were also very impressed with this community. Theresa was our tour guide and very helpful. was a very pretty place.

Kayle Neegaard

“Thank you very much for visiting us at Edencrest and we are so happy to learn that you enjoyed your tour at the community with Tres. Please let us know how we can help you and your family with future senior living needs. Please join us anytime for a meal or one of our many activities and amenities!”

Nightmare

My experience with Edencrest has been a nightmare! I was promised a rate. None of this was documented on the lease until we had to remind them and had them rewrite the lease. Then it was just noted in writing (not typed). We were promised that the life time fee could be made in installments and was told at time of signing - they made an error and did not notify us until the day of signing. They should have called us at the time the error was noticed. I was also promised that moving mom in 3 days before the 1st of the month there would be no charge and then was told I needed to pay for each day on the day of signing. I feel the management is inexperienced with no prior Senior Care experience. The manager did not relay any information when errors were made. All phone calls were made by the family - no phone calls were made by the staff to relay mistakes or to check on move in date. No information was relayed until day of lease signing. The staff had 4 weeks to prepare for my Mom's move into the facility and they did not have her meds ready when we arrived. My Mother has Alzheimers and the staff have been very nice, but have had no training in taking care of Alzheimers patients. Alzheimers patients need to be on a strict schedule and need to not have to make decisions on what to eat and when to eat and drink. Elderly patients need to be reminded to keep up their daily fluid intake, not ask for food or drink when they want. The elderly also need to have the ability to ask for any drink or eats at any time of the day or night. Food and fluids should be given to residents on a routine basis without asking. I would like a to speak to a qualified owner of this residence - not the manager, she has not been helpful at all. My Mother has 4 daughters - the manager should have been aware to get the propery documentation signed by the executor so that we all are able to talk about moms care and our concerns about her care. We all have a part of Mom's care - I understand HIPPA I work in an Insurance Agency - this is not new to me. We also have had Mom in a very qualified care facility for 5 years prior to Mom moving here.

Kayle Neegaard

"Edencrest's goal is provide excellent service to not only the resident but the family. We take each concern very seriously and will work with those involved to ensure the best outcome. We have met with the family to address these items and successfully resolve their concerns"