The Shores at Pleasant Hill - Pleasant Hill, IA

Very impressed

Having my loved ones here has been very good. My loved one actually gained some strength after only being here for 2 months. I have no major complaints with them. The marketing person there, [Removed], is extremely responsive while we first visited. She went out of her way to be cheerful and welcoming. She really related well to my loved ones even though she herself may be 60 years younger than them. The facility itself is very clean, bright, and very upscale. They encourage a lot of individuality; it’s not as institutional like some of the other places I looked at. They also give residents a lot of options so they get a sense that they are still in control with certain things. I am very impressed with them. The staff is definitely friendly and knowledgeable; they know what they are doing. The provide activities like bingo and happy hours on Fridays. They also provided meals for me if I were come unannounced during a visit. The food is good and I was also impressed by that. They have menus that they put out a week ahead. They have a nice variety and a nice balance as far as diets goes. Food wise, no complaints. Every time I go there the staff almost knows me by name but they knew my loved ones by name. Which I think is important because it shows how personable they are.

Mom really liked this place. there is a financial meeting this morning at 10 that she and my sister will attend. Mom likes idea of staying in same apt when transfer to assisted living. Also each apt has washer/dryer.

Living at The Shores

My Mom has been at The Shores for a couple of months and it has been an excellent time for her and our family.

Everything is going great!!

Everything has been going great for my father so far at this community. The staff have been friendly and have been very helpful with making sure my dad makes the transition comfortably. He has been enjoying the food and is looking forward to participating in some of the activities they have to offer throughout the week. I am really happy he is becoming social with the other residents as well.

Care for dad

We are very happy with this community. The staff are always nice and caring. The menu is appealing with a good variety. The community is well maintained. The community offers a lot of nice activities for the residents to participate. We would highly recommend this community for others families.

I Live Wonderfully

I like that I get to meet a lot of people with different backgrounds and interests. The main selling point was when I had a tour with them, they made feel like a person and treated me well. They have been very helpful and if I got to the front desk someone is there to help me too. My apartment comes with a den and plenty of closet space. It is cleaned weekly and they do a nice job. Currently they are finishing new flooring through out the community. The meals and activities have been great.

My mother moved in over a month ago and is really enjoying her new place. She has always lived in a house and really enjoys all the amenities at The Shores

Nice will put on hold till talk with folks. Thinking Altoona still a nicer location and facilities. Wanted 2000 dollar and didn't feel that the facilities wasn't that exceptional for such large down payment. Person said still would keep us updated without the deposit .looking more in march time period. They are in the process to update floor and felt new painting will spruce facilities.

Unique approach for residents!

The community at The Shores at Pleasant Hill is very intriguing. The staff did a wonderful job explaining the benefits of the community and their interesting approach to senior living. When a resident moves into a unit in independent living they get to stay in that unit even if level of care changes. If they need assisted living then they stay in their unit and more care is provided as needed. This really helps the residents from having to move and settle in more than once. The community does seem to look like a hospital setting and a little sterile but its for the transitioning approach that they take with the residents.

Disappointed With Pods

I took a tour of this community and was shown a "pod" It looked like a 200 sq. ft. room, it had a bed with 2 chairs. I was told the bathroom is attached but I did not like that the room was very small. It also seemed that there was a charge for everything, like for the mail keys and to take the mail to your room if requested. I was not impressed.

The right decision

My mother was so against moving out of her home of 66 years. She was depressed and very negative about everything. I have seen such an improvement in her attitude since she moved into an independent living apartment a month ago. I was afraid that she would just sit in her room and pout, but she has really joined in the activities and seems to be much happier than I have seen her in years. She says everyone there is so friendly and all the residents help each other out whenever they can. I am convinced we definitely made the right decision.

Pleasant surroundings but...e

If you are looking for independent living community this may suit your needs. If, however, you are considering this for assisted living and or memory care you definitely should first explore the other memory care and assisted living communities in the Greater Des Moines area. This is due to the quality of care issues. The experience turned out to be a less than satisfactory one.

Very, very nice. However, we want som...

Very, very nice. However, we want something smaller, this was just very large. They would not give me a copy of certification until a move???? The insurance company required this. Found this to be a strange policy.

Welcome to The Shores of Pleasant Hill. We provide
independent living, assisted living, and memory care — a flexible range
of support, without a buy-in. The building is remarkable; up on a
hill, overlooking Copper Creek Lake. Likewise, the interior has many
comforts, and a stimulating social environment. Everything is designed
to support three guiding values: Community, Courtesy & Creativity.

Individuals and couples will find the support they need, in a community founded upon three enduring principles. We offer Independent Living, Assisted Living, and Memory Care (the Nest) — a flexible range of support, without a buy-in.

The physical space is remarkable; up on a hill, overlooking Copper
Creek Lake. The interior is comfortable and inviting, with a well
trained and accommodating staff. Helpful amenities are throughout,
including a heated garage, Internet cafe, fitness room, and beauty
& barber salon. The dining room has lakeside views, with meals that
match the setting.

Beyond the physical foundation,
the social environment stands out at The Shores. Our principles of
Courtesy, Creativity and Community guide daily life. The Leisure and
Events Coordinator makes each day interesting, plus there are Community
Circles that form around areas of common interest. We are here to help
each person make the most of each day.
The Shores
offers a range of support for seniors and their families. People live
here to simplify life and gain the help they need. Once someone is part
of this community, they have the flexibility to move between
Independent Living, Assisted Living, and Memory Care