University Living in Ann Arbor - Ann Arbor, MI

[Name removed] was very outgoing and friendly, helpful, introduced us to lots of staff. They pay their staff well. What impressed me was while touring, one of the staff's toddler came waddling along exploring. I asked if staff was allowed to bring their children to work, Mom said no, but that her husband was on the night shift and brings the daughter along to switch parenting duties. The fact that the couple worked at the same place meant that they were paid well, or somewhat well! The residents were interesting and the place had lots of perks, but not as many as Story Point. This place was limited in room choices but was much closer to town.

Seemed a friendly atmosphere. The studio they showed us was not particularly clean, so you had to have a good imagination to determine if it would work for your Mom!! Low pressure presentation. Still have lots of questions, but will wait until we have seen two or more locations.

It's a pleasant environment, but they need more staff.

We didn't integrate very well, as far as an adequate care plan. We liked that they had tier levels of care, that's why we chose them, and we are on the highest level of care, but they aren't all trained to provide for the level of care. They do their own training here. They are a little understaffed as far as the nursing staff, and have been trying to hire a new nurse since before we moved in, and the caregivers aren't well trained. The food isn't great, she hasn't been happy with the food, and I haven't been impressed with it either. When I bring up the issues, they do make an effort to fix things. When we first came we didn't get an orientation package at all, we don't know who to ask for what. It's a pleasant environment, some of the staff have tried really hard to step up, but individuals can only do so much. In the first month I was there, I was physically there every single day to make sure things were done.

The staff was willing to work with me.

The staff was willing to work with me. It was very pricey and fancy. The food was as if you was going to a restaurant. They had guest lectures. My parents are religious and didn't think this would work for them. The rooms were also small and too small for my parents.

University Living, Ann Arbor

Too many problems for my parents at University Living to list, including incorrect administration of meds. The for-profit, distant corporate office model is generally not a good one for this kind of operation. Certainly true in this case.

I am frustrated overall

Overall everything is pretty good. I am having some trouble the group of doctors they have there. My dad is really swollen and it's been frustrating me. I love the people that work there a lot and some are working double shifts. The group of doctors they have come in, I don't care for that system. They are taking the residents medical money and they are under staff. The HR lady just quit the staff but for the most part they do care for the people there.

Friendly, communicative staff

We've had an excellent experience with University Living so far! I think they do an excellent job of quickly assessing the needs and personality of your loved one, and they go out of their way to help them get involved in activities that may be of interest to them. They are also very communicative with family members, and always keep me apprised of how my loved one is doing. I really have nothing but good things to say about them, I would recommend them highly!

Happy customer

I recommend University Living as a place for your parents if they need care giving. My mother was challenging at times and the staff was always kind, caring and helpful. I am very blessed to have found a place where my parents could be together during their last weeks. They went above and beyond with my mother during her critical time, and always attended to my father's needs and well being.

Very involved, caring staff

Overall our experience with University Living has been a very good one! The staff here really seems to be involved, and they're very thorough when it comes to placement. In our initial conversations they made very sure that we were getting the appropriate level of care. They've done a great job overall, and I would recommend them to others looking into care in the area!

Staff Makes the difference

The team at University Living really took the time to understand where my mother is on her journey. They recommended a level of care that is exactly right for her and had the ability to customize to her needs, something I did not see in other facilities. The staff engages with the residents and seems to truely care about each one.

I was not impressed, at all.

I toured University Living when I was looking around. I was not impressed, at all. As soon as I went in I wanted to leave. This was not for us. I didn't think mom would like it here.

Visited on Friday, 8/1. Plu...

Visited on Friday, 8/1. Pluses - lower deposit, tier pricing, location, facilities, activities, quiet area in back.

First floor is very importa...

First floor is very important and they have very nice spaces. Staff seemed very caring and sincere.

Good Community

They are a very good community with a lot to offer. This was one of our top three communities and we feel all three of them were pretty much the same so we let our loved one choose which one they wanted to move to. The community is very clean and the staff is friendly. We would have been happy with either choice.