University House Issaquah - Issaquah, WA

Best all around

After a long search and many places we had found the perfect place for my Mom. I rated cleanliness only a 4 star only because of a large center piece of furniture that is in the lobby in front of the entrance smells like an old attic. I am not sure if it has ever been professionally cleaned or not. But the rest of this establishment is quite clean and taken taken well care of. The setting is beautiful. I rated activities only a 4 also because in comparison to some other places they had less activities, but the other places do not have an inside swimming pool which made up for it. My Mom loves using the pool. The dining I feel was the best in comparison to the other establisments also. They have a wonderful chef there that really knows how to prepare the best tasting dishes. The layout of the 1 bedroom apartment was design in a better fashion than most that we looked at around the area.

Jacob Almo

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I’m sorry to hear that the lobby furniture smelled poorly to you. I’ve checked it out, and it looks like it’s been cleaned since you were here. Please let us know if you notice this again. We always strive to ensure that our residents and their family members feel at home and find all parts of our community inviting, comfortable, and clean.

We’re happy to hear that your mom is enjoying the pool and the food. I encourage you or your mom to talk with me or our life enrichment team if you have special requests on activities. We’re always open to hearing new ideas from our residents and family members. Thanks again for the feedback! Esther Friend, Executive Director

Seeing The Community

We felt like this community would have been fine. They were a great community to see but the deciding factor was to find a place that had mostly people who could speak Cantonese with the same type of population. They were not the best fit for my In-Law.

Jacob Almo

Thank you for your feedback, and it's nice to hear that our community left you with a positive impression. We hope you were able to find the right fit for your in-law.

Great Staff

My Mom has been there for about a year now. they were very understanding to what she needed and helped her (and me) get a new 'normal' established. I cannot say enough good things about the Front Desk Staff! they have been invaluable for me. When I come in to visit they are a wealth of information about where my mom is and how she is doing that day. Any place where large numbers of people live is going to have challenges but the cleaning and maintenance staff are on the ball when problems happen. I was there recently when they had a fire drill and as someone who runs those for a large company myself I was very pleased with the staff's communication, efficiency, and most importantly commitment to the drill. Well done. The several times I have eaten there the food has been excellent and the wait staff patient and attentive. Great job all around.

Jacob Almo

Thank you so much for your kind and thoughtful feedback, Robert! We strive to make what can be a difficult transition easier on both the residents and their families, and I am happy to hear that we succeeded with your family. It's an honor to have your mom as part of our community!

Rocky road, No dogs in the courtyard!

After a rough start, things are finally settling down. First, two-weeks were filled with inaccurate information. Once taken to management clarification was found on most items. Housekeeping eventually knocks my mother's door while she undressed from the waist down, she asked for him to give her a minute and was unheard. The male housekeeper was asked to leave after entering the room with his key and eventually did.
Given that the start of this was not going well my mother was hoping to have dinner in her room but only receiving 50% of her meals. Once again after speaking to Food service manager corrections were made.
Last but not least, we chose this place because we were advised it was pet-friendly and dogs could be walked in the courtyard. The dog was not with Mom for move in, when she tried to have the dog come home to her she was told they are not allowed.

Jacob Almo

Thank you for sharing your concerns. I understand how stressful this kind of transition can be for the whole family, and I am sorry to hear that you feel it did not go smoothly. I would love to talk with you directly to understand your concerns more completely. I can clarify any communication issues and would also like to take this opportunity to learn from your experience. Please call me at [removed] at your earliest convenience. I’d be happy to talk to you after hours if that works best for you. Thank you very much. Albert Munanga, Executive Director of University House Issaquah.

It was on a hill!

The University House Issaquah was really nice and we liked it except for the location. It was on a hill and my husband and I were still driving. That was a minus. Also, the food was not as good as other community that we toured.

My tour!!

This was a larger community and my mother in law felt it would not work for her. It was clean and the people were nice. I would say this would be a community to look at.

I researched and visited numerous properties in the greater Seattle area before deciding on University House in Issaquah for my mother, whom I recently transplanted from her home in Tucson. I’d like to thank Liz and Albert for their assistance and patience. The process of moving her took a little over one year to accomplish.
At 92, my mother was understandably scared, apprehensive, and not completely convinced that we had made the right decision. The transition, however, went very smoothly, and she immediately fell in love with her new apartment and the beautiful garden views she overlooked from her living room and bedroom.
Newcomers are assigned a personal “ambassador” who introduces them to other residents, shows them around, and explains all the amenities, of which there are many. It is a lovely program that helps individuals quickly get acclimated to their new environment.
Residents get to experience a true sense of camaraderie/community because of a myriad of daily enriching activities that are provided, where all can flourish. They also often congregate for dinner in the lovely dining room, where the service is friendly, and the food delicious.
The staff is caring and helpful, and always available to provide assistance if needed. I especially want to recognize the maintenance group, and to say thank you for all they do.
We couldn’t be happier with the choice we made.

Liked this place very much, lots of activities, but I feel very it is isolated on the hill.

A Great Place to Be

Issaquah House has been a wonderful experience for my parents as recent newcomers. Everyone there has been so wonderful and helpful. Couldn't have asked for a better transition into their new home. Thanks to all the great staff!

Very impressed. Certainly not an inexpensive option, but our tour, led by Liz Murray was splendid and we could have checked in then! We felt welcome, and that the staff made extra effort to make us at home. Having lunch with Dottie, one of the Ambassadors was a highlight. Location may be a challenge for us, but we are certainly intrigued by this ERA Living property. Thanks

My mother in law enjoys the painting class!!!

Since moving into University House my mother in law enjoys the movies and performances they offer. The staff are nice and helpful. She let me know that no one complains about the food. I would recommend this community however keep in mind it is between 2 busy roads.

My first month at University House

I'm just ending my fourth week and am very much pleased with the experience. All the staff are friendly and most accommodating at all times.
I have met many of the residents and participated in several of the many activities. It is a very comfortable atmosphere, and I am very satisfied that I am in the right place.

Nice pleasant atmosphere

When you walk into the facility, there Is always a nice pleasant atmosphere. The front desk associates and the maintenance man are very friendly. My mother has not been there very long,(close to a month) and is still getting adjusted to the facility. She has been to the exercise class a few times and seems to enjoy that. There is a young man in the dining facility that is very nice, but my mother has mentioned that the service is slow and the food is not hot enough.

University House Issaquah

Best place in the world. Really appreciate Lynda Krill. Employees are so kind and helpful. Food is exceptional. Thank you, thank you for everything!

Review of University House Issaquah

I cannot say enough about the great job that is done by all of the staff, and the attention and care that we residents receive. Special kudos to Grant and his kitchen staff for their inventive, nourishing and very well prepared meals. the young servers, the general supporting staff and certainly the professional management give excellent hands on care. I am very happy here.

Review of University House Issaquah

Generally consistently very good level of care and services. Once in a while something is not done right the first time or service is slow, but you try to rectify these things. Staff are extremely friendly, approachable and responsive (front-line staff). We'd love to see you change how you answer the phone -- it's very long. What about "U-House, may I help you?" and leave it at that!

Review of University House Issaquah

University House offers a pleasant, friendly atmosphere where a couple can do as much or as little as one wishes. My most recent career was as an attorney for 35 years. My Corgie dog and I are pleased with the friendly support we receive.
Highly recommended by both of us and my late wife of 63 years who passes away here 4 years ago.

Review of University House Issaquah

We moved my mom in after my dad died. It has been such a wonderful transition for her. she loves the apartment she lives in and enjoys the food a great deal. It gives us peace knowing that the University House has great care for my mother. After almost two years my mom is very happy!

Review of University House Issaquah

Excellent place to live! Personnel friendly and helpful. Residents interesting and friendly. Like the cloth napkins, white table cloths, etc. Enjoy the upscale decor.

Unfullfilled promises

Like other reviewers, my experience with the staff was all positive when they were trying to make the sale, far less so once our mom was in residence. Everyone is very friendly but they never follow through. When we moved in there were no light bulbs the bedroom or closet fixtures. After several weeks, my sister gave up asking the staff and put them in herself. Given that the daily cost is equivalent to a hotel, the service is fair, at best. Although we are paying extra for daily assistance, my mother is not receiving the care promised. The staff seems incapable of providing the most obvious assistance, like emptying her potty chair.

All the people who work at the University House are very friendly, helpful and so patient with the guests as well as the residents. The food is excellent. Beautiful on the inside and the gardens around it. My parents love it!

There is a fairly high turnover rate among the staff. Management seems to place a higher priority on the bottom line than they do the compassionate care of residents. There has been no status updates/communication from staff as to how loved ones are doing. Priority seems to be more on bringing in new residents rather than keeping ones already there.

Nice place, overall

Our experience with University House has been a positive one! The place is nice looking, well kept, and clean, and the staff have all been very friendly and professional. They are worth a look if you're looking into senior living in the area!

great to work with

Mom just moved in three weeks ago. She loves it there. The food is wonderful, people are friendly, and she feels very much at home. Mom is very happy, and if mom is happy, I am happy. They have been great to work with. I'd highly recommend University House Issaquah.

Disagree with dining room policy

Prior to choosing this facility for my parent I received lots of helpful friendly contact from the staff. Once I gave them the deposit and first months rent all contact stopped. It's been over 6 months now and there has been no follow-up from a single staff member asking how things are going for my parent there. My other complaint is the dining room. If you want to have a meal with your loved one alone, you must make a reservation in advance. Otherwise, you will be seated with other residents of the facility. After spending a 6 hour day with your loved one going to doctor appointments, taking them for hospital procedures, etc. making a reservation in their dining room is not top of mind. After a tired and stressful day I do not want to sit with people I don't know. I want to spend the time alone with my loved one, relax and discuss our day in privacy.

Seems like a nice place!

We're happy we found this place. It is a good location for our family, close to everyone, and they seem to take good care of the people who live here.

Read the fine print!

Yes the price is on the high side but we moved mom in after receiving promises of great nursing care, supportive staff and accommodating personnel. HOWEVER, sadly after moving her in it became apparent that due to the high turnover rate and in some cases poorly trained personnel, those promises were made to "make a sale", and bring in tenants. After the move in fee and rent is paid, any other service provided is an extra charge. When a question is asked, the answer is most often, "I'm new here and don't know, I'll get back to you", -"I'm sorry" is the most frequent phrase spoken here by staff. Extremely frustrating as there is no followup, and the worst offender is the director !! This facility is for active, healthy folks who only need the occasional minimal assistance.

We choose University House Issaquah f...

We choose University House Issaquah for my mother because it is close to my house and is a beautiful facility. The residents have been very welcoming and have reached out to include her in their activities. This facility is best for residents active enough that they do not require a lot of extra assisted living other than the basic one meal a day, housekeeping, and transportation included in the rent. On the downside, there were promises made prior to move-in that were not kept. I was told that is because they are short staffed right now. The executive director never returned my call about this.

Independent living

This community is a great community who is more at the retirement or maybe the early end of the assisted living would also be okay, but it wouldn’t be a good match for anyone who needed more skilled care. The food is great.

"Coming Home"

After living in the area for several years, and having relatives who lived in the University House, getting to know the staff and many of people who live here. Knowing the activities and the many good things this place has to offer, makes my arrival like "Coming Home".

Great place for Senior Living

My mother has been a resident of University House Issaquah for one year. She loves her new home and is delighted with the employees. Everyone is helpful, cheerful, and very kind.

Each and every time I visit, it is a joy. Every person at the front desk is open, welcoming and very warm.

I would highly recommend University House to anyone looking for a very special place for their parent.

I visited this facility in ...

I visited this facility in January, 2014. They have all the bells & whistles for anyone who can afford it. Very clean, spacious, and lots of amenities. Natasha was a very gracious hostess who candidly answered all my questions.

Very Social

The staff is extremely friendly and they know all the residents by name. The community is very clean. It seems like the staff members really care about their community and the residents. There are always residents moving around within the community, playing cards, reading the paper or just talking. The atmosphere is just a lot better then the other communities we toured.

Seems like new staff

We were very disappointed with this community. We had toured and interviewed them previously and were told one thing but once we were ready to actually conduct the move they would not do what they had stated they would. It seems like there is new staffing then those that we had previously spoken to. When we called and asked for an individual we had been speaking to previously they just stated he was no longer with them. We liked the community but when we were ready to move in were just disappointed we could not.

My mom was familiar with University H...

My mom was familiar with University House Issaquah and it is close to where I live, so those were the two primary decisions in choosing here. They offer a lot of activities to the residents, plus they have memory care assist.

Welcome to University House Issaquah, an Era Living community. University House offers a warm, vibrant lifestyle, a vast array of amenities, rich programming, and exceptional Independent Living and Assisted Living care.

University House is nestled among the foothills of the beautiful Cascade Mountains, and is just minutes from the arts, fine dining, and shopping. There are 184 apartments ranging from spacious studios to expansive three-bedroom penthouse suites.

Residents of University House experience a maintenance-free lifestyle, including a full service restaurant with chef-prepared selections, on-site Wellness Center staffed by a Registered Nurse, weekly housekeeping and linen services, scheduled transportation and professionally maintained common areas and gardens.

Residents enjoy choosing from nearly 200 Life Enrichment events each month, including regular outings to the symphony and other cultural events, a variety of fitness, aquatic, and health classes, lectures, garden parties, chef demos, wine and jazz concerts, professionally curated art galas, and much more. Residents find that there are endless opportunities to pursue their passions, mingle with good friends, or simply sit back and enjoy the ambiance.

Additionally, University House Issaquah is proudly affiliated with the University of Washington Retirement Association. This affiliation provides residents with many benefits including a vibrant culture of distinct academic flavor, special access to University programs, and a commitment to lifelong learning.

Era Living, a respected and recognized leader in retirement living throughout the Puget Sound, is a private, Seattle-based company founded by Eli and Rebecca Almo. Since 1987, Era Living has been dedicated to fostering a healthy and engaging environment of whole body wellness, culture, warmth and social fulfillment, providing exceptional healthcare services and enriching activities at all eight communities. Era Living's Wellness and Active Aging Programs are developed in collaboration with the University of Washington School of Nursing - one of the nation's top-rated nursing schools. It's this type of innovative and vibrant approach to senior living that makes Era Living communities so desirable.

Issaquah, Washington is full of culture, fun activities, and and recreation. For even more to do, Seattle, Washington is just a short 14 miles away.

City info

Population: The average age of residents in Issaquah is 37. There is a total of four different senior living places in the 98029 zip code. The city has a transportation score of 27 and a walkability score of 30. This means that while some errands can be accomplished on foot, it is largely a car dependent community.

Weather: Winter average temperatures are cold, between 33 and 46 degrees F. Spring is mild between 39 and 58 degrees F. Summer temperatures rarely get too hot and average between 52 and 74 degrees F. Fall is mild as well, averaging between 42 and 60 degrees F. There is an average of 62 inches of precipitation (snow and rain) annually.

Health and Safety

Hospitals in the area: Swedish Issaquah Campus is the local hospital. There is also an urgent care clinic, Overlake Urgent Care Clinic.

Violent Crime in Issaquah is very low, with only 10 violent crimes per year. Property crime is higher with a 29.9% crime rate out of 1,000 residents.

Sports and leisure

Golf courses: While there are not any golf courses in Issaquah, there are several in the surrounding area. These include The Golf Club at Newcastle, Aldarra Golf Club, and Maplewood Golf Course.

Tennis courts/clubs near by: There are several tennis clubs nearby in Bellevue, WA. Clubs include Phantom Lake Bath and Tennis Club, and Samena Swim & Recreation Club. Outdoor park options include Spiritridge Park, Lake Hills Community Park, and Robinswood Tennis Center. Also nearby in Sammamish, WA is Columbia Athletics Club.

Gyms: Issaquah offers several different types of gyms. For yoga, there is Pure 8 Hot Yoga Studio, Gold's Gym, and the Studio. For cross-fitness and training, there is Transform CrossFit and Tiger Mountain Crossfit. Traditional Gyms include Anytime Fitness and Issaquah Fitness.

Shopping and entertainment

Shopping nearby: There are several shopping centers in Issaquah including Pickering Place and Gilman Village, Lincoln Square, Redmond Town Center, and Crossroads Shopping Center. For boutiques, visit E&A Boutique, Lucky You, and Style Me.

Grocery stores: There are 10 different grocery stores in the area. For a traditional grocery store, you can visit Champion Grocery, QFC, Safeway, or Fred Meyer. If markets are more your thing, Issaquah has PCC Community Markets, Town and Country Market, and Gemini Fish Market. For international and organic options, there is Maurya Indian Grocery and Trader Joe's.

Restaurants: There are a variety of restaurants in Issaquah from Traditional American to Mexican to Chinese to almost anything! Some local favorites include The Black Duck Cask and Bottle, Max's World Cafe, Masa Mexican Kitchen and Cantina, Bento-ya Goemon Japanese, Umi Cafe, and Dough Zone Dumpling House.

Libraries: Check out the local public library at the Issaquah Library.

Attractions: For fun in the park, visit Lake Smammamish State Park, Cougar Mountain Zoological Park, or the Newcastle Beach Park. Learn about local history at the Gilman Town Hall and Issaquah Depot Museum. Other fun attractions include the Museum of Flight, Bellevue Acquatic Center, and the Issaquah Salmon Hatchery.

Religious facilities

Churches in Issaquah include Eastridge Church, Timberlake Church, Calvery Chapel Eastside, St. Joseph Catholic, the Church of Jesus Christ and the Latter-Day Saints, and Cross of Christ Lutheran Church. While there are not any synagogues or mosques in Issaquah itself, there are several in the surrounding area.