Thornton Place - Topeka, KS

Good place, just not the first choice

Thornton place was one of the first communities I toured when I was looking with a friend's niece for a place for her aunt. I can't say I'm impressed. It's a nice place, clean from what I've seen, but there are no nurses on staff. There's also no staff available during the night, so if someone needs help or there are problems, there's no one there to help them. There's no memory care available either, which was just something that my friend needed. Overall this place isn't bad, but it wasn't our first choice.

Really Liked The Place

My husband and I are doing just fine since moving here. We are very pleased with our apartment it is very spacious for us. We have 2 outside exits and 1 inside exist so when the weather gets bad we don't have to go outside. The staff is very friendly however right now we are without an executive director. We now have a new chef and since we don't have anything to compare to we think the food is good most of the time there are some days that the food isn't as good but some of the residents that have been here longer have mentioned the food used to be better. There are lots of activities to do here residents keep busy. We would recommend this community

Tour Went Well

Everyone was very kind, and friendly to my family, and I. We had a nice tour of this community. Everything went well. It is a nice looking community with kind people. This was not the community for us, but our tour went well.

Not Personable

We really weren't impressed by this community as soon as we walked in. The rooms were nice but the overall environment did not give off a friendly vibe. The inside was clean but could use some updating and the noise level was extremely loud at lunchtime. I did not like that when talking to us about the residents they did not refer to them as residents or guest something positive they kept saying those people or them which gave me the impression they thought of their residents more of objects than people

Mom needed extra reminders

This is a very large and beautiful community. This community is more suited for residents who need little care, definitely an independent living environment. It was not a good fit for my mom because she needed the extra reminders from the caregivers of when mealtimes were being offered. They have activities, but my mom would miss out because she would sometimes sleep through them.

Comfort and care

We toured this community for care and we liked the staff. This community did not have what we looking for due to .other care was the need. We liked the menu that would have been offered with healthy choices. They have a lot of activities that the residents would enjoy. We would recommend that other families tour this community for the options of good care and value.

Nice facility!

My impression of Thornton place, based on what I saw and of testimonies from friends, is that this facility is nice. It is very clean and the staff seemed friendly. In the end, it did not suit my family's needs as far as location and care, but this is still a nice facility!

Pricey!

We had a very good tour of Thorton Place. The facility was clean and nice, and all of the people there were welcoming. The place was just very expensive, we could not afford it.

Great option for a social, active independent senior!

I really liked Thornton Place and they were very accommodating. They took us on a long tour and explained everything in detail and gave us a lot of helpful information. [Removed] did a lot of follow-up to gauge where we were in the process and answered all of my questions.Even though my parents are in good health we felt this would have been a better option for them maybe ten years ago.We wanted a place where the community could match their care needs as they progressed. Thornton Place is definitely a good option for younger independent seniors!

Kind To My Family and I

This is a nice community, and my tour of it went pretty well. Everyone was very kind and welcoming. The community looked good. They do a good job with the cleanliness of the community. The staff I met was friendly and courteous. They were very kind to my family and myself.

Thornton Place

We have had a relative who has lived at Thornton Place for a few years. Until the last year or so, it was a great place to live. It is quickly becoming a frightening place for seniors. Staff has been cut to less than bare minimum. In fact, now there is NO STAFF in house at night and we know for a fact that there are falls and other unforeseen problems during the night for which residents need quick help. The food used to be very good, but now is mediocre at best. Bus service keeps being reduced. Plus, over the years we personally know of residents who were unsafe in independent living conditions, but instead of encouraging, or demanding in some cases, the resident find safer accommodations, we have seen managers do what they can to encourage people to stay, even when it was not in the resident's best interests. Are there no regulations for this type of facility? 2 years ago, we would have considered living at Thornton Place. Now we would not consider it unless these and other problems are corrected. Please be careful when considering this place.

Holiday Retirement

We appreciate you taking the time to share these thoughts with us. The staff at Thornton Place take our reviews very seriously, and we always appreciate folks taking the time to provide us their feedback. While buildings will still have on-site management during daytime, you are right this team will now be able to go home at night to their families and their own households. We understand this may be a change from before, but we strongly feel from a safety standpoint, that we have an even better solution in place for our residents now than before. With a significantly faster emergency response system, residents in need will be directly connected to emergency service personnel that are trained to respond to emergency situations. By expediting response and triage process times, this enables emergency responders to be notified even quicker than what our old system allowed. We hope in time you'll find this change to be positive -- it was the safety of all our residents that prompted the decision to make this change! I'd also like to address your comments regarding residents living in what you say are unsafe living conditions, but have some questions that will likely merit further follow-up in the way of a phone call. If you can reach out to our Employee Relations team at [removed], and provide additional detail and insight, we'd love to be able to discuss this with you.Thank you once again very much for sharing these comments. We look forward to hearing from you and hope you have a wonderful Friday.

My Dad Is Doing Well

The staff speak to me about anything that is going on and provide good care. My dad seems to enjoy all his meals. It is a very clean place and I was told there were upgrades. My dad's room is cleaned weekly and the staff try to encourage my dad with activities. I would recommend this community but I do think it is pricey yet the most affordable for the area.

Review of Thornton Place - Topeka, KS

This community is a great place to live. The activities are fun and good for us. The staff is loving and caring.

would recommend

Thornton Place is a wonderful place. Although mother is moving out now. I am not sure why she didn't like. I just don't think it was a good fit for her. I would recommend this place to anyone.

I would recommend them to anyone at any time.

Thornton Place is wonderful. I would recommend them to anyone at any time. My mother passed away really unexpectedly. They were wonderful through the process. They helped us move out. I can't even tell you how much they care about their residents. It's about the people, not the money. They sent us flowers and sympathy cards, and not just to me but to my siblings as well. When I toured everyone spoke to me, and it was clear how much they cared, they had us for lunch because they wanted us to see how the food was. I was shocked, we signed a 90 day agreement, but they were able to rent her room out right away, and were able to work with us to close out the agreement, since it was so unexpected.

Food

I would like the choices of food to be a higher quality. Everything else is excellent. The staff is outstanding. The mangement team is very caring helpful with the residents.

The start of my Brothers new life experience.

I rented a studio room for my brother without him seeing it and then moved his furniture in and got everything ready for his move. He was pleasantly surprised when we took him to his room, it was freshly painted, new carpet and well cleaned throughout. Took him to the dinning room for his first meal that was real good. It has turned out that he just loves it there.

My mom is loving it at Thornton Place...

My mom is loving it at Thornton Place. The staff and residence are wonderful. The facility is very clean, and very bright, which is what drew me to Thornton Place. It's a welcoming atmosphere.

Thornton Place

Thornton Place has a very friendly and accommodating staff that works hard to please their current residents and future residents. The process of finding a place to live for a loved is very difficult and time consuming and Thornton Place helped in any way possible. We are very pleased with our choice and would highly recommend it.

Betty Palmer died before she was ever...

Betty Palmer died before she was ever able to move into Thornton Place. We had paid all the upfront fees. She fell at a convalescent center just a few days before she was to move in. It took us over three months to get her deposit back. We had to call several times and even go to Thorton Place in person. Finally, after three very stressful months, we received her deposit back. This money helped to pay for her headstone.

Thank you.

Thorton Place

My sister was lonely and needed some help with general stuff. She is really happy here and we are so glad we found it.

Thorton Place top choice

Thorton Place is a busy vibrant community for my mom - who is exceptionally social for her 90 years and needed more contact with people than she was getting at home. After visiting 5 different facilities in town, we found Thornton Place a perfect fit for her. Her memory has improved since taking residence there - the staff is so warm and helpful - and she no longer has to cook or clean. It's the best value for the money in town for those seniors who want to live an active independent lifestyle with just the right amount of help!

The management was incredib...

The management was incredibly helpful in getting my mom moved - and were there to help us with everything from financial choices to actually moving her! This place is hopping! Tons of activities, great food - just couldn't have found a more perfect place!

Very Nice

very very nice here&the meals are first class. the apt is has a walk-in shower tub & a small balcony. plenty of activities.

I found a place for Mom

Our first trip through was a little rough, but it was a new experience for Mom and I. The staff is very friendly and helpful. We visited a second time and Mom was getting more used to the idea. On that visit they had remembered Mom wanted a bathtub and such a unit had become available. She took a quick look on that visit and we went back two weeks later. I thought it was simply a visit, but Mom was convinced. Since making her decision we have both been over several times before her move in just the other day, and participated in some activities. Every meal either of us have had has been quite good. The staff is very well organized. The place is finishing up a renovation and is in good shape. The only downside is that the parking lot is a little small for my F150.

Everything must be going okay

She's there but she's not talking to us for whatever reason so I don't know how she likes it but she's still there so she must like it. Thornton PLace didn't do anything wrong to us, they went out of their way to make everything convinient and an easy, smooth move for her, the thing with us had nothing to do with them. We were comfortable witrh putting her there, they had a beauty salon that I know of and the had a doctor on call, it wasn't an actual doctor doctor but a nurse practitioner of some kind but she's there every day to answer questions and things. They have the ride thing where if you need a ride to go to a doctor appointment you can set that up. We originally couldn't afford it but they lowered the price so that she could have more left over at the end of the month, they pay for everything and all of the food except for the thigns she wants to have in her apartment, all she has to do it write one check.

The apartments do not have ...

The apartments do not have a full kitchen. Also their bus does not run to any practical places other than doctor's offices.

We just moved my father there, and it...

We just moved my father there, and it's great. The 2 sets of rotating managers have been very helpful, very accommodating and very wonderful people. Also the residents have been very welcoming and accepting to my father, and that's just what he needed.

The facility is top-notch, and while my father's only been there a few weeks the housekeeping and the cleaning services have been great. No trash, no marks on the wall, it's a very well-kept facility.

It's advertised as an independent living facility. They were very clear that this is not an assisted living facility but they do regular runs to doctor's offices and grocery stores and they have monthly visits from doctors for blood pressure checks.

The activities...I don't really know yet. Dad is not going to do BINGO but they do have a resident who plays the piano and my father sings, so that's really good.

Very nice & kind. Clean wit...

Very nice & kind. Clean with lots of activities.

Nestled within gorgeously landscaped grounds in the Flint Hills, you’ll love the grandeur of Thornton Place while enjoying all the conveniences of nearby Topeka. We’re just minutes from shopping, dining, healthcare, and wonderful regional attractions.

Our all-inclusive month-to-month rent covers:
- Three delicious and nutritious chef-prepared meals from scratch
- A variety of enriching activities
- Weekly housekeeping and linen service
- Transportation
- Most utilities

Friends in 300 places

Built with your comfort and safety in mind