The Willows at Meadow Branch - Winchester, VA

Not as nice as Spring Arbor but still would work.
COST: Studio $4270 Required deposit of: $3000. Level of care either $400 or $800.
Estimated Monthly cost: $4837 (I divide the $3000 deposit into $167 a month for 18 months) And chose the $400 level of care (medication distribution)

Very nice facility. Clean and rooms were very nice. Just wish the prices weren't so high!

More assisted living than independent living which is not what we are looking for.
Nice facility and friendly people.

Poor staff

At first glance the willows seems like a nice facility, but at further inspection it is obvious they need a lot of changes. They barley have a staff with a high turnover rate. They can’t keep a director of nursing and always seem short staffed. They promise a level of care they just can’t provide. The administration is deceiving about the level of care and the experience a resident will have. They put profit far ahead of resident care.

Enjoying Herself

This is the perfect place for my mother in law it fits her personality very well. She is very happy enjoying all the new people making friends. She is doing the activities they offer. Her unit is quite comfortable she has no complaints. The staff is friendly and helpful when needed. She loves the food it is the best part of her experience. I have not heard anything negative and I don't expect too.

Nice to look at

They can't keep their director of nurses. They have gone through at least 6 in a 3 year time period. From what some staff members say they KEEPa staff member that causes the others to quit.
It is a beautiful facility with seemingly caring individuals but it seems they care more about the appearance of the place more than anything else.
The caregivers and housekeeping staff are very warm and friendly but the office staff seems very rigid and unaccommodating.

Pleasant Tour, but Not The Right for Us

This is a nice facility, and my tour of it went well. The community looked very nice, everything was very nice, and clean. The staff I met was friendly. I did find them to be ridged. They informed me they do not take meals to their rooms unless their sick, and my husband enjoys his meals in his room mainly. It was a good experience, but I knew this wasn't the right for him.

Great quality of care!

This community is really nice and so are the staff. i also like that the residents are more on my mother in laws level. She would be able to have people to sit and talk with at meals. I also like that they have a lot of activities. I saw that they were certified.

Nice facility, not as much as Spring Arbor and while pretty just had a different flavor to it. But I had just come from Spring Arbor. The facility was beautifully decorated for Christmas. Off the foyer is a library and the otherside a living room. Soft music playing and very pretty.
I find marketers tend to talk too much and I have a tendency not to trust them. Kristian was this way. Always saying what they want and think you want to hear.

But with that said, I have chosen to send her to the Willows. They have a memory care area and it is secured so she cannot leave without someone unlocking the door. The rooms are small but nice. She does not need a kitchenette. I like the shadow boxes outside the room so the client can put their personal trickets in it. Plenty of certified careworks on call and in facility. Including a true RN.

Now in process of filing out tons of paperwork. Paid them a $1000 to hold the room. They require a $3000 deposit and the monthly rent after that. Total cost very reasonable for the place. About $6300/month for mom's total care needs.

Looks beautiful, but significant issues underneath

Surprised to see such good reviews on this site. Facility looks beautiful and staff makes a good first impression. However, staffing often reaches critical levels and the lowest level caregivers are overworked and stretched thin. Morale is poor. The position of director of nursing is often vacant (there is a revolving door of LPNs or RNs who take the position and quit in frustration shortly thereafter)---often one nurse quits and the facility lacks any nurse at all until another is hired. Food is salty and unappetizing with sandwiches a common evening meal. Few social activities; most people don't sign up for what is offered and outings are very poorly attended. If you or your loved enjoys social activities, this is not the place for you. Most residents sit alone in rooms with door closed

I Would Not Recommend

The care people are rude and not nice. They had constant issues with my parent's furniture placement but in the beginning they said it was okay. The food is horrible, they gave my parent's regular ice cream when they are diabetics. They tried to over bill me for the catheters that was not need. This is not a welcoming environment and I would not recommend this community.

A great vibe from the start. I'd like to switch places and move in.

Demetria gave a strong tour. I believe my Dad would be happy at this facility. Gave a strong impression of making it feel homelike and not clinical. Only concern is whether Dad can safely stay in the assisted living section since there are not many options for respite in Memory care.

Home in Winchester, VA

Having visited several different communities in the area, I felt this was the best fit for my family member. It does not look like a facility. The staff do not wear uniforms. Instead, they wear regular business outfits with name tags. Everyone my family member and I have come in contact with has been extremely personable, professional and caring. The home is extremely clean with no "facility" odor. Pets are allowed and the food is quite good with a nicely varied menu. It's simply a wonderful place and I have piece of mind knowing my family member has assistance whenever needed.

Understaffed

I just think that they need more staffing. Pretty much they have two people looking over eighteen residents, and I think that is expecting too much of the staff. They just need to spend more time with the residents.

I thought they did a great job!

My loved one stayed here briefly for a respite stay, and I thought they did a great job! Everyone was very friendly, and the facility itself is pleasant and clean. It's a wonderful place, and was one of the options we considered when we were looking for a full time residence for her!