The Palms at O'Neil - McKeesport, PA

A Success Story

My relative left home "kicking and screaming." She didn't want to leave, but it was time. It took under three weeks for her to acclimate and call The Palms her new home. She is now thriving thanks to the wonderful care, patient and kind staff, and an understanding staff and administration.

Please pick somewhere else to place your loved ones!

I have given this facility one star because the system forces you to pick at least one.
This facility is unsafe! There are not enough aids per patients; doctor (72 yrs old) rounds once a week unless something else holds him up. One nurse there on a limited basis (couple of days a week, couple of hours) for all residents. Our loved one was admitted on a Tuesday and was still in the same clothes on Sunday. Slept in them and lived in them each day. He was not showered or shaved for those six days. When we spoke with someone, they said he was not on their schedule yet as he was new. He had been there six days already. If we had not spoken up, I don't know when he would have been placed on a showering schedule (twice a week is when the residents are showered). We were told he was now on the schedule and they assured us he would get a shower and shave that day. He did but only because we took it upon ourselves to do so.
They tell you they check on the residents every two hours but when we were there, the aids that had showed up to work were responsible for 25+ residents.
Residents are moved to the cafeteria no later than 15 minutes before meal time is supposed to be served. We waited an hour with 40+ residents seated at the tables doing nothing but waiting for their meal. An hour! Our loved one was still sitting in the lobby where he had been left after breakfast until time to escort him in to the cafeteria for lunch - several hours.
Unacceptable and unsafe. I am sure there were many violations for the ratio of staff to residents and level of care. If there had been a fire or other disaster, the staff would not have been sufficient to evacuate residents safely.
Even though the facility was extremely understaffed, I did not see the manager working to assist any of her staff or the residents while we were there.

exercise classes and different crafts

Great facility. They offer different activities such as exercise classes and different crafts. The staff is doing a great job here. Their very friendly and caring for the residents. The rooms are very clean and the food is good.

raves about how great it is there

The Palm at O'Neil is going well. She really likes it there. They do an excellent job. She raves about how great it is there. They keep the residents busy. There are crafts, excursions, exercise classes. People come in with their dogs and the residents really enjoy that. She is adjusting really well. It's very is a very bright and colorful place. The staff is very cheery there. The value will be better if we get VA assistance. Overall I am very pleased.

The best place for my dad and very affordable.

From the very first day, they took special care taking care of my dad. They reviewed his diet, habits, his interests and his mobility. His activity is constantly reviewed along with his eating and mental state. Any questions from the family are quickly answered by phone and I am a part of his care team. Friendly and helpful staff. Clean rooms, uncluttered hallways. A spacious dining room serving 3 meals per day and available snacks and drinks if wanted. I couldn't have found a better place for the price. Excellent care!

Great except for one thing....

Facility is older but very clean. Housekeeping is great. Admin staff, mangement, and nurse are wonderful. Very attentive and kind with great follow through. Biggest con is the food. It is horrible. I can not understand how what they produce is considered healthy and nutritious. Very sub par. For this alone they deserve one star but the staff and Admin raise it up. If your loved one likes food and enjoys a good healthy meal, seriously re-connect this facility.

Great Place at a Great Price

I have had two family members live here. The staff has been wonderfully attentive to both of them. The admissions person has been very helpful in obtaining much needed VA financial benefits and has been very responsive ongoing. Any questions or concerns I have had has always taken care of. My interactions with staff have been pleasant, and they have always been helpful in whatever I may ask of them. I would recommend this facility to anyone. I have seen the administrator and owners on site daily when I visit, so those who say they can not get a hold of them must not have visited much. I have been in the home at various times of the day and have had no issues with either of my relatives living there.

Don't put you loved one here. No-one cares.

I toured this facility after my father had a stroke and could no longer live at home. Finances were a factor and we put him on the third floor which was a mistake. I was told that there were aids available at any time on each floor but whenever my father needed help there was no-one on his floor. Also, he had to get to the elevator himself is he wanted meals, and more importantly, although he was not incontinent, the male aid at night put a diaper on him and told him to just go in the diaper (so he wouldn't have to help him in the middle of the night). They also gave my father a portable potty chair and when I visited his room, it was full of feces and urine for at least one day. The smell of his room burned your eyes! I was told that he was checked on every two hours, but after seeing that potty chair, I had to search for help. The two young aids that I found were brought into his room and one of them ran out after seeing the potty chair full of excrement and announced that she was going to throw up!! Both aids said that they didn't know how to clean the portable potty, so another aid was brought in who cleaned it out in his BATHROOM SINK. No bleach, no Lysol, Nothing. Also, he had ants in his room and we were told that they couldn't help it cause they had no insect killers on the premises. After five days in that place, we took my father out of there. You will not get good care, only lip service of how good they are. The owner claims he is always available, but when you call his cell phone, it goes straight in his voice mail which is FULL. Awful place.

There Personal Care Aides don't change there gloves after patient contact. I watched the aide and med tech change 5 people with the same pair of gloves on. Then, when they were lifting the patients from the hoyer lift. They would leave the slide under them which causes residents to break down meaning bed sore or ulcers. And there is never a Rn or Lpn there 24/7. They're only there Mon- Fri 8-4 or 9-5. After that you can forget about talking to anyone in that office. And last but not least to many shady employees.

A good community, but there is some room for improvement.

The residents need to go in one or two small elevators to do anything so they are stuck waiting for the elevators. I ate there and I thought it was pretty good, she hates it. There aren't a lot of options, and not a lot of variety. They are very friendly and it has a clean smell and is in a nice location for us, it's in a good community for her. It definitely competes well with some of the higher end communities.

I like that it was family owned, and the size of it. It wasn't too big.

The maintenance, can be a challenge, I have been asking for some things to be done and they still haven't been done, since we moved in. I like that it was family owned, and the size of it. It wasn't too big. They were the best deal, for what you get for your money.

A nice place overall

This is a nice looking community, it is well kept, and the owner does a great job with the decor. The decorations they had up for the holidays were beautiful! The staff here are all very friendly, and they are great about communicating with families. The owner has no problems giving out his personal cell phone number, and responds quickly to any issues or questions. I was also pleased with how flexible they were when it came to billing, they were more than happy to work with us while we got our VA funding worked out.
There are a few areas I feel like they could improve on, however. I'd like to see more variety in the activity schedule, it's very routine and doesn't really seem catered to the residents. I'd also like to see a few more staff on site during the weekends.

Mom has found a good place.

The staff is very friendly, helpful, knowledgeable, and responsive. Prices are very reasonable for semi-private living assistance. I visited other Assisted living facilities that were 50% more expensive than the PALMS and had about the same quality of care. This place is very clean and there are lots of activities for residences of all capabilities. Security is excellent, and there many in-house amenities.

I contacted and toured this...

I contacted and toured this facility. Very nice. A possible good fit for my father. A few hundred per month more than Hamilton Hills, but well worth it.

Dark, Needs Upgrading

I toured The Palms at O'Neil and it wasn't bad...it was just dark and it needed some upgrading. For my step mom who has alzheimer's, she likes bright places and this was dark.

Private rooms

We chose The Palms because they offered a better option for our situation. Our loved one wanted a private room and we wanted a less expensive alternative, well The Palms offered us both. They were less expensive then our pervious location and our loved one still got a private room. We did have a small issue with the staff but once we brought it up they fixed the issue right away. It is located in a more commercial area, so it provides plenty of places to shop and go within a mile radius. We are very please with The Palms and would recommend it to anyone.

Priced right for 3 levels of private ...

Priced right for 3 levels of private rooms. Activities room small for number of residents. location far. Some smell of urine when passing some of the rooms. No nurse on staff 24/7. Doctor only visits every other weekend. Med Tech dispense meds if needed.

The Palms at O’Neil is owned and operated by the Anlauf Family. It is designed to meet the changing needs of seniors who want to remain independent, but need a little extra assistance in their daily routines. Our three-story residence promotes a resort-like,comfortable, relaxing, and supportive lifestyle with a variety of planned activities, outings, and new companionship.

Our strong family values are key in providing a healthy dignified environment, while receiving the quality care expected at an affordable price.