Independence Court of Monroeville - Monroeville, PA

A good place for a loved one

My 90 year old widowed mother wanted to stay in her own house until the very last minute despite the efforts of the family. And then chaos happened, all the medical problems became active at the same time. Being at home was no longer an option.

The family visited four or five facilities. We choose Independence Court for a number of reasons:
1. It was the only facility that had 24X7 RN on duty.
2. Their staff tenure is many times longer than the other places we visited. The day I visited, a cake was in the break room for a 20 year employee. The staff seems happy.
3. The variety of planned activities was good.
4. They encourage the residents to get out of their rooms. The residents seem to be happy despite a bad situation.
5. The call button displays in the halls were not always on. They seem to have enough staff.

My mother is now deceased but her quality of life was good considering circumstance. Before you commit to a facility, I encourage you to take a tour. Plus, sit in various locations within the building a just observe for a few minutes: the dining hall, activity rooms, outside the nursing station, common areas and especially the hallways.

Unprofessional Staff

Family members lived at Independence Court in Monroeville and we were all very dissatisfied with many things, but most of all the entire lack of communication with us and amoung other staff members of their own. Very unfriendly and unprofessional staff!! Would not recommend it to others.

Staff is caring

My brother has settled in well here and the staff has been very caring and they encourage him to be a part of the different amenities they offer here. He likes his room and the courtyard where he can go and sit outside. He does seem to enjoy the food and there are options on the menu for him to choose from if he does not want what they are serving in the dining room. I would recommend setting up a tour of this community.

Jill Record

Thank you for your review. We appreciate the feedback.

This has been the best move and care for my brother

I am so very glad that we were able to move my brother here as his care now is so much better, the staff is very accommodating and they are working with his physical therapist to help get his mobility back and out of the wheel chair following his injuries. I am starting to see some great changes in his attitude too. My brother likes going to the dining area and he even likes the food.

Jill Record

Thank you for your review. We appreciate the feedback.

Not overly impressed with this facility!!!!

Do not leave any messages because no one will return your calls. Staff is friendly but this is the first go around for me with assisted living nurses. I was told a couple lies when I checked my mother I'm and not overly happy with the people that run this facility.

There is a Good Atmosphere

My mother-in-law seems to be doing okay. The care is pretty good. The food is good. The staff do the best they can. She plays bingo and has church services. There is plenty of activities to choose from. It is local and the best place for now.

An ok community

Mom lived at this community for a short respite care. The physical therapy staff were really good. We have been having some issues with the billing department. The food was good and they did offer daily activities. We had some small issues with mom's wardrobe while she was there.

Good Staff

My family member moved to this community from a skilled nursing facility. We feel very comfortable with her move here. Her physical state has greatly improved since being here. It is a nice community with kind people. The staff have been kind, and friendly. There are many activities available for the residents. The food seems to be pretty good as she is eating better here. It is a good fit for her, and her needs. If you've got the money, this is a community I would recommend.

My mother has only been at Independence Court a little over a month and so far it's been a pretty good experience. The only thing I can say was a problem is the fact I had to call several times before I got a call back. Other than that, things are fine with my mother.

Caring for My Mother and Her Needs Very Well

So far my mother respite stay experience is going pretty well here at this community. She is here to recover from some accidents she had. The staff is very good, they are caring for her very well. The communication between the staff and myself is very good. They have a nice variety of activities for the residents to choose from. One issue my mother has had, is that when she receives her food it isn't as hot as she would like it. I know she is safe. She has three help buttons in her room. I would recommend this community, it has been a good experience so far.

Jeanni Watson

Thank you for the positive feedback. We are proud of our nearly 30 years of service to Monroeville and the surrounding communities. Although we strive for perfection, there is always room for improvement. I have communicated your concern to food service so they may correct this issue. Thank you once again.

Independence Court of Monroeville is a recommendable community!!!

Mom is fitting in nicely at this community. She is taking advantage of the amenities offered. The building is a little dated but they keep it clean and may be getting ready to do some updates. The staff are friendly, professional and cleanly dressed. I have not tried it but mom said the food is pretty good.

Jeanni Watson

Thank you for you response. You are correct. We are beginning a new phase of renovations. As I write this reply, the painters are working to finish the dining room and living room walls in a beautiful shade to match our new hardwood flooring. We appreciate your feedback.

happy in garden city

this was the first time my mother was at independence court. she is 93. the morning we were taking her there she did not want to go. she was there for 16 days. when we got back to pick her up (we did call to check on her) she said she had a great time food was great & plenty. people that work were all very friendly & caring. Jeanni was the best we could ask for. we will take her back when we need a vacation again. my mother lives with us & we wanted some place to take care of her as we do & they did a great job

Jeanni Watson

Thanks Ralph. We look forward to your Mom joining us again in the near future. Happy Holidays!

lack of communication

My mom did not do many activities there. My mom passed away after being there for a week. We paid a deposit of $1500 and I wrote them and asked about refunding me and they have failed to respond.

Jeanni Watson

I am so sorry you have had difficulty getting resolution to this important issue. Please call me directly, Jeanni Watson, #[removed] x332, and I will personally get you the help you need.

Very active operation. Plenty of activity with everyone included. The staff interact with the residents as one big happy family. Jeanni is the straw that stirs the drink. Over 27 years experience in the business really shows in the way the facility is run. Everyone is happy and smiling and loved. Recommend this facility. Oh yes, most definitely!!!!

Jeanni Watson

Thank you for the wonderful comments. Many of the employees have been with us for years & years. The compassion and continuity of staff shows in the excellent care we provide to all of our residents and families. We appreciate you entrusting us with your loved one.

It's Great

The Independence Court of Monroeville is great. They do such a good job. It is a nice community. It's a very clean facility. The staff has been very kind. Overall, it has been a great experience.

Jeanni Watson

We are so happy to hear the your family has had a great experience. It is our mission to provide the highest quality care & compassion to all of our residents and their families. Thank-you.

Nice place

Overall I thought they did a good job here. It was a nice looking facility, and the staff were caring and friendly. They provided a good amount of care for an assisted living community, and did a good job taking care of my loved one.

Jeanni Watson

Thank you for allowing us to assist with the care of your loved one. We take pride in our caring staff and always look for the best means to take care of each and every resident's individual needs.

My Mom is finally safe & happy!

Independence Court is in Monroeville in PA. Their sign says they got the 2013 gold medal from the local paper as the Best Assisted Living. I think that they deserve every bit of that Gold medal. When you walk in the door, the first thing that hits you is the smile on the receptionist face. All of the ones who work there are really sweet & helpful. These people who live there too have made her feel so good and welcome. She wasn't taking her pills right & wasn't eating. My Mom didn't want to go anywhere but stay home. Other places like theirs only have highschool kids taking care of the people and giving them there pills. This place has nurses all day long. They said she probably will never have to go to a nursing home. At first my Mom said she didn't want to do anything. The other people who live there have got her to go with them out to eat and out to Kmart. The food is great so she's eating. She said she wished she would have met them all before now. It kind of looks like a really nice hotel in the rooms. Everything smells clean and new. My mom is happy and we are happy.

Jeanni Watson

Thank you so much. I had to share this review with the entire staff. As you know, a residence like ours doesn't operate with just one person. We're proud of all of our dedicated team of professionals. No matter the duty listed on their nametag, each and every staff member is here to help our residents, the resident families., and their co-workers...no matter what the task to be performed. From nursing, to activities, to housekeeping, all of our staff are highly skilled and continuously trained to make all residents feel happy and safe. Thanks again for taking the time to let us know how we're doing.

They are wonderful.

They are wonderful. I would say, make very clear the level of need, because if there is an issue with not enough staffing or anything, then you have no recourse. I hear complaints and I know people have problems nothing is perfect so make sure it is the right fit for you. She can vocalize her needs so it's great for her. I like this facility, She loved the food at first but now she says it's bad but when I addressed it is getting bettter. There is some care that exceeds some of my expectations, the activities people are wonderful!! People should see what they are doing and do the same, the head of activities and her assistant, Sharon and Micki, they get 20 stars, they are just awesome!! They go to the casino and the grocery store, and the dollar store, and they are wonderful. The cleanliness was one of the most important parts to me and they are right on it! The nursing staff is good but they are understaffed. Once I got her up there and decided this is where she was going to stay I felt like a big weight was lifted off my shoulders, because the responsibility of her care was now shared, if I get a call in the middle of the night I don't have to worry because someone is right on it. I think people don't listen to the residents very much. They have some good administrative people there that have to work through a lot of red tape, but there is no administrative staff on duty on the weekends, the headnurse and the front desk girl is it. All in all I would reccommend this place. I like them very much, everyone needs improvement but I like them. I think they do a wonderful service fot these people.

Jeanni Watson

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your feedback. It is our highest priority to listen to the needs of our residents, their families, and each of our staff members. Training classes are mandated each month so that all staff know what is expected of them. Our resident Food Committee is working hand-in-hand with the Administration to improve the taste, timeliness, and variety of our menus. But, as I always say, pleasing 80 "grandmas" in the house, at the same time, is a real challenge!
Most of all, thank you for recognizing the maintenance, housekeeping, and especially, the activity staff. They all work long and hard to please the residents they serve. We are very proud of them all.

small private w/no kitchenette. Bathr...

small private w/no kitchenette. Bathrooms totally bared, toilet, shower, some walls. Shower has permanent seat.Clean rooms, dining area, several tv rooms, nice activity room.

Jeanni Watson

With our wide variety of room sizes and styles, we strive to provide a welcoming and accommodating living space for every resident. Our common areas including our private dining spaces, recreation rooms, and outdoor activity spaces combine to allow our residents to live the life they expect and enjoy.