Depressing

I had the pleasure of visiting residents at this facility. Unfortunately I found the apartment to be dusty when it was just cleaned within the past 4 days. Also noted in the stairwells there are no cameras so if some one fall it could be a long wait till they are found!!! That's scary!! And not having food available on Sunday evening is worrisome!!! All in all the place looks like public housing, the staff needs to smile more and step up to the plate!

Transplanted Mew Yorker Takes Root in West Hartford

“With its charming, home-like, new decor and vastly improved food you’d hardly know the McAuley I moved into four and half years ago. Beautifully designed apartments, wonderful, caring community of peer group residents and ideal location, with transportation provided five days a week (medical visits are free), it’s like a brand new facility. I’ve even stopped trying to win the lottery so I could move back to New York.

They only care about money

My uncle has been there for the past three years. At first, it was fine because he was in an independent living situation, but as time went on, he developed dementia. I recently discovered that he has been living without any toilet paper for about 3 weeks because the McAuley "does not supply toilet paper or any other daily living necessities" to their residents.

His medical condition is rapidly declining, but they are holding him to a "4 month notice to vacate agreement" that he signed when he entered The McAuley. Shameful!!!

Disappointing food.

My mother lives here and is mostly happy, but continues to complain about the inferior food. This seems to be the main topic of discussion from most of the residents according to her.

Very Honest, Helpful Staff Member

I was in a unique situation. I was looking for my parents who have two levels of competence but wanted to live in the same place. Here they would have had to be in two different rooms and we wanted them to be together.

The woman who gave me a tour was very helpful in the sense that she told us this was not the right place for us. She was very honest and said just go with another place. If you found a place where they can stay together, go there. I was impressed with her honesty. She was wonderful.

Located on a 40-acre campus in West Hartford, CT adjacent to Saint Joseph College, The McAuley features beautifully landscaped grounds and lovely views of Avon Mountain. Best of all, when you live at The McAuley, you're just minutes away from the area's most popular attractions -- the Wadsworth Atheneum, Elizabeth Park, and the exquisite dining/shopping/cultural districts of Blue Back Square, Park Road, Bishops Corner and Corbins Corner.

Most importantly, The McAuley offers the lifestyle and life care you would expect from one of Connecticut's finest retirement communities. Whether you live independently or require personal care services, our colleagues at The McAuley will be attentive to your individual needs.