The Highlands - Topsham, ME

Mom loved the highlands for 12 1/2 years!

My mom lived in the Maine Lodge for ten years and then Cadigan Assisted Living for 2 1/2 years. She loved it! It was an active, interesting place with terrific caregivers who loved her and her family! I couldn't have felt better about her years there and when she passed... she was in her apt. at Cadigan not in a nursing home! Highly recommend this facility!

Tour for care for mom

We toured this community for the care for my mom. The staff was nice and able to see a lot of the community. We did like that idea of them having a swimming pool indoors. The community was clean and seemed to have a nice environment. We would recommend this community for the care of a loved one. for the care and value.

The highlands was okay. However what I did not like about it is that 2 of the 3 CNA or careworkers were on dinner break at the same time. The third careworker was working with other patients and there was a patient in distress with no one to help them. This turned me off completely. This will not be a place for my Dad and I can not trust someone to be around if he is in crisis.

Nice place, overall

The Highlands is a very nice place, overall! They are quite expensive, but I feel that my loved one is safe and well looked after here. The staff is very friendly and professional, and I like that the head of their memory care unit is open to suggestions regarding the care they offer. They're just very responsive and accommodating in general. The facility is going through some administrative changes, however, and I think that some of their processes are suffering. I'd like to see them have a more reliable and detailed system for documenting problems that occur, and their inter-staff communication could use some improvement, instructions don't seem to get passed between shifts reliably. But overall it is a nice place, and they are taking good care of my loved one!

The Highlands is located in the historic district of Topsham, next door to Brunswick and Bowdoin College, and 25 miles from Portland, Maine's largest city.

The Highlands offers a continuum of care in magnificent natural setting, covering 75 acres complete with meandering walking trails. Residents enjoy the best of both worlds, with beautiful rural surroundings and the advantages of all the cultural and social offerings in the area.

The Estates are cooperatively owned single duplex homes, each custom-built to the individual owners' tastes.

The Maine Lodge offers spacious one- and two-bedroom rental apartments for independent living.

Cadian Lodge for assisted living has private apartments with the services and assistance for all activities of daily living just outside the resident's door.
In our Governor King Apartments, we offer a memory loss program, with 24 private apartments for residents with Alzheimer's Disease or related dementias. A warm and caring environment is provided for residents, by licensed staff around the clock.
The Highlands offers its residents peace of mind and security, knowing that someone else is handling the burdens of maintenance, housework and more, giving residents the freedom and opportunity to pursue life's many abundant possibillities.