The Gardens at Barry Road - Kansas City, MO

The Gardens is very nice and seems to be well-run. I was impressed that most of the staff members we met had been there for 10 or more years. They only offer assisted living, so their prices are considerably higher than places that offer independent living. My mom is currently able to do most things for herself, so we felt like independent living was more suitable for her.

A visit

The people I met during my tour were friendly. The community was nice looking. This community does allow pets and they seem to offer some nice amenities. This community was just a little farther away than what we were looking for.

An ok community

I am not impressed with the memory care area of this community. Mom does not seem to receive the same care as she did in the assisted living area. They are not following her medication schedule and she has had to ask for her medication. They offer daily activities and the community is clean. Mom does not like the food, however I have eaten there and I liked it. This community is a little expensive.

Nice staff, beautiful atmosphere. Clients seemed happy and easy with staff. Rooms were nicely appointed. Enjoyed security features for memory care.

Wonderful people

I think that the thing that stands out the best is the staff. They are outstanding. They are very friendly and attend to my mother-in-law's needs.We are very happy with the move here.

Very Nice Tour

I had a good tour of this facility. Everything went well. The community looked well-kept, and everything was clean. The staff I met was kind, and courteous. It was a nice experience, everyone was very kind too my family, and myself. We found a community that was closer to us, but our tour of this community went well.

A perfect fit.

The entire staff at this community are easy to get along with and seem to like their job. They have a low turnover rate. The caregivers are encouraging. The food is great and they do a great job with activities. This is one of the cleanest communities I have seen. This is a not for profit community. Any profit they may receive is used towards mission trips overseas.

We Were Delighted With The Attentiveness

The community is a great place and has fantastic staff who provide care for the residents. Although it cost greatly, it has been worth it. I like how excellent and friendly every staff has been with grasping Alzheimer, we liked the community for my mom. She was cared for very well and she loved it.

This is a lovely, clean facility with many housing and care options. We especially liked that each meal is served in a 2-hour window of time. Seems a good environment for our 90+ parents.

Real happy with it!!

The staff are kind, friendly and gentle. The food is good, healthy and mom has no complaints. They offer daily activities and mom is getting out of her room more often. The community is very clean. It is a good place for the price and I would recommend it.

Long Term Staff

This community I feel had a strong and well put together staff. The people were knowledgeable and well trained at what they do. Also I liked that the rooms were close to the activities so that my loved one could participate. The dining area was also very nice.

Dad Has Compassionate Staff

My dad is doing fine with everything that is provided. The community is kept clean and the meals are good. He would prefer better selections for diabetic choices. This would improve the care for him. There are no problems with the staff and activities. The thing he likes the best is the staff are very good and caring people. The residents are nice too.

Dad loved the staff at The Gardens at Barry Road!

My dad stayed at The Gardens (not to be confused with Village Gardens just down the street) for a week in their respite furnished room while I was away on a trip. Most important to my dad is the friendliness of the staff and the entire crew was absolutely outstanding with everyone seeming to know my dad (and he knew them) by the end of his short stay. This facility will be on our list if/when we choose a permanent facility for him. I rated activities five stars because there was not an option to opt out. I don't believe he participated in those, however. One final note - he was not impressed with the food. I believe it was acceptable but just not great. Food will be an important consideration for him. Overall, great place and great people (both residents and staff).

The tour and later evaluation went well. My father was admitted while the admissions director was out and he was a bit lost his first week, with no real information on activities, etc. I felt just kind of left to his own devices to find things out or know how it all worked. He is adjusting now.

The facility is very clean and most of the staff is quite friendly. The food is delicious, the rooms are kept clean and I am just hoping for a good experience for him!

The staff are great at this community!!!

My sister in law is doing just great at The Gardens. She likes to participate in music activities. I have tried the food and I think it is outstanding. The community is very clean and a healthy environment. I would recommend this community.

The Gardens at Barry Road - A Good Place for Mom

My mother is 90 years old and had reached the point that she needed more care than could be provided in her home. After months of research (A Place for Mom was a tremendous resource!), I chose The Gardens at Barry Road for several reasons. It is very close to all our family, the staff is extremely helpful and friendly and most have been there for many years, which says a lot to me, and during my research I learned of several people I know who had relatives or friends there at one time or another and all of them spoke very highly of The Gardens. There have been a few glitches with scheduling some personal care services, but overall a very positive experience. My mother was not in favor of the move (to be expected), but she has settled in very well, has made friends, and is doing extremely well in her new home.

Big letdown

We had a very disappointing experience with The Gardens at Barry Road. They were one of the facilities we visited while looking into memory care options for our loved one. When we visited they were very encouraging and said that they were completely willing to see if things would work out for our loved one at their facility. We scheduled an assessment with them, but when the day of the assessment came they called us and told us that they refused to do the assessment since my loved one was beyond the sort of care they could provide. This was a huge letdown for us, we wanted to get assessments at a few different facilities and we were counting on them to be one of them. Based on our experience I would not recommend them, they did not seem professional or reliable.

Seemed like a nice place!

We toured this community while looking into care options for a loved one. The Gardens was a very nice looking assisted living community! The facility itself was clean and well kept, and the staff we met all seemed friendly. They are definitely worth a look if you're searching for options in the area!

They are doing okay. We are not overly impressed.

They are doing okay. We are not overly impressed. The place is okay, but I am not pleased with what we are being told, the communication isn't consistent. There have been billing issues, something on the administrative end isn't right.

The Gardens “at Barry Road” is the Northland’s newest retirement community. The Gardens is a 79-apartment unit complex offering 4 styles to choose from ranging from 295 to 595 square feet. The architectural style of this building is unique in that it opens into a beautiful courtyard in the center with views of wooded areas and hills. Make this community your lifestyle choice! We will not only meet your expectations, we will exceed them with our exceptional service and our motto, “Care with a Gentle Touch”. These words describe the loving service The Gardens “at Barry Road” provides everyday for our growing number of residents. The Gardens is committed respected and nurtured. The Gardens “at Barry Road” offers vaulted ceilings, spacious walk-in-closets, natural light, wrap-around decks, and a design which reflects a carefree retirement lifestyle. Our assisted living community is staffed 24-hours a day. Residents will feel secure knowing that we provide a locked security system, smoke and fire alarms and a 24-hour emergency call system. Residents are encouraged to remain as independent as possible while receiving the care and assistance that they may needs and richly deserve. Many activities and special events are offered during the week, promoting socialization and interaction with others. Experience being in an upscale assisted living community free of the everyday hassle of preparing breakfast, lunch and dinner. Experience fine dining in our All-American style restaurant. At The Gardens, you will experience this active lifestyle choice ensuring that freedom with assistance is only a step away. We encourage you to stop by of call to arrange a tour with one of our friendly staff members.