The Forum at Desert Harbor - Peoria, AZ

Friendship and beauty at the Forum

I was fortunate to have lived at the Forum for 3 years. In which time I came to love it. The people to me are the most important part. I made some very good friends and still am in contact with some. I have moved to be closer to my daughter.
I had a lovely 2 bedroom, 2 bath and the housekeeping staff was very efficient and friendly. I keep coming back to that term as it applies all down the line.
I enjoyed the entertainments and they are varied. The beautiful living room with the grand piano was the setting for some of these.
The way the Forum is set up is very conducive to forming friendships....being all in one building for Retirement.
I could go on and on because this was my HOME.
The dining room and the staff are all part of this atmosphere.
I cannot forget to mention the lakes. I have never seen anything comparible. At Christmas when the boats and homes are decorated I guarantee you have not seen anything as lovely.

The decor was very pleasant and welcoming. not sterile looking even in nursing unit. Felt welcome. Rooms large enough to not feel like a small bedroom. no smells. Toured [Date removed]

Very, very nice staff but they are shorthanded

Everybody here is very, very nice and the caregivers were good at helping me when I needed it. I cannot begin to express how truly great people they are and seem to be very happy working here. Not once did I hear anyone complain. They do offer a lot of activities including bingo, live entertainment like speakers or singers, bible study, and mass. However, I had asked for a list of the schedule but no one ever seemed to have one. They only had a board with the calendar in the entrance way so it was hard to plan my day around the activities. The other thing I didn’t like so much is the staff seemed to be shorthanded. They didn’t have enough time to help you a lot and they were rushing from one room to another.

Food is phenomenal!

I toured this facility while helping find a place for my friend. This community is wonderful and the food is absolutely phenomenal. Every month all of the residents and the chefs have a meeting about the food. They accept recipes and tips on what they should serve or do differently. Her room has a patio and it overlooks the canal. They even have a pool for all year swimming and terrific live entertainment. I would recommend this community to other families.

I like it here

The staff is very accommodating and nice. They will come in weekly and clean and will do your laundry too. You get a continental breakfast and then you can have lunch or dinner and the food is good with lots of variety other than the daily meal. The grounds are nice its by a lake and it has walking paths. I would recommend people go on a tour before making a decision.

My mom is more like herself here

This place is great and my mom loves it here. Before she went in, she was trying to live on her own and was isolated a lot because she couldn’t get out of the house or do any kind of activities and have interaction with people. But now that she’s here, she’s socializing a lot more, having meals with people, and really getting to know everyone. The staff has been great. Anytime she has questions or needs to speak to someone, there’s someone there that will talk with her. They help bring her lunch and dinner and the chef will come down to speak to everyone during each meal to gather feedback about what they’d prefer and how everything tastes. They provide all kinds of activities like cards, movies, crafts, they’ll take them out to shows, and there’s even a breakfast meet and greet that they do whenever there are new people so you can meet all of them. They do that every Thursday. The building is right across the street from 2 of her doctors and right down the street from another. She’s even started giggling about things, she’s so happy here. What we both love is that if her health declines or anything like that, because they offer assisted living as well, she’ll be able to stay with her friends and the people that she’s meeting. And everything is included! Except cell phone and internet, those are extra. Every resident that I’ve met that’s living there is extremely happy. I would absolutely recommend them.

Nice Staff!!

My mother has recently made the move into this community and so far I am pleased with how things have been going for her. The staff have been very helpful with the transition and we are pleased with the care she has been receiving. She has had no complaints about the meals and is enjoying a few of the activities they have to offer the residents.

On the Tour With Them

I went to see and tour the community for my friends. In my experience they were all courteous and polite. I believe the meals were good from what I had tasted. I was told there were incentives for moving in but the choice was up to my friends and they felt this was not the best fit.

Very Happy With This Community

We toured several communities in the area and this one impressed us. Mom is doing very well here she really likes it. They offer quite a few activities on campus so she is keeping very busy they offer off site trips but she tends not to go on those. I haven't heard any complaints from her about the food so tend to think she ls enjoying the food. The staff is very nice and accommodating here.

[Removed] gave us a wonderful tour and answered all our questions. The Forum was beautiful, very clean and easy to get around. Overall the place was 5 star.

Seems nice

I know someone that lives here and they say they like it. The people are nice. They seem to offer some nice activities and amenities. They offer skilled nursing and have a home care agency on site. This community was just a little too expensive.

We love it!

My husband and I are adjusting well since our move into this community. The food here is super good. It's like going to a gourmet restaurant. They have fresh salads and delicious desserts. We have not had a chance to join many activities, but we hear good things about them. We have light housekeeping for our apartment, they also wash and change our sheets and towels. I never knew how much of a difference that could make. It has been a very good experience for us and we are happy with our choice.

My mother's great care

I am happy with the care for this community for my mom . The staff are very nice and attentive. She liked the food here and they are very good. They do offer activies but not alot. This community has alot to offer for care. The layout was very nice. I feel good know my mom is in good care and I recommend the care and value to other families.

A Shock!

The Forum at Desert Harbor was a beautiful place, but when we asked about the assisted living it was a different story. The assisted living was in a separate small building that seemed like it wasn't even part of the community. It looked like it was on lock down. I didn't even want to go in there.

Five Star Reviews

Thank you for your feedback, as much as we respect your opinion, we would love to invite you back and see if we change it. We invite you to join us for lunch at the community, please schedule a tour by visiting our website: [removed] or calling the community directly. We believe there is much to be discovered at The Forum at Desert Harbor and we will do everything we can to showcase it properly this time.

Just a few things out of place!

They did not tell us the truth about the kitchen. They told us that there is fresh fruit and food and there is not. The cook needs to learn how to cook good food. We try not to talk about it because it is pointless and others have no other choice. The reason we pick this community was because they provide transportation and because they had a lot of outings and singing which we really enjoy. They also said that they were remodeling the laundry room and that has not been done.

Five Star Reviews

I am the Executive Director and I am sincerely interested in your comments. First, let me thank you for your compliments regarding our recreation program and transportation. We take food and the enjoyment of food seriously. To determine which menu choices are successful and which are not we have monthly food committee meetings with our Director of Food & Dining as well as comment cards on the tables. Please participate in these opportunities to voice your opinions and preferences, and let me extend an invitation for you to dine with our Food & Dining Director so we can hear your suggestions first hand. Kelly Bojorquez, Executive Director.

My parents are both happy here at this community. They have a nice room and they are comfortable with it. The staff are respectful and easy to talk with. It is a clean community and the meals are good. There are activities available and my parents have tried some.

We liked The Forum!

This community was our second choice. The staff we met seemed nice. The layout was nice. This community was not as bright and big as the community we choose. The food looked good.

Needs renovation

Toured The Forum yesterday and was disappointed to see peeling wallpaper and a bad smell in the hallways. The place is budgeted for a renovation, but Julie didn't know when it would be. The units are being updated as they are vacated, but the public areas are very dated. The community is very large and a resident could end up with a long walk to the dining room and activities areas. Nice setting by a lake.

Concerns In The Beginning, But Things Are Better Now

This is a nice community, and overall they are caring for my mother pretty well. My mother did fall her first week in the community. They did respond to helping her and contacted me quickly, but I do think the fall could have been prevented. The community looks nice and clean. The dining area chairs have wheels on them, and I don't feel that is safe for the residents. Overall they are trying their best and everything is working out pretty well now. I would recommend this community.

My Father Adjusted Very Well To This Community

My father is starting to enjoy his time here at this community, we are pleased with all they have done for us. He is doing very well here. It is a well maintained community, they do a good job with the cleanliness. The staff is good, they have been good to work with. There are activities for him to participate in when he is ready. He loves the meals, he has even gained a few pounds. I know he is receiving great care. This is a community I would recommend.

Anyone taking care of residents?

Try for over 2 hours to reach a staff person to tend to relative in assisted living. Final reached securiry..took 30 minutes to get results. Is there any there taking care of the residents.? The monthly invoice dictates better care.

Five Star Reviews

Tom, here at Five Star Senior Living our residents are always put first, and we strive to deliver best quality care throughout each community. We are always looking for ways to improve. We take your feedback very seriously and if you are willing you can call our anonymous, toll-free Gold Star service line [removed] and voice your concerns in detail.

Calender year

The calender year was full of exciting things for the residents to do. They really care about having activities and events for the residents.

Mom Loves It

It is not easy to convince a 91 year old woman who is used to living on her own that she needed sell her house and consider assisted living arrangements. Thankfully, after we toured The Forum at Desert Harbor, she made up her mind that is where she wanted to be. She loves it there. She told me she should have moved there ten years ago. She loves the attention and friendliness of the staff and most of all she loves the food. I give five stars to The Forum just for the peace of mind knowing that my mom is happy and cared for.

Amazing

I would have to say the Forum was over the top with so many great things to do this Holiday season. It seemed like our calendar was full everyday with many things to choose from. Thank you to the staff that made this year special.

Spiders and worms in apartment

It took a long time after my Mom moved in to finish the upgrades that were promised.

There are now spiders hanging from the ceiling in the living room and worms coming up from the floor in the bedroom. They are going to mitigate it this week but it should have been done prior to Mom moving in as the maintenance guy acknowledges that the unit next door has or had the same issues.

These guys are not on top of their game and slow to respond to problems. For a supposed 5 star retirement community, this is unacceptable.

Five Star Reviews

Thank you taking the time to write a review about The Forum at Desert Harbor. We apologize for the experience you and your loved one had at our community. We would like to spend some time with you to hear your concerns in order to help us improve the quality of care we provide, and to make sure all of your concerns are addressed.

The services so far are excellent. They offer a lot of activities but I'm not sure of how well my parents are involved. I'm getting second hand information from them. I think the facility could be more aggressive and assertive in getting the residents introduced to others and getting them involved in the activities.

very good fit for us

The Forum at Desert Harbor is a very good fit for us. I have nothing but good things to say. I have no complaints. The staff helped us get situated. I appreciate them for honoring any of my moms wishes. It has been a very good experience.

A + facility and services!

The marketing person, with whom I dealt with was just extremely knowledgeable and they were not very pushy at all. They explained everything to me in great details and very well. A + facility and services!

I am happy to say that my experience with The Forum At Desert Harbor has been very positive. The marketing department was very responsive to my moms needs which made the decision to move in very easy. The entire staff has been very accommodating as we made this transition. The food is delicious and the activities available are numerous. The residents are diverse in age and background which makes the community interesting.
Thank you to Debbie Miller, our senior adviser with A Place For Mom who steered me in the direction of The Forum At Desert Harbor.

Friendly, welcoming staff

We're very happy with how things have turned out at The Forum at Desert Harbor! It's a very nice place! The facility itself is well kept and clean, and the staff are all so friendly. They treat everyone here like family, and really make people feel welcome!

Extremely Disappointed

I was extremely disappointed with the level of care that my father received at this facility.

He had a stroke approximately 4 years prior and was coming from a facility that did not have skilled nursing. Upon examining The Forum at Desert Harbor's facilities and reviews I believed it would be a good fit for his needs.

In the month that he was there, they kept my father on a puree diet because they said they could not clear him for solid foods (even though I repeatedly asked them to work with him so they could). We also had to fight for them to get him up from bed for eating and to keep him hydrated.

I asked for them to repeatedly work with him in occupational and physical therapy but they said they could "only do so much" and is state declined while he was there.

Finally, my Mother brought to their attention that he did not appear to be doing well and that "something's wrong" and it took another day before they called 911 and had him transported to Boswell with a urinary tract infection, a fever, and a blood clot in his arm. [removed].

We have since moved him to Plaza del Rio. In the week that he's been there he is sitting up straight, able to communicate, and has been cleared to eat solid foods. HE IS IN A MUCH BETTER PLACE NOW.

Five Star Reviews

I am the Executive Director and I am sincerely interested in speaking to you. We strive to deliver clinical excellence in a warm and nurturing environment. I would like to address your concerns to help put your mind at ease. For meals, we are obligated to follow the physician’s orders. We work with Speech Therapy, our consulting Dietician, our Dietary Technician and the doctor to serve the appropriate diet for each individual’s safety and nutrition. Our dining team goes to a great deal of effort to make the presentation of all special diets appetizing. We know that skin integrity is very important and we do an initial assessment for any skin issues upon admission, weekly Braden Scale assessment and skin checks; as well as checks during showers. Likewise, we track fluid intake with meals and monitor for signs of dehydration. For therapy, we evaluate on an ongoing basis for progress. If progress is not being made, we will recommend that therapy be discontinued and that we do another evaluation after a period of time. Our therapists do specialize in seniors and we are proud of their excellent outcomes. We review the care of our residents with their Primary Care Physicians on a regular basis to be sure that we are doing our best and to address any recommended modifications. The health and comfort of our residents and the satisfaction of our families is very important to us. Please call me or stop by so that we can have a conversation. My door is always open. Thank you for your consideration, Brett Hobbs, Executive Director.

New Experience

Coming from a private home I was not sure this was a good fit for me, the kind staff assured me that I was making a good choice. I had been skeptical, but found the atmosphere to be warm and inviting. I have told many of my friends how much I enjoy being here and have met a number of new friends in a short time, thank you for helping me make a hard decision.

Lovely apartments, traditional decorating throughout. Seems well organized. Large on a lake, walking paths.

Okay

Best aspect is the friendliness of the other residents. That helps one get acquainted and so enjoy this place. Activities are also good, a variety of them. Downside is the cost. and that includes one meal a day. (breakfast is a continental breakfast type). Location is okay, and travel is provided within a 10 miles radius & 24 hour request (some trips are scheduled & one signs up for any one chooses - grocery stores, drugstores, banks & one or two others). Also one does not always get very speedy service for a maintenance request. Still, I would like this place very much if it didn't cost so much.

Five Star Reviews

I am the Executive Director and I thank you for your review. We agree that our residents are what makes us special! They are happy, friendly and welcoming! Our full complement of social and recreational programs is so important to the satisfaction of our residents so I am very pleased that you mentioned activities. I encourage you to contact us so we can discuss pricing and the dining options. Our residents enjoy two meals a day as with the 3rd meal available for a nominal price. We have a variety of floor plans and locations which means that we can typically accommodate a wide range of budgets. I would welcome the opportunity to present these options to you. Many of our residents tell us that our lakeside campus is one of a kind and absolutely priceless! Brett Hobbs, Executive Director

so far so good

So far so good. We tried the food on the first day and it was like cafeteria food to me but my dad enjoys the food and that’s what counts. There are nice outside areas for families and residents to use. There has always been enough parking.

Mixed

It was wonderful. The nursing center upstairs was absolutely horrible.

On the assisted living level I’d give the staff, the cleanliness and activities a five. But up on the second floor it was grossly dirty – people just sat out in the library.

Five Star Reviews

First, let me say that we are so appreciative of your lovely compliments of our Assisted Living neighborhood. I am concerned about your impressions of our Healthcare Center and would like to have the opportunity to discuss them with you. I am the Executive Director and my door is always open. As an Independent Full Service Community, The Forum at Desert Harbor has a continuum of care that includes Independent Living, Assisted Living and a Healthcare Center for Rehabilitation and Skilled Nursing. Each of these neighborhoods is designed for the enjoyment, safety and comfort of our residents and the peace of mind of our families. While we make rounds on a daily basis, both myself and our Maintenance Director will focus additional attention in the Skilled Nursing household with regards to cleanliness. We do have the ice cream parlor and the balcony where residents enjoy reading, visiting and entertaining family members and guests. We have discovered over the years that our residents’ favorite place is the library because of all of the windows and the beautiful view of the lake. Again, I will share your concerns with our Healthcare Recreation Director and the team as we appreciate your feedback and we always strive to deliver the Five Star Experience to all that we serve! I do hope to talk to you personally, so please call me or come by to see me. Thank you for your consideration.

Susan Goad
Executive Director
The Forum at Desert Harbor

Found it expensive for what...

Found it expensive for what it offers. Units shown were very small. Staff very friendly and informative. Food excellent and server very fun and attentive. Although not the first choice, but certainly in the running.

I like it.

I am in the process of moving in. In fact, tonight will be my first overnight. It's way to early for me to offer a meaningful evaluation. I have no complaints so far.

Great Staff, Just Not Enough

The staff here was fantastic! However, they were short staffed for caregivers. They really did work incredibly hard, and they were so kind! They were really nice to my loved one, and tried to joke with her and bring her spirits up! They were really great, but just stretched too thin. Sometimes, the response time would be too long, and we would have to take care of things ourselves. The price was comprable to others, though.

Liked the place but too exp...

Liked the place but too expensive

Love It!

We love it here. The food is excellent here and that's number one for us. The transportation is excellent as well and the rooms, price wise it's very good. They have independent living, assisted living, and home health care. There is therapy and a great exercise room. We just love it.

The Forum at Desert Harbor is located on the shore of Desert Harbor Lake, with beautiful views of the surrounding waterfront. We are just around the corner from picturesque Sun City, and minutes from the 101 Loop access to Phoenix and the airport. We pride ourselves in our continued effort to deliver high-quality service to our residents. We received eleven awards at our annual meeting for outstanding service in multiple categories, as well as six food and beverage awards for the service and quality of food.

The Forum at Desert Harbor is a luxurious resort-style assisted living community along the New River in Peoria, AZ. While it's tempting to stay home and enjoy the amenities that The Forum at Desert Harbor offers, there's plenty to do in Peoria and the surrounding Phoenix area.

City Information

The name Peoria comes from the Illinois town of Peoria. The word ""peoria"" is an Illini word for ""prairie fire."" Settlers from Peoria, IL were recruited by industry baron William John Murphy in the late 1800s to build a community in Arizona. Today Peoria is a major suburb of Phoenix. Find out why Money magazine ranked Peoria as one of its Top 100 Places to Live.

- Walkability Score: 12 out of 100. Residents will be dependent on cars or other transportation

- Average Weather: Peoria, AZ has an average maximum of 98 degrees Fahrenheit in July and minimum of 54 degrees Fahrenheit in December.

- Average Age in Zip Code 85381: 36 years old

- Senior Center: Shadow Mountain Senior Center offers local field trips and activities as well as case management and resources for the elderly

- Veterans' Facilities: VA West Valley Vet Center provides counseling services Monday-Friday and the 2nd Saturday of each month.

Transportation

The Forum at Desert Harbor residents can utilize many transportation options to explore Peoria, AZ and neighboring Phoenix.

- Bus: The nearest bus stop is Thunderbird Rd and Rio Vista Blvd, about a half mile walk from The Forum at Desert Harbor. Bus 138 takes you directly to downtown Peoria

- Senior Services: Peoria has a Dial-a-Ride program for seniors and persons with disabilities. Rides are Monday-Friday from 6 am-6pm and must be reserved by 5 pm the day before. Tickets are $1 per trip or seniors can buy a 20-ride pass for $18.

- Rideshare: Uber and Lift are available in Peoria, AZ

Shopping and Entertainment

The Forum at Desert Harbor residents can enjoy a multitude of dining and entertainment options in the area.

- Clothing Stores: There are two nearby malls North Valley Power Center and Arrowhead Towne Center which offer favorite clothing brands and chain restaurants

- Grocery Stores: Supermarket chain Sprouts Farmers Market is 1.5 miles away for the best local and organic produce

- Restaurants: Seniors can enjoy their favorite chain and fast food restaurants such as In-N-Out, McDonald's and Popeye's, under a mile away. For those who want to splurge, nearby Dillon's KC Barbeque or Arrowhead Grill is a good option.

- Hair Salons: Fantastic Sam's Cut and Color is 4.5 miles away

- Movie Theaters: There are two movie theaters under 3 miles away, the Harkins Theatres Arrowhead 18 and AMC Arrowhead 14. Both offer the latest Hollywood hits

- Libraries: The Foothills Branch Library in nearby Glendale, AZ offers fun activities for the entire community

- Bowling: Join a bowling league at Brunswick Zone Glendale Lanes and choose from 40 lanes or enjoy billiards and arcade games

The Great Outdoors

For Arizona residents who enjoy keeping active, there are beautiful public spaces are available nearby.

- Windrose Park: This nearby park is 7 minutes away from The Forum at Desert Harbor

- New River Trail West: The Desert Harbor neighborhood offers gorgeous walking trails along the river. Walk outside The Forum at Desert Harbor to join the wheelchair-accessible New River Trail West path which merges into the Skunk Creek Trail. Just north of Skunk Creek is the larger Arizona Canal Path

- Peoria Sports Complex: Watch the top teams in baseball conduct spring training at the nearby Peoria Sports Complex Stadium

- Golf: Quail Run Golf Course in nearby Sun City, AZ is a private member's club with a nine-hole course certified by the Audubon Society as a Certified Sanctuary

- Tennis: The recently redesigned Paseo Racquet Center is a USTA award-winning facility that offers daily tennis lessons and regular tennis tournaments

Health and Safety

Prospective Forum at Desert Harbor residents can rest assured that Peoria, AZ offers health and safety provisions for the community.

- Hospital: Banner Boswell Medical Center is the nearest hospital just 6 minutes away.

- Pharmacy: Sun City Pharmacy is a 3-minute drive for all medicinal needs

- Police: The Peoria Police Department is 4.5 miles away. Peoria residents have a 1 in 44 chance of becoming a victim of a crime.

- Fire Station: The Peoria Fire Department is 10 minutes away and ready to serve

Religious Institutions

For devout residents, there are many places to worship in Peoria, AZ and nearby Phoenix.

Christian Religious Institutions in Peoria, AZ :