The Bristal at East Meadow - East Meadow, NY

Bristal at East Meadow is Terrific

My mom has been living in the Bristal at East Meadow for about 8 months now, about half of that time in the assisted living area, and half in the Reflections (memory) unit, as her needs changed (Alzheimers). The staff are terrific. I'm particularly impressed with four things: First, many of the staff members have been working there for years. In the memory unit, several folks have been working there for over a decade. In this industry, that is very telling. The staff are very considerate and kind and warm. I visit almost every day and I have gotten to know a lot of the staff and they are quick to smile and eager to help. Second, the place is spotless and the food options for the residents - my mom always has choices. Third, the activities are great. In the assisted living, there are choices of things to do every day; in the memory unit, the group stays together for each activity in succession and the activities are designed to help the residents maintain cognitive function as much as possible. Lastly, I have to commend the staff of the memory unit for helping me (and I'm sure other family members) understand and cope with my mom's decline, giving me suggestions and becoming like extended family for me. I'm very grateful to the entire team at Bristal / East Meadow because I know my mom is having the best possible care she can have. (My wife and I looked at 7 centers on Long Island before we picked Bristal at East Meadow and we compared them also with the place where my mom was living in North Jersey and two other places in NJ where we had looked for her and one in upstate NY).

ellen antonucci

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your positive thoughts! Our team in East Meadow is so happy to hear how they have impacted you and your family.

A warning when picking the proper place for a loved one

I want to warn families when they are considering the Bristal that the assessments are done poorly as to where and what type of support the resident needs. My mom was assessed by 4 places, and all indicated she should be in Memorycare to be safe and receive the proper medical care, except for the Bristal. The decision was made to put her in Assisted living here, so she could feel like she was home. After 40 days , at least 4 falls and 2 hospitalizations - we removed her before she could no longer function. She is now in a Memorycare facility that she will be safe, have the proper supervision and receive memorycare support. Don't let the smiling faces fool you, they made the 40 days she was here bad for my mom, and bad for the family dealing with a bad decision made on a bad assessment and misinformation.

A wonderful fit for my mother

My 97 year old Mother recently moved into the Bristal. [Removed] and everyone on the staff has made her transition very easy. She is enjoying all the activities, bingo, exercises , crafts, and others. She was feeling very isolated in her previous co-op, but has already made friends here. She loves that she no longer has to cook and the meals are all delicious, with plenty of choices. The entire staff is friendly, helpful and obviously care about the residents. I am so happy we found the Bristal and know my mother will be very happy there.

Friendly Tour

We toured this community for my father in law. Our tour went well, this is a nice community. The staff was kind, friendly. My questions were answered. It was a good experience, and everything went well. Unfortunately the location wasn't what my father in law wanted to be.

Mom Fell Through The Cracks

When my Mom fell and became increasingly isolated, I knew it was time to relocate her from her private home to an assisted living facility. I wanted only the best for Mom, and after touring several assisted living facilities I selected The Bristal in East Meadow based on its good reviews, beautiful building and assurances from their staff that my mother would be well cared for.

Mom was put on a high level of care plus escorts, but The Bristal did not provide that care. Mom stayed in her room for her entire 7 month stay (except when she was forced to go to meals), often lying in bed alone, confused and in pain. I was concerned and asked Sheri [Removed] (Case Manager) and JoAnn [Removed] (Wellness Director) numerous times about what could be done to help my mother, but was only told that "your mother is over 90 and if she wants to lie in her room that's her business, we can't really do anything about that. Your mother is not confused, she's just playing you for sympathy." I became increasingly concerned so tried to discuss Mom's deteriorating condition with the Executive Director Jennifer [Removed], only to learn she had left and had not been replaced so there was no one to speak with. I then left phone messages and emails for Rich [Removed], the Bristal's regional director and Acting Director of the EM Bristal, but my messages were not returned.

It all ended badly when my mother was rushed to the hospital alone where she passed away a few days later. The Bristal did NOT email me when Mom was sent to the hospital, as I had specifically asked. Instead they left me one phone message (that I only got the next morning) claiming that Mom had fallen and was getting routine X-rays at the hospital. I called The Bristal back to ask what happened but was given no useful information, so I rushed to the hospital where I was told by the doctor that Mom was SEVERELY DEHYDRATED, DELIRIOUS, and had SEVERE STOMACH PAIN. Since Mom was confused and her condition had not been caught soon enough, Mom passed away from sepsis while I held her hand. It is too late for my Mom, but I can tell you this: If your loved one is fairly healthy the Bristal is a good choice. But if your loved one becomes ill she may fall through the cracks like my mother did. Think about this when making your choice.

ellen antonucci

We were deeply saddened by the passing of this resident, and our hearts and thoughts go out to her family members. So many people choose The Bristal because of our unparalleled services and care, which lead to so many of the positive reviews. It pains us to see this negative feedback.

The Bristal is a very social place, with activities planned throughout the day, every day. Unfortunately, if a person is intentionally withdrawn and isolated at home, that may not change after a move to an assisted living community. Regardless, our staff tries to encourage residents to participate in these activities, but we never force. As for mealtimes, it is extremely important that residents get proper nutrition, and it is up to us to be sure that those in our care are getting up and around, and eating well.

We are neither a nursing home nor a medical facility at The Bristal. We do our very best to care for the residents in our charge, under the guidelines of the State Department of Health. We have instituted specific protocols to handle such unfortunate incidents, and in this case, they were followed to the letter; proper physicians and family members were promptly notified as required. Yes, there was a staffing change, but it was not related in any way to this circumstance, nor have we come across records of any phone conversations that occurred, or found any notes of unreturned messages.

It is a challenging and difficult reality for family members, and our staff members, when residents begin to decline in health, becoming more prone to illness and, at times, increasingly falling. At The Bristal, we do all in our power to ensure that great care and dignity inform all we do and abound in how we do it when managing these difficult circumstances. We offer every condolence to this family, and we wish them all well.

And, in addition, please consider this: When it comes to making a choice about an assisted living community, we have found, over our more than a decade operating, that every resident and family has unique and diverse needs — distinct expectations, priorities, perspectives and experiences — and that some aspects which prove essential for some families are less important to others. This is why we encourage all families who are considering The Bristal to visit us in person, take a tour, ask their own questions, and see for themselves what makes us such a successful and sought after senior care solution in the communities we are privileged to serve.

BRISTAL EAST MEADOW NY IS HELL ON EARTH!!!

You cannot judge a book by its cover. What I am saying is that architecture is appealing, the intake coordinator upsells what this place has to offer. Truth is this IS PURGATORY!
Expect unlicensed unknolwledgable young adults to dispense medications without a clue to what they are giving your loved one.
Training is offered throughthe Bristal. They haveno certification!!!
The dining experience is not only unhealthy but the residents are treated as a burden. If they order the "famous delicious Bristal chicken" while eating they decide they also want a salad, Eunice is more than happy to put them in their place by telling them "you already got your Entree! You ain't getting no salad now". The sample menu onthe site is the same menu all week, every week. They have no concern for residents diets. Cola is offered or placed on the table regardless of the fact that the resident never drank it at home. Icecream comes with every meal. Expect to see a 30lb weight increase . The first month. Staple foods at this place are burgers, hot dogs and deepfried garbage with a butter sauce. Breakfastnis pancakes or grease soaked eggs with fatty sausage or bacon.
Activities... high speed bingo. Book readings at an incoherent rate. Trips to the dollar store.
Aside from eating there is nothing offered as an acfivity, especially one that is cognitavely stimulating.
Every employee is an Islander who roll their eyes and treat residents like rich white trash. When they say they will do something for your loved one expect that you will spend a frustrating two hours only to find that their shift ended 15 minutes after they spoke with you.
Telephones go through a trunk system and are monitored.
The Director of resident relations, Sherry is a [removed] who mopes around the builing doing seemingly nothing. My parent was physically assaulted by another resident repeatedly but it was repeatedly dismissed.
Valueable possession are stolen and the resident is told "no honey you never had that".
Expect your loved ones to rott at the Bristal of East Meadow!
It is actually more frofitable for them to turnnover the room at a fee of $9700.
Residents are woken by means of a strangers key opening up their door, lights turned on and the door slammed closed. Don't expect a pleasant wake up call or a courtious knock on the door. Bedtime meds are given after dinners which is about 6pm. .
Residents literally roam the halls aimlessly with nothing to do. Expect a rapid decline in cognitive skills and health. There are no activities that enforce them.
The facility is not listed as licensed on the NYS DOH website.
Security is highly questionable as the room numberes are engraved onthe keys and the desk guards sleep at night.
DO NOT SEND YOUR LOVED ONE TO BRISTAL OF EAST MEADOW! They will die neglected and in a short time frame.
Susane Ryan is a con and makes the p,ace sojnd like a luxury resort. FAR FROM IT!
the have an excercise room but the activities coordinator doesn't direct them their. The"movie theatre is a 36" TV playing b rated movies.
Most of all - something serious were to happen, "wellness" are a bunch of lazy uneducated RUDE women who complain that they are busy taking care of another resident and will get to it when they get to it....never happens!
Nassau county police do not intervene as residents are seen as "in a protected environment".
Take my advice if you care for yours... go across the street to the commons or to the summit. Save yourself the pain of knowing your loved one died because some lazy untrained wellness worker was too busy calling the carribean or stuffing their face . They are perpetually on break! There in no time clock to punch in or out.
BRISTAL OF EAST MEADOW WILL MAKE YOUR FAMILY UNHAPPY
THEY WILL CAUSE A RAPID DECLINE IN YOUR LOVED ONES HEALTH!
DONT BE A SUCKER! PUT THEM ELSEWHERE!

ellen antonucci

While The Bristal organization welcomes all legitimate feedback and constructive review, whether in print, in person or online, so that caring families in our community can help each other manage the challenging decisions that come with securing elder care, we do make a concerted effort to respond to each review we see — especially, those to which we take particular and vigorous exception. This is one such review.

While we choose not to engage in specifically addressing the comments alleged in this review, we also choose not to ignore them, for the reasons we’ve just stated. However, in truth, if even a fraction of the irresponsible claims being made here were true (which, of course, they are not), no organization that could allow such negligence to take place would never be allowed to remain in business — let alone succeed for over 15 years, as has The Bristal. That said, we do sense the need to make certain general points clear; again, solely as a policy of leaving no review unanswered.

Every community of The Bristal, East Meadow included, of course, offers robust daily activity programming, designed and developed not just for entertainment, but also to promote healthy mental, physical, emotional and social stimulation and engagement. Staff around the clock at The Brsital are not only experienced, and rigorously trained, but also perform continuing education as the NYS Department of Health mandates — and as The Bristal itself insists on, and to an even higher degree of standards. In addition, each community across the family of The Bristal is vigilantly overseen by Ultimate Care Management. The same is true for our menu, only a small sample of which is represented online for informational purposes. It is a menu, we might add, that is designed and continually updated by licensed nutritionists and dieticians, and all in alignment with NYS Department of Health regulations. Moreover, to ensure culinary variety, there are numerous options to choose from each day in meal and accompanying beverages, and menu changes are also made seasonally. And, in point of fact, residents prefer that dining be served restaurant-style, as it is.

Again, as our priority at The Bristal is always the health and well-being of our residents, as well as exceeding the expectations of their family and friends – and, without question, meeting and often exceeding even the mandates of New York State – our management and leadership team genuinely encourage all legitimate review and feedback on our operations, and we are truly eager to learn and apply any true area of improvement presented to us that we can leverage in order to make The Bristal experience even more exceptional than it continues to prove itself to be.

In addition to the above, we ask you please to consider this: When it comes to making a choice about an assisted living community, we have found over our more than a decade operating that every resident and family has unique and diverse needs — distinct expectations, priorities, perspectives and experiences — and that some aspects which prove essential for some families are less important to others. This is why we encourage all families who are considering The Bristal to visit us in person, take a tour, ask their own questions, and see for themselves what makes us such a successful and sought after senior care solution in the communities we are privileged to serve.

Spacious Rooms

I like the rooms here because I feel like they are very spacious and nice. They are always being cleaned and freshened up. Wonderful staff. Thank you

The Bristal was great.

The Bristal was great. The people were very nice and they worked well with us. It wasn't what our loved one wanted, so we don't have extensive experience, but from the interaction we did have. It's a place I would recommend to others.

ellen antonucci

Thank you - we appreciate your feedback!

Everyone at The Bristal helped make my mom's transition to moving there as smooth as possible . She has made friends immediately , participates in many of the activities and is really enjoying her meals!
She gets the support she needs to feel comfortable in her new home and is beginning to feel part of the community .

ellen antonucci

Thank you so much for taking the time to post. It is always wonderful to hear that our team is doing a wonderful job.

Brief experience, but a good one

Our experience with The Bristal was only a brief one, but overall I was impressed by the service they provided. The facility itself is well kept and clean, and the staff we worked with were all very friendly. Although things did not work out in the long term I felt that their introductory process here was great, they put a lot of effort into making sure new residents and their families feel comfortable and well informed.

ellen antonucci

Thank you. Our staff really appreciates when they receive positive feedback!

Very friendly staff!

Things have gone well so far with The Bristal at East Meadow! It's a nice looking, clean place, and the staff have all been incredibly friendly and professional. They really make an effort to get to know each of their residents as individuals to learn how to make them comfortable.

ellen antonucci

Thank you for the kind review. We always appreciate hearing from our happy residents and their family members!

Great place

They do a great job here. Everything is always clean and nice looking, the staff are very friendly, and we've been very happy with all of the services they provide. We toured several options in the area and this one was the best by far, we would recommend it.

ellen antonucci

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We always appreciate hearing that our residents and their families are happy with the services we're providing.

Very lovely, our second choice

This is one of the locations we toured when we were looking for Mom, and this would have been the one we picked if she decided she wanted to stay in New York. It was a very nice looking community, and the staff were very friendly. Mom decided that she would rather be closer to family so we ended up going with another option, but this one was great!

ellen antonucci

We appreciate hearing that we were one of your top picks. It is wonderful for your mom to be closer to her family. Best of luck.

The Bristal at East Meadow is one member of a growing family of Assisted Living communities that have been built on Long Island, by Long Islanders, bearing The Bristal name. Like all of our communities, East Meadow has been designed to strike the ideal balance between privacy and protection. Fully licensed by the New York State Department of Health, we’ve planned every detail of this rental lifestyle to enable our residents, and their families, to make the most of each activity-filled day. From our spacious studios, to our one- and two-bedroom apartments, replete with roomy kitchens and generous bathrooms, The Bristal at East Meadow is designed and developed to excite and delight the most demanding of families. Yours.

Reflecting on Memory Loss.
Each of The Bristal communities houses a special area called Reflections. Reflections is a comprehensive memory enhancement program that specializes in dealing with older adults who are facing early to mid-stage Alzheimer’s Disease and
other memory-related cognitive disorders. Each location is staffed with experienced professionals who are trained and equipped to enhance the quality of life for these special-needs residents and their families. For instance, a sophisticated
wander system, featuring electronic bracelets, alerts the staff whenever a Reflections resident nears an exiting door. Residents enjoy access to a secure outdoor courtyard. All in all, care at Reflections is provided in a safe, secure and compassionate environment – a place, quite literally, our residents call home.