Sunrise of East Meadow - East Meadow, NY

Nice place

My mom loves this place !! My only complaint is they need to hire more help!!

The Sunrise of East Meadow was very nicely decorated. Very friendly staff and very clean. [Name removed] was very impressed. [Name removed] was very helpful with the tour and information.

Good location, welcoming bldg with a porch and rockers outside. Staff very friendly.
Rooms are a nice size, full wellness center on site. Disappointing was the seating sessions for meals.

Overpriced

Overpriced for services received. To all those looking for Assisted Living there are a variety of options to choose from on Long Island. Places so much nicer.

would not recommend

Toured for my mother. Very expensive and over priced compared to the other Assisted Living's that we looked at. Saw aides serving in the dining room. Was a huge turn off. Met briefly with the Executive Director who was very disengaged and distracted. She did not seem genuine. The sales woman was extremely nice and informative. We will be looking somewhere else that is more affordable with a more engaged Director.

Sunrise Senior Living

Thank you for touring our community. We are sorry to hear about your experience and take your comments very seriously and would like to speak with you further. Please email information (at) sunriseseniorliving (dot) com with your contact information so that we can reach out to you. Thank you, The Sunrise Team

Sad to say things have changed. For the worst.

Sunrise is not what it was. My mother callls me daily to complain about the careless attitude of their new Administrator. Needless to say, she will not be living there much longer, once we find alternative placement. My mother states Admin neglects to engage with the residents, something the old admin always did. She can’t even say a quick hello! She said the staff morale has declined and that she feels for the leadership team that has been there for years and works so hard to make sure the residents are well cared for. My advice is that it is not what it was and unless someone at Sunrise who is in charge of the decision making helps to make it what it used to be, then there are other Sunrise Assisted Living’s close by to look into. Avoid this place until someone in upper management cleans it up and opens their eyes to what is going on. -H.C.

Sunrise Senior Living

HC - Please know that we take all concerns seriously and would like to learn more about your experience at Sunrise. Please email Information (at) SunriseSeniorLiving(dot) com with further details so we may follow up. Thank you. - The Sunrise Team

Stay away!

I would not send my mom or dad here. Had a horrible experience recently with the Director of Nursing and Executive Director. It used to be such a great place and has gone down hill. The costs keep going up and there isn’t nothing to show for it. The care givers are overworked and the nursing department is rude and arrogant. Stay away!

Very impressive community. Their age-in-place caring is what we need. It is an excellent basis for comparison for the next two tours

In general this is a good community

The staff are quick to address things. They are attentive and mom is getting a lot of personal care. The food is good and the meals are well balanced. They do offer some daily activities and mom has enjoyed participate in a few of them. I liked that this is an active community and I would recommend it.

My tour

This looked like a nice clean community when we visited. The person that took us on tour was nice. They are able to give residents their insulin shots. We did choose a community that was closer to us.

Good Tour of this Community

We had a good tour of this community. Everyone was very kind, and friendly. The community appeared to be well-kept. The staff I met was courteous, and answered my questions. It was a nice experience, but the location was convenient for us.

Great People!

The people here were great with my aunt. She really liked it. The chef Michael was wonderful and made sure that he was accommodating to my aunt. It is a beautiful community just to far for us. The staff are wonderful with the residents.

At home

Excellent overall
Friendly and courteous staff
Attention to individual needs
Clean and very welcoming

This community has been good and I am happy with the care they provide. They keep the community clean and maintain my mother-in-laws room. She participates the best she can in activities and likes to observe some too. She likes the meals they serve, she has options to choose from.

At Sunrise their is love

My aunt Josephine moved in about 6 months ago and it was a really hard adjustment for her. But given the warmth and love that the Executive Director showed her every day until she adjusted is what I think contributed to her feeling "at home." There are so many hard working and loving and caring staff. I think this is due to how the leadership team sets the standards. There are many things that aren't perfect but knowing my sister is loved from the ED all the way to the housekeepers reassures me that we all made the right choice.

Nice but pricey

Beautiful place, very expensive. Most employees are wonderful and responsive, altho there's a few in the dining staff who seem to forget that these elderly people are paying a lot of money and shouldn't be treated like annoying patrons in a cheap diner. The nursing staff is good, altho a little lax in following up on things; one nurse in particular has a nasty attitude and needs to learn to let people finish their sentences and to listen to what people are saying. All in all, Sunrise is better than any other senior living facility I've seen but for the outrageous amount of $ it costs, their staff needs to deal with people better. Their residents are spending their life savings on this place and each one of them has the nagging fear in the back of their head that they will outlive their savings and be thrown out (which is unfortunately exactly what will happen).

Overall Happy

Overall we are happy with this facility, we do have our concerns just like any other family, but everything is fine. It is a pretty well kept facility. For the most part the staff have been pleasant. There are activities offered if she ever wants to participate. The food is good, she enjoys the meals.

Sunrise of East Meadow is the best and I would recommend them!!!!!

I cannot say enough about this community. My husband is doing well and the food is so good he has even gained weight. I have taken to eating there almost daily as well. His independent caregiver Jill is excellent and they get along so well. The staff are so nice and they cannot do enough for you.

Caretakers are good Professional are horrible.

Sunrise Assisted Living Facility is clean and the chef is a very valuable asset to the facility. The aides were most often pleasant and made my father comfortable. We appreciated all their efforts and feel that they are under compensated. The "professional" staff is extremely unprofessional. They provide misinformation when specific questions are asked and then deny they ever said anything to the family. They will sit you down initially and explain their fees and immediately increase them when you sign a contract. They do not communicate with the family in 3 month intervals as promised and purposely avoid contact with the family during serious issues. Some issues included the type of bed allowed, the errors in billing that they "were unaware of", and the blatant lie they told about the improved health and likely return of someone placed in hospice. They went as far as to suggest "leaving the belongings in the room, so they could charge the next months rent!!" DISGUSTING. How anyone could justify giving a family false hope in a terminal situation is just disgraceful. They lie, steal your money and then try to say it's all in the patient's best interest. They told one woman who had no where to go...you are out of money and you have to leave. This is not my idea of quality care. Please do the research before you place your precious parents and grandparents here. They put on a good show but only care about the money.

Sunrise Senior Living

We’re sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience. Please contact us at information (at) sunriseseniorliving (dot) com so we can better understand your concerns. –The Sunrise Team

It is going okay

It is going okay, but not as good as I thought it would be. I had high hopes for this place, but it is mediocre at best. I think that they try, but it could definitely be a better experience overall.

Home sweet home

Sunrise of East Meadows deserves the 4 star they have received. Its provides top notch care to my grandmother and she would concur with me.

The Cleanliness

The cleanliness and the staff is wonderful. I would recommend to friends and family.

Caring staff

Sunrise is expensive, but for the level of care that they provide it is worth it. The staff is very caring and responsive to the residents. The facility itself is always clean and well maintained. There are a variety of activities for the residents to do. The food here is even good.

As far as we are concerned, it couldn't be a better place.

The place couldn't be cleaner, and as far as we are concerned it couldn't be a better place. The staff are friendly and responsive, and attentive. They have activities going until about 5:00 in the evening. It's very expensive, but we feel like we get a good value for what we are paying.

The medical management here is excellent.

The medical management here is excellent. I would rate everything a four as far as overall experience.

Not a Nursing Home

My Dad has been living at Sunrise of East Meadow since late January 2015 and after an expected adjustment period, I have to say that i am very pleased with the care my father is receiving. Any complaints he has had have been minor and he tells me regularly that they are taking really good care of him. My Dad is a pretty easy going guy but he does require quite a bit of care as he is physically incapacitated. I feel extremely fortunate to have found a place like Sunrise that is willing to take on the challenges of caring for a person like my dad. I am grateful everyday that i wasn't forced to put him in a nursing home.

A very nice homey place, looks well maintained and staff is very nice. Very nice rooms. A bit on the pricey side but if it fits your budget definitely take a look.

Simple statement

WOnderful staff and building to maximize the daily quality of life for residents.

Went to visit prior to Bris...

Went to visit prior to Bristal but was more expensive and more like a nursing home.

It's been a wonderful experience.

It's been a wonderful experience. It was a little tough waiting to get in, but once we were there, it's been super. It was in a good location for us. The foliage was very pleasant and it had a sunny, positive atmosphere. The facilities are outstanding. The staff, everyone, they incorporate him into all the activities. They are just wonderful!

It's a good place for somebody who wants some socialization,

In the beginning we had to remind them about a few things. In the reminiscent care unit, there really isn't a way to keep the door open to the rooms, and they do check on the residents every couple of hours, but they can't see them all of the time, a motion detector of some sort would be helpful. It's a good place for somebody who wants some socialization, not as much in the reminiscent unit, but some, as much as they are capable of.

tour was great and informat...

tour was great and informative and the facility is impressive. The cost was very high and there is an intial fee of over $5K that makes it less a possiblity to try as respite.

Very nice place & informed,...

Very nice place & informed, friendly staff

Not Right For My Mom

I have to tell you, it's hard to explain but when I walked in there I just didn't get a good feeling. It's a much bigger place and my mother likes small. I thought it was congested - too many people around. I didn't like the bedrooms. I thought hey were a little outdated. The people were lovely that showed me around but I just knew in my heart that my mother would not be happy there.

Reminisence

I do not feel that Sunrise lives up to it's promises. My family member is in the Reminisence unit and I do not feel that they provide all the activities that they list on the activity calendar. Also, they have unskilled staff leading the activities. On the plus side, the staff is caring and patient and the facility is kept very clean.

Sunrise Senior Living

Hi Vicky - We’re sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience with activities in our community. We care deeply about the well-being of our residents and would like to learn more about your experience. Please contact us at [removed]. –The Sunrise Team

Need more staff

My father ahs since died, I think the staff that they have overall is good, they're friendly, I think they know what they're doing but I think the biggest problem is they don't have enough staffing. We bought my father the clicker that you have around your neck if you aren't by a pull cord but they don't come right away, it could be 10 minutes or more before they come. I don't think it's because they don't care, I think it's because they don't have enough staff. We spoke with Patti, the director, and she freely admits that they don't. I don't think that they don't want to have more, it's that corporate isn't letting them.
The activities were there but are you going to participate? Well, a lof of the people there are kind of out of it, they're sleeping in their wheelchairs or stuck in a corner somewhere; so maybe a lot don't because they are too out of it to participate. There are absolutely some that do but does the staff come to get you and let you know that there's a sing a long? I don't think they do and I think they can't because there aren't enough of them.

Sunrise Senior Living

Thank you for your comments and we’re sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience. The safety and well-being of our residents is our top priority. We’d like to learn more, so please contact us at [removed]. –The Sunrise Team

Not sure what you're actually getting

We had a deposit down but her health was snowballing and it didn't work out, we were jsut going back and forth from rehab to the hospital but they're beautiful communities and everything is nice and clean, high ceilings, gorgeous moldings but then you see something like the Frontline thing and it scares the hell out of you. And then you have a 10000 a month just for assisted living.

beautiful I want to move he...

beautiful I want to move here...very pricey

I like the place. It was comfortable,...

I like the place. It was comfortable, offered wheelchair assistance if needed and options for add'l levels of care.

This was a wonderful experience. We ...

This was a wonderful experience. We spoke with Director's assistant. She was very informative and helpful. This was our first experience with Assisted Living and will be looking at others.

Visited. Have resident animals. Big...

Visited. Have resident animals. Big and may be confusing. Nice staff. Mom wants to visit here.

All Sunrise senior living communities encourage families who visit residents to treat them to a day out in the surrounding communities, perhaps to shop, have lunch, or enjoy a seasonal event. Those visiting loved ones at Sunrise of East Meadow have a plethora of choices, thanks to its location on New York's storied Long Island.

City Info

East Meadow is a hamlet, an unincorporated area of Nassau County that is actually part of the Town of Hempstead. As of the last census, 38,132 people called East Meadow home. The median age of these individuals was 43.2 years old. Other relevant demographics include

- Housing: For such a relatively small town it's impressive that two assisted living facilities are situated within its boundaries. In addition there are two 55-and-over rental apartment complexes in the surrounding towns as well as 192 other communities offering independent living, assisted living, or skilled nursing care.

- Veteran Facilities: Nassau County Veterans Services has a service center in East Meadow that provides help to veterans regarding pensions, education opportunities, rehabilitation, and benefits. There is also a VA health clinic on site.

- Year-round Weather: East Meadow experiences temperatures in keeping with the rest of the northeastern seaboard. Although typical summer temperatures reach the low 80s and hover around the freezing point come winter, there's always one or two days that experience temps of 90 and above and months later, and a few deep freeze days when the thermometer shows single digits.

Transportation

Since many East Meadow residents work in New York City and rely on public transportation, the area is well-served. It's also ideally situated as far as proximity to both of New York's major airports which are located in the Borough of Queens which is part of Long Island.

- Buses: Nassau County Inter-County Express (NICE) runs several routes connecting East Meadow and Hempstead to other Long Island towns, as well as the nearby Long Island Railroad (LIRR) station.

- LIRR: The Long Island Railroad schedule accommodates city commuters by scheduling several trains per hour on the Hempstead branch into Penn Station with frequently scheduled trains during morning and evening peak hours. During off-peak hours, trains travel every hour and general tickets cost less and seniors enjoy a discounted fare.

- Airports: Depending on traffic both JFK International Airport atnd LaGuardia International Airport are less than an hour's drive away.

- Road Travel: Again due to its proximity to New York City (35 miles to midtown Manhattan) several major highways and thoroughfares connect to the Long Island Expressway, the Southern State parkway, and the Northern State Parkway all of which run from the eastern end of the island and Montauk to the western end and the three bridges into NYC.

Health and Safety

East Meadow residents can obtain state-of-the-art medical treatment not only in New York City, but right here at home.

- Nassau University Medical Center in East Meadow, a teaching hospital affiliated with the Health Sciences Center of Stony Brook University of the State University of New York.
- NYU Winthrop Hospital six miles away in Mineola
- North Shore University Hospital 12 miles away in Manhasset.
- East Meadow is also served by several urgent care facilities.

Crime

East Meadow is slightly safer than the nation a whole when statistics on violent crime are compared, with 297people per 100,000 falling victim versus 386 per 100,000 nationwide. It's significantly safer for property crimes 1,230 versus 2,451.

Sports and Leisure

As part of the town of Hempstead, residents of East Meadow have access to

- town parks , tennis courts, and hiking trails.
- Lido Beach Golf Course and Merrick Road Golf Course
- 23 municipal swimming pools
- five town beaches

Shopping and Entertainment

Nassau County has a reputation as a shop-til-you-drop kind of place. East Meadow residents have their choice of shopping centers and malls including

- Roosevelt Field Mall in Garden City
- The Gallery at Westbury Plaza also in Garden City
- Mall at the Source in Westbury
- Green Acres Shopping Center in Valley Stream

East Meadow residents don't have to travel far for entertainment.

- Eisenhower Park right in town serves as a venue throughout the year for concerts featuring jazz, gospel, classic rock and oldies groups.
- Lakeside Theater hosts concerts featuring tribute bands, swing bands, and music of all genres
- Movie goers have their choice of too many cinema complexes and theaters to mention here, all within 15 miles of East Meadow.

Places to eat range from fast food eateries like Dunkin' Donuts and McDonald's to $$$$-rated special occasion restaurants.

Religious Facilities

East Meadow hosts an ecumenical variety of religious facilities.

- East Meadow United Methodist Church
- Holy Trinity Orthodox Church
- St Francis Polish National Catholic Church
- St Raphael Parish Church (Catholic)
- Calvary East Meadow (non-Denominational)