The Birches at Newtown - Newtown, PA

Could not have been more impressed

I made an appointment with [Name removed], a marketing representative at the Birches in Newtown, to tour the facility with my 95 year old mother. From the moment we entered the Birches, I could not have been more pleased or impressed! The building and grounds are clearly well-cared for, impeccably appointed and inviting. [Name removed] gave us a leisurely tour where we met several residents and go to see the many amenities The Birches offers. She took additional time to answer our questions and was even able to show us the rooms of several residents with their permission. I'm hoping mom makes the decision to move in, I know she will have a great experience getting to know the other residents and enjoying all the Birches has to offer. And if the rest of the staff is as lovely as [Name removed], that would be the topping on the cake.

Great community

I really enjoyed meeting the staff and touring The Birches on Friday. You have a really nice facility! FYI, I am putting the wait-list deposit in the mail today - to keep The Birches in close contact as my parents needs progress.

Happy Resident

The Birches has GREAT programming!
My mother often tells me about having attended programs that she really enjoyed. Kudos to whomever is in charge.
Wonderful staff in ALL areas.

In need of medicaid pay facility

I contacted the Birches as I am trying to relocate my parents to Bucks County. Both have differing needs...one is personal care/private pay while the other is skilled nursing/medicaid. Of course, I want them at the same facility. Upon talking to the Director of Marketing, I found that Birches is private pay only. Typically, when a facility did not take medicaid as an option for one parent; the conversation stopped there.

I live in Southern California, so coordinating this from across the country has not been the easiest of endeavors. She took the time out of her day to send me a list of potential facilities in the area that could meet our needs. I can not even begin to tell you what a huge help this was, particularly as I do not live there and am not familiar with the facilities. These decisions are always rather stressful, and the fact that she did this act of service with no benefit aside from sheer kindness was truly a light in this process.

It only further underscores that the Birches is indeed worthy of its recognition and praise, thus why I had contacted you in the first place. Thank you again. I am very grateful.

There were so many activities for the residents to do - this is a great place for active seniors.

This was a wonderful facility, but my dad needs medical assistance.

A tour for good care

We toured this community and like the staff. The community is very clean and the menu has a lot of healthy choices. They have good activities that would have been helpful. We would recommend that others tour this community for the care of a loved on.

Care and cost

We liked this community. The staff was nice and caring. They wanted more money for different services for care. The community did not offer one price for the services needed. We wanted to find a community with a set fee for everything. Families should consider a tour to make sure they know what they are paying for.

Budget Friendly

I must say out of all the communities that we have researched and toured this one seems to be the best one to fit my mother in laws budget she pays very little out of pocket and for memory care that is rare. The location is great since it is only a 15-minute drive from us. She is doing well there. The staff overall seems friendly however at first there was an issue with communication but that has been resolved.
The rehab whether it be physical or occupational is going well. They keep me well informed of her progress.
She is enjoying the food and she is engaging in the activities they offer. I would definitely recommend them to anyone.

Nice Experience!!

I have no complaints about the tour I had taken of this community. The staff where on time to our appointment and made sure to give my loved one and I a detailed look at there facility. I was pleased with the floor plan and all of the great amenities they had available to all of the residents. It was just not the right fit for him in the end decision.

Gretchen Vakiener

Thanks for touring and taking the time to write a review! We hope you find a community that is the right fit!

Decent Tour

I had a decent tour of this community. The lady that gave the tour was professional. The community was nice, and clean. It was an okay experience, but I didn't get the feeling that this was the community for my mother, and her needs.

Gretchen Vakiener

Thanks so much for visiting The Birches at Newtown. We hope that you find a community that is the right “fit” for your mother.

The Birches - Newtown, PA

The facility & staff are excellent. They take care of all of my wife's needs to keep her safe and happy and content. I am very satisfied with the Birches and have said that if I die I know that my wife will be take care of. Again I can't say enough about the birches, and staff from top to bottom. They are all excellent and caring. Thanks for caring!

Nice place!

The Birches was nice, but they only had one shared room available at the time we toured & we were looking for a private room. The physical therapy department was huge & everyone we met was very friendly. We may have chosen this community had we not had a closer option to where we live in about the same price range.

Just do your homework!!!!

I recently toured this facility and I found there to be a strong odor as you entered the memory care unit. I mentioned this to [Removed] who was taking me on this tour. Some of the patients seemed "out of it". I did leave a deposit for my parent for sometime later on in this year. There are questions yet to be answered, as in percentage of yearly increases, emergency evacuation routes, educational levels of aides, medications administration by house physicians, and visiting hours. Do the memory care units have the same aide every day? I would like to see the odor gone before I place my parent in this facility. Before anyone commits their parent to this facility, drive around the facility and then compare to other facilities' area for their residents.

Gretchen Vakiener

Thanks so much for choosing The Birches at Newtown! You have great questions and I hope the team at The Birches was able to answer them to your satisfaction. We are confident in the care and service we provide our residents and welcome the opportunity to talk about our staffing, policies and protocols. I did want to address your concern about the odor you experienced. We are working diligently to address this issue. The laundry room is located right outside the entrance to the Memory Care neighborhood. And, although the odor isn’t a constant problem, we recognize the impact smell has on quality of life and are actively identifying a solution.

Good Tour

I toured this community for my mother and her needs. Everything went pretty well, this is a nice community. From what I saw the community looked well-kept. The staff was very friendly and courteous. It was a nice experience, this is good place.

MY Feelings About The Tour

I liked the community when I toured it. The people and residents were nice to meet. It was a large community, I did not realize it. I think the people I interacted with were knowledgeable.

Wonderful Entertainment

My mother is doing very well here at this community. They are taking good care of her and her needs. I like the fact there are many aids available. The staff is great, they have been very helpful and kind. There is nice entertainment and activities for the residents. We are happy with her move here, she is in good hands. I'am comfortable with the care they are providing her with. This is a lovely community, and I would recommend it.

The Birches is a great place!

I enjoyed the tour, the staff were all very kind and courteous. It was a beautiful community and had a comfortable feel to it. They offered many activities including a great exercise program with Fox rehabilitation. I was impressed and would have chosen this place for my dad if the wait list wasn't over six months long.

Gretchen Vakiener

Thanks so much for the kind words! We are proud of our team and the lifestyle that we offer to residents. As you stated, we do have a waiting list, but we are often able to help families with a more urgent need as long as they are on our waiting list. Did the Marketing team talk with you about refundable deposits? Please let us know if we can assist you further. Good luck in finding a community for your dad.

My mom has only been there a short time, but has received excellent care, and feels like part of a new family. Thank you.

Horrible at Birches of Newtown

The Birches of Newtown give a great sales pitch for the memory care unit! Was very excited to place my parent there only to be completely disappointed! The night staff has a lot to be desired! Patients are not secure, engaged and the stafff sits more than they work! You pay for extra services that are not provided! The TV room has no real furniture like the independent side! Why? Don't the memory care unit deserve a nice place to enjoy television? No tablecloths on the memory care dining tables ever and that kitchen area not maintained in a clean manner! If your parent is in the middle range of function there's no place for them in that program! Lots of deception so don't be fooled by the great sales talk of your tour! They are masterful in that area! PLEASE BEWARE!!!

Gretchen Vakiener

We are very sorry that you were disappointed by the Daybreak program at The Birches. Your comments are very surprising because the feedback that we get is overwhelmingly positive. Your review doesn’t indicate if your parent is still a resident, but if so, we encourage you to reach out to the Daybreak Director or Executive Director regarding your concerns so that they can be investigated and addressed. We are committed to providing quality care to residents and that includes a secure environment with programming designed specifically for people with dementia.

Very Encouraging To My Father

My father is doing very good at this community and he has adjusted well to it. The community looks great and it is always clean and well-kept. The staff is really good, they are doing a good job caring for my dad. There are many activities for the residents to choose from. They do a good with encouraging my dad to get involved. The food is good, they do sever a well balanced meal. He is getting the type of attention he needs. So I would recommend this community.

Review of The Birches at Newtown - Newtown, PA

I visited last Monday it appeared to be nice enough I took a tour. It was positive with exception of the strong odor at the entrance to the memory unit that lingers. I saw I lot of positive interactions while on the tour between the clients and the staff.

Gretchen Vakiener

Thanks for taking the time to tour and comment on your visit. I’m sorry that you experienced a strong odor in one location during your visit. We have a great housekeeping team and will share your comment with them for continuous quality improvement. On a positive note, I am thrilled that you noticed the positive interactions between residents and staff. We strive to create a community where residents become family. I hope you’ll come back again so that you can see that the odor was temporary but the relationships are permanent.

New facility. Clean. Small. Offers personal care and memory care. Has physical therapists on site.

Seemed like a nice place

We visited this community while looking into care options for a loved one. We did not take an in-depth look at The Birches, as they were full during the time of our search, but they did seem to be a nice place overall, and worth a look for other families looking into care in the area!

The Birches of Newtown

The Birches in Newtown is a wonderful facility with great caregivers. My aunt elderly aunt (97) resided there a short time, but during that time she was well-cared for and I was kept informed always as to how she was doing. She seemed very happy there and even with her poor memory (dementia), she was included in activities and made to feel important and treated with dignity. I live a distance from Newtown, PA, but felt comfortable leaving here there, knowing she was being well taken care of.

Review of The Birches at Newtown Alzheimer's / Memory Care in Newtown, PA

Beautiful facility - I thought the tour was informative. I feel this facility is too large for my mom to navigate.

My mother has only been a re...

My mother has only been a resident of the Daybreak/Memory Care at The Birches for a week. Mary Lambert, the Coordinator, and her staff provide a warm, welcoming atmosphere and are assessing in order to address my mother's specific needs.

We are confident that my mother will receive, and benefit from, the specialized care enabling her to enjoy the lovely spaces and experience a comfortable quality of life.

ok did not feel as if they ...

ok did not feel as if they had enough staff to far from home price about average

It's a nice place

It's a nice place, they have activities. It's clean, the staff is friendly. They aren't giving up and they are trying with her, even though she isn't real happy to be there. She is safe and well taken care of, if I have a question they get back to me right away. What I liked about it when I was looking was that it was new and has a hotel like atmosphere, the rooms are plush and the carpeting is too. The residents have their own private room, like an apartment. It wasn't institutional feeling. They had a reasonable rate, we visited others that weren't as nice, and they were more expensive than here.

Nice place, overall

So far our experience with The Birches at Newtown has been a big improvement from the facility our loved one was at previously! It's a very attractive, clean facility, and they have put a lot of effort into giving a warm homey feel. The community has a nice family atmosphere, the staff are warm and friendly and encourage that same attitude in the residents. All that being said, they are a very new community, and they've got a few kinks and organizational difficulties to work out, some aspects of the community just don't seem well thought out. The most glaring example I can think of is that the doors to the residents rooms can be locked just by pressing a button on the inside doorknob. Since this is a memory care community this means residents are constantly leaving their rooms without their keys and locking themselves out! They also have constant problems with the laundry service. And another big aspect that has started really negatively influencing the feel of the community is that recently they have started to get some aggressive memory care residents, and they do not control them well.
But overall this is a nice place. The staff do their best and are always happy to help. and I'm sure some of these difficulties will improve over time.