Chandler Hall Health Services, Inc - Newtown, PA

They Would Not Make Me Happy

I came to see this community for a respite and I though they looked a little bleak, slightly depressing. I didn't see much people talking or doing much. It looked more like a
nursing home.

Why We'll Never Return to Chandler Hall

Chandler Hall has recently been purchased, and in early [Removed] upper level management and some of the nursing staff was replaced. My mother had been in Chandler Hall in the [Removed], and our experience there was very good.
Now it is as if it is an entirely different place.
My father was sent to Chandler Hall from a local hospital after a fall. He did not sustain any fractures, but did significant soft tissue damage to his right hip. We were expecting a 1-2 week stay to rehabilitate him to the level he could return home with a 24-hour aide to help him..
Instead, eight days later, he is deteriorating. The PT staff, while they seem to be competent, communicate rarely, don't return phone calls, and are very difficult to reach.
But the more serious problem is with the nursing staff. My father has been left sitting in a wheelchair for hours. The staff was not taking him to breakfast or lunch, until I made an issue of it. It has taken 30-60 minutes for a nurse or CNA to respond to a request to help him move into bed, or to go to the bathroom.
Many of the staff are rude to both patients and their families. Every day of my father's stay, we have had at least one instance of a nurse or CNA behaving in a rude and unprofessional manner toward one of us. For example, on two occasions my father rang for a nurse, and I then came in for a visit. A nurse or CNA came in more than 30 minutes after my arrival, and asked in a snippy way what we wanted, then continued to be rude when I replied that I didn't know because I hadn't made the request and my father could no longer remember why he had asked for help.
We are transferring my father at the end of the holiday weekend. My understanding is that we are not the first family to make this decision, based on the quality of care. I had also previously decided on Chandler Hall when my parents do require a long-term nursing home. I will not consider it as an option now. Once my Dad leaves the facility, we are never coming back.

Excellent Care and Respect

A Quaker community that treats each resident with respect and dignity. Since my mom arrived in April of 2011, I have never had to worry that her needs weren't being met, that she was at risk as she had been living in her own apartment, and that her caregivers go above and beyond. They have tried to address my Mom's particular needs as much as she will allow and have creatively worked on ways to engage her. The facility is beautiful and well kept, the staff caring and attentive and not overbearing, the food could use a bit of an upgrade. Access to an on grounds Y and a beautiful pool. I am so thankful for Chandler Hall.