Allegria at The Oaks - Bensalem, PA

My mother was a resident of Allegria At The Oaks and all me and my family can say is thank you from the bottom of our hearts for taking such good care of our mother. This is a fabulous place with an awesome staff who always listened and supported the needs of the residents and family members. We were very lucky to have found such a caring home for our mother and for that we are forever grateful.

A Good Find!

I was responsible for finding a residence for two people and the Oaks of Bensalem was an absolutely perfect place. One was placed in the memory care unit and the other in the assisted living area. The staff is very committed to providing excellent care for the residents. Both levels have access to the outdoors to enjoy the fresh air. This community is very clean smelling and the environment is very warm and inviting. There is an abundance of different types of activities to participate in, they definitely keep the residents busy. The food is very good, they serve ample servings, no one goes away hungry! They do offer transportation for outside excursions for the residents. I would definitely recommend this community to friends and family. And a big thank you to A Place For Mom for providing options and help in finding a place for the people I care for.

No Complaints About This Community

My mother is doing great with her move to this community. We are very pleased with all they have done for our family. This is a lovely community, and they are taking good care of her. Everyone is great, and we have no complaints about this community. This is a community I would recommend to my friends, and family.

My mother can no longer live by herself so she is now living at the Oakes Of Bensalem where the staff is very friendly and welcoming to be around. They try hard to make the residents feel happy and relaxed. The food is very good and they have many fun activities to take part in. The facility is kept clean and the décor is very inviting. I feel the residents are well taken care of. I would definitely recommend this place to others.

The facility was clean, residents in the memory care unit seemed engaged and content. [Removed] was very helpful in answering questions.

I am happy with the care from the staff. They keep the community clean in all areas and my mom's room is cleaned too. As for the meals I think she likes it. Overall she is pleased and I am happy so far, there is room for improvements.

Brenda Brolly

Thank you so much for the feedback, we appreciate you taking the time to do so. We at Oaks of Bensalem strive to make our community the best it can be and are continually working on making improvements. We welcome any suggestions you may have and will try to implement them when possible.

So Far A Good Experience

So far everything is working out pretty well for my mother here at The Oaks. They have a good staff here, they are caring for my mother and her needs well. It is a nice looking community, they do a good job with the cleaning. There are activities offered for the residents. She is pleased with the meals, the food is nice. This is a community I would recommend, because they are providing my mother with good care.

Brenda Brolly

Thank you for taking the time to give us positive feedback.

Quality of Care has increased

We love what they have done to the building! Mom is thriving in her dementia environment, especially after ALL staff have been trained on the memory modules. The quality of care has definitely increased over the past 1.5 years. Thank you for all you have done with the place Oaks of Bensalem!

Brenda Brolly

Thank you so much for the positive feedback. We will continue to work on improving and adding to our programming and maintenance of our building. We are very excited to open our new courtyard in the near future as well!

Review of Oaks Of Bensalem-Bensalem, Pa

Friendly staff. They keep the place nice and clean. Food is great here. Knowledgeable staff. A place to call home.

Review of Oaks Of Bensalem-Bensalem, Pa

The Oaks of Bensalem facility is a comfortable place to live. Place is clean and people are always friendly. They treat us better compared to other facilities I've been. The common areas are handsomely decorated. I would have no problem sending loved ones here.

Review of Oaks Of Bensalem - Bensalem, Pa

I like the way they clean the place. The staff are very helpful. Very presentable. Cozy ambiance. Kept Clean. They have variety of activities to do. This is a nice place to live. People are mostly kind and friendly and treat us better compared to other facilities I've been. The common areas are handsomely decorated. I would have no problem sending loved ones here.

Review of Oaks Of Bensalem - Bensalem, Pa

Excellent food. They kept the place clean and nice. Very presentable. They have appropriate activities for everyone.

Oaks needs rent control

I have no complaint with the staff at Oaks, but the management/owners who took over in about October of 2014 are bankrupting the residents. They imposed a rent increase and another increase in the cost of care within several months of taking over. In fairness, much was put into refurbishing and refurnishing, though I can't say it's to my taste, and all of it is wasted on my family member and other residents there who suffer with dementia. The latest (3rd) cost increase was notification that the room rate for dementia residents would be raised more than 80% over current cost. This is an exorbitant increase for people living on fixed incomes. Once a resident's assets are exhausted, he/she must find somewhere else to live. Removing a person with dementia from all that has become familiar to him or her is a cruel thing! Oaks' financial policies almost guarantee that I will have to do this to my loved one.

Brenda Brolly

In 2015, when Oaks of Bensalem took over the operation from Sierra Oaks, the facility had been foreclosed upon because of failure to pay the monthly mortgage. The previous owner, a convicted felon in California, now serving 40 years in prison, had drained all the resources from the facility and staff. His business model was to provide minimum staffing, poor maintenance, in a very rundown facility. To maintain occupancy, he would charge very low rent and care fees. In effect, he was “warehousing” residents. Some residents with limited resources accepted these poor conditions because they had few other options.

Oaks of Bensalem has a very different management philosophy. We believe in the dignity of the human spirit and that every resident, with or without dementia, should be treated with the utmost respect and honor. Every resident deserves a clean, good-smelling environment, intellectually stimulating activities, excellent food, high quality care and a friendly place to live. Over the past year, the environment has been transformed, from top to bottom. Many visitors say that they cannot recognize the place, as so many improvements in infrastructure and care services have been made. They see that Oaks has become a top-class senior care home.

Beginning in April 2016, Oaks of Bensalem is opening a secured dementia unit with an additional license from the State. As reflected throughout the senior care industry, the cost of care for residents with dementia and Alzheimer’s Disease is considerably higher than caring for residents who are cognitively independent. This is because more staffing is required.

Under our new state license, we are required to place residents with dementia in our secured unit. In some cases, the cost of this increased care creates a financial hardship for residents and their families. Where an existing resident with dementia has valid Medicaid documentation showing financial hardship, Oaks of Bensalem has been willing to subsidize them for a period of time to allow them to find a more affordable care home. Where there is insufficient documentation, no temporary subsidy is applied. Some families have found this approach objectionable, suggesting that Oaks of Bensalem should provide an ongoing subsidy to their family member. However, most residents and their families have found this approach acceptable, understanding that the facility has undergone a transformation, going from (low-cost/low quality) to (moderate cost/high quality).

In fact, our pricing is comparable to other high quality facilities in the area. Our rent increases occur annually on the anniversary of occupancy and are moderate. Care fees go up or down only when there is a change in condition, requiring more or less care. Our approach is to encourage as much independence as possible, thereby reducing care fees.

In summary, Oaks of Bensalem provides very high quality care in a high quality environment.
We believe that our work is to:

Create new possibilities by transforming the experience of senior living.

Each day, our caregivers, med techs, nurses, cooks and managers strive to provide extraordinary service at good value and with an open heart.

Very helpful

Brenda Brolly

Thank you very much for your positive response!

Great place with friendly staff

I was very confused and stressed on how to go about finding a great new place for my Dad. I called A Place For Mom and Natalie guided me, gave suggestions and asked great questions. My sister and I then went to look at a few places and we decided the best place was Oaks at Bensalem. The people at Oaks at Bensalem were friendly, helpful and informative. The facility is getting a whole new look and so far it is beautiful! I love walking in and seeing the awesome crystal chandelier hanging in the lobby. I am always greated when I come in to visit. The first few times they asked for ID, which means my Dad will always be safe( now they know me). Lots of fun activities for Dad to do all day and help with some of his daily activities. He said the food is great and he feels like he is dining out every day because he orders what he wants form the menu (3 choices every day).
My Dad misses his old home but thanks to Brenda and the staff at Oaks of Bensalem, he is settling in to his new home.

Bypass this place!

My relative has lived here 4 2 yrs. Great place when he moved in. New ownership in recent months. Now all that matters is $$ and cents. They have been inflating everyone s care levels to pay for improvement s.
They only care about $$.
Look elsewhere, they have no sensitivity.
The director never does anything if u have a complaint.

Brenda Brolly

I would like to explain that our current care charges, which unfortunately had not been reviewed or updated with the previous owners, are well within the standard charges in the surrounding areas and are of no reflection on the renovations. There are capital funds allocated to the property for updates and comfort for our residents by the investing company. We pride ourselves on the attention to individual care given to each and every individual resident in our community and use a very comprehensive and fair assessment system in order to determine those levels of care. Our director is extremely approachable and has an open door policy with residents and their families, as well as staff. The majority of our residents and their families have had wonderful care and experiences here and will attest to that,as you can see on our social media pages, website and newsletter.

Very nice place!

We're very pleased with how things are going at the Oaks of Bensalem, I would give them high marks across the board! The people here are friendly, and it seems like a very nice place. Our loved one has really settled in well, and seems very happy here!

Thank you!

My mother has been here 6 years - there have been some slight issues, but to be expected with ANY facility. Staff has always been very friendly, loving, and kind to her, myself (I had knee surgery last year and those who knew about it always ask how I am doing),and family. I feel the value has been there - just hoping it doesn't go up too high with rates changing as I would love to keep her there... Food is EXCELLENT and I have joined her for a lunch a few times. Henry and staff do a wonderful job. Nursing staff has always been helpful and willing to answer questions... I am grateful we found this place for my mother, and it's only 20 minutes from home!

The wooded setting with outside areas were very picturesque. Every staff member we saw interacted with all the residents as well as us. A very warm and welcoming atmosphere. While on our tour we were asked to stay and watch an exercise class taking place. They do a great job in getting the residents to attend the many activities going on. We were disappointed that this facility was just a little higher than Mom could afford. I am giving this facility 4 stars because of the price, but otherwise I would give it 5 stars.

Affordable but smells bad

My Mom is confused at certain times, sometimes more than others. No one checks on her on a regular schedule. They don't take her or any residents out of the building and the building smells really bad. Not enough nurses, they only have aids that don't know what my mom needs. But I am able to afford it because it is run down.

Brenda Brolly

We have round the clock care with fully trained, state approved, caring staff with full time nurses, med techs, personal care assistants and dietary aides. Each and every resident has a personalized care plan that is carefully adhered to. Our community is under new management and as such is undergoing wonderful renovations with new carpeting throughout, as well as new furnishings and décor in all of the common areas. As well as renovations we also have a new activities director, who has activities planned throughout the day, as well as upcoming outings with the nicer weather approaching. Stop in for a tour and see for yourself!

Untrained Staff

Most employees are very caring just not well trained with no real sense of urgency. Laundry is constantly mixed up. The Clinical Manager is lazy. He does not listen to problems and practically laughs in your face when you raise an issue. His friend is equally as lazy. Night supervision is non-existent. If your loved one falls, no one knows and they do not report it to you. Place smells terrible, particularly downstairs. Most residents are incoherent so there is little to no interaction with other residents for our loved ones.
Place needs to be updated...depressing interior.

Brenda Brolly

Place is undergoing renovations. New carpets and flooring being installed in the building. A new energetic Activities Director has been hired and a variety of activities are being offered throughout the day. Care staff members are trained and are in compliance with the State requirements for training. Licensed nursing staff are in the building and are well trained in proper documentation and communication. The place has proper staffing according to state requirements.

If Mon is happy - I'm happy.

I recently visited my mother at Sierra Oaks where she has been a resident for about three years. I asked her the only real question I have about her care and that was Do you like it here? My mother responded I love it here. She also said I want to stay here forever. Thank God for Sierra Oaks.

A change of heart

The staff and employees were helpful and caring. They went out of their way to help not only the residents but also the visitors. I had been in other facilities and was very depressed at what I had previously seen, but Sierra Oaks did a good job changing my outlook. While I was not thrilled to have to place my husband at the facility, it was a relief to know he would be looked out for and taken care of, and they went out of their way to accomodate his special needs.

They do a pretty good job. I don't really have any complaints.

They do a pretty good job. I don't really have any complaints. I am happy with the variety of food, but it can take a little bit of time to be served. There are little mix-ups with the laundry but that is to be expected from what I understand. They are a pretty good value. It seemed friendlier and homier, a little cleaner than the others we saw. It was less like a hospital setting.

Everybody learned who she was right away, and that really impressed me.

I felt very comfortable talking with Patrick, he got back to me quickly when I called, he always gets right back to me, he is very responsive. Everybody learned who she was right away, and that really impressed me. It would be nice if there was some kind of Ambassador program, where maybe some of the residents that have been here a little while would take the newer ones under their wing. The meals always smell divine, and she only complains that she has too much food.

Sierra Oaks of Bensalem was a wonderf...

Sierra Oaks of Bensalem was a wonderful when we first placed our mom here but things have changed. A couple of the people in upper management have moved to other locations or left the company all together. People (employees) are using our mom's closet for their personal coats and bags. Some of the people are smokers so mom's clothes begin to smell like smoke.
Mom had scaps and bruises on her shins and there was no notes on her charts nor was the family notified that she had fallen.

Compared to where he was this place is a five star amazing place.

They have new stuff everyday to do. All around they are really good, I like them. Compared to where he was this place is a five star amazing place. I am very happy with where he is. It was one of the only affordable ones. There is always somewhere for us to go, there is a little of a smell at certain times.

It's ok, it doesn't seem like there is enough staff.

It's ok, it doesn't seem like there is enough staff. They couldn't find her for like 20 minutes, they didn't know where she was maybe she's upstairs maybe she's downstairs. She was in somebody elses room, and they weren't around and she was sleeping in their bed. I don't know if it's that big a deal, as long as she is not hurting anybody maybe it's ok to be wandering around. It seems like they have activities, my mom is not gonna play bingo and card games thought. They are having family night, a big party with food and everyone's welcome with a guy from a Motown band that I recollected. The food is ok, I had it a couple times and I ate it. I think my mom likes it. They always have a good desert they will bring her a decalf and she thinks it's real coffee. I just thought it was kind of fatty. I had some kind of chicken goulash I thought it was bland and kind of blah and I struggled through it, and they had some kind of rice pudding and she loves that. If they had a few more staff members keeping an eye that would be nice. Ultimately I would recommend Sierra Oaks for it's value. If you were able to visit fairly frequently you would be able to keep a better eye on it. It is older. It's clean but it's not new.

Affordable option for us.

Sierra Oaks is a good option with tight funds. Dining area is like a country kitchen. Activities keep the residents occupied and happy. Concidering for Dad.

We did tour. Seemed nice, close.

We did tour. Seemed nice, close.

Nestled right in the heart of scenic Bucks County, Allegria at The Oaks of Bensalem is reminiscent of a comfortable country farmhouse bursting with southern-style hospitality. From everything including our décor, delicious homemade dishes prepared just the way you like them and our cozy suites, Allegria at The Oaks feels just like home – without all the chores. Relax outside in our gazebo surrounded by floral landscaping, enjoy a movie with a group of your closest friends, or play a rousing game of trivia in our activity room. With convenient access to local shopping malls, restaurants and places of worship, our residents can take advantage of our great location through our generous transportation services. Starting at $2,200 per month, Allegria at The Oaks offers affordable, fully furnished accommodations that fit your individual preferences – and your budget. Come find out why so many people call Allegria at The Oaks home.