The Birches Assisted Living - Clarendon Hills, IL

Move in fee too high. The place was dark.

Jacqueline Sander

Thank you for your honest feedback. As a small standalone community vs. a corporate community, our upfront fee is going to be higher so we can continue to keep up with the trends and bring new technologies to our members. With this in mind, we are the only community that allows this fee to be "partially refundable for up to 6 months" vs non-refundable regardless if you move in or not. Although we didn't meet your expectations, we do wish you all the best in your search and hope you find the perfect home for your loved one.

they have those extra touches

While we were looking for a location for our love one, we really did our homework on the different properties in the area. I have working in HR and healthcare for a number of years and I can say that everything here is going very well. This facility had some extra touches that set them apart from the others. It’s a smaller privately owned place and their food is homemade, except for their desserts since they do not have a pastry chef. For their food they have 3 choices for lunch and dinner and pretty anything at breakfast. They are very aware of the slice cutting because it takes affect to how others eat their food if they have trouble chewing. I also like how they have a tab of where she is. My only frustration, and it is very minimal, is that they have a washer and dryer (2 of each) on each floor. This is obviously not enough for all the tenants and sometimes you have someone’s clothes in there for 2 hours and you don’t want to touch anyone’s clothes. What also nice about this location is that they have a 1 car garage attached to the building that you can pull into to unload, load, drop off, or for in climate weather reasons. No one can stay in the garage, but I think it’s a nice touch. The facility is very clean which is very important to me, there are no strange odors, and it’s in a convenient location near my house.

Jacqueline Sander

Thank you for your thoughtful comments! We are happy to have your family a part of our community and we appreciate you sharing your experience with others! This is the first time we have heard of a frustration with our laundry rooms... but now thinking of it... we completely understand! Community living whether it be in a dorm room, apartment, or a community like ours, typically there is always a neighbor that leaves the laundry too long. We will take this opportunity to remind residents to be more mindful of their neighbors, and if this happens again, please just let one of our team members know! They will assist with removing items, and bringing them to their rightful home. Thank you again for letting us know!

A Great Place for Mom

The Birches was by far the best of the four facilities we visited. Not only did it look nice, we got the sense the people there truly cared about what they were doing and that it was more than just a job. We were utterly impressed by everything. Everyone we met was friendly, professional and caring. The staff took the time to listen to our needs and determine if their facility was the right one for my mom. The studio apartment we saw was perfect. It contained a kitchenette, a roomy living/sleeping area, and a spacious bathroom/shower with the required ADA fixtures. They had a wide range of activities for the residents to take part it in and the dining area looked better than those found in most hotels. We spoke with a number of the residents and they all spoke highly of the staff. After we decided on The Birches, the entire process went very smoothly. The contract was very straight forward and easy to understand and the staff immediately put my mom at ease when they met for her health evaluation. My mom has been there for about a month and all goes well. She has an emergency pager in case she needs help and the staff checks in on her regularly. The meals look good, taste delicious and care is taken to ensure they are nutritious and properly proportioned. The cable television provides a wide variety of programs and her room receives a proper cleaning once a week, all included in the monthly rent. We are very happy with our decision and you would be hard-pressed to find a facility better than this one. Highly recommended.

Fabulous place!!

This place has been nothing but wonderful to my father and I could not have picked a better living environment for him. They are attentive to all of his needs and make sure provide him with nothing but the best care. They are constantly finding ways to make life easier for him and proactive on issues he may have. The thing he is most impressed with is the meals. My dad has an option to choose an alternate meal if he is not liking what they serve and loves the hot breakfast they serve every morning. I highly recommend this place to anyone.

The Birches - It's all about the wonderful staff!

The Birches is a privately owned facility and their staff is OUTSTANDING!! From the front office friendly faces to the Director of Nursing, the Director of Encore, the activity directors, the aides, CNAs, RNAs, on-site physician, maintenance and restaurant employees...they are all TOP NOTCH. We couldn't have picked a better place for our loved one. Without question we know they are well-loved and well-cared for here. The gardens make for beautiful "changes of scenery", the activities are various, interesting and personal to the interests of the residents. There is happy hour, entertainment, monthly festivals, walking clubs, Rosary groups, bridge, beehives, gardening groups, crafts, prayer services, rides to church and stores and always something going on. It is a beautiful facility that feels like "home". Smiles, hugs and concern EVERYWHERE!!

In the western suburbs we researched and visited several of the newer, larger, more "upscale" facilities that appeared to have outstanding offerings. However, it is the small, friendly, family-oriented and personal touches that drew us in to the Birches. The Birches has very low staff turnover because their employees like to work there - and it shows!! They all know our "aging parent story" and the "medical issues" and couldn't be more gracious and caring. They know us by name, always cheerful greetings when we arrive and constantly recognize their residents with smiles, greetings, hand-holding or other personal recognition.

We experienced first hand The Birches' ability to help the family members transition through the phases of dealing with moving a parent from independent to assisted living, then to memory care, as professional, personal and graciously supportive in all ways.

Our second choice!!

The Birches Assisted Living was a wonderful place, it was our second choice. The thing we did not like was that they wanted to charge $8.50 per 15 minutes of care needed. It would have made it too hard to budget. Other than that, it was a very nice place.

Jacqueline Sander

Thank you for thinking of us, and we appreciate your feedback! We have considered 'package pricing' for many years to help with long term financial planning for future members, but our current members living with us prefer the ala-carte so they can 'save up' their money for when they need it. Should your first choice not work out, please feel free to let us know. We can individualize your pricing plan as a package (we have done this on occasion over the past 17 years) so you can have some comfort with your planning needs.

Just like home!

The Birches is a wonderful place to live. They have so many interesting activities and the food is outstanding. The staff really cares. When you become part of the family, everyone knows your name.

A Wonderful Place for Mom

The Birches is a wonderful place to live. Its not too big and all of the staff from the front desk, to the wonderful ladies in the dining room to the cleaning lady and the medical staff and the maintenance team are all special, caring people. Mom has been living here for over 4 years and she loves it and so do we. We know she is well taken care of in her beautiful apartment. She has made many new friends and participated in the many daily activities. The dining room provides exceptional cuisine and the choices are endless. Don't forget the desert tray at lunch and dinner... and then there's the holiday buffets which rival any major upscale restaurant around... Everyone who works here really helps to make newcomers feel welcome.

Very satisfied!

The entire staff are friendly, willing to help and concerned about if mom has everything she needs daily. The staff are dedicated to the residents. The head director knows you by name and can let you know how your loved one has been doing. The community is immaculate and the food is excellent. They have quite a few activities every afternoon. Mom has a garden with a water fountain outside her room. I would recommend this community as it was the best decision for us.

So far so good

So far so good.. Mom moved in mid February and is still in the adjustment process. The care and the food has been very good. The staff is very friendly and caring and has done all they could to help us all with the transition. My hope is that Mom will come to enjoy some of the activities that are offered with a little bit of encouragement.

Review of The Birches Assisted Living Alzheimer's / Memory Care in Clarendon Hills, IL

Small and cozy, but again geared towards assisted living and folks were very elderly.

Jacqueline Sander

Thank You for your great compliments! We value being small and cozy, and our experienced residents' average age upon move-in is 86. Majority of our residents do need some type of support even though some are still able to drive, go on outings, club meetings, etc. If you are looking for a more independent living community, we might not be the right fit, but we can point you in the right direction. We appreciate you taking the time to stop by.

Love the Birches!!

We just loved everyone at the Birches. Our family member lived at the Birches for the last few years of his life. We couldn't have been happier with all the care he received from the day we looked at it till the day he passed away. Everyone was so caring and compassionate! We could have not made a better choice, and we would definitely use them again and again as the need arises! A special THANKS goes to Jackie Foss the Assistant Director, she is so passionate about her job and the people in the Birches community! We miss seeing her! Our family member loved her like she was his own granddaughter! Thanks Jackie and the the entire Birches staff, Geno loved you all!

The BIrches is a a loving place for ...

The BIrches is a a loving place for your parents and loved ones to live. I liked the smaller size, my mom, my aunt never got lost in the crowd, every employee knew them and cared about their well being. Part of my heart is still at the Birches.

wonderful place

My mother Rose resided at The Birches for almost two years. From the owner to the cleaning people they were wonderful, caring, professional people. When I went to sleep at night I knew my mother was being cared for in a kind and caring way. We found The Birches to be a very friendly place where the residents all seemed to know one another almost as if it was a family. The food in the dining room was served as if in a fine restaurant and the food was great. We also loved dinning there with Mom. I would and I have recommended The Birches to four other families and I know they feel the same as I do. If I had to choose a place for myself in assisted living I know it would be The Birches.

Continuum of Care

The Birches provided a comfortable and safe environment for my mom. As her condition deteriorated, the staff and mangers worked with our family to provide appropriate changes in her continuum of care. As her needs changed, her care level was easily changed. Activities and opportunities for families to interact and participate with their loved ones are always made available.

Care at the Birches

I presently perform Physical Therapy evaluations/treatments for residents at the Birches through Adventist Health System.
The staff are always very professional and provide excellent care and service to their residents.
If a resident is having difficulty obtaining necessary items that he/she may need, the Birches always goes above/beyond in trying to meet the needs of the residents.
The staff is always very professional and helpful to me, as needed.

The Birches offers assisted living, independent living and Alzheimer’s care to seniors. Locally owned and offering a distinctivelifestyle in the neighborhood of Clarendon Hills. The Birches philosophy is to encourage our residents to maintain their level of independence for as long as possible and only when needed will we offer a customized service plan to assist with their activities of daily living. From the moment a resident moves into The Birches they are welcomed by friendly and caring staff who immediately become a fixture in their lives. Staff is available 24 hours a day and our state of the art emergency response call system will insure safety and security for the resident and peace of mind for our families. Residents also enjoy fun filled daily activities and quickly make new friends. The comfortable and pleasant surroundings at The Birches will soon become their home and a loving home.