Sweetgrass Court - Mount Pleasant, SC

Observations of a daily visitor

I am giving a poor review because of the many observations I have made on my daily visits at different times of the day.These are not positive observations. Everytime I go in the residents are placed in the TV room and they watch TV and not necessarily programs that enhance there mental capacities.I call it TV sitting. What individual enrichment is it they are suppose to get? Sorry I dont see it. I have had too many conferences and the result is empty promises.The aids are fine as long as corporate is there and Tiffany does her programs/which are wonderful. When corporate leaves its a whole different story. The schedule that is posted is not followed. There is plenty of motivational ng material available including DVD, musicals that get their feet tapping. I guess its easier to turn on the TV without any reguard to appropriateness.I asked an aid to cut my husbands nails which were long and dirty. She hands my tiny ladies clippers. I did specifically ask her to cut his nails/guess I wasnt specific enough. At 7:00 residents faces still had there dinner on their face.My opinion is week-ends are just more TV Aids are not n activity room [removed]. I see isolation of non verbal residents lined up by dining room. No supervision or encouragement to join a group.You dont ask residents if they want to join an activity-you encourage them-take them to the room and make every effort to engage them.

Five Star Reviews

Thank you for your feedback. We value your input and share your concern. To better serve you, we would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your experience. Our dedicated staff is committed to providing the utmost care and services to all residents. Your feedback helps us identify areas of opportunity for us to focus on as we strive to uphold and improve the quality of standards that each resident deserves.

Very nice memory care

They do a really exceptional job here, I'd give them top marks across the board. The facility itself is in very good condition, it is clean, well kept, and well decorated. The thing that impresses me most here is the individual attention they give to each of their residents. They're very personable, and obviously genuinely care about the people that they look after.

It was very disturbing.

It was overall clean, but there was a gentleman who was not well supervised, who was urinating in the corner, and it got progressively worse. They were very friendly. We had to remove my loved one for safety reasons. Despite having visited several times, we just didn't see what it really was. It was very disturbing. I don't feel like any of the clients were well supervised, all of the staff seemed to be preoccupied with housekeeping and medications, and the occasional activities, which when they did have them were really good. There was a really poor attentiveness to the residents. They were left to wander unsupervised for hours at the time. Safety was my biggest concern, when the staff was with the residents they were good. I don't think the activities were to the level of the functioning of the residents. I don't think there was enough individual attention. I chose it for the friendliness of the staff, I liked the resident to staff ratio, and we visited during activity times, and that seemed good. I didn't feel there was enough encouragement of the residents to go to bed. They didn't seem to be proactive with emergencies.

Immediately my first choice

The activities I think are going to be good. When my mom first entered the facility, she had hurt her back prior to going in so she hasn't really been able to get involved in the activities.
Sweetgrass is really a good place, they're trying to get her more involved in things but with my mother its difficult. They're not giving up, they're going to keep working with her. My mom's not a real social person, she hasn't been her whole life and she's kind of a challenge for them but they keep working and trying but their staff is really super nice. They have a small bus and they take peopel out once or twice a week, they go out to lunch, they visit different places, they go somewhere at least once a week and they have people that come into the place and play music and entertain them.

Great Activites but there are some safety issues

This is my [removed] I think they have a very good activities program and they're very conscious of what stimulates an elderly person. One thing that concerned me more is safety issues. My mom fractured her him. I've seen several other people with that same situation. She went to the hospital and the first night she was back she fell again. I've had to hire somebody to be in her room at night. When she broke her hip she was in the dining room and she had parked her walker outside because there wasn't enough room. That's my only issue but it's significant.

As far as the activites program, Sweetgrass is the best in the area. They have outings, song fests, picnics, cookouts. They really try to help the people feel a part of the community.

Welcome Home to Sweetgrass Court! We are dedicated to providing activity focused care in a supportive environment by well trained associates. We strive to focus on what our residents can achieve as opposed to what they can no longer achieve on their own. We offer assistance with all activities of daily living, and do so in an environment that is supportive of the loses that are part of living with a demanding illness. Our community is designed to have the look and feel of being in your own home. Complete with a living room with a fireplace, a family room, a piano room, two screened in porches and two outside courtyards, there are many places available for our residents to enjoy their day. We have a secure environment that keeps our residents safe at all times. Our Life Enrichment Program provides a variety of activities that meet the interests of our residents. Such activities include weekly outings, tours, meals at local restaurants, exercise, socials, pet therapy, religious services, and activities involving children from local schools. Our Family Support Program includes a monthly support group, educational offerings, and family events. Our leadership team is available to provide support to the friends and family member of our residents every day. Friends and family are a vital part of our caregiving team. At Sweetgrass Court, we understand and strive to meet the unique needs of our residents and those who care about them.