Brookdale Charleston - Charleston, SC

Brookdale Charleston - Charleston, SC has yet not published prices.

My husband and I loved Brookdale Charleston and believe it will be perfect for my mother. We are taking her there Friday for a visit. A couple of the residents gave great testimony of their experiences there as well. Will give more feedback after her visit!

Not excited about Brookdale. Clients in Memory Care all seemed to be very unresponsive to activities. I was not impressed with the atmosphere or the odors.

two story facility

While looking at the different options for my love one she actually didn’t like this place because it is a two story facility. They didn’t have any rooms available on the first floor so she wasn’t too keen on being on the second. This and the location of the facility are the reasons why we didn’t move forward with them.

Although I did not have a scheduled appointment, my husband and I visited Brookdale a day earlier than expected since we had just toured [Removed] and both facilities we're fairly close to each other. [Removed], their front desk receptionist was very kind and helpful and showed us around, as well as, showed us their studio model. The facility appeared to be clean, and beautifully decorated. Residents seem to be happy and one resident stopped us and told us how much she liked living at Brookdale (and that she had lived at 2 other facilities prior to this one). Since I had an appointment with [Removed] (the site manager) the following day to discuss what availability, fees, monthly rent, etc... we left and I looked forward to my meeting with [Removed]. However, when I returned the next day, the Assistant Manager met with me. She was pleasant but not terribly friendly. Being an owner of a business and hiring people to sell packages and memberships, I know a good personality to sell me. This gal did not how to sell me on this facility, at all, and gave me no specials or would negotiate on any of the fees. I was so turned off by her overall demeanor, I was done. The folks at [Removed] were so much more fun, welcoming and willing to work with us, they are who we picked.

Family members BEWARE

Do not send your loved ones here. If I could issue a warning to anyone, I would tell them to never send their family here. The nursing supervisor of the memory care side of the building, when my grandmother asked for help up to use the restroom, raised her voice to her and told her to "just pee in your diaper!" and refused to help her up. My grandmother had a care plan that was frequently not followed such as giving her assistance with showering and toileting, escorting her to meals and activities, helping with dressing, etc. These are the basic things that you expect people to follow and it's heartbreaking to find out that they aren't doing it and are [Removed] your family. Suddenly and without any known cause my grandmother suffered from extreme weakness and things that she was able to do the day before she was suddenly unable to do them. Instead of offer any advice or increased assistance they required her to have a private home health aide 24/7 - at our expense. We understand their situation and so we complied. Concerned for her health though we had her sent to the ER. While in the hospital the executive director issued my grandmother an immediate eviction and told us she was unable to return to Brookdale when she left the hospital. Suddenly and without warning an 87 year old woman in a wheelchair found herself homeless. THIS is how you can expect to be treated. THIS is the compassion level you will be given. Just Google the news articles about this facility and you'll see what else goes on behind closed doors. Just don't do it!"

A tour for care and options

I toured this community for my mom's care. We did like the staff who made you feel comfortable. The community was clean and they offered good meals. We wanted different care then what they wanted. We would recommend that families tour this care for the assistance for a loved one

Outstanding care

This is an excellent community. The staff is caring and attentive to my mom needs. The community is clean and we are happy to know that they offer healthy meals with a good variety. They have good activities to help my mom stay active I like knowing that she is getting great care with a good value. We would recommend this community for a good value for other families

I really liked this community it was very lovely. The staff was very professional on our tour. They took the time needed to explain things from pricing to activities and asked questions in regards to what my mother would need for levels of care. The community was well kept very clean and the residents that we saw seem to be happy.

Not A Community I Would Recommend

We did not have a good experience with this community. My husband was there for 3 days, and 4 nights. I was not the right fit for him, and his needs. This community needs some improvements overall. I would not recommend this community to anyone.

I took a tour!

I toured Brookdale Charleston during my search, and it was a good tour. Everyone was friendly and helpful.

Good care for family

This is a great community. The staff is very helpful and they keep us informed on his progress. The community is clean and has a nice environment and it is very comfortable outside to enjoy on our visits. The meals are good and he is enjoying everything. He is offered activities but does not get too involved. We are happy to see him getting good care at this community. We do recommend this community to others looking for a good value and good care.

Supervision was not good.

My husband was moved into Brookdale on Wednesday March 1 2017. On my visit today Saturday I noticed that none of the staff was around on the floor when I was ready to leave. Finally a young lady came out of one of the rooms and let me out and people waiting to get in. There was no supervision on the floor where most of the people were sitting. I wanted to ask a few questions but no one was around after lunch was over.

My tour

This community was a little larger than we were looking for. The staff we met were nice and helpful. They offered daily activities and the community seemed clean.

Great community. Mom would have had to be on the second floor to get the type of room she wanted. Dad did not want to do that. The rooms were very bright and roomy.

Not Secure Enough for My Mother

I toured this community for my mother and her needs. Everything went well for the most part. One of the main things I was looking for in a community for my mother, was how secure it was. I needed to know she was safe and not able to get out the community whenever she wants too. This community was not secure, and it wouldn't be a good fit for my mother and her needs.

Not the right impression!

The community was very nice. Brooke the lady that gave us the tour was nice and super helpful and friendly. The residents were not even dressed to go to lunch and I did like that. The place just did not give the good impression.

A tour to remember

My tour was nice here. The staff was nice and answered my questions. The food was delicious. They had alot of great activities for evryone who was willing to participate. The community is very clean and maintained. I would suggest families to see this community for care for a loved one.

Good Care to consider.

This community is nice and clean. I was not always happy with the staff members here. They did offer activities to those who wanted to participate to stay active. I think family should look at the community before making a decision .

Physical therapy is amazing !!

It is a great dinning experience and comfortable living at this community. They have a great physical therapy program that has helped my love one improve everyday. I was not happy that there was some confusion between the staff on services I had paid for that where not given to mother as promised.

Wonderful place!

My mom is doing well at Brookdale Charleston. The staff are very friendly and do a good job caring for my mom. My mom enjoys all of the activities offered and partakes in many. The staff could do a better job communicated more often to the family. I would like to see Brookdale improve the variety of food offered. The community cook benefit from offering substitute meats for vegetarian options like vegetarian sausage.

We were very impressed with Brookdale Charleston. Janet [removed] provided a very complete tour of the community and answered all our questions and concerns. What impressed us most about Brookdale was the atmosphere: bright, upbeat and with so many enjoyable activities available for the residents. This is difficult to define, but the residents appeared happier and more involved at this facility than others we toured. We also thought it was nice that their hair salon was open 4 days a week, giving the residents more options and opportunity to make use of the service than other facilities that had salon services only one or two days a week. We had really good feelings about the quality and care provided at Brookdale. We also liked Brookdale's proximity to Bon Secours Hospital.

So Far So Good.

Moved Mom into Brookdale not too long ago and everything is going positively well. The staff have been very pleasant and Mom is happy. She's participated in many activities since moving in which she enjoys and they even have weekend activities for the residents. So as long as Mom's happy I'm happy and she has no complaints.

Review of Brookdale Charleston - Charleston, SC

Johns location cost ok no Medicaid

Toured

Pleasant experience

I have 2 parents at the Horizon Bay Charleston. One is in assisted living and the other is in the Alzheimer's unit. The assisted living area seems extremely nice. They are organized about personal care. The meals seem nice. The Alzheimer's unit is caring but they do seem short staffed sometimes. They do a good job. Overall, it was a pleasant experience. From what I had seen, the care and the cleanliness is far better than the other places.

It was a beautiful facility. Staff and residents very friendly.
We loved it.

Look elsewhere if you want proper care

We placed my mother in law in the memory care unit recently. We were not happy with the care received and moved her to another facility after about 6 weeks. The marketing person made it sound wonderful but the reality is it is a warehouse for old folks. My main issue with this facility is that it lacks proper supervision of the caretakers that work here. Each time I visited, the residents were all sitting around the living room area and the caretakers were in another room talking to each other. There was never anyone at the nurses station which sits in the middle of the unit for viewing the entire operation. Lack of communication was another big issue. One day we noticed a big bump and scratch on Moms forehead and asked what happened. No one knew when or how it happened. We got answers like "it didn't happen on my shift." Apparently, there is little or no communication between the shifts. So we sat down with the administration to discuss these issues and we were promised a weekly call to discuss Moms progress. Well, guess what....the first weekly call was not made to us. Each time we would visit mom either did not have her glasses or false teeth. When we asked about them they had a bag full of glasses & teeth for us to look through. We found her glasses but she left this facility without her false teeth & they were never found. The doctor ordered compression socks for mom. When we asked why they were not put on mom, the staff said "she said no" and because of "Patients Rights", they could not put them on her. Seems like they hide behind "Patients Rights" to make their jobs easier. Bottom line, look for another facility for your loved one....you will pay more, but the care will be better.

Horizon Bay was very nice. ...

Horizon Bay was very nice. The people were very nice. Out of the 4 tours we did, Horizon was the least expensive, but we decided on a facility that was closer to where we will be moving.

Adequate but a notch below ...

Adequate but a notch below Ashley Park.

Very friendly and caring staff

The staff here really are outstanding, they're very very friendly, great at cooperating with families, and they really go out of their way to make sure all of their residents feel at home. The facility itself is always clean and nice looking, and there is always plenty going on to keep everyone active and entertained!

Liked It

We liked it just the same as the community that we ended up choosing, but the other community had better timing when we needed something right away. The staff was friendly and I think that they would have received good care at Horizon Bay.

Out of 5 I give them a 6, I recommend it to anybody!

Daddy's in the memory unit, before he was in the memory unit he was ruminating thinking he was back in WWII and thought he went AWOL. The memory unit is called Clarebridge, he has his own room, he is happy as a clam, he doesn't talk about the military and the other people who are with him are just as sweet as can be. He goes to lunch now with other people and they go to red lobster, applebees, mexican... all that. They have great activities and in fact, I'm helping with the Halloween party. Everybody tolerates my dad, my dad is the dad that goes into other people's rooms and sleeps in other peoples beds but they're all so sweet about it. The rooms have their own thermostats and in the dining room the men wear these vests, not a bib, to catch the food and they have a lot of things they can do if they want. Everybody gets to know you and every second Sunday I take the epopel who work with daddy baked goods and things like that, I can rest at night and they're taking care of daddy, it's important. Janet was so nice and everybody bent over backwards.

Turned off by resident-staff interaction

it was going to be my second choice, it's literally around the corner from my house but then it had some things about it I didn't care for. It's kind of run down, the carpeting on the floor was very stained and the staff there just stood around like they didn't really care about what they were doing and I was going to go back and visit again because I thought it was just a weird down and I was really turned off by what I saw of it. It was dinner time and the staff, when they were feeding the residents really turtned me off by the way they were interacting with them.

Visited here about a year a...

Visited here about a year ago...was not impressed with the activity - seemed like Mom wasn't ready for this confining level yet. Did not keep price info. May need to revisit if we cannot figure out a way to afford Summerville Estates

Horizon Bay is an assisted ...

Horizon Bay is an assisted living and memory care facility. We toured this establishment on Wednesday August 14th. Within minutes of our arrival, Janet Aldridge greeted us and we commenced the tour. This place is quite large and has 2 floors. We started on the first floor. There are basically no hallways for residents to get lost or turned around in. All the rooms seem to face a large open area so as soon as a door is opened a person can see where they are with no hallways to look at. It is very well appointed, with nice furniture, airy, pretty quiet and quite clean. The staff on the first floor all seemed to be in good spirits, with lots of smiles. The rooms we saw were fairly spacious and nicely furnished. Residents can decorate however they want. A television is not provided but there are no cost Comcast hookups. Overall the first floor and part of the second were very nice. Also on the second floor is an area (it is called Brookdale) for the residents with memory problems. This area is behind locked doors, and as soon as one enters, the lower quality of the furnishings and general look of this area becomes apparent. It is not nearly as 'palatable' as the first floor. This is not to assume that the care given here is of any less quality as in other areas, but the physical impression of Brookdale leads one to think that. I did not see any prices listed for the assisted living area, but prices in Brookdale are $4600 for a private studio and 3900 for a shared studio. I am not sure what constitutes 'assisted living' but it appears to be what is catered to here. My wife is a heart attack/stroke victim and has lost a lot of control of her body (she is incontinent) and mind. I did not see or hear one mention of the word incontinence...and I forgot to ask. Anyway, I came away with an overall good impression of Horizon Bay, but the Brookdale area was a let-down. Respite is available at a flat rate of $165.00 per day, but the minimum is 14 days, which makes this feature quite expensive, at least for me.

Horrible communication

The communication is terrible, there is no communication between the managers and the workers. In other words, I will go to the director of nursing saying things need to be done and they put it in their little computer and I go to the workers and they say they've never heard anything about it. I know personally from my loved ones room, I walk in there and his pajamas are on the chair, they're dirty, the sheets that are wet from the night before are on the chair, trash is not picked up like I was told it would be. My loved one is still there and I'm hoping things will improive, everytime I move them it seems liek things will take a turn for the worse. I tell them to not ask my loved one if they want to go eat, just go ahead and take them there, that's another thing they told me they would do and aren't. I went there specifically because it was a nice looking facility and they had good activities but it's not what I thought it would be.

Friendly and professional staff

I liked the way Horizon Bay is set up. The Building Care Unit is a rectangle with rooms on the outside and everything else is in the middle. The residents can also go outside and wander around the property on enclosed paths. The people there are good, friendly, and professional.

Finally Pleased

Moved my mom in a few days ago and it was like moving in to an apartment. Had a really home like feeling. Was not like she was moving in to a hospital type setting. The food is really good and there is a big variety to pick from. The location is in a quiet setting with nice views. The surrounding area has nearby doctors and hospital.

Very nice facility. Manager was infor...

Very nice facility. Manager was informative and friendly.

absolutely the most beautiful place i...

absolutely the most beautiful place ive seen yet.however very exspensive.

Brookdale provides a full range of choices for today's seniors. Choosing a senior living community represents a lifestyle choice and we understand that our residents are choosing much more than a comfortable living environment to call home. Our Brookdale community delivers Inspired Independent Living, with the promise of Exceptional Experiences Everyday. In choosing this community, our residents have made a conscious lifestyle decision designed to deliver enhanced opportunities for pursuing health and life fulfillment through the exceptional services, amenities and opportunities we offer. And, our residents can rest assured that as their needs change we provide a variety of ancillary services and a Personalized Assisted Living environment that encourages our residents to continue to live as they please while respecting individual preferences.

City info

Charleston, South Carolina is the home of Brookdale Charleston assisted living facility. It is the largest city in South Carolina and boasts warm summers and temperate winters. Living in the city requires a car for most errands. There are abundant resources for Veterans in Charleston. - Charleston, South Carolina is the home of the Brookdale Charleston assisted living facility. Charleston is the oldest city in South Carolina, located on the Charleston Harbor, which is off of the Atlantic Ocean. Brookdale Charleston Assisted Living is located northwest of the city center in the West Ashley neighborhood. - With a population near 400,000 in greater Charleston County, Charleston is also the largest city in the state of South Carolina. - Walkscore.com gives Charleston a walkability score of 40, as residents require a car for most daily errands. - The median age in Charleston County is 37.1, which is below the state average, but roughly on par with that of the country as a whole. - There are 10 senior assisted living communities in Charleston. - Brookdale Charleston is nestled in a climate that is warmer than the country's average. The average annual high temperature is 76.1 degrees Fahrenheit, and the average annual low temperature is 55.6 degrees Fahrenheit. Charleston, South Carolina gets an average of 51.06 inches of rain per year, while the annual cumulative snowfall is negligible. The hottest month of the year is July with an average high of 91 degrees Fahrenheit, and an average low of 73 degrees Fahrenheit. The coolest month of the year is January with an average high of 59 degrees Fahrenheit and an average low of 38 degrees Fahrenheit. August gets the most rain, with an average of 7.17 inches of rain annually. - There are multiple services available to Veterans in Charleston. - The Ralph H. Johnson VA Medical Center is located in the city center, and it is open 24 hours a day, and 7 days a week. - The Charleston Vet Center is operational Monday - Friday, and every 2nd Saturday of the month. The Vet Center offers a stress management music class on Mondays, a support group for significant others on every other Tuesday, a weight management program for Veterans and their spouses on Wednesdays, and chair yoga on Fridays. On Thursdays, there is a counselor available at the Santee Family Health in McClellanville, South Carolina. Additionally, there is a guitar playing program for Veterans that is scheduled by the instructor. - The Veterans Affairs Office is located in North Charleston and is open Monday - Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Transportation

Charleston has a number of options available for public transportation, as well as private transportation entities. - The Charleston Area Regional Transportation Authority, or CARTA, provides bus routes, express routes, as well as a Tell-A-Ride service. - The CARTA website provides up-to-date delays and alerts, trip planning, bus tracking, and next stop times. - Standard fare is $2.00, transfers are $.50, and express routes are $3.50 for one-way trips. Riders with disabilities ride for $.75 all day, every day with a valid CARTA disability card. Seniors 55 and older get 50% off during non-peak hours. Non-Peak Hours are from 9am-3:30 pm and after 6 pm on Monday through Friday, as well as all day on Saturday and Sunday, in addition to the holidays. - Charleston has an Amtrak train station that offers routes all over the country. - There are also multiple Taxi services in the city: Charleston Cab Company, Yellow Cab of Charleston, and Charleston Green Taxi. - Rideshares are also available through Uber and Lyft, as well as a bike share program called Holy Spokes.

Health and Safety

There are a number of hospitals in the Charleston area, including a teaching hospital as well as a VA hospital. Crime is above average in Charleston, but some areas are much safer than others. - Charleston is home to many different hospitals, one of which has already been mentioned - the Ralph H. Johnson VA Medical Center. - The teaching hospital, Medical University of South Carolina Hospital, is located downtown right on the harbor. A division of MUSC Hospital, MUSC Health West Ashley Medical Pavilion, is located close to Brookdale Charleston. - Bon Secours St. Francis Hospital is also located fairly close to Brookdale Charleston. - While Charleston as a whole has a higher than average crime rate for a city its size, the U.S. News ranks it #27 on its list of best places to live. - Downtown Charleston has a low crime rate, but the airport and surrounding area, as well as North Charleston, drive up the average.

Sports and leisure

Charleston is an active, outdoor afficianado's dream. - Charleston, South Carolina is a golfer's paradise. Not only are there an abundance of courses, but they are gorgeous well-maintained properties. - Here are just a few of the many golf offerings to choose from in the Charleston area: Ocean at Kiawah Island Resort, Shadowmoss Plantation Golf Club, and Links at Wild Dunes Golf Links. - Charleston is also home to many tennis clubs and courts. Here are a few: Charleston Tennis Center, Maybank Tennis Center, Family Circle Tennis Center. - There are many gyms in West Ashley conveniently located to Brookdale Charleston. - Some are: Curves, Little Gym of West Ashley, and Chucktown Fitness.

Shopping and entertainment

There are many shopping options in Charleston, both local and chains. The city is a foodie's dream and a tourist haven. - A horse-drawn carriage tour is a must for anyone unfamiliar with the great city of Charleston. - There are several malls to choose from: the Citadel Mall, the Northwoods Mall, and the Tanger Outlets Charleston. - Downtown has plenty of local shopping, including an open air market, full of various vendors. - When in Charleston, trying the local cuisine is a must.

Religious facilities

There are many historic churches to be found in Charleston. - A few churches are: St. Phillip's Episcopal Church, St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church, and Unitarian Church in Charleston.