Sunrise at Mount Vernon - Alexandria, VA

Enjoyed being there

Mom enjoyed the amenities when she lived here. Mom was comfortable here. She felt uncomfortable with not being able to find out what happened to her friends when they were no longer at the community. The food was good and the activities were ok. She did have an issue with not knowing if some of the chairs were cleaned before she sat in them during the activities. I would recommend this community.

Mom's Great Care

This is a excellent community for my mom. The staff is outstanding and caring. The menu is very good. The menu is very good. I like knowing that the is active with a lot of the activities daily. We are happy that she is making friends and does like the care she is getting. We would recommend this commuinty for the good care and value for other families.

Very Nice Tour

I had a very nice tour of this community. Everything went well. The staff was very friendly, and kind.They were informative, and my questions were answered. The community for what I saw looked well-kept, and clean. It was a very nice experience.

All That Glitters Is NOT Gold

Sunrise at Mount Vernon is an Assisted Living facility with many operational issues and problems. The care staff are untrained, the food served to the residents is cold and unappetizing, bed linens are unchanged, and there are ongoing problems with the administration of medication. The sales staff, of course, describe a much different picture. The facility may look pretty but as the old saying goes, "all that glitters is not gold." Additionally, this facility has been recently cited for serious violations by the Virginia Department of Social Services (DSS). I encourage you to thoroughly investigate this facility before moving a loved one there.

Good Experience During My Tour, But to Far for Us

This is a nice community, and my tour went very well. The community looked great from what I saw. Everything appeared to be nice and clean. The staff was friendly and nice. My questions were answered, they were informative. The community was just to far for us to travel. It was a nice experience.

Warm staff, lots of activities, nice surroundings

Great food

Most important to us was the food quality. It is great. Fresh fruit and veggies every day. Great staff, very easy to work with and they treat my loved one as a member of their family.

A Fair Tour

I was not pleased with this community and what they had to offer. It wasn't the right community for my sister. The people were nice and friendly, also the staff was kind. It is a nice clean facility. The residents were an older then my sister, so I didn't feel she would relate with them. It was a fair tour with nice people.

Very nice place, overall

Overall our experience with Sunrise at Mount Vernon has been a good one! The new director here is obviously putting in a lot of effort, and doing a great job overall! The staff here is very friendly, and for the most part they take great care of the people who live here. I will say that I've noticed a few issues with inconsistent staffing. There have been a few times since our loved one moved in that they weren't able to schedule sufficient staff over the weekend. However, they're very responsive and accommodating to any complaints or suggestions you have, so hopefully they'll get the staffing issue worked out.

Mislead

I feel like we were mislead at first about the cost on medication management. In their hand out it says they charge 14$ a day for medication management. What they don't tell you is that its only for 7 medications. They didn't go into any details. I feel like the food is good but the service needs improvement. The accounting department can't get the bills right. Other than that, my mother is happy there. The people are friendly. The facility is bright and cheery.

Sunrise Senior Living

Please know we take all concerns seriously and would like to learn more about your experience. Please email us at Information(at)SunriseSeniorLiving(dot)com. Thank you, Sunrise Team

Sunrise Senior Living

Everything that we needed

The Sunrise at Mount Vernon is Everything that we needed and we are very pleased that we found it. This facility is very nice. It is always clean. Everyone here is friendly and kind. They offer a variety of activities.

Nice place, overall

My loved one has only been here a short time but so far our experience with Sunrise at Mount Vernon has been a good one. The staff seem friendly and professional, and the facility itself is well kept and clean.

Well it went pretty well b...

Well it went pretty well but will not be the place for my parents. No parking, There is parking behind and far on the side and in the street! No ovens , and no toaster ovens allowed. The rooms are smaller and there is less closet space. And there is basically no kitchen/ living space. In the two bedrooms, people use the second room as a den. No closet in there. That room by the way was $185 per day! So that is over 5,000 per month. Lots of services and extra of course for everything. Medication management is more affordable for Dad for instance when he will need someone to measure and give him insulin. But as far as room size they would be really unhappy with no option to cook in the room

Sunrise Mount Vernon Disappointment in Care

My Father was here about 9 years ago in the dementia area. The marketing person was great and claimed her Mother was a resident here, but I am not convinced this was true. A garden is here for the residents, but they never once made any effort to take my Father outside to it. My Father had pneumonia and even though his physician called the Facility to OK an antibiotic to be started that night after I picked it up from CVS, Sunrise did not follow his orders claiming the nurse had gone home for the day. Later in his stay he fell, but it was never reported to me until many days later when the yellow bruising was questioned. The evening staff could not wait to clear the dinner tables and put the residents in his area to bed. There is a large intake fee of around $5,000 which in theory goes to painting and care which is non-refundable and to be added to the first month's rent. I had also looked at Sunrise's Springfield location and wondered how the those on the upper floor with dementia could get out if ever a fire. Sunrise has taken on the Fairfax as well and when I recently visited there in October 2013, I could not speak with anyone in regard to my Mother now needing a location because of an internal meeting and it took 2 days to ever get a return call. The moral of the story is not to choose a facility based on design architecture alone. I cannot recommend Sunrise ever!

The tour was great and I really liked...

The tour was great and I really liked what they had to say, but they didn't have anybody there that day who could talk to me about the price. I went to use one of their bathrooms in the dining room and it smelled horrendous, it was the same kind of smell as wehen you walked into the facility, you could smell it right when you walked in the door. I don't know if someone had had an accident that day or what. Besides the smell, which could have just been ranodm that day, it was better than the other Sunrise. It was more sunny, more open, the residents seemed happier, a bunch of them were going to a movie and they have this set up where a person is assigned to a group of people to make it more personal. It sounded like they had a pretty decent set up but I had a feeling it was going to be expensive because of the price of the other Sunrise.

My visit was extremely plesant. Very ...

My visit was extremely plesant. Very informative. I was impressed with the environment.