Sunrise At Reston Town Center - Reston, VA

Tour for care

We toured this community. The menu seemed to be appealing. The community was clean and it was a nice atmosphere. They have a nice feeling with this community. We were happy with the community tour and recommend this community to other families

I was very impressed with the facility and staff at Sunrise Reston. Probably the most impressive fact is the length of tenure many (+60%) of the staff is over 5 years with a significant percentage over 10 years.

close to family and to hospital services

We were impressed by the extent of services offered and the staff attitudes which were very professional. We were able to work out all moms care in a location that is close to a hospital and to family residences.

Very nice facility--great location. The staff has been very helpful as we are moving in.

DON'T DO IT!!!!

Worst place ever!!! I BEG of you to not place your loved one here!! My mother has had to wait over an hour and a half after hitting her "call button" for a response on numerous occasions. The first time was on her very first night there, she fell out of her bed, layed on the floor for over an hour to wait for help. UNACCEPTABLE!!! This is the normal response time.

Food is absolute garbage. Staff is very incompetent. Overall one of the worst facilities I've seen. I've had my mother in a few facilities. My mom is a stroke patient and needs less care than some that I've seen in this facility. She's paralyzed on her left side so she needs a hand. I live very close so I visit every day. I feel sorry for the ones who live here and have no family to "stick up" for them. Horrible experience overall.

Communication with the "higher ups"....good luck!! It took almost a month to get a response.

I guess my point is...don't send your loved one here. I explored all the local facilities. This was unfortunately the best available. We've only been here a month and my mother has had way too many issues to post about.

For the amount of money charged for a "level of care"...it's a complete joke.

If you have the time and money...keep searching, don't listen to the staff that gets you into these places because I can assure you...after you meet and sign that contract, you'll never see "them" again.

Sunrise Senior Living

We’re sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience. We care deeply about the safety and well-being of our residents and staff. Please contact us at information (at) sunriseseniorliving.com so that we can learn more. –The Sunrise Team

Unhappy in Reston

Maria is never available. She is never in her office and never returns phone calls. Very poorly run! Extremely unhappy at this particular Sunrise.

Sunrise Senior Living

Thank you for your review. We take all concerns seriously and are sorry to hear you have not been pleased with your experience at Sunrise. We'd like to learn more. Please email us at Information (at) SunriseSeniorLiving (dot) com so we may follow up.

Not happy

I have had a loved one in this facility for over a year now and I concur with a couple of the other reviewers. Many improvements are needed. When I signed up to bring my loved one to the facility, I was misled about so many things but the two things are the care and pricing. Jean, the head of Wellness should not be dealing with the public as she is a very unfriendly person. The Executive Director just hides and smiles and always seems to turn their issue back around on your loved one as if that is going to appease people - to blame them rather than correct their problem. Three times over the last month, my loved one pressed the alarm button and no one ever came to help. This is totally unacceptable. This place only seems interested in how much money they can charge for services they don't provide.. The food is tasteless and when my loved one, who will eat most anything complains, I know it's bad. I've eaten at 3 Assisted Living facilities and this is way below even cafeteria food. The location of the facility is great but I am currently looking for a better solution. This place is just not cutting it.

Sunrise Senior Living

Thank you for sharing a review. Please know we take all concerns seriously and would like to learn if you feel there is other room for improvement so we can address. Please email us at Information(at)SunriseSeniorLiving(dot)com. Thank you! Sunrise Team

Frustrated

My mother was in the Reston Sunrise for 2 1/2 weeks and it was not a good experience for her or myself. There were few if any activities for residents that are alert and would enjoy some stimulation. In fact, there was nothing offered and when you walk into the building you see many residents just sitting there. The ones who are capable of doing things are usually in their rooms watching tv because there is nothing for them.for them. My mother who had moved from a Sunrise in NJ , where she was very happy was extremely unhappy. She has since left Reston and now resides in the Fair Oaks Sunrise where she has been for the last 2 weeks and is very happy.
When I received my final bill, there were some things that I did not understand. Maria [removed] was called into the sales office and told me that we were accidentally billed for Living Plus 3 which simply means that the resident receives assistance for showering, getting dressed and using the facilities. She acknowledged that this was a mistake and would be taken off the bill. When I received the corrected copy, it had not been taken off. I then spoke to Kara Le who is in charge of billing and was told that she could not take it off without Maria's approval. After 4 days of calling and leaving voice mails, she once tried to returned my call, but unfortunately my phone put her directly to my voice mail. On two occasions I called at least 5 times, after 4 days of frustration, on Thursday 2/4 I went there and once again she could not be located in the building. Jean, the Wellness woman on the third floor tried to tell me that my mom had received Living Plus 3 assistance, which was not true and confirmed by the Fair Oaks Sunrise where she does not receive that help. I told Janet in the Sales office that all I wanted to do was to pay my bill, but no one was willing to assist me. Eventually, Kara did take off all the incorrect charges and I paid my bill.
I am so relieved that my mom is out of there and that I do not have to deal with them again. Maria [removed], does not do her job correctly and has no skills at relating to people and avoids dealing with any problems that may occur. No one in the building could even locate her when I called.
This was an extremely frustrating experience dealing with most of the people at the Reston Sunrise. Janet in sales and Amber in the main office were the two exceptions in my experience at Reston.

Sunrise Senior Living

Thank you for your review. We take all concerns seriously and we are sorry to hear you that you have not been pleased with your experience at Sunrise. We'd like to learn more, please email us at Information (at) SunriseSeniorLiving (dot) com. Thank you, Sunrise Team.

Corporate-wake up! Reston facility needs ur attention!!!

My family and I are very dissatisfied with Sunrise Senior Living in Reston, VA. It's a beautiful facility which initially attracted us. However, so many of the staff, from management, to aides, even kitchen servers are curt and not welcoming, which you so want for your loved one. We have experienced staff not responding to the "fail proof" new alert system, failure to distribute medications accurately - despite repeated meetings and phone calls and written instructions, and now parking has been made impossible! They have removed all parking spots for visitors and require you find street parking, if available! And to make matters worse, the food is awful. For the exhorbitant amount of money we shell out for care, I surely wished we would have investigated more carefully other facilities as now, with our relative uncomfortable with change, it would be too disruptive - and they know it! I advise everyone to not only visit many facilities, but interview the residents and their family members for an accurate assessment. Don't go on outside beauty of the facility or hearsay. It's so frustrating for us since we fear our loved one will get even worse treatment if we complain to corporate so we choose to keep this review anonymous.

Sunrise Senior Living

We are sorry to hear about your experience and would like to learn more. Please know we take all concerns seriously; we ask that you email us at Information (at) SunriseSeniorLiving (dot) com with further details so we can follow up. Thank you, Sunrise Team

Mixed experience

Our experience with Sunrise at Reston Town Center has been somewhat mixed. The facility itself is nice, and always very clean, and the staff seem friendly for the most part. However, I think they could be more attentive when it comes to the day to day changes in the behavior of their residents. I ended up needing to take my loved one in to the emergency room based on some behavioral changes that they hadn't noticed until I visited.

Good staff for memory care patients

I had my mother in the memory care unit, and I think that they had a good number of caregivers who were very caring. I think the staff obviously had training with dementia and they did really well with my mother in the time that she was there.

The facility is nice and clean with larger rooms with big windows. It is located near the hospital and many doctor offices. the staff is very and knowledgeable.

Review of Sunrise At Reston Town Center Alzheimer's / Memory Care in Reston, VA

I liked this community very much and felt that it will certainly be considered as one of the options. Lisa was great and provided a wealth of information. Location is good.

Two views

The staff in the memory care unit is wonderful, I would highly recommend any of them. However it seems the management is always after your money, saying that they need to switch roommates when they know that they don't get along and then saying you need to get a private room at a higher price.

It really is a very nice facility, and we visited about six or seven.

It's an older facility, and there are areas where some of the carpeting could be replaced in the elevator, and things like that, but they keep it pretty well clean otherwise. The staff has been very friendly with the family, and it's sort of mixed with my loved one, of course. There is some confusion with the care services, but that could be on a communication issue on our loved ones' part. The chef has spoken to her about specific things she likes, and there have been a few meals she has really liked a lot. It really is a very nice facility, and we visited about six or seven.

Short term memory guard system

This was slightly smaller than the other Sunrise and while they did have the wander guard system, they seemed reluctant to use it for an individual past the initial beginning stages. We wanted her to have it for as long as she was there, however long that may have been.

Meal service needs improvement

They need to provide better service at meals. My dad moved here to assisted living and I feel like this is more of a cafeteria and not a dining room. One menu is provided per table, they don't ask the people what they want, they just bring out this huge tray of food. My dad has eating issues so he would eat more than one meal; I've seen a woman who finished her meal and they came back and asked her if she wanted something more. My dad was supposed to get fruit for dessert and it was never offered, it is now, but they would bring out these HUGE dessert trays and just let them chose. I'm not really happy with the dining and the way meals are being served. I don't think I would ever eat here, all of the food comes already on the plate, covered in plastic, so it's been sitting for some time, it's not always hot. Meals are probably the highest point of my dad's day, he's hearing and seeing impared so he can't really participate in the activities.
I feel like, when I've had to deal with all the "big people" (Executive director, marketing people, the director of assisted living...) all of them have been great and I feel like they listen and I know when I ask for changes for my dad I've gotten them. It's a really big job and they have a lot of people and they do a good job.

Very friendly staff. Clean and very ...

Very friendly staff. Clean and very homey. Residents appeared engaged. Different levels of assisted living. Could provide appropriate supervision for her. Private suite available if she qualifies for assisted living.