Brookdale Sterling - Sterling, VA

Good Tour of This Community

My wife, and I had a nice tour of this community. Everyone was kind, and welcoming to us. The community was nice, and clean from what we saw. The staff was informative, and our questions were answered. The experience went well, and our tour was a good one.

Kindness and value

This is a nice community for the care of a loved one. We found that the staff was helpful and nice. We liked seeing the residents who seemed social. We liked the activities and the nice menu of meals that are provided. We would recommend this community for the care of loved one.

Brookdale Sterling was nice but seemed a little institutional. Staff seemed to be caring and to know all residents. Facilities were a little older compared to the other places I visited.

Respite Services

I had a close friend of my mother's needing some short term care following an extended illness which left her weak and needing some "TLC" and medication oversight. She was recommended Brookdale Sterling by the rehab next door which shares the same parking lot (2 different companies) for respite services.
The community is pleasant, clean and conveniently located to both me which allowed me to visit frequently.
I understood that all fees for the respite stay were inclusive and the apartment was already furnished as well. This made the transition from the rehab to the community very easy.
I will have to say the community is light on activities, or at least it appears that way.....not much happening during the times I was there but overall I was pleased with how the situation turned out. My mother's friend got well enough to go home and even picked up a few pounds while there.
I would refer this community for a short term stay. I'm not sure how long term residency works.

We were not happy with my mother's care when she stayed at their attached rehab facility (on the same property, different name). Rehab was excellent, but unfortunately, the way the certified nursing assistants handled her and her fears means we'll never trust a Brookdale establishment ever again.

One or two CNAs made her stay a living nightmare, and even after complaining, and empty promises it would never happen again, they were repeatedly assigned to her, resulting in night terrors and a visible decline in her mental stability. These issues cleared up once we transferred her to another facility. I'd like to add, my mother was a nurse earlier in her life, and knew exactly what was going on -- and she was livid.

Met our Needs

Great little community.
Newer Executive Director, however she has been with the company in a different role for several years.

Community appears to be getting a little "facelift" as some added touches to common area spaces are look nicer than we moved in.

Staff friendly, kind and generous. Again, newer Care Director but she too was part of the nursing team prior and has been in the community supervising.

Food is good as far as facility food goes.

If asked, yes we would pick this community again.

Hostile servers

Hello everyone PLEASE READ MY REVIEW.
In this place Everyone seems to be nice. Except the SERVERS they are always complaining about the residents they will treat your loved ones they will scream at them, and talk bud things about them.

Don't go there!

I have been involved in many decisions for skilled care facilities for loved ones. I have worked in many care facilities as well as served on my local Ombudsman committee to investigate senior facilities. Going into this facility, we thought it was the best decision for my mother as a decision was made quickly upon her release from skilled care rehabilitation for a surgically repaired broken femur. This is the case for most families when loved ones cannot return home after a traumatic health event.

The room was spacious and the staff was warm and welcoming during the initial tour. Upon moving in, everything changed. Less than adequate staff/patient ratio with only 4 medical staff/1000+ beds. Even though her apartment was right next to the nurses station, she was left unattended for hours on end. We paid additional money to have her checked every 2 hours. The facility was aware she was a fall risk as she was still recuperating from her surgery. After 4 falls, the last one left her with a fractured vertebrae in her back. In extreme pain and now confined to a wheelchair, my mother is a mere shadow of what she was upon admission in just 2 short months. When her demeanor changed drastically, we suspected a UTI. It took them 2 weeks to get a urinalysis to confirm our suspicions. Even at that point, my sister had to step in to help them collect the specimen because they were unable to. Her dementia has advanced more quickly due to the pain and infection she suffered [removed].

Their lack of concern and care is unfathomable for an assisted living facility. I know Brookdale is a huge conglomerate but they need to pay more attention to the patients instead of their stock price because all lives matter. What looks good from the outside and upon initial tour of the facility is a deception. Do not consider this facility if you care about your loved one.

wasn't the right place for her long term

They were wonderful at Brookdale Sterling. Mom was in here for respite care. It wasn't the right place for her long term. The scale of the patients mental health just wasn't a right fit for her but it was exactly what she needed for respite care. It gave her a feel for how things go at a facility like this. Mom has a complicated medical case and the staff just did a phenomenal at managing her care. They made mom feel empowered at being able to handle it herself while at the same time being very helpful and caring. They really helped her be independent. I will say the whole time she was there the transportation bus was out of order and she ended up having to pay a cab to make it to an appointment. The staff just didn't really do a good job helping her with this situation.

Services have gone downhill

There has been an extreme turnover in staff since my parent has been there, and they have been very slow to replace vacant positions. No activities coordinator for many months.
Staff is not as responsive as they used to be, and the cleaning of individual rooms has gone downhill.
Communication with family members is also not consistent.
I would not recommend this facility.

Nice place, overall

I think they do a great job overall at Emeritus at Sterling. I'm not the person living there, but my sense is that they are staffed by very caring, sensitive, and thoughtful people. The place is very clean, there are never any odors, and it seems very safe and secure. They take great care of the people who live here, and put a lot of effort into making sure everyone stays entertained and active.

Pick to right facility - watch out for the sales pitch.

Be very careful when choosing for your loved one. Once in facility they are usually afraid to move and make change. We went to facility every day, we installed cameras, we wrote letters, we meet with staff and management and to no avail. The staff was not trained properly. The staff was cruel at times, the staff made fun of the elderly and the management was not interested in making things better. They were afraid of the staff. I keep records for over two years and the facility just got worst. There was staff that saw what was happening and tried to make changes however they were dismissed. I really can't write about all our problems and concerns from clean room to food service. I get sick when I go back over my records and see whatmy mother-in law and dater-in law went through and feel that I should have had more backbone to do something. They were afraid if we complained they would be treated worst.

Pretty

I knew this community as Monroe House. It is not as warm and friendly as the other communities my loved one has been at, but the building is very nice, very pretty. It’s very elegant with lots of places to sit.

Great first impression!

I am in the process of moving my mother into this community from another close by. In comparison, I am thoroughly impressed! At the last community, many things fell through the cracks, but here, the attentiveness of the staff shines through. They are all very experienced and that shows in their work: they pay close attention to detail and my mother’s specific needs. They are also very accommodating: the original room my mother was going to move in to suddenly became unavailable, but they pulled some strings and made it so that she could move into a similar room at relatively the same cost. I was also very impressed with the amount of activities available. There is a monthly calendar posted with all of the coming activities. They are also very conscious of the wants of each resident. For example, there is a multitude of different religious services available. Overall, I am very impressed with this community, and I cannot wait to have my mother settled in! A great improvement from the last place!

They are great!

They are great! There really isn't anything that I would like to see improved or done better, except maybe the price. They were in the same range as everyone else though. My mom chose this community over others because she just liked the feel of it better, the overall atmosphere.

Look no further

While searching for "A Place for Mom" we were directed to Emeritus at Sterling. It was the first community we visited and honestly, they set the bar very high. From Barb, the ED, to Chloe, to the receptionists, we were overwhelmed at the genuine care and concern they displayed for their residents.

The condition of the building and the quality of the food and programs far surpassed all other local residences. I only wish my mother had lived long enough to spend her remaining time there.

We stop by occasionally to chat with Chloe and Barb and some of the other staff. They were genuinely that friendly, caring, and kind.

The management couldn't be more carin...

The management couldn't be more caring or more competent. Real concern for the residents and their welfare and an amazing variety of well-planned activities.

smelled of vomit and urine ...

smelled of vomit and urine throughout; despite having an appt with the director, I ended up only touring with the receptionist who couldn't answer most of my questions. Activities director position was vacant, so all the residents were simply in their rooms doing nothing.

Best facility with good staff.

Best facility with good staff.

Much more care than mom needs

This is much more of an assisted living and mom really didn't need that. We had her evaluated, she doesn't have any dementia, the only issue is her hip and she shouldn't really be left alone, so that's her only issue. So the more she moves around the better and she doesn't really need something as extensive. They were very nice but just walking in, I knew the transition for her from her condo to the Monroe House would be very hard for her. There were people who were a little more incapacitated and some people in transition don't really need all of that, it's a terrible shock going from her own home to a place like that knowing it's the last stop.

They were very nice, a little further...

They were very nice, a little further out than what I wanted but the lady I met with was very nice they also offered furniture too

Excellent information and t...

Excellent information and tour.

Liked it very much. 60-70 residents. ...

Liked it very much. 60-70 residents. Provides more transportation. Has Sunday Catholic service on site. On site visits from chiropractor, podiatrist and other doctors. Beautiful foyer, lots of activities.