Tall Oaks Assisted Living - Reston, VA

For over 20 years, Tall Oaks At Reston has provided exceptional assisted living services to residents of the Northern Virginia area. Our staff’s longevity and reputation is unsurpassed, bringing peace of mind to both residents and their families. The goal of Tall Oaks At Reston has always been to give each of the residents a choice of care options that encourages individuality, independence and the preservation of dignity. A wonderful social program, licensed practical nurses on-site 24 hours a day and an on-site medical clinic offer residents the opportunity to maintain an active, healthy lifestyle. Enjoying this lifestyle in an atmosphere of warmth and caring… a setting that is rich in thoughtful residential design makes Tall Oaks At Reston a place our residents can truly call home. Tall Oaks also offers specialized Alzheimer’s and dementia care as well as temporary respite stay.

Save it for the next wave of old folks!

I stayed at Tall Oaks last year for a short respite period. I still miss it. When I just read that the whole village was going to change and T. O. Might be gone I was Devastated..Reston needs something like TO because staying there was just like home. Unpretentious, caring, good food, friendly staff and friendly neighbors. Yes! Every one just seemed like a good friend.
Please don't let them demolish the best senior citizen thing left in Reston.

Minimal staff

If you are interested in choosing this facility, please look elsewhere. If there was a medical emergency i am worried the outcome would be bad. Loved ones would be safer living in there own homes. Staffing is bare bones. Weekend staffing is even less. My mother-in-law has been here for a yr and a half with two leadership changes, but still no communication and poor service. They will tell you what you want to hear, but they have never delivered. Price has been increased two times in less than two years. Staff is nice enough, but I have yet to find someone that cares and takes initiative. There is no leadership on any level. There may be titles, but there is no one acting in a leadership role. Drop by on a weekend and you will witness a ghost town. I have talked with relatives of tenants and tenents themselves and the story is always the same this place is. PATHETIC , can't find any staff , no help if you need it. My Mother-in-law has said on numerous occasions after lunch or breakfast she is returned to her floor and dropped off the elevator and she has to scoot herself in her wheelchair back to her room that is a good 15-20 yards away.

Went on tour. Not off the list, but looked too much like a nursing home.

Review of Tall Oaks Assisted Living - Reston, VA

The building and the residents I saw were both too old for me

It's been fantastic.

It's been fantastic. They have been good about working with us and getting in there. No complaints about food it's or activities. There has been a shift in leadership, which was a little bit of a shake up coming in. In terms of the one on one care, they have been good. They stayed in touch with me very low key, and would check in about every 6 weeks, and we really appreciated that.

this place is severely understaffed, my mother in law had to wait half an hour to an hour and a half too many times before she was attended to. When she asked why they took so long to come, the aides tell her that they have emergencies or have other people to take before her. The aides told her they had 10 to 15 other folks to take care of. Management would probably dispute but my Mel's experience can prove that. If she had a heart attack, she would have been dead before they got to her. this facility's charges are way over priced for the quality of service you will get.
The facility reception area and general surroundings are clean, I would give them that, but the quality of service sucks.A short message to management: the receptionist at the front desk isn't the friendliest person at all. The
receptionist after all is the first contact to client and should at least offer a smile when guests come in. Instead on a few times we visited and we had a question, she pretended to do busy work until she could not ignore us anymore and finally looked up. She was grumpy every time we visited.
This place has been in business for 20 years they claim, but I would not recommend this facility to anybody.

It's an older facility. The staff seem very friendly. The rooms are smaller and the tenant needs to supply their own furniture which can be challenging if it is a short tem stay.

Nice place, overall!

Overall things have gone well with Tall Oaks Assisted Living! I think they have some great services here, and Dad seems very pleased with the food! It is a big transition, going from independent to assisted living, and they do a great job here helping to ease that transition.
One thing I think they could do a bit better with is communication with family members. It feels like we are usually the ones that have to initiate conversations about how our loved one is doing.
But overall it is all working out fine, and we are pleased with this community!

Review of Tall Oaks Assisted Living Alzheimer's / Memory Care in Reston, VA

We toured this facility and were very disappointed. While the smell of fresh baked cookies greeted us upon arrival that is where the good smells ended. We toured the 3rd floor memory care floor. It immediately smelled unwelcoming. The residents that we saw appeared to be over medicated as they were all just sitting and staring off. There was no interaction between them and the staff that we witnessed. We were instructed to stop and wait when we got off the elevator so we could make sure that no one escaped before the doors closed. We went downstairs to see the activity room and the whole floor smelled moldy and uninviting. There did not appear to be much interaction between staff and residents. We decided quickly that this place is not the solution we are looking for.

Review of Tall Oaks Assisted Living Alzheimer's / Memory Care in Reston, VA

Community was going through some renovations and was a bit older than the others that I had visited. The memory loss floor was separated by several floors from some of the other ammenities. I was not as impressed as I was with the other locations and the resident rooms seemed more like a hotel.

My father is content, and we are very...

My father is content, and we are very happy with Tall Oaks.

Nice place, a bit far out. ...

Nice place, a bit far out. Rooms on the small side, but could work if they can get one with the kitchenette and work up to a larger unit at some point.

Glad we chose it

My mom has been here for about a year. Very friendly, warm environment. Glad we chose it. Only downside is a little on the expensive side.

It's a great community, and it's lovely inside.

It's a great community, and it's lovely inside. They have a trained chef and they are always very very good, and they always have choices. They have a lot of activities, and they are great. My mom is 91 and in kind of frail health, and I can still never find her, she is always busy doing the activities. They have lots of doctors, and a podiatrist, there are always several nurses on staff 24-7. They have lots of religious services, which are important to her, musical activities, a theater with a movie every night. It's just a really good place.

One Month into Tall Oaks Experience

We visited numerous care facilities that had the memory treatment needed for my Mom who has Alzheimer's. Most seemed to be more focused on the business side than the treatment and "care" side. As soon as we entered Tall Oaks at Reston we noticed a difference...lots of staff doing their jobs professionally and happy...very friendly atmosphere. They had 24-hour nurses available in the facility which was not the case in many of the other facilities we visited. Residents were all smiling and engaged in different things going on around the first floor. The Alzheimer's ward was secure and well-staffed...we liked the way the staff gets these folks off of their floor everyday and engaged in activities in other parts of the facility. The food has been exceptional each time we have stayed for a meal...just attended a Holiday Party where the Chef hosted a large buffet that was first-class...drew a huge crowd...I don't think there was an empty seat! Mom's room is comfortable, homey and peaceful. The only hitch we have experienced so far was a little confusion on required paperwork needed prior to move-in (some we were not given until the day of move-in) but we scrambled and completed all of it in time for Mom to settle-in as scheduled. Immediately in the first days, Mom was given several evaluations and entered into various therapies to enhance and lengthen her quality of life. She is not housed in the Alzheimer's ward yet, but it is obvious, Tall Oaks is experienced and well-prepared for this unfortunate and sad disease. Our first month with Tall Oaks has been great and we are confident we chose the right home for Mom.

Dated, but good place and s...

Dated, but good place and staff appear very good.

Assisted living is great, memory care is for more advanced residents

We had originally moved my mother in law up from another location in Virginia so she could be closer to us, originally it was in the assisted living section but then certain things happened that we were required to move her into the secured unit at Tall Oaks fairly quickly and because of that we moved her. I think the assisted lviing section was very good and the memory care section, the secured floor, for someone who is much more advanced in their dementia, I think was very good, but their program was geared towards helping and maintaining their level of dementia but we felt she didn't fit in. They did not have a wander guard system in their assisted living and she wasn't advanced enough to be in their secured floor so we moved her.

Head and shoulders above all the other palces

Tall Oaks is doing really well, we would just give them the highest marks, they're doing a beutiful job. I'm just so blessed, we searched high and hard and long, I think I looked at 20 different places and Tall Oaks was jsut head and shoulders above everything. VITAS hospice came when my father was dying and they agreed that of all the places the go and visit, that Tall Oaks was awesome. A lot of places wouldn't have let him stay there until he passed and they were just awesome. We have the very highest marks for Tall Oaks, now that my father has passed away my mother has deteriorated rapidily and it's hard to see her like that but we knew that she's in the best place possible. They made the best assessment and they said that if my father and mother wanted to be in the same room, they would both have to be in lockdown and my father flatly refused to go. I am a religious person and I prayed a lot about this decision and this is a Godly, awesome, wonderful place. They just go above and beyond, we just think the best of it.

Wonderful activities, quality of care dropped

Things started off really well, my mom has a lot of medical issues and they were starting to drop the ball in that department. She has diabetes and there's a lot of things they need to do to manage that. They don't have an actual RN on duty all the time and the ones that are technically on duty, half the time aren't even there because they're off doing assessments so you have a lot of people who aren't really nurses and on top of that, instead of managing the residents, they would manage to their schedule. It was getting realyl frustrating, they weren't taking her blood when they were supposed to and if she needed to take meds before meals, they would make her come to them, it was getting real cumbersome.
They were really good with events, they were taking them to shows, they went out shopping 2 times a week, the grocery store and then some sort of big box like Target and they always had people coming to the facility, all kinds of things to make them feel like they were getting attention from the outside.

Bent over backwards to accommodate us

It's great, it's a wonderful place, they bend over backwards to help you, the people are great, the director, John is fabulous. I can only gush and rave that it is a wonderful place. He was only here a week, and they do have the admin fee of about 300 dollars up front that's supposedly not refundable but John said he would get it back for us. They are very user friendly and wonderful. The places come unfurnished but John said they had some furniture that we could have, they just went all out to make us happy. This was closer to us also and the physician that serviced it was already his doctor so that made it easier too.

Tall Oaks at Reston

This is a lovely facility. It is nicely decorated, very clean and has many amenities for residents. The only problem I see is, like all assisted living facilities, it is more expensive than most seniors, particularly senior women, can afford!

I can not express an opinion on quality of care or value, since I am not familiar with those services. I attend community meetings there, and can only comment on that which I have observed.

Tall Oaks is a sweet place ...

Tall Oaks is a sweet place for sure. Staff upbeat and caring. All needs we have can be met. outdoor walking is not the best as it has no secure area and walking would be something I would be concerned with although they do have inside tread mill.

This one had the room size and the go...

This one had the room size and the good price, but something about it had a shabby feel. I also did not like its location. Nice lady gave me tour. Would need 1st floor room, but I think mom would wig out here. But rooms were large enough and the price was good.

This is probably going to be our choi...

This is probably going to be our choice. I am still waivering between Sunrise at Reston Town Center and Tall Oaks.