Sunrise at Fair Oaks - Fairfax, VA

Clean, smells pleasant, friendly staff, lots of residents outside on rocking chairs and socializing. Friendly, pleasant feel. “Southern Genteel” style-homey, but upscale homey. [name removed] was very helpful and gave me lots of great advice. Nice, big windows. Common areas nicely maintained. Staff seems pleasant. The only downside is that the studio rooms are very small, and the one-bedrooms are expensive for the size of the room. Otherwise, an overall pleasant place.

Nice facility- less outdoor space than the Sunrise in Sterling.
They only have assisted and memory care

We had toured a few different communities around the area. This one was nice the staff was friendly and helpful. The community was clean and well maintained. They seem to offer quite a few things for residents to do. This community was pretty offered the same things as most of the others nothing really stood out to separate them from any of the others.

Care and kindness

We enjoyed this tour and were able to see that this was a clean and nice environment. The staff was nice and able to answer the questions of the care that is offered. We like the many choices in the menu. They had a lot of activities for the residents. We would recommend this community for care of a loved one. Families might want to consider a tour of their own.

More expensive!

When we toured Sunrise at Fair Oaks, we were very happy with the location and their philosophy but we were shocked to hear it was considerably more expensive than other Sunrise locations in the area. They are closer to DC, which could explain the price. The people there were very friendly and professional, we had a good experience touring.

Tour and comfort

The staff were nice and caring and we liked that they were able to answer the questions of the care that is given. The menu was nice and the activities would of been offered. We liked this community and would recommend it to other families to tour for the care of a loved one.

Good Experience

I had a nice tour of this community, everything went well. From what I saw the community looked nice, and well-kept. The staff was nice, and answered my questions. It was a good experience overall, but it wasn't the one for my sister.

They were very welcoming. When you walk in, the place feels like someone's home. It was very clean and well-maintained. Walking through the hallways I felt like I was in a nice apartment building. The staff are very professional and friendly. The dining area feels like a nice restaurant,and I was impressed with the menu choices and the care given to meal planning. The garden areas are beautiful and inviting. The residents seem happy and well cared for. I also appreciated how they keep records and document everything. I left there feeling like I'd be very comfortable having my loved one live there.

Very nice facility. Impressed what they have done with assisted living and memory care programs for the residents. They are planning to roll out bridge program with assisted living and memory care for their residents this summer. [Removed] keep abreast of new developments and trends with assisted living and memory care facilities in Metro DC area. With her growing knowledge and experience in this field, she provide input and leadership on what need to be done to improve the living standards of residents in her Sunrise facility. [Removed] is an excellent person to go for additional resource information.

Great value for the price. Adjacent to a big hospital and natural areas. She is checking to see if they can offer a discount on 2nd person like the other Sunrise facilities. Checked all the boxes and nice updated decor.

My Thought Of The Tour

This community seemed clean when we visited. They are a little higher priced and they offered shared rooms. We did not think a shared room would work for mom. They do have an open and airy foyer. They seemed to have activities and the people we met were nice.

A Temporary Living

My wife was there for awhile till our next option. They are not an appropriate place for nursing care but they were able to have my wife for awhile. They staff tried very hard to give the care she needed. This is more for people who are in good health.

Sunrise Senior Living

Horrible Experience!!

I was very dissatisfied, the staff failed to keep my mom clean with her hygiene as well as the community it was absolutely disturbing. There was never anything documented and the communication between the staff was awful. All of the residents looked like zombies and seemed very miserable. I removed my mother from that community and she will not be returning.

Sunrise Senior Living

We’re sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience. We care deeply about the safety and well-being of our residents and staff. Please contact us at information (at) sunriseseniorliving.com so that we can learn more. –The Sunrise Team

Nice facility--not as many types of rooms available. Did not want to wait for the room we wanted. recommend going to see what they have as they are comparable with the other local options just full when we looked.

Sunrise was good in some ways and not perfect in others.

Sunrise was good in some ways and not perfect in others. Communication among the staff could be improved. I think when dealing with folks with higher need levels, they didn't do a great job of developing and following a good plan. I think that taking what someone with memory issues says, at face value, is something they could work on. Once some of the issues were brought to their attention they did kind of step it up, and I think they did okay, with our more unique case, in terms of needs.

The facility is well-appointed, clean, friendly, and well-run. The memory care unit seemed very nice. The facility is on the property of Fair Oaks hospital which is why it's probably "higher end" and not comfortably in our price range.

Active and caring

This is truly the nicest facility in the area! Spacious rooms, lots of activities, attentive staff. This is one of the only places that doesn't have the residents sitting around staring at each other "waiting to die." Every time I walk in the residents are actively engaged in an activity. There are all different levels of ability and the activities are tailored to the individual abilities.

nice place, food can improve

The only thing I can think of where Sunrise at Fair Oaks needs to improve is the quality of the food. It is nutritional, but they overcook the chicken, served under-cooked pork tenderloin, and other similar instances.

Other than that everything has been great. The people there are friendly and the place is very homey and clean.

Met with Valerie Parker @ 9...

Met with Valerie Parker @ 9:45 on 8/27. Very pleasant and informative. Much larger facility but partioned memory care section on ground floor. The floor in the common kitchen area was sticky. Observed and interacted with numerous staff and residents as well as a couple activities. Not as impressive as the GF site visiited the day before. Courtyard much smaller and I believe the a la cart services could add up.

Beautiful settings; on Inno...

Beautiful settings; on Innova Fairfax grounds; very pleasant surrounding. Presentation - entrance - very inviting; beautiful entrance. Interior - just what we were looking for but have fear of renovations; carpet I had envisioned has recently been replaced with neutral beige carpet. It is nice but nothing special. This place is all about special and for the price it should have more elegance that neutral standard budget cutting shortcuts. Food - Top notch! Met Chef Eric; most food made from scratch; resident faces mostly with smiles and dinning room full. Nice to see. Veronica - reception - 1st impression - WONDERFUL! Valerie - informative, pleasant, appears to have priorities in order - residents vice corporation. Would like to learn more about upcoming renovations.

Nice place, but too far awa...

Nice place, but too far away from us

Could diversify activities

From what we have seen, and we've seen a number of assisted living facilities, it seems to be very clean, the staff that we've encountered appear to be very friendly. The care is very good, just because of my mother in law's condition or situation, we have hired supplementary care just because of her dementia and out wish to be able to maintain her independence for as long as we possibly can. I think they do very well in maintaining a comfortable environment for the individuals who are living there, it's an attractive place, I think it's well laid out. I do think however that their activities probably could be diversified a little. I would like to see more activities that engage in either recalling things from the past or historical facts or word games but kind of geared at a slightly less complex level than what they have now.

The best Sunrise

Out of all of the Sunrises this one stood out as the best. We didn't chose it because Tall Oaks was head and shoulders above it.

Would like more one on one attention

I've only been there once or twice, I live in New York and was taking care of my dad up here. My brother and sister in law have been taking care of the situation but from what I've seen in the beginning, overall, the cleanliness is good and the care has been pretty good. i'm maybe a little disappointed a little bit in the value that we're paying, but I'd say it's okay, they could be working a more with my dad. It's more expensive than what we were paying in New York but I would expect more person to person attention. Although he is concious and aware, he's becoming more depressed and not staying active so in the state of mind that he's in he doesn't want to particpate. From a room option, we were looking for bigger apartments as opposed to just a room and they had better options.

Very expensive and caregivers are not certified

This was much more expensive for one, it was much more fancy, the interior design was pretty fancy, I mean, it was nice, but it was kind of fancy. The thing that struck me the most besides the additional cost was two [removed] the additional cost, each person was assigned a caregiver and this person was not a certified professional, just someone trained by Sunrise. The other thing, understanding of course that a lot fo their residents have memory issues, but there was a resident there when we were by the nurses station who was complaining he hadn't gotten his medications yet. I don't know if he had memory issues, but the woman who was giving us the tour was quite perturbed by that.

Some inconsistencies, but overall good

There are some glitches, however, all in all, I'm very happy. There are a few things that need to be improve on, one thing is the dining room. During meal time, some of the residents just scream out for no reason or get upset. Even though I know there is a reminiscence wing, he's the youngest one there, and he's not in that wing and that's what's so hard. He thinks he can have a conversation with them but he's can't, the residents themselves, they can be very nice but then they ignore him and me, it's the strangest thing but that's because I guess it's because they're older. He really loves the people that help him, the administration is pretty good, the director, I'd say he's wet behind the ears, but he listens to me, he just can't grasp the thing with the meal time, it's 6 steps forward, 3 steps backwards sometimes but overall we're very pleased and they really want to please him which is great.

I can tell you things are going good,...

I can tell you things are going good, they're really good people.

Don't like the high rise layout

This was another high rise scenario and I believe they had really tiny rooms.

MOST LIKELY SECOND CHOICE - also like...

MOST LIKELY SECOND CHOICE - also liked the grounds, evidence of activities, staff, food.

Rooms are bigger. Nice garden for th...

Rooms are bigger. Nice garden for them to walk outside. Mature business.

I talked at length with (Sunrise main...

I talked at length with (Sunrise main office) and director at Fair Oaks. I visited. Had a very good visit. The place has a very nice feel to it. I like it's so close to IFOHospital and is in the Innova system--a bonus if hospitalization is needed. Aging in place. You're free to be who you are. Director is great to work with.

Very nice. Open, airy, craft room is...

Very nice. Open, airy, craft room is huge.