Sunrise at George Mason - Fairfax, VA

This facility is subsidized by the county-many people may actually have too much money to qualify.

The staff was very warm and inviting. The facility was small but very welcoming.

Stay Away

Do not have your loved on stay here. Always short staffed, especially in their memory care unit. Residents developed bed sores and are dressed in dirty clothes.

Sunrise Senior Living

Hello Pam. We’re sorry to hear about your experience at our community. We care deeply about the safety and well-being of our residents and staff. Please do contact us at information (at) sunriseseniorliving.com so that we can learn more. Hope you and your family have a nice start to 2018. –The Sunrise Team

Caring Environment

Sunrise at George Mason is a very clean and inviting community. My father-in-law receives hospice care and the staff is very caring and attentive. We feel he is an absolutely safe and caring environment. Sunrise at Mason does provide activities for the residents to participate if they are able. When my father-in-law was eating he absolutely enjoyed the meals they provided. The staff keep him as comfortable as possible and that is why we chose Sunrise at George Mason. I really like that the director is very personable and knowledgeable and they really listen to us when we voice our concerns. They make my family feel welcome when we come to visit.

Satisfied with My Mother Moves Here

My mother is doing well with her move to this community. I know she is being provided with good care, and she is safe. I like the staff, they have been very positive through out this experience. Even though she can not participate in the activities, I have noticed they have plenty available for the residents. She is eating well. Overall everything is working well, and I would recommend this community.

An ok community

This is an older clean community. The cafeteria did not seem as nice as the community we chose. They did not have an open area that we liked. This community just did not feel desirable to us.

Sunrise Senior Living

I would have reservations about recommending this community!

There have been a number of issues since my mom moved into Sunrise. The majority of the time the staff seem very caring but we have had an issue with them not making sure the supplies she needs are in her room. THe food is ok but we are hoping that with a new food service coming in on 6/25/16 that things will improve. They offer daily activities but sometimes she is taken to the wrong location or they are cancelled without notice.

committed staff & leadership

Shannon and her entire team knock themselves out to make my mom's stay as comfortable as possible...in the few months that she has been there there have been occasional misfires but Shannon is all over improving their performance and making certain that the residences get excellent service and support...would recommend that you give this place a look if you are looking for a smaller footprint and a highly committed and competent staff/leadership.

Very nice facility. Liked the one-level and small number of residents. Sandi was very helpful and easy to talk with.

Sunrise at George Mason is quite small and all on one level which has its advantages.It is also connected to the Commonwealth Rehab and Nursing Center--literally down the hall. The admissions director is wonderful and all the staff seemed friendly and helpful--truly to care about the residents. The memory care unit is quite nice with attentive caregivers. I think my mom could be happy there, but the rooms on the assisted living side seemed too small and the common areas too crowded for my dad's comfort.

Review of Sunrise at George Mason Alzheimer's / Memory Care in Fairfax, VA

We toured Sunrise at George Mason and were pleasantly surprised at how much we liked the place. It smelled good and felt good. We enjoyed meeting several of the residents and staff, who were all wonderful. We will definitely keep this on the list of those to consider.

Off to a Great Start

My elderly father has lived in three assisted living places over the last four years (one was in another state). He rates them as Good, Better, Best. He has lived at Sunrise at George Mason about two weeks and since he is WC bound he appreciates the smaller size of the place and one level with no elevators, less distances to travel, easier to get to know people, the good home cooked food, attentive and pleasant staff, the wonderful outside garden that is easy to get to and relax, all the activities, flexible eating times, physical help without feeling like he is a nuisance, and the involvement of volunteers and family members. It suits his needs and wants at this stage in his life though his room is physically the smallest he has had. I can't say enough about how attentive and helpful the staff has been so far. It feels like home already to him---and to us, his family.

Mediocre at best

Our mother was in the memory care unit. It was crowded with too many residents for the number of staff, wheelchairs in the way, television blaring all the time. Expensive: rooms more expensive than in assisted living side (why?); charged separately for every single service. We had to point out burned out light bulbs in her room and other things needing attention. Staff were friendly, several were excellent, most were just ok. Care very haphazard: no real system in place to remember to put in hearing aids (broken by 1 of the staff), wash hair (forgotten several times when showered), not enough showers a week unless we paid extra. Prices went up the first of the year, but staff didn't get raises, as far as we know. Happy to move our mother out.

Sunrise Senior Living

We are sorry to hear you had this experience at our community. We take your comments very seriously. Please reach out to Information(at)SunriseSeniorLiving(dotcom) with your contact information and further details. Thanks, The Sunrise Team

Sunrise at George Mason

Sunrise at George Mason is a very pleasant home with assisted living and Memory Care only. It is small, with only about 70 residents. The activities director, Lynette, is absolutely wonderful. She plans great things for the seniors to do, such as lunch out once a week, parties to celebrate every holiday, musical programs, nightly Bingo, etc. There are religious services for Protestants and Catholics. The home has a resident dog, which pleases my mom, who loves animals and had dogs for many years. One thing that is not quite what I would like is the difficulty of having a meal with my mom. I have to sit at her regular table with her and displace one of her friends, who also sit at that table. Sometimes there are hurt feelings. I would like it if there were a special table where seniors with company could eat. However, this is a relatively minor issue.

Too Expensive Room (include...

Too Expensive Room (includes housekeeping, laundry, meals, activities, etc): $123-153/day (works out to $4,950/month for a private room) Care (varies): $47-92/day (works out to $1,410-$2,760) [removed] $14-25/day (works out to $420-750) So, at a minimum a private room would be $6,780. At a maximum, it would be $8,460. At this point, he'd probably fall somewhere in between.

Very nice. Big! we feel that we mi...

Very nice. Big! we feel that we might be paying for a lot more than she would use - she's not a very "activity" type person, so a lot of what Sunrise offers might be lost on her.

Very impressed with grounds, residenc...

Very impressed with grounds, residence options, friendly and efficient staff.

I liked this facility a great deal.

I liked this facility a great deal.

Small, not as plush as Heatherwood, b...

Small, not as plush as Heatherwood, but homey and the people who work there seem very caring.

Nice, neat and very compact. Everyon...

Nice, neat and very compact. Everyone was very friendly. Definitely a possibilty.