Sun and Sea - Imperial Beach, CA

I was very impressed with Sun and Sea. The staff was very understanding of my situation and provided a very thoughtful explanation of their philosophy. It's located near the beach and the weather was much more tolerable there on a hot summer day than my home in La Mesa. The grounds were simple and uncluttered, and there was a music lesson going on which I really liked. They specialize in memory care, which I really appreciated, especially since dementia manifests in so many ways and is always changing. It was nice to know that I will have support through the entire progression of my father's dementia.

Beautiful facility and very friendly caregivers. I was made to feel very welcome and I liked the personal attention to each person that seemed to be given.

very helpful

The people here are really friendly, and the place is very pretty. They have a lovely garden outside. We came and had a little tour, spoke to the people, and they were very helpful and informative. My dad is a hospice patient and they do an excellent job with him and made the transition a very smooth one.

They are just really great people!

We feel very blessed to find them. She is doing very very well. She is warming up and fitting in. She’s playing the piano again. The staff is very attentive. The staff to patient is very good. Very kind. Very accommodating. They are on top of it. I’m told the chefs are wonderful. They are just really great people!

It's pretty clean, and they have a very friendly staff.

It's pretty clean, and they have a very friendly staff. The response time hasn't been great in our experience, and then when they do get there it can take a while to come back with whatever was requested. The food smells awful good, I haven't tried it yet, but there haven't been any complaints either. There are a lot of activities. Communication between the staff needs to be improved, I can tell somebody to do something, like please make sure she has water by her bed, and to let everyone else know and that doesn't happen. They are very friendly, and when we first were there it appeared that the other residents were happy there as well. We liked that it was a smaller community.

Open Doors

I went and took a look at this place. It seemed okay but there were a lot of open doors to patios and I was afraid that my wife would wander out on to them and fall like she did at the last place. I didn't want her falling again.

Here’s What’s So Special About Sun and Sea Manor Residential Memory Care!

OUR CULTURE Years ago, the owners of Sun and Sea Manor decided that “love” would be the cornerstone and central motivating theme for our community and it remains at the heart of our culture today.

OUR CAREGIVERS...

...are the best, if you ask us! In keeping with our “culture of love,” we look for kindness, understanding, warmth, patience, and protectiveness – traits that are not easily taught – when hiring new staff to match these qualities in our existing staff. These qualities are important because they help create our warm and caring environment.

“I get very attached to the residents, as if they are all my grandparents,” one of our caregivers says. “I love to give them hugs and tell them I love them, especially the ones who remind me of my grandmother.” Our high retention and caregiver longevity allow residents and caregivers to bond with each other, giving our residents a genuine sense of stability and consistency.

OUR COMMUNITY Sun and Sea Manor is an "all memory care" community. Caring for seniors at all levels of dementia is our passion and expertise, and we are not distracted by trying to run several types of communities together.

We offer our residents a full slate of brain-stimulating, physically-invigorating, and socially-rich activities, interspersed with periods of time for quiet and rest. All of our staff members are trained in depth in the skills of working with cognitive impairment, and we continually share new and fresh approaches.

With a 32-resident capacity, we are small enough that our caregivers can devote ample 1-to-1 time with every resident and our Awake Staff at night performs regular rounds to ensure that everyone is safe and well.

Family members are welcome to drop in any time of day or evening and participate in any of our activities.

OUR BUILDING Sun and Sea Manor is one story—no stairs or elevators—reflecting the way home