Brookdale Penn Hills - Penn Hills, PA

I do not feel this facility is the right place for our family member. I felt the staff at the other two facilities were more professional.
I did not care the open arrangement with the kitchen facilities and dining room the first thing you see when entering the building.

Check out this facility with a third eye

The staff is often related and will cover for each other while [Removed] the residents. Look very closely at the care provided in the evening and night.

Not Impressed

I had a tour set up but that person was not available to give the tour. We got to see a couple of the rooms our selves. We saw them cooking the meals and dining room.
I was not crazy about that place. I didn't like it when I walked in, it was different and I didn't get a good feeling. I also heard the meals are not good at this community.

Clean, quiet and friendly atmosphere! Rooms are spacious and do not look like hospital rooms! Dining room area clean. Staff was very friendly to me and seemed to take interest in the residents!

Excellent caregivers but...

There are many good things and some that need changed. Now that my parent has moved on, i feel I can comment.

The aides are so caring and for the most part attentive. Shirley, Emily are good and know residents. Rodney is wonderful and interacts with residents.

The administrative staff isn't as interactive and seems removed from what really happens. They are there 9-5 and don't give credit for what staff really does 24 hours a day.

Because of the caregivers and kitchen staff I would definately have a loved one there. However you will want to be proactive when dealing with the office administrative personnel.

Average

Care Staff is good. Office sometimes short and impatient when asking for information. Food is ok but does not follow posted menu.

Better than most assisted living but not enough going on in the evening after dinner.

A small, friendly home for seniors

Brookdale was the last facility we looked at in our search, and I was already prepared to select another place. But actually visiting Brookdale, and talking to the staff there, made them our first pick for my in-laws seeking an assisted living facility.

Brookdale is small and intimate, comfortable, with hands-on and friendly staff who are available for questions almost around the clock. We like everyone there, and more importantly, so do my in-laws.

The environment is small but pleasant, the food is very good, and the medical staff has a good relationship with the visiting doctor, and that helps keep my mother-in-law's various complex and fluctuating conditions under control.

One final point: there's at least one resident unable to move (at least not much), and we see her out and about with the rest of the residents, rather than just sitting in bed. This speaks well of the ability and motivation to get everyone participating, rather than staying in their rooms.

We're very pleased with Brookdale, and so are my mom- and dad-in-law.

Rodney knows his residents and the entire staff have been there for many years and are happy. The residents are very well cared for and the facility is clean and well managed. Small facility is perfect for the family atmosphere and interactions with everyone. A very nice place.

Great small facility, the staff was nice and provided a lot of good information. Clean and organized.

Train wreck from the moment...

Train wreck from the moment I walked in the door. Messy, dirty and unorganized. Residents huddled around a small TV in the front room. Facility right on a busy street. Did not do the tour, wouldn't leave a dog there.

It's clean.

It's real clean, and the food is really good. Maybe they could pay a little more attention to people who could be a fall risk. We were only there a couple of weeks, before we had a fall, so we didn't get that much time to evaluate.

Very crowded feeling

It seemed like as soon as I walked in the door I was bumping into someone's wheelchair. This place felt very small and crowded everywhere. The common areas, and the bedrooms. The bedroom itself was tiny, and the bed was a twin. Mom is not used to a bed that size and I was worried she might overestimate how much space she had and fall off during the night.

Very Involved Staff

They always answer all my questions and if my mom can't answer her cell phone they go and help her with it. Overall I think it's good. They have sing alongs and play cards in the afternoon. They went on a field trip, I forget to where. It was offered to my mom but she decided not to go. The food is sometimes good and sometimes not. I think my mom needs to get out and do things. She's still afraid to ask to change the television channels in the main areas but that's her, it's not the facility. The staff seems to be very involved. They know everyone and are aware of where they are when you come to visit.

looks NOTHING like the photos or way ...

looks NOTHING like the photos or way its described on a drive by. Will possibly take tour but this was the No. 1 pick until i saw location. Staff seems eager and nice.

Sterling House is an assistive senior living residence that provides housing and assistance to older adults who want to retain their independence while receiving the daily support they need. The intimate setting for those with limited mobility, as well as specialized programming, help residents maximize independence and quality of life. Residents receive the personal assistance and support they need in a warm and comfortable environment, while enjoying private apartments, companionship and life enrichment programs. A 24-hour staff caters to each resident’s individual needs. Services offered at Sterling House include assistance with personal care, three meals and snacks each day, laundry, housekeeping, medication assistance and life enrichment programs.

Special Features
- Intimate setting provides access for individuals with limited mobility
- Emergency response system in each resident’s room
- Outdoor amenities include patios, raised gardening beds, and walking paths
- Furnishings, window and wall treatments are carefully selected