Springwood Retirement - Arvada, CO

All the tenants are friendly and helpful

When I was first touring this community, I was very impressed by how active everyone was. They offer a lot of activities and the tenants really take advantage of that and participate in a lot of things. All of the tenants I’ve met are very friendly and helpful. The staff members are also nice and they go out of their way to help you. Everyone knows your name after only a few days of being here. The facility itself is nice and the grounds are kept up with nicely. For activities, they offer a lot of games, clubs, and 3 different exercise classes. I would recommend this facility to other families.

Unprepared

I toured Springwood while looking at living options for myself. However, the person in charge who I toured with did not have a room available, so I wasn’t able to see one. All in all, they seemed very unprepared, so I chose another community.

A long wait list. The least expensive option I saw. The place seemed nice. I may have caught the representative on a bad day; she wasn't eager to take us on.

A great community tour

We toured this community that is very big. The community was nice and clean and the dining. They offered a lot of activities. The staff were warm and caring for the care for what we wanted. We liked that dining area and the activities that are offered are good for everyone to stay active when possible. We would highly recommend this community for good care and value for others.

Great nutrition and well balanced meals!!

I love how caring and genuinely concerned the staff are about there residents at this community. They take a lot of pride in there job and it shows through there work. The facility is always very well maintained and clean which is comforting to know my mother is living in a well taken care of establishment. She has been really enjoying the meals they serve and the dinning experience with the company of the other residents.

Terrible customer service---keeps rent and community fee after a one day stay

terrible customer service. They assessed my mom, admitted her, then asked her to leave roughly 20 hours later. Refuses to refund any portion of the $1,000 community fee and is insistent upon keeping the 10 days rent after vacating apartment that is specified in the lease. The facility's position is that they were not equipped for the level of care my mother needs--- and that her behavior was vastly divergent from all of the assessments--- never any admission that perhaps they made a mistake in admitting her in the first place. Flawed system that allows the elderly to have their life savings gobbled up.

Our Sr Advisor was the best. Gave us 9 choices, We were under a very short time frame to find a new location. We found what we wanted and what worked best for our mom.

Definitely recommend using this site.

We Saw Nice Thing On The Tour

They were a nice looking community and it was clean. The apartment we were shown, it was very small. Otherwise, during our tour there were people all around doing things. They seemed happy in their community. This place was too far for us.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend!

Dad is doing exceptionally well at Springbrook Retirement and it has truly turned out to be the perfect place for him. He has the luxury of having the assistance although he is still able to do most things on his own. There are plenty of activities for him to participate in if he'd like and the staff are very nice, friendly, and easy to work with most of the time. Dad has his good days and bad days with the food but can still cook in his room if he chooses to do so. There is a large turnover with the staff in the dining area although that's no big deal. Overall we are very happy with the place and would definitely recommend.

We are very happy with Springwood Retirement

We are so very happy with Springwood Retirement and Mom really likes it there as well! The staff have been nice and friendly and very encouraging to Mom. She's able to engage in many different activities and likes the food. All in all its been great and I would highly recommend the place!

Review of Bayshore Guest Home - Nokomis, FL

Thank you for so much for the wonderful care you gave my mother. She loved her time at Springwood special thanks to all the fine "companion" specialists who made her day.

Denver Springwood Retirement Facility not for us

The five star ratings must be a result of them hiring a company to clean up online reviews.
We had a family member there briefly; and moved out within two months.
Nobody gets to pick where they sit for meals....the staff puts people together. Grandparent was only allowed in during meals...no open kitchen. Food is bland at best.. no variety whatsoever.
We went in to check out the Corner "store" and food was expired and only changed when they decided to go to the grocery store..once every few months

For the money we paid, and older condition, there are much newer options available now.
This is just our family's opinion, maybe others don't mind the strict environment. The facility is older, outdated. - The rooms are average in size and not recently renovated. - The campus can be hard to navigate; it's hard for visitors to figure out where to go. - Food is average. - The residents who don't go to activities tend to isolate in their rooms

Dear AnonMGRD:
This is really surprising to read that you had such a disappointing experience here. I find it hard to believe since what you mentioned about dining, food, corner store and updated apartments is all false. I will address each of your concerns:
1. No one scrubs our reviews, they are all organic and genuine.
2. We have been steadily remodeling apartments as they come open, but future residents have the option of keeping the existing kitchen and bath style to save $200 a month on their rent. Perhaps your grandparent elected this option?
3. The entire common area of the building was remodeled 6 or so years ago.
4. July 6th, 2015 we converted to an open dining format which is restaurant style with the dining room open from 10:30-6 M-F and 11:30-4 on Sat and Sun. The menu has many options for entrees, soups, salads and sandwiches. This will seem much less restrictive than the old format which your grandparent likely experienced. If someone is more introverted, or has been living alone for a long time, it may take an invitation to sit with others or an arranged seating before they feel comfortable eating with others. But certainly the residents choose where they sit. There is no assigned seating in our dining rooms.
5. Marcos shops every week to replenish the Corner Store with fresh snacks and drinks.
6. This is a 15 acre campus. Just like any large campus (school, retirement community,shopping mall...) it takes some time to figure out where things are but once you do, it is simple. We provide a map for those who request one, but most folks do not have a problem after the first visit.
7. The building you refer to, Springwood Independent Living Apartments, is just that...Independent Living. We provide many opportunities to socialize and participate in activities, but if a resident chooses to stay in his or her apartment then that is their choice. We don't force anyone to participate. In Assisted Living, the staff will be more proactive about inviting folks to participate in activities since they may forget or not be able to read the schedule due to low vision. Hence the "Assisted" in the name. But in Independent Living people are expected to be self directed and able to make their own decisions about what they wish to do or not.
I invite you to visit again, dine with us and let us address your concerns. I hate to think you left with a bad taste in your mouth. You may call us at [removed].

Not Very Welcoming

When we moved all of my mother's stuff in to her room, no one came up to say "hi" or welcomed us. They would just look at us and walk by. I think they could be a little more friendly, or just a little more welcoming when first moving in.

Cleanliness Was A Huge Problem

The staff was very nice and they were trying to do what they could. But the cleanliness was a huge issue. My loved one's bathroom was a mess for three days and no one cleaned it. It was inexcusable. This is just strictly the memory care unit though.

Good, Comfortable Feeling Place

The Springwood Retirement is a good, comfortable feeling place. I would recommend it. The cleanliness of the facility is excellent. It's always clean and well kept. The friendliness is excellent as well. The staff has been great. They are very friendly and seem to be very helpful. The Springwood Retirement is a nice community. It has been a very good experience. We haven't had any major issues. It's a nice place.

Nice retirement community

My mother moved here nearly a year ago. The staff is friendly, there are many activities, the apartments are nice and the community is very friendly and welcoming.

Independent Cottages

My parent/s have resided in the independent living cottages for several years during which time bad has gone to worse. Springwood is extremely cheap and does not take maintenance issues as important matters. They take the roll that ignorance is the best practice. Making promises and never following through is routine business practice. On several occasions I am aware staff has entered several residences without permission or advanced notice. In fact I was visiting one afternoon and a staff member who was delivering the newsletter walked up to the screen door which wasn't locked, no knock or anything opened it up placed a newsletter inside and walked off. Scared me to death!!! Pat whom you will surely meet if interested in taking residence openly speaks of personal matters to other residents without regard to privacy. VERY unprofessional! Do your homework! My suggestion, do NOT take my word for it. Canvas the neighborhood prior to signing any lease independently and talk to the residents. Maybe consider attending one of their residents meetings and hear the complaints for yourself. Check to see if those complaints have actually been addressed and request proof.

Susan Walker

Thank you for your review. As always, we take complaints very seriously. The issue with the newsletter has been resolved. An employee who was trying to be helpful, had not been trained to put the newsletter in the tube by the mailbox. Any time a staff member enters an apartment or cottage, advance notice has been given and/or permission has been granted by the resident. I'm not sure how you know that other residents have not given permission when you see one of Springwood's staff entering their home.

Minutes are kept at each resident meeting and resolution of complaints is well documented. I think you will find that the maintenance of this campus is top notch when you look around at the beauty and quality of our community. As with most items, there is a schedule for landscaping, and preventative maintenance and items are taken care of in order of safety and importance, and whether continued damage will occur if repair is delayed. Please visit with Pat about your concerns rather than speculate.

This was not a good fit for us do to the lack of grounds.

Susan Walker

Springwood sits on a lovely 15 acre campus. I am sorry that perhaps you did not get to visit the walking paths and explore more of the grounds with mature trees, lawn and garden areas. When everything is covered in snow it is had to see all that.

Mom is good

Well thinks it is a lovely establishment and they are very helpful to his mothers battle with edema band her medications as well.

Susan Walker

We strive to care for each resident individually and meet their care needs. I am glad she is doing well under that care.Thank you for the nice comments.

We visited on a Saturday. It's clean, beautiful, open and airy. People seemed happy and recognized staff and one another. Activities, seevices, accommodations- all great.

Very nice place!

Things have gone very well with Springwood Retirement, they're taking great care of Mom! The staff have been very supportive both to her, and to our whole family. They really did a great job helping her get settled in! The facility itself is well kept and clean, and the staff are all very friendly!

Susan Walker

Thank you for your kind review. We appreciate the feedback and are glad to know your mother is doing well.

Marketing Director
Springwood Campus

Met our expectations

The staff is very helpful and the surroundings make mom and I very comfortable.

Met our expectations

Mom and I found it to be clean friendly and comfortable. If anything could be improved it would be the choices on the food menu.

Review of Commonwealth Assisted Living at Abingdon - Abingdon, VA

My mother-in-law has dementia and moved into Nightingale Suites at Springwood. I have been amazed at how quickly she has adjusted to her new living arrangment. The staff is freindly and helpful. Very pleased!

It's okay.

It's okay. It's clean and the staff is friendly. My only complaint is that they only give you two meals a day and the meals are sadly lacking. The food isn't very good, and the portions aren't very big.

Susan Walker

If you would like, Chef Chris can meet with you and hear your concerns. It is important that you are getting enough to eat. While many seniors do eat small portions, we serve what they have indicated is appropriate in terms of portion size. Please let the Chef know that you are not satisfied. You can also come to the Resident meeting or the Food Council meeting and air your concerns.
Two meals per day allows residents in Independent Living to have flexibility around meals. The coffee shop is available for breakfast during the week as well. Since the apartments have full kitchens, residents still can prepare some of their meals in their apartments if they like.

It was a nice place.

We toured this community when we were searching. It was a nice place, it was clean, and the staff was friendly. It came down to location for us, and another one was closer. We didn't have any concerns about this place though.

Very nice community

Everyone is very friendly there. It feels very inviting. The design is nice. The grounds are pretty and well maintained. The one odd thing is that they didn't have an orientation when my mom moved in. I would think they would have a brochure, calendar and help her get used to the property; show her around. That was disappointing. Otherwise, it is very nice.

Disappointed in inattention and cleanliness

Extremely disappointed in Memory Care facility. Only one week stay and 2nd day bed is made up with no top sheet and feces on bottom sheet. Bathroom floor was so slick, had to grab counter to keep from falling, toilet was filthy for 3 days in a row, dad had fallen and we were not called with a report. There are some excellent care givers that know how to care for dementia residents at the facility, but too many others that gave no acknowledgement, no eye contact, no verbal contact, stood around. Huge gap in proper training. Comes across as a wonderful place, but if your loved one is here, please spend the time on a daily basis to see how they are being cared for.

Susan Walker

Without going in to a full discussion of the situation, let it be known the family has retracted much of this statement. Nightingale Lane provides exceptional care as is recognized by the Alzheimer's Association Colorado Chapter, and it is a clean, sanitary and safe community as recognized by the State of Colorado via our annual surveys. It is unfortunate that this resident and family's experience was not what they expected and they went away with a bad taste in their mouth due to many factors, not the least of which was that Mr. and Mrs. just did not want to be here, away from their home in NE. We sincerely hope that they have found what they were looking for.

The Good with the Bad

They helped my brother with dementia move in the retirement section, which was a hurdle since he refused to go into assisted living.
They remind residence to come to dinner if they forget or help them find their room. They have great outings & encourage participation.
Two serious problems with their system. The manager of the dining room "insists" that people sit where she tells them, which severely hampered my brother from sitting with his new friends at dinner. Forget adjusting & new companionship! She requires they meet new people every night. My brother refused & yanked his arm out of her grip; he was reported for violent behavior.
The head of the assisted living section assessed my brother for a possible move. She reported him for aggressive behavior when he slammed his fist into his knee & refused to get undressed & shower while she was there. Has she heard of modesty? He made me leave the apartment once while he went to the bathroom.
When he was evicted for "behavior," 4 aides hugged him goodbye & told me that he was a sweetheart & liked to tease with them.
My brother is hard to handle & has a big mouth; so I
sympathize with them. But I also think they came gunning for him to rid themselves of a problem.
They did the same thing to my mom when she was in assisted living years ago. She had one bathroom accident
in the shower & was labeled as incontinent; they asked her to go to a nursing home. Her doctor said she's not incontinent; she still has control & feels the sensations.
I think men are harder to place in facilities. I liked Springwood & think they have good procedures. But
if problems arise, take heed.

It was really nice and we were leaning towards them at first.

It was really nice and we were leaning towards them at first. They were clean and friendly, but when we went to visit we saw another place that was a little more homey and whose atmosphere just clicked a little better. But a very nice place.

Perfect! Good location, nic...

Perfect! Good location, nice people working and living there. Nice quiet campus. Would recommend!

Thank you.

Looks promising. Friendly s...

Looks promising. Friendly staff. Older but in generally good shape. Very far away from Kathleen, Jennifer, Will

My loved one was only able to stay he...

My loved one was only able to stay here for a couple months, but I do know that her only complaint during her stay was about the food. She always said that the chefs "don't know what meat is". Other than that, there were no complaints. We really liked the price here, as well as the compact layout of the community. You don't have to walk a mile to get anywhere. Also, she really liked the balconies and the ability to look at the lake and see the geese - it provided peace.

It's a Home, not an "Old Folks Home."

My 84 year old mother was understandably reluctant to leave her house of 41 years. Unfortunately, living by herself was no longer safe.

She first lived in Springwood's "Nightingale" Assisted Living building while recuperating from an injury. Then she moved into the main independent living apartments and is now comfortable and in acceptance.

I was very impressed with the facility: the beauty of the campus, the maintenance of the shared spaces, and the individual apartments I saw. The meals are good and served in a very pleasant dining area. Other amenities include a spacious great-room with fireplace and grand piano; a chapel for worship which doubles as a media room for movies and lectures; game rooms, library, outdoor patio areas, and more. There are many interesting in-house opportunities for socialization, entertainment and fun. In addition there are outside field trips. Transport to shopping and doctors appointments is available (however it's a bit limited, there could be improvement).

There is a home-like feel to Springwood. The staff is very professional yet also courteous and involved with the residents and their visitors/families. The physical therapist has been a great help. I've never experienced any difficulties from an administrative or business perspective; the accounts are kept current, paperwork is processed in a timely manner.

Overall, I give Springwood a solid thumbs up!

Great step down community f...

Great step down community from independent to memory care. One of the best memory care facilities in the area, with good pricing, great apartments, staff, and location.

Complaint mostly about meals.

The part of the whole operation I'm not happy with is the meals.
1. I think they are timed to close together.
2.The helpings are to small. Should have an option for seconds or larger portions up front.
3.The times I've eaten there I thought the service was bourderline...I had to get up more than once to get refills on drinks, or just to get drinks.
4. The part I like the least is when a guest shows up to visit and the member would like to have them join for a meal they get rejected because they didn't call in earlier. That needs to be re-looked at in my opinion. Some of the competition allow visitors to eat for free anytime they want to.

Susan Walker

Please come by and visit now that we have re-vamped our dining program. Open dining is from 10:30-6:00 M-F and 11:30-4 on S/S. Residents order off a menu as in a restaurant. You should be able to order enough to satisfy your appetite. With the open schedule the "lunch rush' has thinned out, and the staff is better able to manage the service.

The Nightingale Suites are ...

The Nightingale Suites are nice, the building, anyway. The rooms are small, the cost is manageable. There are no openings, with 3 others on a waiting list before mom.

Getting used to it.

It has been only twelve days but so far so good. The only complaint is the so called menu. I'm writing this in reference to my boyfriends step-dad. He was used to a place that had about 3 menu choices at the time of dining. And the time for dining was anytime within an hour & half.
At Springwood dining is at a specific time and choices need to be made hours in advance.But that seems to be his only negative. The food they serve must be tasty because he has not said otherwise.

He did not want to leave his former care facility but relented when we asked him to keep an open mind and give Springwood at least a month. We are keeping our fingers crossed that he will not entertain going back to the other facility at $7350. a month just because of the menu and times to dine.

He did say that Springwood's exercise program was better. Yippie!!

I'm reporting on all the things that mattered to him when we transferred him. The other concern he had was activities. I'm guessing he is happy with the activities since he has not complained about them and compared them to the former.

Nice but Not The Right Fit

I did look at that but they did not have levels of care that another place did. They were nice but I was looking for specific thing and they were not able to give us what we need.

We Are Very Impressed With Springwood

I know it's not cheap but it seems reasonable to me. My mom has been really happy with the activities. I remember there were a lot of them. We've been really happy with them. I'm in Texas and it took a while before my mom signed the paperwork saying that I could talk to them about her care. They were kind enough when I called to go and check on her and give me a general yes she's doing okay because they knew who I was but they just didn't have the paperwork to give me specifics.

My mother had some blood work come back and her potassium was low. The lady at Springwood was trying to get in touch with the doctor but wasn't able to reach them. She called my sister to let her know what was going on. She went out of her way on the weekend to do that so we've very impressed.

This has a very good senior apt with ...

This has a very good senior apt with services.

At Springwood Retirement Community, you will feel welcome and comfortable as soon as you enter our 15 acre Campus. With mature and lush landscaping surrounding our main three-story building, you’ll enjoy the park like setting, complete with an outside patio overlooking a pond and a large atrium nestled in a beautiful lawn area. Springwood offers five different lifestyle choices giving seniors the opportunity for continuity as their personal living needs change:
Independent Living Senior Apartments at The Fountains and Cottages patio homes, Independent Apartments with full services in the Springwood Main Building, Nightingale Suites Assisted Living Apartments and Nightingale Lane, the secure Alzheimer's and Memory Care Assisted Living. All Independent apartments have kitchens with an oven/stove, garbage disposals, refrigerators and plenty of counter and cupboard space. Apartments are kept sparkling clean with bi-weekly housekeeping, Linen service, Two chef-prepared, nutritious meals served in our Dining Room. We cordially invite you to take a personally conducted tour of Springwood today