Shangri-La - Ellicott City, MD

Checked all the boxes for us - friendly, clean, bright facility - activities going on - nice private spaces and rooms/apartments. Excellent tour - very extensive with lots of information and a discussion of the many options available.

Appears to be reasonable cost and benefits.

Clean Property!!

I had recently taken a tour of this community for my loved one and I have no complaints of how things had went. The staff where on time to our appointment and made sure to answer any questions that I had for them. I liked the open floor plan and thought they had a nice selection of amenities for the residents. I personally just thought they did not have the wow factor that I had saw in other places I looked at for my mother.

My dad lived the place!

Very impressed with the staff. They made Mom feel welcome alleviated any concerns about her well being. The atmosphere was warm and inviting without trying to look like a 5 star hotel. We left there asking them to contact us when a vacancy opened up. We are presently in no rush.

Outstanding Friendliness and Cooperation

My sister has been in a few assisted living facilities but none has been better than Shangri La. The staff is outstanding in their friendliness, cooperation, knowledge and willingness to help without complaint. My sister said she has never been more comfortable and relaxed. Her blood pressure has never been better. We are very happy to have found Shangri La.

Safe and Sound

My mother is on a certain medication which requires monitoring and the nursing staff there do a wonderful job and keep me updated. They have fun activities for the residents and the food is good.

He was a happy resident

Coming from a bad nursing home situation, we had no idea if my husband could thrive and be able to manage in an assisted living environment. But the whole experience was much better than expected. We were very pleased with the food. The opportunity to join my husband for meals and mass made both of us very happy. The Thanksgiving celebration was lively; our entire family was invited to come which gave us a chance for all of us to be together for the holiday. [Removed] (I think that was her name) gave extra special care and my husband adored her. The chef was always so accommodating. I would consider going there myself when my time comes for that decision.

Coming Home

My dad lived here for the last couple of years of his life. He had been somewhere else and was so unhappy. Coming here was like coming home for him and his spirits soared. We were so blessed to have found such a loving home for him and he remained peaceful during his time there, After he passed, the staff continued to treat us like family when we attended the father's day Sunday service there. They gave him and a friend of his a wonderful tribute and gave us comfort and love.

NO SMOKING AND VERY DREARY

would highly recommend

I have been extremely pleased Shangri-La. The staff are very efficient and caring. It is a really nice place and I am happy with everything here. I would highly recommend this facility to anyone.

Very nice.

Great place for my mom

People passionate about what they do.Great environment.
amazing staff.,family atmosphere Manager is Excellent very friendly,helpfull and hard working.There is nothing that I don't like about Shangri-La it is excellent place. My mom is happy and am happy.

Great place for my mom

People passionate about what they do.Great environment.
amazing staff.,family atmosphere Manager is Excellent very friendly,helpfull and hard working.There is nothing that I don't like about sunrise it is excellent place. My mom is happy and am happy.

Death Trap

No star. Horrors upon horrors. Please don't put anyone here that can't fend for themselves. I laid awake every night afraid of what would happen in case of fire as we were locked in and our call bells were never answered. I had to scream for help if my husband fell- they would just shut our door and tell us to shut up.

My medicine count was often wrong, and our last day there, we were both overmedicated which put us in the hospital, then rehab and set us both back physically and emotionally. We are both now in terrible shape as a result and will probably not recover to our prior condition

I have reported them to the fire department, police department,, dept on aging, the ombudsman and was aware of the mal treatment and who also reported it and the attorney general. I haven't heard back from anyone and it had been over two months.

The assisted living situation and nursing home situation in Maryland is a disgrace. We have been in many- this one is the worst. They take your money and abandon you unless you fight to be taken care of, and not everyone can. The staff will talk about you as if you were already dead. We miss meals, showers, activities, etc because they forget about us

My only contact with the outside world is my phone, which is often placed out of reach. I have been threatened constantly - if I complain to anyone they will throw us out.

We are out now- via the hospital and a new "home". I pray for those left behind at this house of horrors.

Of the six communities we v...

Of the six communities we visited, Shangri-La was the least attractive, and clearly two steps below the others in quality. The facilities needed new paint, the floor plans were outdated, and the place had a depressing feel. I could not imagine leaving a loved on at Shangri-La, when there are many better options available at the same cost.

Shangri-la It's Not!

This place is depressing as soon as you open the front door. It smells bad and you are faced with a lobby full of people in wheelchairs, half of whom are asleep. My husband entered Shangri-la with our expectation that he would be well cared for. He has Alzheimer's and the staff mis-led us as to their capability to care for Alzheimer's patients. There were almost no activities for the dementia patient. The staff is small and not geared to handle dementia patients, especially those who wander. Therefore these patients often are off some where on their own and can get into trouble. Despite being assured that they were able to care for my husband with his proclivity for wandering, our family was asked to remove him after 8 short weeks because they could not care for him. Shangri-la it's not!

Very small and run down, sm...

Very small and run down, smelly. First thing you see is a dumpster! Room layouts are a little odd. Residents mostly seemed depressed. Manager was very personable and helpful, just not a good facility.

A nice place, but not for us

My loved one lived in this community briefly. It was a nice enough place, it was clean and the staff were friendly. It ended up not being a good fit for her, the environment just didn't mesh well with her, and it was a bit too far for family to visit as often as she'd like.

Good Price, Good Food

It's seems like it's pretty good. They do a pretty good job. They have bingo and sing alongs, worship services on Sundays, movies...about 3 or 4 sheduled activities everyday. My mom doesn't like it but I don't think there's too many places she would be happy. She wants to be in her own home. The food is good. That's the one thing she does like. There are about 60 people so it's moderately sized. The price was good and it was close to home.

1 BR $3240/month + level 1 care - $30...

1 BR $3240/month + level 1 care - $300/month = help with morning get up, dress and help in shower twice a week. Only 4x Jewish residents currently.

Set in a beautiful 2 acre green estate in Ellicott City, Shangri-La was designed for the ultimate living experience. Our 45 apartment community provides residents with the finest services and amenities in a family-oriented, supportive environment. Our care staff is compassionate, friendly, and committed to providing your loved ones with the best service available. At Shangri-La, its a heart connection!