Brighton Gardens of Columbia - Columbia, MD

Not at all good

I rarely weigh in on public forums such as this, but have been so incredibly frustrated with the care provided to my parent at BG Columbia, I decided to add my impressions to the mix. I recognize many of the writers of reviews posted and frankly, rarely see them visiting their loved ones, at least during the day. Perhaps they are only able to visit in the evening, but if that’s the case, I would strongly suggest visiting during the day so you get a better picture of the day to day routine. While there are some kind, caring staff, for most, this is just a job. This is especially true of managers, all of them. I don’t see any effort on their part to create an environment they would want for their own family members. Shameful. I have found bruises on my parent that no one seemed to notice or report, have had to ask repeatedly for showers and hair to be washed, not to mention toileting. Don’t expect them to accommodate your family member’s needs. The corporate line reigns supreme at BG Columbia. Someone once told me that most people who place parents in assisted living are just looking to warehouse them. Apparently that’s the sad case for many, but my parent deserves better.

Sunrise Senior Living

Good Afternoon Amy - we’re sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience. We care deeply about the safety and well-being of our residents and staff. Please contact us at information (at) sunriseseniorliving.com so that we can learn more. –The Sunrise Team

Very professional and informative tour. [Name removed] did an excellent job explaining services and required processes. Property was well-maintained.

A Different Opinion!

We TOTALLY and COMPLETELY disagree with the review entitled "An Epic Failure". We have had a family member in BG for 5+ years and have watched their staff deal with him as his condition has deteriorated and his level of care has increased. We have been VERY PLEASED with what they have done. Our experience with Reminiscence, their director and staff, has been nothing but positive.

An epic failure

Brighton Garden's best is just adequate, but their approach to dementia care is completely inadequate. Be concerned when your loved one is placed on their "memory care" (Reminiscence) unit. Behind locked doors, these residents are the forgotten ones. The corporate website touts a "resident centered dementia care approach." They further state "backed by the latest research, our staff designs programs with stimulating personalized multi-sensory experiences." While this sounds good, the reality at Brighton Gardens of Columbia comes nowhere near these accolades. The activities scheduled by their activities director are most certainly NOT backed by research. Activities are those of decades past-on the Assisted Living side, you'll find Bingo, occasional entertainment, Bingo, trips to the dollar store and area restaurants, Bingo....you get the idea. No creativity, no time spent in planning. On the Reminiscence unit, the calendar is full of inappropriate activities for the population: Coupon Clippers Club (most residents are unable to use scissors); Church Hymns (for the Jewish residents?); Bingo of course, but only 2-3 residents can play. In my time there, multiple activities staff quit, stating that their concerns were not being addressed. Despite their requests for more appropriate materials, including the technology that would allow for actual multi-sensory activities, the Activities Director continues to provide none of these. Brain games make an appearance on the activities calendar, but staff say they have neither the training nor the materials needed, so engagement doesn't happen. There is only so much they can do with construction paper and colored pencils.*

While I made my concerns known, I got nowhere. Nothing changed. As a licensed health care professional, I feel this company is far behind the times where dementia programming is concerned. It was upsetting and disturbing to be on the Reminiscence unit, observing residents sleeping on sofas or in their wheelchairs, nothing meaningful or engaging happening. Corporate visited several times during such episodes, yet nothing changed. The quality of the residents' lives should be of paramount importance, but I saw no evidence of this. Furnishings are old and drab, carpeting worn. I was told that they don't own the building and can't change anything. My request to provide materials to engage residents, a one time purchase of a few hundred dollars, was met
with "not in the budget." With most residents paying 7-8K per month, a few hundred isn't in the budget?

Direct care staff is overworked and underpaid. In addition to caring for your loved one, they are responsible for serving all meals, feeding residents who need help, cleaning the entire kitchen (including loading and unloading the dishwasher) and dining room, setting tables, folding napkins, bringing the garbage out to the dumpster on the opposite side of the building, etc.-3 times/day, while your loved one waits to be toileted. Corporate acknowledged that actual
dining room staff was needed, and they would not allow patient care to suffer. Months later, nothing has changed. Apparently this is also not in the budget. They are quick to raise their prices though. Brighton Gardens even takes a cut from the beauty shop, a cost which is then passed on to families. Consider very carefully whether Brighton Gardens can meet your expectations. They've come nowhere close to mine, based on their assurances prior to signing the contract. As they recently said to me, "If you're not happy, why do you stay?" Guess I thought you were doing something to fix the problems. Apparently not."

Decor was very nice and inviting. Residents seemed very friendly. Rooms seemed a bit small for a couple. I like that you don't have to change rooms if care level changes.

Great place for a Respite stay

My husband's respite stay is going well here. They do offer a lot for the residents to take part in should they want to, there are ice cream socials, dances, penny poker, and bingo, even exercise classes and they keep a calendar for the residents so they know what's coming up. My husband enjoys going to the dining room, he has a special table that he likes to sit at and has made friends there. I feel very comfortable with my husband here.

Great Costumer Service!!

First I want to say that the costumer service during our tour was amazing. The staff really went above and beyond during our tour to make us feel welcomed in there facility. We ended up choosing this place for my mother in the end decision and so far things are going well for her since she made the move. The staff have been wonderful to her and I am comfortable with the care she is being provided. My mother has had no complaints about the meals and enjoys the dinning experience. Overall it has been a great fit and I would recommend it to anyone interested.

Nice decor, friendly staff, residents seem happy & engaged. A few levels of care. Very accommodating and helpful. Seemed like a nice hotel with activities and love that they had a dog in house as a companion.

The most important reason for this high rating is that Mom is happy and active.

Not a bad care home

I am satisfied with this care home, however I am not one hundred percent satisfied. I do not think she is not getting the same personnel care as she was receiving at home. I don't think her personnel needs are being fully met on a daily basis. This is a small home and I think it is well staffed. They offer a television room for the residents to enjoy. I wish they would label the rooms with the residents names to make it easier for them to find their room.

A community with care.

The care that my mom is getting here at this community. The offer good meals and a good variety. My mom is offered to participate with others in activities. The community is clean and theenvironment is wonderful. I like that she is getting great care here. I do recommend this community for the care of a loved one.

Very impressed with what we encountered on the tour. You could tell the staff is invested in the well being of its seniors. This is at the top of our list so far.

After a rocky start, they are starting to get better

After a rocky start, they are starting to get better I would call it up to a four out of five now. We were not pleased by some things that we felt we should have been told to us, as well as their staffing for new patients until they are more settled. There were lost clothes and items right from the beginning. There are some gaps in policy, especially when it comes to transportation in emergency situations. If you had asked me in the beginning I would have given them close to a zero. They have since worked with me to solve my concerns. I'm just not sure that they met our expectations of what we had going in. They are very nice people the place is clean, the people are personable. It's also one of the more reasonably priced places, but the initial on-boarding is less than complete for sure.

Sunrise Senior Living

We’re sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience. We care deeply about the safety and well-being of our residents and staff. Please contact us at information (at) sunriseseniorliving.com so that we can learn more. –The Sunrise Team

The tour with Toni Haver was great!! Facility is lovely (not as sprawling as the Severna Park location) and the residents looked like they really enjoy being there. Toni said they try to create an environment where tenants feel as if they have apartments in a community rather than reside in a more clinical space. The dining area is beautiful with restaurant-style seating and the lobby offers lots of seating groups which foster conversations and socialization. The Activities Coordinator has been there for 17 years, so they have lots of activities including a Mother’s Day Tea and Date Nights for couples!!! I didn't get to see an occupied apartment, but the model apartment was specious and beautifully decorated. The outdoor spaces were gorgeous including the gardens the tenants maintain. I also love Sunrise's philosophy of dedicated care managers rather than rotating shifts of random care givers, which seems to provide continuity of care. Aging in place is also possible in this facility, which is important to our family in particular. I will definitely visit with my Mom for a tour and a meal since they are offering a significant discount off the room rate during the month of May.

Personalized attention

We found Brighton Gardens staff personable, caring and transparent in customer relations. The environment is cheerful, clean and comfortable. We chose Brighton Gardens for our mom based on their focus on honoring individual client preferences. We see this reflected consistently, as her choices are always honored. Brighton Gardens was our first choice in making comparisons for overall care, with factors such as living space, response time and meal options, being critical components for us.
We are very pleased with our decision to move mom to Brighton Gardens.

No Nursing Services

My mother has been at Brighton Gardens for 3 years. At first it was a good fit but as her Heath deteriorates due to her age and dementia, it has become a very bad fit for her. There is NO real nursing care available. The nurses can check temperature, heart rate and blood pressure. That's it. The doctor only visits once a week, so if my mother needs any sort of simple, routine test or check up during the 6 out of 7 days he isn't there, only option is to take her to the ER. Hence, do not expect any increase in nursing services as your parent's needs increase. We had to hire additional nurses and other services just so my mother received consistent medical oversight. In summary, I am very disappointed in Brighton Gardens and wish I had more financial resources so I could take my mother out of this facility.

Very nice place run by Sunrise. The staff was very helpful. The nurse took time out to discuss their care philosophy and give pointers on what to look for. The property was clean and very bright with lots of sunlight. There is nice back yard with a walking path. The location is right smack dab in the middle of Columbia and there are a lot of amenities near by--movie theaters, shopping from Walmart to Target, restaraunts, Wegmans. It's not cheap, runs over $60,000 with the least expensive apartment and the lowest level of care fee.

very nice "Hilton" feel bright rooms, large windows. Shared room was even spacious. Layout felt a little confusing not sure she would get enough attention in the assisted living side...not ready for locked side. only a 30 wander guard option.

Friendly and accommodating staff

Overall everything has gone very well at Brighton Gardens! It's a nice, clean, well kept community, and the staff have all been very friendly. Everyone has been very accommodating and patient with our loved one, and they've taken great care of her! My only complaint is that sometimes the night staff are not quite as patient as the staff that work with her during the day.

Respite Care Experience at Brighton Gardens

My Dad stayed at Brighton Gardens for 3 weeks for respite care while we went on vacation. The staff was very caring, competent, and personable. Relevant activities were available even though my Dad preferred not to participate. The staff was very responsive to my Dad's needs and listened well to his concerns. We filled out a profile and they used this information to introduce him to other residents with similar backgrounds and/or interests. He was seated at meals with 3 other men and 2 of them had prior military service similar to my Dad's experience. This helped him feel more at home. Minimum furniture was provided which is understandable since most residents stay several months or years instead of a respite stay. We provided a pre-paid cell phone instead of activating phone service for this short stay. Furniture provided was a bed, dresser, night table, chair, and lamp. We brought a TV, his favorite chair, end table, card table, and 2 lamps. I felt my Dad was very safe and well taken care of at Brighton Gardens and would contact this facility again as needed. We chose this location so my Dad would be closer to other family while we were away. If it was closer we would definitely consider it for future permanent assisted living if my Dad gets to that point.

very pleased!

They re very friendly, and very accommodating for the patients needs. It was a very positive experience for us and for mom.

Any time we have had issues they have been very helpful in handling them and getting things straightened out.

We are very pleased with Brighton Gardens of Columbia.

nice place

Nice place

A very pleasant, friendly and homy place to be.

It is a place that you will really like and call home. The service is great, the food is excellent and there is plenty of recreation going on. You may join in a lot of activities if you want to or just relax in the nice living room and enjoy talking to people. You can have coffee, fresh fruit, popcorn, etc. all day. There is also a nice library and movies to watch
and visiting musicians, dancers, etc. to listen to and enjoy.

I was here a few times temporarily and would have liked to stay there permanently, but my son lives in Richmond, Va. and I had to move closer to him.

Horrible medication handling

We're leaving. I'm very upset that we had to move her again. The biggest reason and this is the most concerning reason, mom is a diabetic and she's on sliding scale and they knew that but they only have nurses there from 9 to 5 therefore they could not honor the sliding scale so they put her on a fixed amount and when we'd take her to the hospital every doctor asked why. They could not handle their medications well, they would say they couldn't give her medications because they didn't have them but they jsut didn't take the time to look for them. We were there 5 days in a row and not one time did any of them say that she was getting low, when I was two and a half hours away they called to say she was low and I had to drive back and fill it. I never authroized them to fill medications, but they did it through theirs and we got charged 900 dollars, if that had been the only problem it would have been fine but i am really concerned about the nursing and the activities that are not age appropriate

Sunrise Senior Living

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear that you feel the nursing care at this community has not met your family’s needs. We would like to know more details from you. Please email [removed] to tell us more about how we can better serve your needs as the safety and wellbeing of our residents is our top priority. The Sunrise Team

I was really impressed with the staff...

I was really impressed with the staff and their attentiveness towards the residents Brighton Gardens is top notch and could be one of my final choices.

I went on a tour last Thurs. It sound...

I went on a tour last Thurs. It sounds promising since there is a higher percentage of male residence than in other places. Plus they have a men's group and a visiting rabbi. These are all things that are important to us in our search.

Very impressed with the facility and ...

Very impressed with the facility and the interaction of the staff.

wonderful...still considering

wonderful...still considering

Nice place. People were extremely ni...

Nice place. People were extremely nice here.

Very nice place. the Director was a g...

Very nice place. the Director was a great guy. Seems very large and hotel like to us.

My 1st choice for future living.

My 1st choice for future living.

Brighton Gardens of Columbia is located in the planned city of Columbia, Maryland, a city nationally ranked as one of the 10 Best Places to Live by MONEY, CNN, and FORBES. Against the perfect blend of parks, walking paths, and abundant shopping, Brighton Gardens of Columbia offers a beautifully appointed community with a vibrant flair of hotel hospitality.

Residents enjoy a selection of suites including studios, one bedrooms and shared suites with kitchenettes, large bathrooms and plenty of closet space.

Brighton Gardens of Columbia is a much sought after assisted living community with a fine reputation throughout Howard County. It is well known for its perfect blend of medical care, personal care and respect for independence. Additionally, the variety of educational events, live entertainment and social clubs help to maintain the vibrancy of life the residents have always known.

Getting to Brighton Gardens is easy as it is centrally located between Washington, DC and Baltimore, MD and is only 2 minutes off I95.