We are calling you now to better understand your needs.
|Room Type||Monthly Range* (USD)|
$ X,XXX - X,XXX
Get Pricing >
Get Pricing >
Get Pricing >
Click Here to Get Pricing: Get Pricing
* Published prices are provided by the providers themselves, not by reviewers. Actual quotes may differ from what is presented based on timing and services required.
- Meals Provided
- Hospice Available
- Pets Allowed
- Respite Available
- Minimum Age of Accepted Residents
- No Smoking Allowed in Public Areas Indoors
- No Smoking Allowed in Private Areas Indoors
- Indoor Common Areas
- Devotional Services Available
- Activities Onsite
- Resident Parking Available
- Complimentary Transportation
Welcome to HeartLands, a Five Star Senior Living community and Howard County’s premier rental retirement community. We are the only community in the county that offers cottages and apartments. Located on 48 picturesque acres near historic Ellicott City, we are close to antique and specialty shops, restaurants, museums, the symphony, the theater, sporting events, the harbor, rolling hills and even the countryside. We are also conveniently accessible to Washington D.C. and Baltimore. HeartLands at Ellicott City offers 24-hour nurses and staff on site, respectful caregivers, Independent Living, Assisted Living with additional levels of care, group social events and much more. Not only are we pet friendly, but also we offer many lifestyle conveniences, including individual climate control, step-in showers, housekeeping and linen service, full-time maintenance, laundry facilities, controlled access and cable hookup. You will also find residents’ gardens, walking trails, a library, recreation areas, indoor swimming pool with spa and outdoor patios and gardens. Scheduled transportation within a ten-mile radius is available at no extra charge. Our secure and manageable environment welcomes your family and friends anytime! At HeartLands at Ellicott City, a hassle-free life is what we are all about!
As part of Baltimore's metropolitan area, unincorporated Ellicott City, Maryland has enjoyed its long history as the initial terminus on the historic Baltimore and Ohio (B&O) Railroad. The B&O rail, the oldest surviving station in the country, is both a designated National Historic Landmark and a museum. With a robust downtown historic district situated in the basin of both the Patapsco River and a tributary of the Tiber River, this community has earned recognition as the largest unincorporated county in the nation.
Ellicott City is considered part of northeastern Howard County and is home to approximately 65,834 residents, as of the 2010 US Census. Estimated median income in 2015 was $114,916, in no small part due to the city's booming Korean community, which is part of the 23.6 percent Asian population in the area. In 2017, Maryland Governor Larry Hogan dedicated part of the Route 40 corridor as Korean Way to commemorate this community's culture and its efforts to revitalize previously abandoned and declining shopping centers.
Although the cost of living in the Ellicott City area may be considered steep for seniors on a fixed income, it has been hailed as one of the best places to live in the country. Starting in 2005, this community earned a place four times on the Money and CNNMoney.com â€œ20 Best Places to Live in the United States.â€ Columbia, Maryland, to the south of Ellicott City, earned this honor in 2016
- Walkability Score: With a walk score of only 22, it is not likely seniors will walk too far from HeartLands Senior Living Village to take care of errands. This is a car-dependent community.
- Average age in the 21043 Zip Code: The median age in Ellicott City is 42.4 years, compared to 38.3 years for the state of Maryland.
- Number of Senior Housing Facilities in the 21043 Zip Code: Approximately 566 other facilities in the area offer independent living, assisted living, Alzheimer's care and continuing care. In addition to independent and assisted living, HeartLands Senior Living Village provides respite care and short-term stay, as well as rehabilitation.
- Average Weather: The lowest average temperature in Ellicott City has been 1 degree Fahrenheit in January. Even with such bleak cold, snowfalls here are generally light and intermittent. The highest temperature, occurring in hot and humid August, has reached 102 degrees. Spring and Fall offer the most pleasant weather. It rains about 3 to 5 inches each month.
- Veterans Facilities in the Area: There are many options for veterans in the Baltimore area, including VA hospitals, benefits and claims assistance offices, outpatient clinics, cemeteries and veterans' affairs. VA Capitol Health Care Network (Lithicum Heights), US Government VA Maryland Health Care System (Baltimore), VA Medical Center (Baltimore).
At only 11.2 miles away from city center, Baltimore-Washington International (BWI) Thurgood Marshall Airport is the closest local airport to Ellicott City. Glenair Airport is about 10 miles away.
- Buses: Howard County provides public transportation options to seniors and people with disabilities. This system uses energy-efficient electric buses and promotes carpooling. The Regional Transportation Agency of Central Maryland (RTA) offers the CityLink Brown bus 501 and Light RailLink bus 405 (yellow line). Seniors can connect to the Maryland Transit Administration's commuter bus system via the 150 and 345 lines. The closest MARC train is at Dorsey station. Parking is provided at the station off of Route 100.
- Trains: There is access to at least 5 Amtrak stations, including BWI Airport, Baltimore, New Carrollton, Rockville and Washington.
- Taxis: Many taxis focus of transporting residents to and from the major airport, but they are available for hire to many other destinations, including Washington, DC. Ellicott City Taxicab Service, Columbia Airport Taxicab, and Howard County Taxi.
- Ride Shares: Both erideshare and Carpoolworld host a connection service to find rides in the area. Uber and Lyft are also available by downloading each company's apps.
Health and Safety
Ellicott City is relatively safe with only 1.3 violent crimes per 1,000 residents. There is a significantly higher property crime rate of 13.27, which is only a little lower than the national average of 14.61 for both violent and property crimes combined. A person's chances of becoming a victim of a violent crime in Ellicott City is 1 in 747.
- Hospitals in the Area: Sheppard-Pratt Ellicott City, Taylor Manor Hospital, Howard County General Hospital (part of the Johns Hopkins system)
- Crime Rate: Ellicott City is safer than 52 percent of other US cities.
Sports and Leisure
Sports in Ellicott City tend to cater to youth, though Howard County Recreation & Parks offers programs, leagues and camps to players of all ages and skill levels. There seems to be no shortage of places to get sporting equipment, including Ellicott City Motor Sports, Inc. and Play It Again Sports.
- Golf Courses: Turf Valley Resort, Fairway Hills, Waverly Woods
- Tennis Courts/Clubs: Forest Hill Swim and Tennis Club, Wilde Lake, Owen Brown, North Saint Johns Swim and Tennis Club
- Gyms: 50+ Fitness Center, Yoga Center of Columbia, Brickhouse Cardio Club, Elite Shared Fitness Network
Shopping and Entertainment
Because Ellicott City is so near to Columbia, Towson and Baltimore, the array of shopping ventures is almost endless.
Clothes Shopping: Discoveries, Wind River Inc. Sweet Elizabeth Jane, Nordstrom Rack (Columbia), Kohls, Ross Dress for Less, Men's Wearhouse
Grocery Stores: Safeway, Giant, Whole Foods, Wegmans (all in Columbia), Aldi, Lotte Plaza Market, David's Natural Market, Harris Teeter
Restaurants: There are about 171 restaurants, bars and coffee shops in Ellicott City, including The Trolley Stop, Shannon's Saloon, Kelsey's Restaurant, Honey Pig, Eggspectation, One Dish Cuisine and Tersiguel's French Country Restaurant.
Movie Theaters: AMC Columbia 14, United Artists Snowden Square 14, Smith Theatre (the Horowitz Center in Columbia)
Libraries: Howard County Library System, including Miller, Central, Historical Society and Law Library branches.
Senior Friendly Salons: Ooh La Lal, Bombshell, Symmetry, Victoria & Albert. Barber shops: Stella's, Floyd's 99, Sal's. Sports Clips.
Attractions: Clark's Elioak Farm, Main Street, Patapsco Female Institute, Cascade Falls Water Park, B&O Railroad Museum, Shrine of St. Anthony, Ye Haunted History of Olde Ellicott City
Worship practices in Ellicott City are just as diverse as its population. Here are a few of the facilities offering worship opportunities to residents: Emory United Methodist, Baltimore First Seventh Day Adventist, Bethel Korean Presbyterian, Church of the Resurrection, Columbia Chinese Baptist Church, Full Gospel Pentecostal Church, Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witness, Shalom Miracle Church, Columbia Center for Spiritual Living, Beth Shalom Congregation, Dar Al-Taqwa Islamic Center, Maryum Islamic Center, Channing Memorial Church, Unitarian Universalist.