HeartLands Senior Living Village at Ellicott City - Ellicott City, MD

Welcome to HeartLands, a Five Star Senior Living community and Howard County’s premier rental retirement community. We are the only community in the county that offers cottages and apartments. Located on 48 picturesque acres near historic Ellicott City, we are close to antique and specialty shops, restaurants, museums, the symphony, the theater, sporting events, the harbor, rolling hills and even the countryside. We are also conveniently accessible to Washington D.C. and Baltimore. HeartLands at Ellicott City offers 24-hour nurses and staff on site, respectful caregivers, Independent Living, Assisted Living with additional levels of care, group social events and much more. Not only are we pet friendly, but also we offer many lifestyle conveniences, including individual climate control, step-in showers, housekeeping and linen service, full-time maintenance, laundry facilities, controlled access and cable hookup. You will also find residents’ gardens, walking trails, a library, recreation areas, indoor swimming pool with spa and outdoor patios and gardens. Scheduled transportation within a ten-mile radius is available at no extra charge. Our secure and manageable environment welcomes your family and friends anytime! At HeartLands at Ellicott City, a hassle-free life is what we are all about!

City Info

As part of Baltimore's metropolitan area, unincorporated Ellicott City, Maryland has enjoyed its long history as the initial terminus on the historic Baltimore and Ohio (B&O) Railroad. The B&O rail, the oldest surviving station in the country, is both a designated National Historic Landmark and a museum. With a robust downtown historic district situated in the basin of both the Patapsco River and a tributary of the Tiber River, this community has earned recognition as the largest unincorporated county in the nation.

Ellicott City is considered part of northeastern Howard County and is home to approximately 65,834 residents, as of the 2010 US Census. Estimated median income in 2015 was $114,916, in no small part due to the city's booming Korean community, which is part of the 23.6 percent Asian population in the area. In 2017, Maryland Governor Larry Hogan dedicated part of the Route 40 corridor as Korean Way to commemorate this community's culture and its efforts to revitalize previously abandoned and declining shopping centers.

Although the cost of living in the Ellicott City area may be considered steep for seniors on a fixed income, it has been hailed as one of the best places to live in the country. Starting in 2005, this community earned a place four times on the Money and CNNMoney.com “20 Best Places to Live in the United States.” Columbia, Maryland, to the south of Ellicott City, earned this honor in 2016

- Walkability Score: With a walk score of only 22, it is not likely seniors will walk too far from HeartLands Senior Living Village to take care of errands. This is a car-dependent community.

- Average age in the 21043 Zip Code: The median age in Ellicott City is 42.4 years, compared to 38.3 years for the state of Maryland.
- Number of Senior Housing Facilities in the 21043 Zip Code: Approximately 566 other facilities in the area offer independent living, assisted living, Alzheimer's care and continuing care. In addition to independent and assisted living, HeartLands Senior Living Village provides respite care and short-term stay, as well as rehabilitation.
- Average Weather: The lowest average temperature in Ellicott City has been 1 degree Fahrenheit in January. Even with such bleak cold, snowfalls here are generally light and intermittent. The highest temperature, occurring in hot and humid August, has reached 102 degrees. Spring and Fall offer the most pleasant weather. It rains about 3 to 5 inches each month.
- Veterans Facilities in the Area: There are many options for veterans in the Baltimore area, including VA hospitals, benefits and claims assistance offices, outpatient clinics, cemeteries and veterans' affairs. VA Capitol Health Care Network (Lithicum Heights), US Government VA Maryland Health Care System (Baltimore), VA Medical Center (Baltimore).

At only 11.2 miles away from city center, Baltimore-Washington International (BWI) Thurgood Marshall Airport is the closest local airport to Ellicott City. Glenair Airport is about 10 miles away.

- Buses: Howard County provides public transportation options to seniors and people with disabilities. This system uses energy-efficient electric buses and promotes carpooling. The Regional Transportation Agency of Central Maryland (RTA) offers the CityLink Brown bus 501 and Light RailLink bus 405 (yellow line). Seniors can connect to the Maryland Transit Administration's commuter bus system via the 150 and 345 lines. The closest MARC train is at Dorsey station. Parking is provided at the station off of Route 100.

- Trains: There is access to at least 5 Amtrak stations, including BWI Airport, Baltimore, New Carrollton, Rockville and Washington.

- Taxis: Many taxis focus of transporting residents to and from the major airport, but they are available for hire to many other destinations, including Washington, DC. Ellicott City Taxicab Service, Columbia Airport Taxicab, and Howard County Taxi.

- Ride Shares: Both erideshare and Carpoolworld host a connection service to find rides in the area. Uber and Lyft are also available by downloading each company's apps.

Health and Safety

Ellicott City is relatively safe with only 1.3 violent crimes per 1,000 residents. There is a significantly higher property crime rate of 13.27, which is only a little lower than the national average of 14.61 for both violent and property crimes combined. A person's chances of becoming a victim of a violent crime in Ellicott City is 1 in 747.

- Hospitals in the Area: Sheppard-Pratt Ellicott City, Taylor Manor Hospital, Howard County General Hospital (part of the Johns Hopkins system)

- Crime Rate: Ellicott City is safer than 52 percent of other US cities.

Sports and Leisure

Sports in Ellicott City tend to cater to youth, though Howard County Recreation & Parks offers programs, leagues and camps to players of all ages and skill levels. There seems to be no shortage of places to get sporting equipment, including Ellicott City Motor Sports, Inc. and Play It Again Sports.

- Golf Courses: Turf Valley Resort, Fairway Hills, Waverly Woods
- Tennis Courts/Clubs: Forest Hill Swim and Tennis Club, Wilde Lake, Owen Brown, North Saint Johns Swim and Tennis Club
- Gyms: 50+ Fitness Center, Yoga Center of Columbia, Brickhouse Cardio Club, Elite Shared Fitness Network

Shopping and Entertainment

Because Ellicott City is so near to Columbia, Towson and Baltimore, the array of shopping ventures is almost endless.

Clothes Shopping: Discoveries, Wind River Inc. Sweet Elizabeth Jane, Nordstrom Rack (Columbia), Kohls, Ross Dress for Less, Men's Wearhouse

Grocery Stores: Safeway, Giant, Whole Foods, Wegmans (all in Columbia), Aldi, Lotte Plaza Market, David's Natural Market, Harris Teeter

Restaurants: There are about 171 restaurants, bars and coffee shops in Ellicott City, including The Trolley Stop, Shannon's Saloon, Kelsey's Restaurant, Honey Pig, Eggspectation, One Dish Cuisine and Tersiguel's French Country Restaurant.

Movie Theaters: AMC Columbia 14, United Artists Snowden Square 14, Smith Theatre (the Horowitz Center in Columbia)

Libraries: Howard County Library System, including Miller, Central, Historical Society and Law Library branches.

Senior Friendly Salons: Ooh La Lal, Bombshell, Symmetry, Victoria & Albert. Barber shops: Stella's, Floyd's 99, Sal's. Sports Clips.

Attractions: Clark's Elioak Farm, Main Street, Patapsco Female Institute, Cascade Falls Water Park, B&O Railroad Museum, Shrine of St. Anthony, Ye Haunted History of Olde Ellicott City

Religious Facilities

Worship practices in Ellicott City are just as diverse as its population. Here are a few of the facilities offering worship opportunities to residents: Emory United Methodist, Baltimore First Seventh Day Adventist, Bethel Korean Presbyterian, Church of the Resurrection, Columbia Chinese Baptist Church, Full Gospel Pentecostal Church, Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witness, Shalom Miracle Church, Columbia Center for Spiritual Living, Beth Shalom Congregation, Dar Al-Taqwa Islamic Center, Maryum Islamic Center, Channing Memorial Church, Unitarian Universalist.

Nice Tour Of This Community

I toured this community for my father, and his needs everything went well, and everyone was kind. The community from what I saw was clean, and appeared to be well-kept. The staff I met was friendly. I did find another community that met our needs better, but my tour of this facility was nice.

Did Not Have Memory Care

When we were looking for options for my dad and not knowing exactly what we were going to do we had taken a tour of this community. It was a nice place it appeared clean and well kept. The staff seemed to be friendly at the time. However, my major issue was that they only offered assisted living and not memory care and I knew I was going to need memory care at some point.

Nice facility

We toured the HeartLands Senior Living Village at Elliott City. It was a nice facility and was nicely landscaped. It had a wide open lay out where the dining area was quite a distance for the residents to have to walk to the dining area from their rooms. I thought this might prove difficult for my mom. We chose another community that was a better fit for her needs.

Parents are Pleased

Everything is working out well for my parents with their move to this community. It is a nice community, and I'am satisfied. I do feel they are safe, and in good hands at this community. They are doing well. I would recommend this community, it is working out well for my parents.

Heartlands has been very good for [removed]. He likes the food an the staff are very caring with him. I cannot see the whole screen. The only thing I can do is fill in this part. I am only seeing the right hand of the screen.

Pleasant Tour of This Community

I had a pleasant tour of this community. Everything went well, and they were very kind to my family and I. From what I saw everything looked neat and tidy. All the staff I met was friendly and kind. There were many factors that played into where to place my mother. Unfortunately it wasn't the place for us.

A very good place for independent living

I choose Heartlands for my mother. The staff is caring and recognize and know the residents. The residents are friendly, have great attitudes, and are welcoming to new comers. Heartland's menus are very good and the portions are perfect but food quality-preparation is inconsistent. Table china is old-style ugly institutional. The residents' breakfast area (and lunch if they choose) is a small café-cafeteria; it wasn't clean on the day I used it. I reported that to management and management jumped on it. The independent living apartments are connected to the main building by a corridor; residents don't have to go outside in inclement weather. It is a fairly long walk to the main building. Residential areas have "local" living rooms. The local living rooms are set up with hot beverages, game tables, a TV, and newspapers and books to encourage residents to interact with one another; it works! At dinner time, many residents use rolling walker-chairs to get to the dining room; along the way is a water station with lemon-flavored water, a large bird house with gorgeous tiny birds, and, several rest areas with beautiful views. There is no on-demand transportation; the shuttle van only operates at dinner time. Overall, this facility is very good; the residents like living there, like each other, and will tell you to join them!

A Good Experience

We called and made an appointment, but they had no record of it, but they still provided someone to give us a tour of the facility. We couldn't get all the information at the time though, so someone had to call us back, but other than that, it was good experience.

Positive Experience Across The Board

My mother is fitting in very, very nicely. The staff is very friendly and courteous. Across the board it has been done very well. The sales staff is very good, they accurately portray the property and the experience and it measured up to what I was expecting. The dining and food is excellent. It depends on demand, but I think they could provide a little more for breakfast. I would like to see a little more automated doors as well. Overall, I am very impressed with it and my mom is happy there.

Very nice place

My loved one stayed here briefly, and overall I thought they did an excellent job. It was a nice looking, clean facility, and the staff were all very friendly and professional.

Happy at Heartlands

We are so pleased with Heartlands overall. Our mother has been living there for 4 months and is really happy with her new residence. She especially comments on the friendliness of the staff and the quality of the food and services. The activities that are offered are varied and plentiful. Her studio apartment is comfortable but dated and small for the price in our market area.

It's working out, they are doing a good job so far.

It's working out, they are doing a good job so far. I don't have any concerns, no complaints about food or anything. We are pretty happy with them so far.

Review of HeartLands SL Village at Ellicott City Assisted Living in Ellicott City, MD

This is not a secure location. My mother is currently in a gated retirement community. She would not feel safe with the way it is laid out. I was surprised and how cluttered the entrance was. I was turned off by the appearance. The marketing staff was very friendly on the phone however.

I am taking this opportunity to both ...

I am taking this opportunity to both write and state what a wonderful place Heartlands at Ellicott City is.
I have lived here at Heartlands for 8.5 years. When I first moved here, it was with my husband (who later passed away). We were both happy. We soon made friends, and became involved in different activities that are offered here. The food is good, offering many different choices. In fact, the dining staff is open to suggestions made by the residents.
The staff is always warm and helpful, and are on call 24/7. In fact, not long after my husband and I moved in, our heating and air conditioning unit broke down. It was a Sunday, but after my call, within an hour the old unit was taken out and a new one was installed.
When I became ill, and was hospitalized, members of the staff called and visited me.
Our director has an "open-door" policy and residents are encouraged to see her whether it be with positive or negative concerns.
My husband and I had "shopped around" before choosing Heartlands and we never regretted making Heartlands our choice.

Mom is so happy

My brothers and I visited over a dozen senior assisted living facilities in the area before touring the Heartlands at Ellicott City. We were determined to find the best home we could for our mother who was unable to continue living on her own. The Heartlands appeared to us to be the best fit for her. She has been there over a year and we are very pleased with out decision - as is she. The inviting campus, clean and well kept, encourages you to visit the facility. We were offered different room floor plans from which to choose to suit our budget as well as space requirements.
There is a calendar of daily activities designed to stimulate the residents' mental, physical and emotional needs. Three meals a day are provided for the assisted living residents and a new chef has improved on what was already a great dining experience. We enjoy dining with our mother a couple days a week which is a very nice option and very reasonably priced. My mother's medical needs were of paramount importance in our selection of a new home for her and the Heartlands provides the excellent care we desired. Her medications are carefully monitored and administered daily. She has access to a nurse 24/7 to attend to any extra help she may need. Her physical needs have deteriorated recently and her level of care was quickly adjusted to help ensure her safety. It's amazing how many of her medical needs can be met right on the Heartlands campus. It is a wonderful facility and it is obvious to us that the entire staff at the Heartlands really cares for the health and well being of their residents.

Home in every sense of the word

My husband and I came to Heartlands after visiting almost every retirement facility in the greater Baltimore area. There were many things that appealed to us about Heartlands: no large amount of money was required to "buy-in" to the community, it could house 250 residents - making it smaller than most such places, the campus was attractive and well kept, the contract we signed clearly delineated the terms of our lease and based upon other senior living residences, we felt the monthly rent covered our needs and was very fair. Our experience while living here has only exceeded those first impressions. The entire staff has been very considerate and attentive to our well-being and never intrusive. Our evening meal has always included three entrees from which to choose and the dining experience has been excellent. My husband, who had a number of physical problems, passed away last year and I have chosen to remain here. Heartlands is my home in every sense of the word and our children have said our move here was the greatest gift we could ever give them.

Heartache at Heartlands

In early fall, I helped my parents relocate to Heartlands. By early the next year, my father had died, in part due to the stress related to living at Heartlands. Staff at Heartlands entered my parents' apartment without informing them. They were extremely rude, unhelpful and condescending.

The cost was exorbitant. Following the loss of my dad, my mother could no longer stay at the apartment but they continued to charge her for several months after she moved. They were not aggressive in marketing the apartment, I believe, instead content to just collect the exorbitant amount of over $4,000 a month from her despite the fact all of her belongings had been moved.

Also, the food was atrocious! My mother become sick with nausea and diarrhea several times due to the food. My dad refused to eat it after getting sick once from it.

Please, if you are considering moving here or have an older family member who is considering a move to Heartlands, RECONSIDER.

Your life and well-being may depend on it.

Five Star Reviews

Thank you for your response and feedback. I am sorry your parents had a negative experience here at Heartlands. Our goal is to provide excellent care and services for seniors. Heartlands strives to maintain 100% resident and family satisfaction. I sincerely apologize for your negative experience here. I will be glad to discuss your concerns directly; as we never give up trying to satisfy everyone. Please feel free to contact me at the community. Sharon Kruskamp, Executive Director

Very nice community!

So far everything has been great at HeartLands! It's a very nice looking community, and everyone has been very friendly! They made the moving process so easy! The two girls we worked with in the marketing department really went out of their way to be available any time we needed them to help ease the process!

great assisted living location

-For a senior that is still social, this is a perfect facility. Lots of activities during the day..
-Heartlands NEVER smells bad.
-Wellness Center knows each patient and calls them by name during the day.
- I know my mom is safe in this facility.
- I know her meds are being given each day.
Employees of Heartlands are very cheery and happy.

HeartLands made a great imp...

HeartLands made a great impression with well maintained facilities, lovely grounds, and many options for residents to remain active. We visited the independent living residences, which offered several options for type of unit, layout, and location. The common areas such as the dining room, library, barber/hair dresser and exercise/physical therapy room were clean, well maintained, and pleasant. The grounds are bautiful and offer lots of space for those that enjoy walking outdoors. A clear winner within the half a dozen communities we visited.

I loved the facility and th...

I loved the facility and the cottages would be perfect.I liked the space of the campas and the services offered. The only thing that would steer me away from Heartland is the price.

It's all going well, we do like it, they were very accommodating.

It's all going well, we do like it, they were very accommodating. They are very nice, and we are happy with it. We weren't very happy with the last place we were. This place is good though, I give it five stars.

Heartlands was my first choice.

Heartlands was my first choice. I really liked that they had an indoor pool. They were clean and friendly, but it was not mom’s first choice. They also were not as close as I would hope.

Very nice place with good a...

Very nice place with good amenities. Staff appears to be caring. Not sure we could afford it. Appeared to be very clean.

They do a very good job.

She is safe there, which was very important. She functions very well on her own. They just started the brand new independent living plus program. They contract with an outside company to come in and we pay them seperately for her care needs. My hope was that she would get involved with more of the activities during the day. If she was in the assisted living they would assign a person to her and get her involved in the different activities. They don't do that for the independent residents. I would like it if we had the option for that. The food is good, and at least at breakfast and dinner she is getting to socialize and interact. They do make an effort to sit her with people she can talk to.

Heartlands: Great Choice

My mom is really enjoying her move to Heartlands. The staff is friendly and caring, the food is great, and the apartment is very nice. The size of this senior housing development is perfect! It was really a great move for her.

I think this place is great...

I think this place is great. Larger, sunnier, and more features than Brightview Catonsville.

I had previously been to Heartland Se...

I had previously been to Heartland Senior Living Village when my daughter's Girl Scout troop had performances there. When I needed a place for my mom I went back there and liked it. My mom is still adjusting but she has already made some friends.

I love this place, especially the cot...

I love this place, especially the cottages. I thought that I wanted an apartment, but now I have changed my mind. I feel that at this stage of my life a cottage is the way to go and later on move into an apartment when I get older. Heartlands is now my number one choice. EXCEPT that I wish it was not so far out from where I currently live, but can deal with that.

Grounds look good. Online write-up good.

Grounds look good. Online write-up good.

My mom really liked Heartlands, and I...

My mom really liked Heartlands, and I appreciated the information they provided. It's a large facility, which made it a little hard for my mom to get around.

She really liked Heartlands, and I ap...

She really liked Heartlands, and I appreciated the information they provided. It's a large facility.

We scheduled our own tour here when I...

We scheduled our own tour here when I saw on their website that they offer tours on weekends. This is (so far) our #1 choice. They have a fantastic physical therapy area, which overlooks a heated swimming pool area. They have religious services available. We liked that every floor had multiple gathering areas. The rooms were a good size, too. The activities director was our tour guide and it was clear that she has an excellent relationship with the residents. The residents were hanging around all over the place -Almost best of all is the fact that Heartland is right next to Ellicott City Health and Rehabilitation Center (nursing home), which we also toured. The nursing home (which is not affiliated with Heartlands although they're next door neighbors) also focuses on active rehab.

We scheduled our own tour here when I...

We scheduled our own tour here when I saw on their website that they offer tours on weekends. This is (so far) our #1 choice. They have a fantastic physical therapy area, which overlooks a heated swimming pool area. They have religious services available and they have other Spanish Speaking residents. We liked that every floor had multiple gathering areas. The rooms were a good size, too. The activities director was our tour guide and it was clear that she has an excellent relationship with the residents. The residents were hanging around all over the place - which we liked, because my mom likes to see lots of people around her. Almost best of all is the fact that Heartland is right next to Ellicott City Health and Rehabilitation Center (nursing home), which we also toured. This would be a nice option if my mom needs to (at first) be in a nursing facility while dad lives in assisted living. They could visit each other without our needing to get transportation - How convenient. The nursing home (which is not affiliated with Heartlands although they're next door neighbors) also focuses on active rehab. rather than being a place where the patients are waiting to die.

This is the facility of choice so far...

This is the facility of choice so far. Their nursing office on each floor and focus on improving residence quality of life is excellent. Residence were happy and engaged in activities and the facility was bright and clean.