disappointed

Sedgewood went and observed my father at an Assisted Living facility to see if he would be a good fit. They said they could take care of him. We moved him there, but within 6 weeks, they sent him to P6 at Maine Med and that was 2 months ago. I have gotten ONE phone call about this in the 2 months they sent him there. They also sent him with nothing, no extra clothing, no dentures...
Maine Med has informed me that Sedgewood would not take my father back. No call to me though????
This has been such an awful, stressful and exhausting experience. I could not be more disappointed.
Arent they supposed to be the experts in Alzheimers and Dementia care?? My brothers and I believe they want the quiet elderly folks in a wheelchair that dont cause a disturbance. Extremely disappointed

Caring staff

This review is based not on a mere visit, but on my mother's stay of several months (on a skilled-care wing) late in her illness.

The care here is excellent, and the staff is quirky (in the best possible way), caring, and loving. It means something, I think, that after my mother's passing the best condolence card I received was from the Sedgewood Commons staff. They really do care about their patients, and it makes a difference.

In contrast to traditional nursing homes, the wings at Sedgewood Commons have a big open area with rooms around the periphery. Most residents spend most of their days out in this area, eating their meals there, engaging in various activities, watching TV, walking, or just sitting. This is much better for the residents than sitting in a hospital-like hallway and crowding into a small lounge area at meal times, as we experienced at other facilities.

The only negative is that, through no fault of anyone, in the late afternoon things could get a bit, well, crazy. Some of the residents were loud, especially late in the day. But again, what could anyone do? Whenever a resident would start getting upset, the staff responded immediately and did their best to calm them. It's the nature of the thing.

OK, there is one more negative. It's in Maine, but even in Maine it can get warm sometimes, and they have only window air conditioners and none in the rooms. During the first real warm spell of the spring, it got hot, and it was obvious that the residents felt the effects. They put in the a/c units quickly, but it took a couple of days for the place to cool down.

Overall, though, a great experience. In a place like this, the staff makes all the difference, along with the layout of the place. The staff is wonderful, and the layout is optimal. Recommended.