Riverview Estates - Riverton, NJ

Riverview Estates Highly Recommendable

As my mother-in-law entered into her advanced stages of dementia, we struggled to find a home that would provide a satisfactory level of care. Moving her from this care facility to that one, we became dissatisfied with every facility she entered for one reason or another. With our continued quest for the best care possible within our budget constraints, we chose Riverview Estates. Within the first week, all levels of scepticism were eliminated judging by the knowlegeable, caring, friendly, fully engaged and helpful staff.

At most other facilities, many staff members would be observed detracted from their jobs by non-business related cell phone and other electronic device uses. At Riverview Estates, however, the staff always seemed fully engaged with the residents and were constantly "on the go!" My three sister-in-laws and myself have all been impressed by the behaviors observed and practiced at Riverview Estates. We all find it highly recommendable.

Assisted Living vs Nursing Care

When my mother was in assisted living I would have given a rating of 5/5 but when she was moved to the nursing the rating dropped to a 1/5. My mother resided in assisted living for 9.5 years where the care was exceptional. The last 1.5 years prior to her passing she was in the nursing unit where the care was highly unacceptable. Several of her personal possessions went missing including the family Bible and a family portrait. Upon her death several pieces of her jewelry were "gone". It seems that once changes were made in administration and staff over the past few years the home has not lived up to its once exceptional reputation. To have someone from the administration tell me that they moved their own mother out of the nursing unit to live at home was very shocking. If you need assisted living this is a great place but be forewarned if you are moving to the nursing unit.

Not one complaint1

My Mom was there for nearly 9 years before she recently passed away there. Before going there, I checked with friends who work at county Board of Social Services, re; any feedback as well as my podiatrist who travels to many facilities within the county giving care to residents. Both recommended Riverview for level of care , little staff turnover. I have had experiences with some of the more "modern" facilities with fancy decor, movie theaters, happy hours, etc. when my Mom needed rehab care. I had horrible experiences- one nearly killed my Mother, others I had bad experience with condition I found my Mother in, etc.
She started out in assisted living, then later went to nursing care there. I have not one complaint. I was so happy with the activities for residents in both programs. Assisted living has about 3-4 trips per week - a store like Target or Walmart, a restaurant like Prospectors or Red Lobster, activity such as Smithville, New Hope , Trenton Thunder, ride to see holiday lights, etc. In addition there are visits from a local school ( Adopt a Grandparent) , entertainers, movies, bingo etc. Even on the Nursing unit, I visited chapel with my Mom on Sundays, saw entertainment programs, visited music therapy, etc. The biggest plus for me was the fact that I saw basically the same staff members through my years there - seems to be very little turnover. I felt staff really knew and cared for my Mom, showed her such love and care, went out of their way to talk with her, get to know her. I am extremely grateful to Riverview for the loving care they gave my Mother.

My Other Tour

It was a nice and huge facility. It seemed to have a lot of older residents. It has a much older atmosphere feeling. The guide gave me full attention and gave a thorough tour. The also had an initial fee of $25,000, I was a little skeptical of this. Over all, it was not a right fit for my step-mom.

Depressing atmosphere, old-...

Depressing atmosphere, old-fashion decor, saw no activities going on

Great place, but no private room for dad

I really liked it there, it was older and seemed real homey, but for my dad, I don't think they had a private room and it was hard to get one. My dad likes to watch sports and he didn't want to share a room with anyone and he needs his own bathroom and shower in his room.
They were wonderful there, I would totally recommend this place, they have a resident dog that lives there, the people were very nice and you'd never have to leave. You can go from assited living to memory to nursing and not have to go somewhere else.

very hard to contact staff...

very hard to contact staff, but it's summer and she was out most of the week. Office wasn't sure of her schedule. Visited Fri. 6/28. Not doable for Mom. Has a clinical/hospital feel and set-up. Not what we're looking for.

Only accepts patients over 65.

Only accepts patients over 65.

Riverview Estates is a faith-based community serving a diverse aging population and their families by providing a continuum of care with respect, acceptance, dignity and joy.