Prestige Senior Living Southern Hills - Salem, OR

Great Place Great People

The employees are very friendly and outgoing . The residents invited mom to sit down and play cards with them and the facility was beautiful.

Management needs work

Caregivers do a pretty good job but management gave us nothing but problems which does trickle down to caregivers too. It looks like a beautiful facility but I would rather have better care than looking good on the outside.

Going very well!

We toured this place while looking into senior living options for Mom, and she absolutely fell in love with it! It's a beautiful, clean place, and everyone seemed very friendly! She's been here a few weeks now, and it's been as perfect as we hoped during the tour!

Brother Seems Satisfied

My loved one seems like he is satisfied there at Prestige Senior Living Southern Hills. I gave this place a four-star overall rating and many of the other categories are equally rated, except for the value which I gave a three-star rating.

Took a tour of this building and I do NOT recommend moving your loved ones here.
Unprofessional.
[removed]
The looks on some of the resident's faces as they attempted to eat the food.
And the building overall seems poorly ran.
I also noticed staff are more concerned about breaks.
Unfortunately, dissatisfied and unimpressed.

Top of the line.

The Prestige Senior Living Southern Hills has been top of the line. Everything has been excellent. The location is perfectly fine. I would say that the food is adequate or above adequate. The communication with the staff has been very good. Everyone there is very friendly and helpful. I would recommend the Prestige Senior Living to anyone. I can't rate the Value and Activities because it is not applicable.

Seems like a nice place

We toured this community while looking into senior living options for a loved one. I thought this seemed like a nice place overall, and probably would have been our second choice. The staff were friendly and professional, and the facility seemed clean and well kept. Definitely worth a look, if you're searching in the area!

Cannot recommend Southern Hills

I absolutely cannot recommend Prestige Living at Southern Hills. My relative lived there for many years. When the new management took over, they started to be very rude and unprofessional to my relative. They tried everything they could to shame my relative to leave. The State Ombudsman said they violated his rights and we could sue them. [removed], the administrator bragged that when she took over, she moved 4 residents out of their home right away. (She was proud of forcing elderly people out of their homes). The care went downhill and there is always a very high staff turnover. The Management is extremely unprofessional - they don't answer emails, they deliberately moved meetings so they wouldn't have to meet with relatives, they went against hospital/medical advice, they failed
to put safety items in care plans, they have made mistakes administering medications. Rather than deal with this unprofessional management, we moved our relative to a different assisted living facility. We didn't want our relative subjected to further shaming and [removed].

My Mother lived at Southern Hills for about 8 weeks. I found the facility to be pleasant and efficient. I was happy with the results of any request that I made of the staff. My Mother did complain quite often about the food. Mom did not settle well with an Assisted Living environment, I think it was more of an issue with Mom rather than the facility.

Great Staff

Would recommend 100%

Poor Management

February 2015
The care staff is friendly, busy, very attentive and are constantly going back and forth to assist their residents.
There's always new staff.
Unfortunately, it seems there isn't enough help to carry on with activities of daily living.
I noticed their current management doesn't seem to put their residents wishes, opinions and needs first; but money, overworking their staff and reeling in new residents instead.
Ambulance visitation has increased, which is a bad sign.
According to a family member who visited on occasion, the food quality is no good, disorganized and takes a long time to come out. Residents are constantly dissatisfied. The caregivers are trying, but it is not enough.
There was no teamwork, support/help from supervisors, or communication from what was observed and it is VERY unfortunate for the residents who currently live there. I would not recommend putting your family in Southern Hills.
You will pay a lot of money for poor quality service.

There were concerns.

There were concerns. They overestimated their abilities, to take care of memory care. They were just training their people while we were there, to be able to care for memory care. We would find her not changed, and a bowl of oatmeal in front her. They never once cleaned her dentures, even after repeatedly asking them to do so. Eventually a family member found her on the floor with a broken hip. I would not recommend anyone to go here.

I think they have done a real good job with my brother.

I think they have done a real good job with my brother. It's very clean. The staff is very friendly. They have good communication, and they are very responsive and attentive. They are pretty good in encouraging him to participate. We really liked the location, and there haven't been any complaints about the food.

Very nice place

We toured this place while looking into care options for our loved one. It was very clean, and the staff were all friendly. It wasn't the sort of care we were looking for for our loved one at the time, but it was still a very nice looking place.

They've been very good so far, they have a lot of activities for the residents to do. He is getting involved in the activities more now. He seems to eat fine and enjoy it. Some of the new staff that's just coming in are still learning their job. They are still transitioning from Bonaventure. I think they are a little overwhelmed. They had an open house to introduce the new staff, but they didn't really introduce who was who, they went around and answered questions, and introduced themselves, but there was no general introduction so we don't know who we need to talk to now and who is in charge of what.

New Management

They recently changed management and so old management was great but the new management I’m not so sure about yet. I don’t know whether it a transitional thing or what but they don't seem as attentive to my needs and my mother's needs. I think the care is pretty good. There are plenty of activities. They have card games all the time, social time, outings, exercise class. My mom isn’t taking advantage of those but they are there. The value is kind of hard to judge because we recently had to increase the care which increased the price.

I think they're very attentive and do what needs to happen with mom. The other weeks I asked them to please encourage mom to go on the drive that they have a couple times a week. One of the ladies called me to let me know there was a drive but mom had physical therapy scheduled and asked me what I would like them to do. I thought that was very thoughtful.

My Mother's Health Declined and She Didn't Get The Care She Needed

When my mom and dad moved there it was absolutely the right place for them. They had all the activities that they needed and my mom was quite involved in those. She started having some issues with falling down and walking and they just weren't giving her the care she needed. I don't believe they really paid attention to her diet so her insulin and blood sugar were kind of on a roller coaster. When she started falling they weren't really around to know why she was falling. They started keeping her in her room and not letting her participate in the activities anymore because they weren't staffed to give her the care she needed. During that time her health went from walking and participating to sitting in her room by herself and not being able to eat on her own.

Located in the south neighborhood of Salem, Oregon, Southern Hills Assisted Living Community sits in a quiet neighborhood setting surrounded by beautiful mountain views. Our community gives you the services you need, delicious meals and a host of amenities in a gracious setting that has been designed with your comfort and security in mind. Call for your personal tour and reserve your apartment today!

At Southern Hills Assisted Living Community, the choice is yours!