Prestige Senior Living Orchard Heights - Salem, OR

My mom was a resident at Prestige Orchard Heights 2 1/2 months. She became Ill and required hospitalization and, after that, further care in a nursing facility. She was scheduled to discharge back to Orchard Heights but on the day of her discharge, the director there informed us there was no longer room for her. In other words, we were misled and my mother was being discharged with no where to live. This left me scrambling to figure out what to do. The director NEVER contacted me or let me know that this outcome was a possibility. Thankfully, the staff at the nursing facility offered to help with making other arrangements. In my opinion, Orchard Heights is being run by very unprofessional, uncaring people. What other explanation is there when a frail, 90 year old woman is turned away without any notification. My mom is going to be ok-no thanks to the staff at Orchard Heights. Stay away from this place. Their main goal is getting as much money as they can. The residents mean NOTHING to them.

Current resident

The community has a very family friendly feeling. The caregivers work really hard, and treat us residents like family. There are lots of different types of activities to get involved in, but it's up to you how much you do.

The food can be hit or miss, and sometimes the housekeeping could be better. Overall, I enjoy living here.

Family atmosphere

When asked how Barbara and I like Orchard Heights, we would have to say that in all respects (layout, condition, care staff, maintenance, food and cleaniliness) we would rate it 1st class. We like it very much. Thank you!

Great social experience

Coming here was not my first choice of where to live. However, after the initial adjustment period, I have grown to love this place- and the staff.

The staff and residents keep good company, and arrange big, exciting social events on a regular basis. The caregivers help me with my housekeeping and my medications, and have done a great job keeping me healthy.

The entire staff knows and remembers my family by name, and now they are part of OUR family.

I love this place, and I never plan to leave.

Life at Orchard Heights

Living at Orchard Heights is not the same as living in your own home. In a way, it's better. You don't have to do your own cooking, cleaning, or laundry if you don't want to.

Also, the kitchen provides three meals a day, with one special for each meal, or alternate options if you prefer. Your apartment is cleaned for you once per week, and if you don't want to wash your own clothing, staff will do it for you.

There is no need to worry about your medications, because they are delivered to you per doctor's orders.

There are a myriad of activities in which to participate, and several clubs (pinochle, poker, crafting). We also go on several excursions throughout each month (all optional), like: casino trips, out to lunch, out to dinner, scenic drives, theater night, etc. If there is some activity you prefer to do, speak up and staff will likely accomodate.

The administration and staff are VERY friendly and responsive to residents, and always follow through on promises. Orchard Heights really has a great community feel, and truly feels like family.

I will say, the one thing that could be improved is the consistency of the food. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's not.

Poor care and communication

My significant other was there. My list of negatives could be endless. This happened about a year ago. Food was terrible. If I attended a meeting for residents about the food, I was told by the director it was none of my business and not to say anything although I ate there often and knew what was served. Food was bad and at times they had to send out for meals. My SO was on a sodium free diet. He was told they didn't make allowances for that and that he just shouldn't eat the things with a lot of salt. No alternatives were offered. At one point he did not have his night time insulin for about a week because they said the doctor did not answer their FAX. When I asked the nurse why they did not just call the doctor, she said she would end up on hold. I would think that common sense would tell anyone that the receptionist would have to check with the doctor before giving any advice.
They said they could not reach him after 5PM. They never followed the instructions on the recording as to who to call after hours. Just waited about a week. After 5 PM they would just send him to the ER regardless of the problem. They even told him he could not check his glucose more than once a day even when he knew from experience it was high. At one point he asked me to help him change his clothes. His sweat pants were wet and literally soaked. Once off, I saw that his legs were triple their size and beet red and draining. Took him to the doctor the next day and he spent the next week in the hospital due to edema. How would it be that his bath aid did not see this? They would not allow a resident to accompany him outside because he could not get the door to open without help in his wheelchair. They said he could not go out alone if he needed help. [removed] So many lies they had about everything. [removed] I could go on but no need of it. I would suggest that if you have someone there, watch them very carefully. [removed]

No complaints here!

The facility is very clean, and the staff is great. I can't think of anything bad to say, everything seems pretty good overall and the food is excellent!

clean place, poor communication

My mother was there at Prestige Senior Living Orchard Heights for only a month before she ended up in the hospital. We are now in the process of moving her somewhere else as the level of care she needs is more than what they provide.

It was a very clean place, and they were always very nice and friendly with mom.

Their communication, however, has not been too great. None of them call me back when they say they will.

excellent care

My mother was there at Prestige Senior Living Orchard Heights for about eight weeks and she had excellent care the entire time she was there. They spoke to her all the time, showed that they were really genuinely concerned, and made the last few days of her life as pleasant as possible.

Beautiful but more like a hotel than a home.

We looked at this when we were touring. It was very pretty, but it felt more like a hotel than someones home. Everyone was pleasant, and friendly. The food was really excellent. They just weren't as close to our house and wasn't the best fit for our personality.

Courteous

They have a friendly and courteous staff. The food is good food. There is enough parking, but then we tend to park in the evenings. They do have outside areas for family and residents to enjoy. The activities could be a little bit better.

Great, but No Medicaid

Very nice community!! The problem was that they don't take Medicaid at all, ever, and we knew that eventually my parents would need to use Medicaid. The were out of the running, but not because we didn't like them!

Not Good At All

When mom lived there she never participated in anything. Her room back at the end of the hall and only came out for meals. The rest of the time she was sitting in bed watching TV.

My mom lived there for years. She moved in when my dad was still alive and he passed away and so she was there by herself. There seemed to be an extreme amount of turnover in the staff there. When she first went in there I thought it was good but I didn't really have anything to compare it to. It just got to where her room was never clean and she wasn't clean so it was not good at all. I really felt like when I would call about things that they weren't being truthful with me. I really can't say anything good about them.

Nestled in the hills of West Salem, Oregon, Orchard Heights Senior Community’s four-story building offers lovely downtown and mountain views. Orchard Heights is an assisted living and memory care community, the latter focusing on care for those with Alzheimer’s and related dementia. Call for your personal tour and reserve your room today! Dignity, Choice and Independence are more than just words at Orchard Heights Senior Community, they are the basis of our care philosophy.