Parkwood Retirement - Bedford, TX

Review of Parkwood Retirement Community

What a wonderful place here! The people living here at Parkwood are friendly and caring. Our director, [name removed], and the other management leaders are fantastic! They are keeping us active and involved in many things that are fun, knowledgeable and entertaining. Also the meals are very good and the kitchen personnel are excellent. I'm happy!! I couldn't be in a better place than Parkwood Retirement.

Review of Parkwood Retirement Community

I have been very happy with my living at Parkwood. Everyone on the staff knows my name. If I don't show up for a meal, someone either comes to my apartment of calls to make sure I am ok. There are numerous activities in which I can participate if I chose. The staff, and other residents, are all very friendly and helpful. We are like family. I could say more, but no more room!

Review of Parkwood Retirement Community

Parkwood living is the best choice I could have made. Activities are varied and fun under Haine's direction. Besides activities, food is great. I am trying and eating food I thought I disliked. The food is delicious! Besides activities and food, the complete staff (admin and all of the staff works cohesively and know everyone by name) Residents are welcoming and look to help newcomers. Parkwood was the best choice formed.

THE PERFECT PLACE FOR MOM

Mom has lived at Parkwood for about 6 years now and couldn't be happier. The loving care and attention she receives is exceptional. There are plenty of activities and social events to keep her active and engaged. Our family thinks this is the perfect place for her.

Mark Gustafson

Thank you very much for your kind words. We are grateful to have the opportunity to have your mother as part of our community.

When my mom moved out of her home 7 years ago she wanted to move to a place that was a family and Parkwood was the place. She has been so happy there. The staff take care of her like their own family. I have such peace of mind knowing that she is in a safe place where she is loved and well cared for.

Satisfied Caregiver

My mom has resided at this facility (Senior Living) for more than a year. She is extremely happy with the meal service and general security. The staff performs daily non intrusive wellness checks on all of their residents. They employ a security feature that monitors the apartment door, and If the resident's door has not opened for a day, the staff will verify that the resident is safe and well. There are daily activities and weekly transportation offered to local department and grocery stores. Both my mother and I are extremely satisfied with our choice of Parkwood Retirement Bedford.

My dad loved everything about this place, but was just hesitant about the distance there will be between him and I and the fact that he just isn't familiar with his surroundings. We did, however, put a deposit down on an apartment there that has a fenced in private yard space for his dogs. Unless he changes his mind and finds something he likes better or becomes unwilling to move from his current home, the tentative move in date would be by 2/20/18

My parents were very hesitant to leave their home and move to a retirement community. They have been at Parkwood for over a year now, and both will tell you that this move was one of the best decisions they have ever made. They now have new friends, eat better, and are so much more active than they were at home. The removal of the stress that comes with maintaining a house and figuring out meals has improved their overall health in general. Parkwood has a very homey feel to it in that the residents are very friendly, and the entire staff is caring and knows the residents by name. If I could give the entire staff a 10 star rating, I would! I really can't say enough good things about how wonderfully they have all cared for my parents. I honestly don't worry about them as I know they are so well taken care of. The only reason I didn't give Parkwood 5 stars is because the grounds look very tired, unwelcoming, and need improvements.

A tour for options

We toured this community. They offer a different environment for the residents. the staff is friendly. This was a different type of community that we were needing for my mom's care. We did like the staff and the care that is available. The menu was appealing. We would suggest that other families tour this community for the care of a loved one.

Excellent Experience So Far

I just spoke with my sister the other day, and she is doing excellent since her move to this community. I know she is safe, and in a good facility here. The staff is treating her well, and taking good care of her. Everything is working out well for her in this community, and I would recommend it.

Toured and I Saw Separated Buildings

The main person was out and we had a different person give us the tour. It was good and I was shown a nice apartment. However the units were too far from the main area and one would have to go outside to get to places and it was not going to fit for my mom. I did not want her to walk far to her meals.

Positive experience at Parkwood retirement comm.

My parents have now been at Parkwood for 16 days. They are settling in and making new friends. The staff is so friendly and helpful. The kitchen staff knew my parents name, and mine, the second day we were in line for a meal. So far the food is good and my mother hasn't cooked since they arrived. There are enough activities to keep anyone busy. The grounds are nice and have a ton of very mature trees, very homey. The other residents have been very helpful and friendly too. They have only been there a short time, but all is good and they are happy. My dad has some dementia, so his adjustment is slower. My mom is having a great time. One nice perk is they have apt. that you can rent if you come for a visit. That was a very nice feature while moving them in. [Removed], and the whole staff has been awesome and we so appreciate all of their help!

I had a great time!

I was at the Parkwood for a short period of time and had a great time there. Everyone was friendly and I really enjoyed talking to the other residents and staff. I made the best of the situation.

Love this place

We moved my Dad to Parkwood six months ago. I had two friends from church who live at Parkwood and are very happy so I thought that was the best possible referral. The staff is always around, super helpful and friendly. You can be busy and social, or quiet and private. Plenty of activities offered. The choice is yours. Meals are good and take-home is available for those times when you have a conflicting appointment with lunch. This is an older facility, but it is cozy, well maintained and the residents love living there. Options for 1 bedroom, 1 bedroom extra, and 2 bedroom size apartments with patio/balcony. Dad has acclimated well and is enjoying life at Parkwood.

We chose the BEST!

We helped Mom relocate to Parkwood about six months ago from California. Parkwood offered the 2 meals a day we wanted as well as 24 hour oncall staff. The decor is a plus. Mom didn't want a modern stainless and chrome decor. The couches in the lobby and the comfy dining chairs are just her speed. The staff is unbelievable...so personal and warm and caring. At any price we couldn't have chosen better!

We Had A Rude Experience

We did not like our experience when trying to take a tour. The gentlemen we dealt with was rude. After we heard the price and informed him it was too much, he stated a rude comment about not affording it and said bye, no tour was given. We were early by 20 minutes for the tour and I was not impressed.

Mark Gustafson

Thank you for providing us with this valuable feedback. We would welcome the opportunity to have a discussion so that we may better understand and address the concerns expressed. Please feel free to contact us by calling our direct line at [removed] and requesting Mark Gustafson, Executive Director of Parkwood Retirement. Your feedback is very important so that we can meet and exceed expectations.

Above And Beyond!!

My loved one was about to move into this community but, due to some health issues they weren't able to. We really liked Parkwood Retirement for my mother. Everything was beautiful. Staff were friendly, meals looked very good and it was a very well up-kept community. I would definitely recommend it to friends and family.

Very nice place

We're very pleased with how things have turned out at Parkwood Retirement! It's a nice looking, clean, well kept community. The staff is very personable and professional, and I think they do a great job looking after the residents. They're definitely worth a look, if you're looking into senior living options in the area!

My Review of Parkwood Retirement in Bedford, TX

My wife passed away on Nov. 19, 2011. I lived at The Abbey in No. Richland Hills for 5 yrs. Then I felt I wanted to move to a retirement center where there were more people my age. I put down a deposit 1 year ago at Park Place. After 12 months, the apartment size I wanted did not open up. Subsequently, I put a deposit down for Meadow Lakes in North Richland Hills. A week before I was to move in, they returned my deposit--must have had someone willing to pay more. I visited 5 locations. Subsequently, I visited Parkwood Retirement and was greatly impressed:
1. They had a great discount offered for 2016 if you signed in December, 2015. I took it!
2. The size of the apartment was close to the one I was currently living in. My furniture fit just right.
3. Not only was the size and cost great, the staff was very friendly, informed and helpful.
4. I moved in last week and love the staff, the food quality and variety, and the friendliness of the residents! I never thought such a place would be so attractive and accommodating. It's the best!
5. I made the right choice and love it here! I rate it as a 5-star facility. I recommend it to all Seniors! Check this one out before you make your final decision. Oh yes, about a dozen members of our church already live here. It's a great fellowship. You'll love it too. Come join us!

The right choice

Our experience here at Parkwood has been more than I had expected. The care and friendly attitudes from the staff are reflected in the residents' loving concern for each other. A true family feeling exists here, and there are so many very worthwhile activities that it is hard to keep up, but all are very good and contribute to the camaraderie of those who participate. All in all, more than I bargained for, and much better than I observed in all the other communities that I visited. I am certain we made the right choice

Very nice place

We're very pleased with how things have turned out with Parkwood Retirement! The facility is clean and well kept, and the staff is friendly and knowledgeable about senior care. They're incredibly responsive to any communications or requests, and they've done a great job helping my loved one get settled in!

Kind and Helpful Staff

My loved one wishes he didn't feel as if they were keeping an eye on him, so maybe if they were a little more discreet he would feel more comfortable. As far as my experience goes, they are very kind and as helpful as they can be, so I think that they do a good job. I don't have anything in mind that they can improve on.

Large and convenient. Separate bldgs. with walk ways. No evening meals & electric added. Internet/WIFI was questionable.

A Good Experience

As far as improvements, the only thing would be to change up and have a few more varied activities, instead of the same thing every time. As far as everything else, it has just been a good experience as far as the facility and the people with I have worked with.

A lovely quiet setting close to medical facilities. Friendly staff and residents. There are a range of living options within the same geographical area. The Independent/Assisted Living buildings have outside entrances, a central gazebo and one elevator per building. Walkways between the buildings are covered.

It's been really good so far.

It's been really good so far. We haven't had any complaints. The upkeep and the maintenance are good. We are happy with them. I would give them a five at this point.

Staff is friendly and welcoming. The apartments are being updated as tenants move out. Pleasant atmosphere and lots of things to do if you choose, or you can have your privacy.

So far so good.

So far so good. I cannot rate the activities because my loved one does not participate in them. Parkwood Retirement is a friendly and clean community. The value is also great. The care services are 5 stars as well. I would highly recommend this place.

Very homey atmosphere, nice caring staff. Only negative is washer/dryer not in apartment which is major for mom.

She is very happy there.

She is very happy there. The people are very warm and welcoming. The food is very good. They have little get togethers. It's going very good. The only issue she is having is that they are a little slow to respond to maintenance issues. Other than that it's great!

I see a lot of happy faces there.

My loved one is really happy there. She is participating in the activities, and she likes the food. She loves sitting out on the balcony, the access to outside, is one of the reasons we chose them. I see a lot of happy faces there.

Everything is good, they are doing fine.

Everything is good, they are doing fine. I don't have any complaints. It's clean and they do what they are supposed to.

extremely friendly

Everybody here is extremely friendly, both the staff and the residents! Before I even moved in I had people coming up to me saying "you're really going to love it here!" and they were absolutely right. They have very neat activities, offering a little something for everyone. I can't relax think of anything they need to do to improve. The food is excellent. I am really happy here and thankful to be here!

On a scale of 1 to 5, I give them a 6!

They are great! They could not be more accommodating. If we had chosen any other place, I don't think we would still be there. My loved one is very difficult, and they have juts been fantastic. They have been so understanding, and Mark and Leslie are outstanding! On a scale of 1 to 5, I give them a 6!

My mom loves this place

Great staff, good food, my mom who is quite particular loves it here.

Everyone is very friendly.

My loved one doesn’t need any special care. It’s just independent living. Everyone is very friendly. The apartments are nice. I wish they offered an evening meal. They offer a breakfast and a full lunch. If you don’t finish your lunch, they offer a to go container. They have very nice outside areas. We chose it because it was pet friendly and because it was close to us.

Parkwood Family Atmosphere

My dad lived at Parkwood for ten years. The staff was consistently friendly and cooperative. The community atmosphere was just what dad was looking for, and he thrived. In the Parkwood community. One of the other things that sets Parkwood apart is that each apartment opens to the outside and faces a courtyard with a gazebo.

My Mother Loves It Here!

Mom has lived here going on 3 years and has enjoyed every moment. She feels very safe and secure. The food is wonderful and the activities director, Amy, is everybody's favorite. She brought a bus load of residents to visit mom while in rehab to surprise her on her birthday! And Mark, the director, is so caring. Recently, I was in my mother's apt decorating her tree when in comes Mark with a bowl of soup and a cinnamon roll. He knew she had not been feeling well. And you will see him and other staff members walking resident's dogs!! Parkwood is not the fanciest place out there but this place stands out among all others as being the most caring. NOTE: Parkwood Healthcare (next door) provides private rooms at no additional charge to the residents here that are over there for rehab. And the rehab is fantastic, also.

She liked it a lot except t...

She liked it a lot except that it is not under one roof and would have to be in the elements. The shower/tub would be a problem.

Best location and marvelous...

Best location and marvelous. We will plan a tour when my aunt can come in from East Texas to visit. The only drawback is it doesn't qualify for military wife supplement, as I understand it, which would make it perfect.

Great place for mom!!

I am very impressed with Parkwood. The staff is friendly,helpful and really caring. The food is wonderful, the activities are well planned. My mother was sure she would hate her new home. She has come to really like it. It is not easy for anyone to give up their homes, but Parkwood becomes home and family.

Wonderful Staff

The care is fine but I have a lady from homewatch that we've been using for years - she's like a daughter to us - so we're using her instead of the stuff they have here. We haven't been able to take advantage of many of the activites yet. We did sign up to go to a play on the first of October.

Downsizing is very hard but it's not their fault. It would be the same anywhere. The staff is wonderful here. The food is not as good as my wife's cooking but it's adequate.

A Wonderful Retirement Option

My husband and I visited Parkwood on behalf of his mother who was living in an apartment with no assistance. Since she could no longer drive and she was having some memory issues, we decided to look for a living option that would provide services for her, but still give her the feeling of the independent living that she likes. We loved everything about Parkwood. The residents and staff are so friendly. We particularly like the cafeteria style dining. There are plenty of organized activities. And best of all, my mother-in-law just loves her new home.

Great Assisted Living

We were in the assisted living portion of this community and we were really pleased with it. We really loved this community. The staff was very nice and the community was always very clean. They have a lot of activities at least for the assisted living portion of the community. The director would always respond very quickly to any inquiry. They were very accommodating and worked with the residents as long as they could.

gorgeous

gorgeous

They were able to offer us a fantasti...

They were able to offer us a fantastic move-in special and a one bedroom at a great price even though a few items are at extra cost. Outreach coordinator has been friendly and professional.

Good tour. My husband really liked t...

Good tour. My husband really liked this place. However, I fear that Mom and Stepdad would have difficulty getting from their room to the dining room due to the maze of covered walkways which still let in the heat in summer and cold in winter. Also too easy to just walk away. I think they need more restriction or monitored entry and exit.

Prices may be more reasonable.

Prices may be more reasonable.

Experience the Parkwood difference - experience a community that has been locally owned and operated for over twenty-five years. Parkwood is unique in many regards - many of our staff have been with us for ten years or longer (some as long as twenty.) Parkwood has a beautiful independent campus nestled in the woods in one of the prettiest parts of Bedford. Our rates are approximately 20% below those of our competitors and we charge no community fee at move-in. Parkwood offers independent living for active seniors in beautiful surroundings with spacious efficiency, one bedroom and two bedroom apartment homes. Services include two home-cooked meals served daily, weekly housekeeping, scheduled transportation, monitored emergency call systems, and scheduled activities & outings. Our property features a beauty shop, fitness center, computer room, library, convenience store, laundry facilities and billiards room. Non-medical assisted services are available on site, and full healthcare services are available next door at our sister community, Parkwood Healthcare. Parkwood is conveniently located two blocks south of Harris Methodist H.E.B. Hospitalin the beautiful mid-cities area.